Knack 2

Jun 15

Jun 15

3D Creation Tool SculptrVR Comes to PS VR June 19

Create, carve, and share highly detailed 3D sculptures using simple tools in virtual reality.

Nathan Rowe's Avatar Posted by Founder

Hello everyone! This is Nathan Rowe, the founder of SculptrVR. I’m excited to announce the release of SculptrVR this Tuesday on PS VR! SculptrVR is built from the ground up to maximize your creative potential in VR. SculptrVR’s voxel engine lets you create, carve, and share insanely detailed sculptures with 10,000x zoom.

SculptrVR’s origin is three years back. When I first heard about VR with tracked controllers in the summer of 2015, I couldn’t stop imagining what kinds of creation would be possible with those tools. I was convinced that VR with tracked controllers would make 3D creation easier and more intuitive than drawing on paper ever was. Our users agree: creating 3D objects in SculptrVR is easier than drawing in 2D ever was!

Drawing recognizable objects in 2D requires training and understanding of things like perspective, outlines, and shading. In SculptrVR, you directly lay out 3D shapes, not their lines, and the graphics engine handles perspective and shading. Humans understand the world as objects, not outlines. This means even a 4-year-old can sculpt a recognizable apple, dog, television, tree, or flower.

ScultprVR Screenshot

On PlayStation VR you have all the intuitive power that two hands reaching directly into the world gives you, and a tracked head to give full perspective and visual understanding of the scene. This makes creation intuitive, easy, and exact. When you combine that with SculptrVR’s 10,000x zoom, the power and precision in your hands is unrivaled!

Creating the right tools to express that power naturally without overwhelming the user has been a large part of our effort for the last three years. We’ve worked hard to provide an easy-to-learn, intuitive, creative experience without giving up any of the potential. So far we’ve settled on nine shapes that can be used to add and carve away material, a smoothing and bulge/deflate tool for adjusting surfaces, some painting brushes, and the copy/paste tool. We also have the ability to control the day/night cycle, multiple materials (metal, clay, and glowing), and a layer system.

ScultprVR Screenshot

The copy/paste tool is my all-around favorite tool that we’ve created. You can think of it as the “everything brush” or a custom stamp tool. Instead of sculpting one flower at a time in a field, you can rapidly fill that field with flowers. Or create a stadium with 1,000 chairs. You can also use it as carving tool to quickly add surface texture to a flat wall.

ScultprVR Screenshot

It usually takes about 5-10 minutes to familiarize yourself with the tools, but then you can jump right into your first masterpiece! The SculptrVR voxel engine automatically ensures that surface detail is based on time and effort spent, not the size of the sculpture you make. You can sculpt whole landscapes miles wide and spend hours adding the tiniest of details.

ScultprVR Screenshot

For example, you can build a rocky, snow-capped mountain with a stream flowing down its face. Along the stream, barely even visible from the mountaintop, is a farmhouse. In the house is a vase full of flowers resting on the kitchen table, and on one of the flowers is a spotted ladybug. That’s the power of SculptrVR’s multi-scale voxel engine.

ScultprVR Screenshot

When you’re done, you can save your creations to the online gallery. I spend a bit of time every day looking through the gallery to see what new creations have been uploaded. It’s incredible to browse and see some of the things users have made with SculptrVR. I can’t wait to see the creations you all upload!

We don’t think of SculptrVR as a finished, perfect product. We’re always testing out new tools to add and other new features, so please feel free to drop us a line and make suggestions! We’ve got a few things in mind to bring to SculptrVR in the next few updates. Importing reference images, exporting obj & fbx meshes, a snapping mode for geometric designs, new shapes, and even multiplayer!

I hope you all enjoy SculptrVR as much as I’ve enjoyed making it so far!

Cheers and happy sculpting!

-Nathan

Add Your Own

Dethfuse said:

June 15th, 9:08 am

I’m always interested in these kind of VR games but I’m always very bad at them. Regardless I do find it fun to just mess around for a while. Any chance this game is going to trophies like CoolPaintr VR? If so, will it get a platinum?

