PlayStation VR

Jul 17

Jul 17

No Man’s Sky Next is a Massive, Free Update Launching July 24 on PS4

Hello Games' ever-evolving universe-spanning adventure gets full multiplayer support, a visual overhaul, major base-building upgrades, and more.

Sean Murray's Avatar Posted by Founder, Hello Games

Hello!

On July 24th No Man’s Sky Next will launch as a free update for everyone who owns the game. On behalf of myself, and the team at Hello Games I just want to say – Thank you. We are so excited to have made Next, and to continue to improve and develop No Man’s Sky, because of you, the community who play, explore and share this universe with us. It means so much to us.

No Man's Sky Next

We are focused on development, but we know people are hungry for details so wanted to share this before launch.

When No Man’s Sky launched it was broad in a way that almost no other game is, but with four updates it has become broader and so much deeper too. Now the release of Next brings a full multiplayer experience which makes the universe even more rich. We can’t wait for you to play, but hopefully you can see from the trailer this is a very new experience.

Here are a few things you might notice from the trailer…

No Man's Sky Next

Multiplayer

• Team up a small team of friends and explore the universe together, or be joined by random travellers.
  • You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive.
  • Tiny shelters or complex colonies that you build as a team are shared for all players.
  • Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies.
  • Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks and trails to share online.
  • Character customisation allows you to personalise your appearance.

Visual Overhaul

• The game is fully playable in third or first person, both on-foot and in ship.
  • Planetary rings and improved space visuals make space more beautiful than ever.
  • Dramatically improved planetary terrain generation, ground textures, water and clouds bring the environment to life.
  • Significantly more detail added to ships, NPCs and buildings.

No Man's Sky Next

Unlimited Base Building

• Bases can now be built anywhere on any planet.
  • Dramatically increased base building complexity and size limits.
  • Hundreds of new base parts.
  • Own multiple bases.

Command Freighters

• Assemble and upgrade a fleet of frigates and command them from the bridge of your freighter.
  • Send your fleet out to into the universe, or deploy them to help you as you explore a specific system.
  • Improved freighter base building allows a truly custom capital ship.
  • Invite your friends aboard and take on challenging multiplayer missions from the Galactic Commision Station on your bridge.

No Man's Sky Next

Nearly two years ago our small team of friends, with a shared love sci-fi, opened up the universe of No Man’s Sky for the first time. It was an innovative, weird and at times lonely game. I loved that, it reminded me of the science fiction books I grew up with.

This is an incredibly important update for us, but it’s also just another step in a longer journey, and we’ll continue to support No Man’s Sky in this way for the foreseeable future.

We hope you enjoy this and what follows – and we look forward to meeting you out there! Our journey continues.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Zig_Justice said:

July 17th, 8:15 am

Oh man, can’t wait!

. o O (Just a week away, too!)

DuoMaxwell007 said:

July 17th, 8:15 am

It took 2 years but the game is finally what it should have been day one. And look at those graphics it’s not nearly as ugly as it once was, and finally 3rd person play thank god.

Only thing missing now is VR

four24twenty said:

July 17th, 11:20 am

I would re-download this if I could play in VR.

Micropolis said:

July 23rd, 3:55 pm

I would die if this had VR. I would pay for a VR DLC. Otherwise I don’t know if I’ll be able to get back into it.

Veritech48 said:

July 17th, 8:15 am

Is PS+ going to be required for the multiplayer stuff?

GaMeR_bOi_83 said:

July 17th, 10:37 am

Unless it’s a Free-2-Play game yes you will need PS+ to access the multiplayer portion of the game.

immadummee said:

July 17th, 7:25 pm

Nope. It’s free to play online. Confirmed already.

guypoope said:

July 18th, 12:45 am

got a source for that? Are you sure you didn’t just misinterpret them saying the update itself was free?

