God of War

Aug 01

Aug 01

Monster Hunter: World Adds MMO Mechanics in its FFXIV Collaboration, Live Today

The legendary Behemoth makes his grand debut in the new world today.

Yuri Araujo's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, Capcom

For the first time in the history of Monster Hunter, we have opened up our world to welcome a major creature from another game series. For this special occasion, we have summoned none other than the fearsome Behemoth from Final Fantasy XIV!

Fearless hunters, take up arms, restock your item loadouts, and plan your finest teamwork tactics. The battle against the Behemoth calls upon you, and it requires new levels of coordination and strategies never before demanded in any Monster Hunter game.

Enmity, the wrathful gaze of the Behemoth determines its target, and its relentless attacks will put even the best defenses to the test. Only those prepared to tank these big hits should aim for the Behemoth’s head and draw enmity. I highly recommend weapon types with big shields for this role: Lance, Gunlance and Charge Blade, paired with the armor skills Guard, and Guard Up. Try activating those by wearing Uragaan armor pieces!

Absorbing a constant barrage of attacks will quickly chip away your health. For that, try assigning a teammate to a more support-focused role, much like the roles of a Final Fantasy XIV battle. The Sword & Shield, Light Bowgun and Hunting Horn weapon types are a great fit for this role, while still offering the potential for great damage output. Armor skills like Health Boost and Wide-Range are also very advantageous for all hunters in this quest; both skills can be found in the Lunastra armor set.

Monster Hunter: World – Final Fantasy XIV Collaboration Event

Monster Hunter: World – Final Fantasy XIV Collaboration EventMonster Hunter: World – Final Fantasy XIV Collaboration Event

As for the offensive role, I trust that surviving all the dangers of the New World has been preparing you for this moment. Every weapon type offers tremendous potential, and there are no shortage of armor skill combinations to match every playstyle. From one hunter to another, I’d recommend sporting a weapon with a Health Regen augmentation, so you can shrug off smaller attacks, and try to match Behemoth’s elemental and status effect weaknesses to Water element and Paralysis. Just make sure you’re dealing enough damage to taken him down within the 35-minute time limit.

The one final note that applies to every hunter taking on this grand quest is Behemoth’s ultimate move: the Ecliptic Meteor. A direct hit from this game-changing ability will result in an instant faint! It also denies all possible escape routes and items (including the Farcaster); the only way to survive is to hide behind smaller fallen comets the Behemoth has summoned throughout the battle. So always be mindful of your surroundings and keep an eye out for this devastating attack.

Monster Hunter: World – Final Fantasy XIV Collaboration Event

The quest to hunt the Behemoth is available starting today, August 1, at 5PM Pacific in Monster Hunter: World so make sure you install the latest free title update and call up your Squad mates for this epic hunt!

Add Your Own

minimox16 said:

August 1st, 9:51 am

How can’t wait to try this! what its the minimum HR for the quest?

Thanks :D

Tomoprime said:

August 1st, 10:51 am

I really liked this game. However I didn’t get to finish the main story so I felt left out when events popped up far exceeding my current Hunter Rank. I wanted to enjoy the main game but didn’t want to rush to the end game as I’m new to the MH universe. I understand that it’s all about the end game. I was really impressed with the sheer amount of content however it gets overwhelming when trying to decide which gear / weapons to invest in when you feel so underpowered at the beginning. The monster damage (no life meter) make it tough or subjective to feel the impact of a blow or shot fired against a monster that generally walks off to encourage the grind. I may jump back in but with all these updates I hope Capcom improves the game further for us noobs. Single player tries at the game suffer the most for us. Oh and to incur a an all or nothing time limit is down right cruel. Idk if a casual mode would be welcome with an option to ramp up. Just some thoughts coming from a new player.

Kemikalz said:

August 1st, 11:01 am

Tomoprime, I really think you just need to spend more time with the game. If you thought MHW was hard, play the older titles. This game already makes it very accessible for newcomers to get into. If it were any easier, it would become mindless and boring for the old time players.

KevlarDolphin said:

August 1st, 12:41 pm

MHW is the easiest incarnation of the series yet. It takes time and practice but, if you stick with it, you’ll find your way, even solo.

xlNekoPowerlx said:

August 1st, 2:48 pm

Theres a way to tell how hurt the monster is. A few ways actually. If you spend more time with the game youll be able to notice that in your minimap the monster’s icon changes depending on its status, and youll be able to look at a monster directly and tell just by how its acting if its hurt and about to die. There should NEVER be health bars in a MH game. It would break the immersion, and dumb it down way to far.

SPTK_Sun said:

August 1st, 5:37 pm

I feel like your criticisms aren’t really valid at all. World is pretty hand-holdy for a Monster Hunter game as it is. I don’t think it’s really fair to say you think it’s too hard, and that it needs to be easier when you aren’t having the right attitude. The core of MH is learning about the Monsters themselves. Not only their attacks, but their tells. Is it limping, drooling, or moving weakly? I know it may initially seem like you aren’t doing much, but it’s a game about never giving up. And if you ever feel your weapon is under-powered, grind for some materials to get stronger weapons and new skills.

Also 50 minutes is extremely generous to boot. If you know how to hunt efficiently (read: hit their weak spots), you can get hunts done with 10-20 minutes to spare.

lehos said:

August 12th, 7:40 am

There already is a casual mode it’s called online co-op. And yes I’m being serious not poking fun or anything. If you can’t beat a monster by yourself (which has less health) then you will have to learn the fight in co-op and essentially be carried. And that’s ok lots of us where there at one point. Don’t give up!

Tomoprime said:

August 1st, 10:07 pm

I never said the game was too hard. I took a break because progression felt like a drag.

Sense_Rebel said:

August 1st, 10:36 pm

Someone add me so we can kill this thing Sense_Rebel

slummilli9 said:

August 2nd, 2:50 am

add me. Haven’t been able to kill this thing even once bc teammates keep dying. We did slay it once, but only after someone fainted and we got mission failed.

Otterpoet said:

August 2nd, 8:46 am

Been thinking of picking this game up finally, but free it will consume my life XD