PlayStation VR

Jul 24

Jul 24

Guacamelee! 2 Brings Pollo Power to PS4 August 21

Unleash your inner luchador in the sequel to DrinkBox Studios' acclaimed Mexican folklore-inspired platform-brawler.

Gary Corriveau's Avatar Posted by Lead Designer, DrinkBox Studios

Late last year, we announced that Guacamelee! 2 would be released… “soon-ish.” Well, soon-ish has almost arrived at Drinkbox Studios!

We’re thrilled to announce that Guacamelee! 2 will launch for PS4 on August 21st for $19.99, and that you can pre-order the game right now at PlayStation Store with 20% off for PS+ members! Check out the new launch trailer above.

The original Guacamelee! launched in April of 2013. It’s now over five years later and the game still stands as the definitive Mexican-Folklore-Inspired-Luchador-Platform-Brawler-Metroidvania! How do we top that?

More Chicken!

Guacamelee! 2

The power of the pollo reigns supreme throughout Guacamelee! 2.

Small tunnel to traverse? Turn into a chicken and strut right on through.

Giant purple block in your way? Pollo Shot and smash that bad boy to bits.

Wait… what’s that? An orange block? Smash it with an expertly executed Pollo Slide.

Guacamelee! 2

Pollo Shot against bouncy walls and ricochet yourself a rapid path to freedom.

Experience the full glory of Pollo Glide by using air currents to reach unprecedented heights!

But what if the entire fabric of the Mexiverse is at risk of collapsing in on itself? No problem. Stumble upon a secret society of prophetic chickens and prove your worth. Could JUAN be the fabled CHICKEN-MAN!?

Guacamelee! 2

As you can well imagine, these new chicken moves aren’t just for busting your way into exotic new locations. Pollo combat is frantic, furious and fabulous.

In fact, there’s so much new chicken gameplay and content in Guacamelee! 2 that we embedded a genre-busting Pollovania completely inside of the main story’s Metroidvania. The only such game in existence as of the writing of this post… probably.

How to Train Your Luchador

As we were making Guacamelee! 2, it occurred to us that all of the new abilities we were adding would require extensive training for players to properly master. So, we recruited a batch of mostly competent and somewhat knowledgeable characters to fill the role.

Guacamelee! 2

As players progress through the world of Guacamelee! 2, they’ll encounter ability trainers. Each of these trainers has a specialty that they focus on. Complete trainer challenges and they’ll hook you up with powerful upgrades and cool new abilities.

Climb to the peak of fitness with Doña Chamoya or sharpen your beak under the tutelage of Rooster Ramírez. Upgrade your grappling moves with Coscorrona or decipher Uay Coco’s instructions to punch with explosive force!

However, if you really want to fight with finesse, visit Flame Face in one of his many tequila bar franchises and go toe-to-toe against punching Poncho (don’t hold back, he’s paid well for the job).

Guacamelee! 2

A Bigger Game than Ever Before

Guacamelee! 2 is an epic adventure that can be experienced alone or co-operatively with three of your closest amigos. Explore hundreds of new platforming and combat challenges. New abilities such as Eagle Boost, Rocket Kick, GOOOTCHA! and more add to Juan’s awesome arsenal of luchador moves. Upgrade your pollo form with Pollo Shot, Pollo Slide and a plethora of new chicken abilities (some secret, some not so secret). Select strategically from dozens of new skill upgrades to maximize your lucha potential.

So how did we plan to squeeze all of this into a game the size of Guacamelee! ? We didn’t! Thanks to our poor planning, we were forced to create a much larger game than the original. You can expect a bigger, badder world, with all sorts of interesting nooks and crannies to explore and conquer.

Guacamelee! 2

We’ve worked extremely hard on the game over the past two years, and we’re super hyped that people will finally be able to experience Guacamelee! 2 so soon. Please feel free to ask any questions you have in the comments below, and we will try to answer them the best we can!

Totally Digital

Add Your Own

paratan21 said:

July 24th, 8:06 am

No questions, just SO EXCITED for this game being less than a month away! Guacamelee is one of my favorite games of all time and I cannot WAIT to get my hands on the sequel.

JimmyHACK said:

July 24th, 8:10 am

Pre-ordered!

One question. Will the co-op support online co-op or is it local only?

somebignasty said:

July 24th, 8:11 am

Guacamelee! is one of my favorite games of ALL TIME. Today is also my birthday. Thanks for making it the best day ever with this release date announcement. The only things that could make it better:
1. The game releasing today instead (lol)
2. A Juan/Pollo action figure/entire Guacamelee! POP figure line (dreaming)

Thanks for making such great games, Drinkbox. I’m sad that I can only give you $16 for the GOTY. Lol

NightHawk17 said:

July 24th, 8:18 am

Loved Guac1 and Severed, the day one streak shall continue.