Thunderlight10 said:

July 18th, 8:54 pm

The back of the No Man’s Sky Xbox One box art did not say multiplayer require Xbox Live Gold so it probably wont require PS Plus as well for multiplayer so thats great!

waynekoski47 said:

July 23rd, 4:18 pm

I just tried to down load and I need to be a plus member .I have no interest for multiplayer so will I be able to play Next stand alone??

SinceByDarren said:

July 17th, 8:17 am

It’s unfair to say this is what the game should have been day 1. I’m glad they continued to plug away at it, and it was a very ambitious game, initially that couldn’t deliver on the wonder. After all these updates, there seems to definitely be some fun to be had. I’ll jump in again.

KevoTheChampion said:

July 17th, 8:45 am

True; Was looking forward to multiplayer / co-op at launch… I’m stoked for this update :)

fgmnt said:

July 17th, 8:19 am

Praise the prawn curry

snogglethorpe said:

July 17th, 8:22 am

They really outdid themselves, this looks utterly awesome…

nynextx said:

July 17th, 8:32 am

Please bring it to PSVR!

Shadio_US said:

July 17th, 8:35 am

Are there any new trophies included in this update?

hawktooey said:

July 17th, 8:45 am

I need to play this in VR. That’s the only way to get me back in.

CallnMrMojoRisin said:

July 17th, 9:38 am

Then please stay out. Not every game needs VR.

drd7of14 said:

July 18th, 11:25 am

@CallnMrMojoRisin

True, not every game needs VR…But this is definitely a game that would benefit from it. Anything with interesting bright visuals looks great in VR. We don’t have many open worlds to explore (let alone galaxies) on the PSVR platform.

Something aside from Skyrim would be nice. Doesn’t hurt you if other players are in VR, since you can still play without it.

hawktooey said:

July 19th, 2:31 am

Lol callnmrmojorisin spoken like a person who never played VR. There isn’t a game VR won’t improve, so you might wanna try it before you comment on it’s usefulness.

Shaadan said:

July 17th, 8:52 am

Sean made NMS Great Again! Thanks all team!

EggySong85 said:

July 17th, 9:05 am

Haha! I can’t wait to try this out! Jot me down as another VR hopeful, though. I’d even pay extra for that privilege if I had to!

bL00dY650 said:

July 17th, 9:06 am

more than i expected keep the god work i loved from the day 1 i have it on pc and ps4.

Captn-Ash said:

July 17th, 9:07 am

HYPE OVERLOAD. I REPEAT. HYPE OVERLOAD.

LaurenLark said:

July 17th, 9:16 am

I’m so thrilled beyond belief! THANK YOU HELLO!! I’m a pre-order fan still playing, can’t wait!

soutoyobes said:

July 17th, 9:18 am

Well done again, Hello Games.

Idta said:

July 17th, 9:19 am

Omg omg omg third person view! Yessss finally!!! I am wondering if coop will include couch coop or just online multiplayer? Would love to play on the same screen with my boyfriend and now that it can be in third person I don’t see why that shouldn’t be possible. I’m so so excited! Can’t wait to jump back into the game!

SamSquanch187 said:

July 17th, 9:28 am

If they haven’t overhauled NPCs and brought those to life, I’m still not interested in coming back. I don’t care about MP… Make SP more engaging and I’ll be happy.

kbcaptain said:

July 17th, 9:35 am

Holy crap!!! time to dust of my copy….

FifthDream said:

July 17th, 9:38 am

I’m in awe of this update. It’s like a whole new game (again). Just wanted to say thank you for the continued work on this. I’ve loved it since the beginning, but i keep finding reasons to love it even more.

paulogy said:

July 17th, 10:24 am

I enjoyed NMS for what it was at launch, but continue to be amazed with each new update, and this one is clearly the most substantial yet. Thank you Sean and team for continuing to expand the universe that is No Man’s Sky!

Slimjim_Dolee said:

July 17th, 10:35 am

Much love from the No Man’s Sky community! Sean and Hello Games have been putting out free updates for the last two years and NEXT looks to be the biggest and best of them all! Can’t wait to squad up and head out into the universe with friends!