NathanSculptrVR said:

June 15th, 10:29 am

It has trophies! But no platinum :-(

SonicPrinny42 said:

June 15th, 9:27 am

Will this software have the ability to use motion in an artwork piece? Even if it’s just a small scale (leaves & grass in the wind, babbling brook or twinkling star). Or would that be relegated to a “wistful-thinking” list, for when pretty much everything is done and resources to continue working on it are available?

I wonder if/I’d love to see if anyone’s crazy/detail-oriented enough to render the land of Hyrule (any LoZ game, with simulated 8-bit or hyper-realistic design) or Termina (@time of impact, complete with laughing Skull Kid). Or render a complete Star-Fleet Federation V Borg Cube battle above a planet, with all the individuals in each ship & what they’re doing, along with an accurate Starfield. XD

NathanSculptrVR said:

June 15th, 10:35 am

We’ve seen some incredible creations! No one has done Hyrule or Termina. You could be the first!

But the Borg Cube was made over 2 years ago by an artist friend of mine. That’s before PSVR was even released :P

Tomoprime said:

June 15th, 9:40 am

Bravo! It looks like it’s going great! I look forward to when your finished app supports export of models with texture materials and bump maps etc.

Until then, will you have demo?

NathanSculptrVR said:

June 15th, 10:38 am

Ah I think I used poor wording in the post.

SculptrVR is finished, but not final. We’re releasing on Tuesday! I just meant that it’s not absolutely finished and we intend to keep adding features over time. Export should be ready in our first update!

The models are not UV wrapped, so you’ll have to do some work to texture them and add bump maps.

NathanSculptrVR said:

June 15th, 10:47 am

I forgot to credit the artists in the post!

The kiwi, the tree, and the skeleton hand are all made by @topgunsi.

The spaceman and the mecha-chimp are both made by @chuckleone.

The cat and mouse is made by @ACFred.

Thanks all!

Fnord said:

June 15th, 11:07 am

What sorts of export options are available? For instance, can a creation be exported as an STL file?

NathanSculptrVR said:

June 15th, 11:29 am

We didn’t get export ready for launch day. That’ll come in the first update. We’ll support .obj and .fbx. It’s pretty easy to convert from .obj to .stl, though!

Twisted_Brian said:

June 15th, 11:50 am

Will there be any ability to access your creations outside of the PlayStation? Like on my computer as an STL file? Would be cool to design something, then send it to my 3d printer.

Twisted_Brian said:

June 15th, 11:51 am

Sorry already answered it, I didn’t refresh :)

djlosada said:

June 15th, 5:12 pm

Hi Nathan!

SculptrVR It’s amazing!

How do I talk to you about review version? Do you have any e-mail?

thanks!

NathanSculptrVR said:

June 15th, 8:41 pm

Hi, thank you!

Send me an email to info@SculptrVR.com

Please make sure you have a way to prove you’re affiliated with a news agency, blog, or web channel!

lucasmcq said:

June 15th, 6:25 pm

I will be using this every day, the best bit, i think, is the learning part. You have to learn to succeed!

NathanSculptrVR said:

June 15th, 8:42 pm

I’m excited to see what you make! Please upload your favorites too the content server :-)

Steamkraft said:

June 16th, 2:07 am

That looks very nice – realy hope the Update with export comes fast :) – that would be exact what iam loking for – have several 3d Printer and it would be awsom to get VR created models to real :)

SirRealDeal said:

June 16th, 5:50 am

I’m interested but I’ve already bought this for Oculus Go.

And I definitely suck at it on Go.

I’ve searched & searched for good tutorial videos. To no avail.

Will two Move™ controllers be used a once?

SirRealDeal said:

June 16th, 5:52 am

Nevermind. I see two controllers being used in video.

NanoMaus said:

June 16th, 11:58 pm

The more creative tools we have on PSVR the better. I can’t wait to purchase it on tuesday. :D

Orain88 said:

June 17th, 12:11 am

Wow, I can’t tell you how excited I am to get my hands on this! I just have a couple questions. Will there be a symmetry tool? And is it possible to import 3d objects?