Shadio_US said:

July 24th, 8:31 am

Please don’t force me to do co-op stuff for the platinum trophy. That is all I ask. Although I also ask that you give it a more challenging list than the last one

Gary Corriveau's Avatar

Gary Corriveau said:

July 25th, 5:28 am

Done and done. No co-op stuff will be required for the platinum trophy.

beau_29 said:

July 24th, 8:39 am

Preorder in and….. I’m going to the cryogenic chamber. See you August 21st.

Bones00 said:

July 24th, 8:40 am

Is a Vita version possible? Thanks.

GaMeR_bOi_83 said:

July 24th, 9:01 am

Pre-ordered and can’t wait!!!! Me and my wife love part one and still play it to this day.

PuppetShoJustice said:

July 24th, 9:19 am

Sounds wonderful. I loved the first game and I’m excited but I have to address the elephant in the room…

I feel like the original game’s Hyper Turbo Whatever Championship Edition rerelease suggests that we should hold out on an inevitable second version of this game.

So I give you this opportunity to answer, what are the plans here regarding that sort of thing this time around?

Gary Corriveau's Avatar

Gary Corriveau said:

July 25th, 5:28 am

Good question. There are no plans for an enhanced Guacamelee! 2 game. A DLC later down the road? Possibly…

ioanina said:

July 26th, 1:54 pm

DLC for Guacameele! 2… I’m up to it. I would think we may have a boss rush mode of some sort, because Guacamelee! had very little bosses to fight. I’m not too fond of some games having very little bosses, even only having one. Lack of boss variety, you know. Perhaps you could throw in some exclusive bosses in it, maybe?

Are there plans to include art galleries in the game via a patch update later on? I forgot Guacamelee! didn’t have it. I kinda thought having that in the 1st game would be too late, so, perhaps we could have that in Guacamelee! 2. I can presume there’s plenty of artwork that went into making these games, yes? Would like to see that sometime soon.

If not, perhaps we could have separate art books for both games, yes? There’s that option.

Looking forward to Guacamelee! 2!

anszbd1 said:

July 24th, 9:30 am

Day 1 for me :)

As for the question, will finishing the game normally only give us the bad ending like the first game? I don’t like that in the first game, the good ending is locked behind some stupidly hard platform section, I feel like I’m wasting my time finishing the game normally.

Thanks.

GameOverComesAll said:

July 24th, 9:31 am

The first game is my favorite “Metroidvania” game (besides the Castlevania games), so needless to say, I’m looking forward to this.

zepified said:

July 24th, 10:01 am

Words cannot describe how excited I am to once again play another Drinkbox masterpiece… especially so when it’s a sequel to what IMO is without a doubt their best work.

Like another poster stated above… other than the og Metroidvanias (SotN & Super Metroid), the 1st Guacamelee was my favorite in the genre by far. So I just cannot wait to experience a new Guacamelee and sink countless new hours into it.

Thank you Drinkbox for creating such a great game and I hope the Guacamelee saga continues on for a long time.

AriesWarlock said:

July 24th, 10:12 am

Looks cool. Good to hear the game is bigger than the original.

madness3030 said:

July 24th, 11:20 am

NO VITA VERSION?!!!! UGGGGGGGGGHHHH! Well my money is still ready to purchase this! Looks amazing.

modern_soul said:

July 24th, 1:22 pm

I Juant this so game so much

solid_snake125 said:

July 24th, 4:27 pm

I absolutely loved the first Guacamelee! I thoroughly enjoyed obtaining the platinum trophy for it too. This is one of my most anticipated games of the year. I’m so glad to finally see a release date. This is an instant pre-order! Thank you for making a sequel to one of my favorite games!

As for questions, I have two. Do you plan to have any DLC in the future? And will the co-op be local and/or online?

BungieBanHammer said:

July 25th, 5:31 pm

Huge fan of original, Metroidvania luchadors here I come. Will there be a physical release, and if not will there be one planned eventually? I had to buy the original in physical PS4 form even after I beat it digitally =)

twztid13 said:

July 25th, 8:01 pm

I wish the original version of the 1st game on Vita had cross save with the super street fighter 2 turbo edition that was given with PS+, as I didn’t have time to start over & play through much of it again, so I never finished it. I kept thinking I owned it on both systems, but found out it was tgise 2 different versions. Even if the original version was cross buy & cross save, id have bought the dlc. I almost bought it on vita where I have the original version, but if it still wouldn’t have cross save, I may as well wait & play it on ps4. I just have lots of other games i want to play on the HDTV, & the vita only has persona 4 & a few others, so I didn’t get it out that often toward the end of it’s life. Regardless, congrats on the sequel. I’ll definitely be getting it, but I hope I can hold off until I finish the first game before buying it. That’s usually not the case. I’ll pay full price for games when I don’t end up playing them until long after they’ve gone on super sale, or something to that affect.

AirMaxPenny said:

July 31st, 6:32 pm

The first one was amazing. Mainly because you go in blind not knowing what to expect and are simply amazed. Now that the game has lost its sense of surprise, I think I will pass. I was hoping for something new from Drink Box rather than an expansion to the first.