EightBitArmada said:

July 17th, 10:44 am

Sean, it’s been a long time! Since stepping down as mod, I’ve continued to play NMS. I’m absolutely ecstatic that you’re still supporting the game. Thanks a ton, you’ve made a life-long fan.

Regards,
8_Bit_Armada

Asterisktec-CA said:

July 17th, 10:53 am

Well done Sean and all the team at Hello Games, I’ve been playing No Mans Sky since launch and watched it grow and mature. The commitment to your vision for NMS is nothing short of spectacular, I can hardly wait for NEXT week.

koty92 said:

July 17th, 11:12 am

I noticed xbox gets a exclusive suit and weapon for there pre order will ps get any exclusive suits or weapons as well?

Hiero_Glyph said:

July 17th, 12:07 pm

Yeah, we got early beta access for 2 years at the low, low price of $60.

I agree that PS needs some sort of exclusive content for all the trouble at launch.

Jisatsu_Kiddo said:

July 19th, 12:56 am

incoming what it should have been day one comments.

gpnymz said:

July 17th, 11:25 am

Looks really nice, but I hope multiplayer is optional. I like the lonely explorer feeling the game has had up to this point.

Otterpoet said:

July 17th, 11:56 am

Hello Games never ceases to amaze me with their continuing dedication to their customers and players. I’m definitely reacquainting myself with NMS in anticipation of this update.

Marcellino said:

July 17th, 12:10 pm

Thank you, Sean, for not throwing in the towel when the hate came pouring in. I’ve always believed in No Man’s Sky and I can’t wait to check out all the work you and your team have been up to.

The universe awaits…

MrBeens said:

July 17th, 12:30 pm

Did you add an ending this time?

aaron_bush_96 said:

July 23rd, 4:50 am

whats the point adding an ending if its meant to go on forever

Fitzroy28 said:

July 17th, 2:10 pm

PS4 Pro optimized? I haven’t read anywhere it says it. I would hope that the visual updates include 4k.

aceyw said:

July 17th, 6:17 pm

The box art for the Xbox One version says it will support 4K so I imagine the PS4 Pro version will

LastPlace09 said:

July 17th, 5:40 pm

Stopped in to see if this update would include PSVR.

Does not, but happy to see the other new things.

SpooNManX said:

July 17th, 8:15 pm

I’ve enjoyed No Man’s Sky from day one. I quickly poured 100+ hours into it. More than just about any other PS4 game. And each new patch is like FREE DLC to me. Props to Hello Games for doing this!

SpooNManX said:

July 17th, 8:18 pm

and.. PSVR support would be truly amazing!

YungShep said:

July 17th, 8:35 pm

this update looks absolutely insane. glad i purchased it day 1 and glad the devs are still supporting it. i personally haven’t played it in forever.

to whoever asking, no man’s sky already supports 4k. i did redownload when i heard it was getting a graphic bump. it appears that HDR is implemented in the shots above.

mikelly said:

July 17th, 9:32 pm

I’ve been in love with No Man’s Sky since before day one and it just keeps getting better! Thanks for your commitment and ridiculously hard work! This is the only game I’ve been able to play flat since I got PSVR over a year ago. You guys are pulling me back to flat for a bit more haha! One of my top five games ever made!

I’d feel lucky to pay for a psvr update with whatever downgrades are necessary if at all possible. Thanks again for this amazing universe we have to explore!

Thunderlight10 said:

July 18th, 8:51 pm

They can add it in a future free update, put it as a separate mode so it wont be downgraded. I love the free updates they are doing! I love this game it keeps getting better with each update!

peiKINGer said:

July 18th, 1:19 am

PSVR and i am in!!!

holden_v8_nz said:

July 18th, 2:25 am

Add VR and I’ll buy it.

Saimy69 said:

July 18th, 6:14 am

Sweet, keep up the good work and thank you.