NathanSculptrVR said:

June 18th, 9:08 am

Yes! There’s a symmetry plane that you can set for each layer. That way you can make symmetric objects on different planes by placing them in different layers!

Fi3ryPath0fPa1n said:

June 17th, 9:51 pm

Yeah, but how much is it going to cost on release when it comes out tomorrow? $40, $60?

NathanSculptrVR said:

June 18th, 9:09 am

Man I wish I’d included that info in the post..

SculptrVR will be $19.99 with a 10% launch discount for PS Plus users.

Fi3ryPath0fPa1n said:

June 18th, 10:02 am

Thanks for the information. I can’t wait for this to come out. I’ve got some big plans to draw up.

Dr_Mummson said:

June 18th, 5:50 am

Is it possible to use spotify at the same time as SculptrVR?

NathanSculptrVR said:

June 18th, 9:13 am

I actually haven’t tried.. I’d love to hear how well it works!

Dr_Mummson said:

June 19th, 2:40 am

Aparently not all games/apps allow the use of spotify at the same time, so as far as I know each developer has to implement it.

Spendleb said:

June 19th, 4:45 am

Is this also available in the UK store as I can’t see it anywhere?

Itz_xXRICKITYXx said:

June 19th, 1:06 pm

I also am looking for this in the UK. Will it release here also?

mentholmikke said:

June 19th, 1:44 pm

What’s going on with this games release been looking on the PlayStation Network all day can’t find it?

pumpkinempanada said:

June 19th, 7:17 pm

I love it! But how the hell do I save? Where is the menu? Also the color palette is almost unusable it jumps around so much. What’s the trick to getting it to stay still?

pumpkinempanada said:

June 19th, 7:41 pm

Ah, I figured it out. I’d like to be able undo with a button press instead of having to aim at the palette. Also I wish the sizes didn’t reset every time you switch away from a tool!

dbtwilliams said:

June 20th, 9:33 am

Hi there, I have a question about the saving and sharing aspects of sculptr Vr. Any time I save something it seems to go up online even though it’s a work in progress that I’m not really looking to share yet. Is there a way to save a sculpture without it going online?

wonkammo said:

June 24th, 6:52 pm

Will there be PS4 Pro enhanced refresh rates (120hz) like on CoolPaintrVR?

mking6827 said:

June 27th, 6:00 am

I have a friend that downloaded this great program last week, now I cannot get it, and now for some reason the program has been taken down for the PS4 PSVR!
I cannot download it or find it on the PlayStation store!
Was there a problem with the program SculptrVR?
Is this problem temporary and will it be back in PlayStation store soon?
Please let me know what’s going on – I really want this program!
Thanks!

Joepie999 said:

June 29th, 2:23 am

I would love to see a color picker.
If I make my own color and replace it I can pick it again.

Can’t wait for a update. Love it that the PS4 has a sculpting program.
Keep it going. Awesome!

Joepie999 said:

June 29th, 2:30 am

Ow….and I would love to see a easy way of making a color. Doesn’t work great now choosing a new color.

Again….awesome!

Pat_Rom11 said:

July 3rd, 4:48 am

Hi i’m French I wonder when Sculpt vr will be available on the European and French PS4 STORE, thank you for your answer I ever try Cool paint it’s just very cool but I think that Sculptr vr will be more Powerfull and rich. Thank you for your answer.

Pat

CrunchyChitin said:

July 8th, 11:51 am

How do you get the “A True Connoisseur” trophy? I’ve view more than five demos in a single session but the trophy has not popped. Is this trophy glitched? Right now it is listed as 0.0%, so it seems like no one has gotten it.

CRZYCLOWNFACE said:

July 15th, 4:38 am

PLEASE HELP! I love this game. Never have I experienced a more relaxing, even possibly therapeutic game. But I’m one of the lucky few that have experienced a layer loading glitch for my game save. My first project on the game and it’s absolutely useless after hours of work. I don’t want to hate this game. But I can’t play it after that. It’s such a shame that this was my first experience with the game. But how can I play it after that? Is there anything coming in a possible update that will maybe fix the glitch, maybe even let me work on my project again in the near future? Thank you.