Knack 2

Aug 09

Aug 09

Introducing the 500 Million Limited Edition PS4 Pro, Commemorating 500 Million Systems Sold

This one's for you. Thank you for helping us reach this incredible milestone.

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by Senior Vice President, PlayStation Worldwide Marketing, SIE

Today, I’m thrilled to reveal that Sony Interactive Entertainment has officially sold more than 525.3 Million PlayStation systems worldwide! With 500 Million PlayStation systems sold, that means countless adventures into the unknown, courageous stands against evil, and life-long memories of playing with family and friends. Thank you to all our fans for your passionate support over the past 24 years, which made all of this possible.

500 Million Limited Edition PS4 Pro

500 Million Limited Edition PS4 Pro500 Million Limited Edition PS4 Pro

As translucent colors are always a fan-favorite, this is a great opportunity to bring this color to the PlayStation 4 Pro system as a ‘thank you’ to our fans. To celebrate this exceptional milestone, we are announcing today a global release of the 500 Million Limited Edition PS4 Pro, featuring a translucent dark blue console shell and matching DualShock 4 wireless controller, PlayStation Camera, Vertical Stand and mono headset. This PS4 Pro also comes with a massive 2TB hard drive for you to store tons of games, apps, videos, screenshots and more. It will be available for $499.99 USD (MSRP) / $639.99 CAD (MSRP), and will be limited to 50,000 units worldwide.

In addition, each system will have a commemorative copper plate on its front, with its limited edition serial number etched on. And, for the very lucky few who can get them, we have a few ‘extra special’ hardware units with serial numbers that commemorate important events in the history of PlayStation. Keep your eyes peeled for these ‘extra special’ serial numbers like 09995 (U.S. Launch Date of the original PlayStation – September 9th, 1995), 01115 (U.S. launch date of PS4 – November 15, 2013) and 01013 (U.S. launch date of PS VR – October 13, 2016).

500 Million Limited Edition PS4 Pro500 Million Limited Edition PS4 Pro

The 500 Million Limited Edition DualShock 4 will also be available as a standalone for $64.99 USD (MSRP) / $74.99 CAD (MSRP). What’s more, a 500 Million Limited Edition Gold Wireless Headset featuring the same dark blue translucent design with copper detailing, will be available separately at $99.99 USD (MSRP) / $119.99 CAD (MSRP).

The limited edition PS4 Pro will be available on retailer websites starting August 24 – check out the PS.com page for the list of participating retailer websites in the U.S. and Canada. The limited edition DS4 and Gold Wireless Headset will be available in select retailers across the U.S. and Canada in early September. Please note, these special hardware units will be available in very, very, limited quantities.

500 Million Limited Edition PS4 Pro

500 Million Limited Edition PS4 Pro500 Million Limited Edition PS4 Pro

Since its launch back in 2016, our portfolio of PS4 Pro supported content has continued to grow, truly showcasing the power of 4K TV gaming, HDR, and more. This year has been packed with even more incredible PS4 Pro enhanced games, like Detroit: Become Human, God of War and Monster Hunter: World. And we couldn’t be more excited for upcoming enhanced games like Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2.

In the world of PlayStation, the possibilities of play are endless and we’d like to once again thank you for the tremendous love and support that has made PlayStation the best place to play since 1994. Here’s to 500 million more epic moments and experiences ahead!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

HNRD said:

August 9th, 5:12 am

This looks so good.

PGhood said:

August 9th, 5:16 am

That is one sweet looking console

saab01 said:

August 9th, 5:16 am

Bad idea to price at 500 defiantly would of picked this up for 400 bucks. My original ps4 is coming up on 5 years and the fan sounds really bad at times. Also most likely was gonna finally pick up a 4k this black Friday would of been perfect timing guess will have to wait it out until another 2tb rolls around with better pricing.

Alecas119 said:

August 9th, 5:21 am

It’s going to be a colletor’s item with only 50,000 made. It will sell out in minutes, (like the Anniversary Console a couple of years ago) and plenty of people are going to pay $500 for the scarcity reason alone.