CarterGladden said:

July 18th, 7:30 am

I am so excited, and I agree that VR is the only thing missing, if they got no mans sky on the psvr, it would change how we expirience the game

JMG24BAD said:

July 18th, 8:29 am

I bought the game yesterday when the trailer was revealed. I can’t hate on the game anymore. I’m going to give it a try.

drd7of14 said:

July 18th, 11:23 am

I doubt it’s here, cause Hello Games would have mentioned it, but I’ll ask anyways.

Any news for a splitscreen option?

These sorts of games (Minecraft, Ark, 7 Days to Die) are always more fun with splitscreen [even if the players are limited by some sort of tether or whatever]. This game would be great to play with my younger brother, as long as I was with him as opposed to playing for him.

That being said, whilst I expect it not to be there at launch, it would be awesome if this considered for a future update in a few months. I’m really excited for NEXT, and curious to see the changes your studio has dedicated over these nearly past 2 years post launch.

Congrats on never giving up guys, despite the criticism. It would have been to easy to shrug it off, but you worked through it to bring the promise of this title to reality…Even if it took longer than you’d had in mind.

Thunderlight10 said:

July 18th, 8:52 pm

That would be cool if they can add that!

Galaxy_HB said:

July 18th, 6:57 pm

What time will NEXT update be available to download on the 24th? I live in the EST time zone. THANKS!

FlowPR69 said:

July 19th, 1:13 am

Since when do you pay for updates?

CallnMrMojoRisin said:

July 19th, 4:57 am

With all the changes and additions they have made, they could have easily gotten away with selling this as a new “enhanced version” of the game. It’s pretty good of them to be giving all of this away for free to people who already got the game. Though, of course, some people will feel entitled to the new content, I’m sure.

TiagoAlex75 said:

July 19th, 3:45 am

I’m thrilled with the updates. The only thing I was wishing for that’s missing is the psvr support, but I still hope that’s a surprise reserved for the launch day. If not let’s hope for it in the “next” update.

Tric-Out said:

July 19th, 3:55 am

My girl leaves on the 23rd for a month and halve, launch is on the 24th perfect timing! lol

Mr_Barnes81 said:

July 19th, 5:25 am

Hi all. Any idea what time the NEXT update will go live on psn????

Metreol00047 said:

July 23rd, 5:03 am

I have desperately been trying to find this out! Was hoping to know so I could work a half day before it releases if it’s only available after midday. As things stand I’ve taken the whole day off, playing it safe!

Metreol00047 said:

July 23rd, 10:27 am

Just in case you don’t know:

Europe, North America:

GMT/WET/UTC: 1PM/13:00

BST: 2PM/14:00

CEST: 3PM/15:00

EST: 9AM/09:00

PST: 6AM/06:00

Australia

AEST: 11PM/23:00

South America

AMT: 5PM/17:00

ART: 10AM/10:00

BOT: 9AM/09:00

Mortal_72 said:

July 19th, 6:09 am

Now if Sony/PlayStation would allow cross platform play this type of game would be truly incredible.
When all the other consoles are allowing it, kinda makes me want to move to a console that doesn’t restrict things like

SWAYX25X7 said:

July 19th, 9:21 am

Somewhere out there, most likely beneath a bridge in some dilapidated hobo commune, the former popstar JoJo is singing “You know it’s just too little, too late.”

CallnMrMojoRisin said:

July 19th, 10:23 am

You can argue “too late” all you want, but “too little”?? You gotta be kidding!

wesleymartins87 said:

July 21st, 1:04 pm

Come on Sony, the only thing missing is this game free on the Plus.

Midair said:

July 21st, 10:47 pm

I’ve been dedicated to this game since day 1 been waiting for this update and is now finally looking like the initial announcment so I am excited keep them updates coming Hello Games! :)

daltix-mi said:

July 23rd, 7:34 pm

so tenho uma pergunta no mans sky next vai precisa de ps plus

PAGE 1 2