SuterusuUsukami said:

August 9th, 5:48 am

The normal 1TB PS4 Pro is $400. This one has double the storage, includes the camera, and is a limited run of a special color with individual numbering. It’s well worth $500. If you don’t want to pay that? Plenty of people will.

devilchowder2101 said:

August 12th, 2:39 pm

It’s a 2 terabyte limited edition ps4 pro, only 50k of them in the WORLD. Why would it not be 500

Wannapee said:

August 15th, 6:29 pm

Hey…just a quick heads up for those going for the “limited” aspect of this awesome looking system…unless you still have the box in pristine condition, still runs like snot in about 50, years, all components are intact you just might have a winner. I have many limited editions where even less then 50k were manufactured. I also build massive gaming pc’s. Just don’t want you to think I have no idea! So…good luck to all that really desire it. I will pass, When it comes to getting another TB…much cheaper way to go. Sadly no other real upgrades :(

ja1p9a9n1 said:

August 15th, 8:06 pm

I think the fan noises is just Sony and its bad design. I had a ps4 with around 7000hours and it used sound bad. Nowardays, I have a Battlefront 2 ps4 pro edition and I gotta say that it sounds like a jet taking off sometimes. That single fan is just bad design.

VOIDsabre said:

August 16th, 2:11 pm

The pro’s fan is super loud too

Barracuda-knife said:

August 9th, 5:19 am

Lol, remember you have fans from ALL over the world. This is discrimination towards all your other fans outside of the US and Canada, I bet you have more fans in total from other countries. Same happened with the Spiderman Limited Edition PS4, where is our reward for years of loyalty?

BearAntlers said:

August 9th, 6:36 am

“discrimination” lol.

cowmamba said:

August 9th, 8:13 am

I guess you missed the “50,000 units worldwide” part of the article.. They are going to be selling them worldwide, it’s not specific to just North America.

Krillinfan said:

August 9th, 6:15 pm

Golly, it’s almost as if you were in such a hurry to be mad you didn’t bother reading the article at all.

Tetsuo_807 said:

August 9th, 5:19 am

Can it play UHD 4k blu ray discs?

BigBlueMonkey said:

August 9th, 6:00 am

My God yes. I would have this preordered this second. They keep making the same stupid mistakes. I had to buy and Xbox one s just for this purpose for my main room. Sony doesn’t care because they are the market leader. Being number one doesn’t mean innovation, it only means you don’t have to innovate.

GaMeR_bOi_83 said:

August 9th, 6:25 am

@BugBlueMonkey……..you got a XBOS for the 4K drive? You do know the 4K drive on that thing is very low tier? Not worth it to be honest. Should of just bought a dedicated 4K UHD player for less. I see them on sale at Best Buy for under $100.

eagles4585 said:

August 9th, 6:53 am

@gamerboi83 you’re really recommending “upscaled” 4K Blu-ray drives, the sub $100 ones? lol that just completely discredited your entire comment.

Don’t deny that the Xbox One S is a solid NATIVE 4K Blu-ray player. I get this is a PlayStation site but it’s time to get real.

MAULxx said:

August 9th, 8:14 am

We all know the XB1 has a fisher price UHD player. Let’s be real yes.

GaMeR_bOi_83 said:

August 9th, 8:20 am

Yes there are UHD players that don’t cost as much as a XBOS that do a better job then that cheap 4K drive the XBOS has. Google it and see for your self. my Sony Bravia has a better 4K imagine the XBOS when it’s streaming. I’m not hating on XBOX. Hell im getting one soon hopefully. But I do my research. And after doing some digging the 4K drive is very low tier. To you it does the job but for me I can see the difference.

AzNoLiMiT said:

August 14th, 10:38 am

@GaMeR_bOi_83:

So let me get this straight, you claimed you can see the difference between the OneS 4KBR player and a higher end 4KBR player, but you also told @BigBlueMonkey to buy an UPSCALED standard blu-ray player, as that would be a better investment.

THEN you claimed that your BraviaTV can stream better 4K movies than the OneS 4KBR Player. Sony doesn’t stream 4K movies themselves, so you must be streaming from Netflix/GooglePlay/Amazon etc. All of those stream 4K at around 15-20Mbps, while 4KBR on OneS has a bitrate of around 125Mbps, but according to you, 5x bitrate is WORSE?

Sorry, but everything you said is simply not true. As someone who also bought a OneS on sale purely for the 4KBR player, it is frustrating that the PS4 Pro didn’t include one. However, when comparing the One S 4KBR player vs a high end Oppo 4KBR player, the gap between those is MUCH smaller than the gap between upscaled/streaming 4K, vs the OneS 4KBR. I dare you to watch say Nolan’s Dunkirk or Dark Knight, with the 16:9 IMAX Scenes in UHD BR off the One S and compare it to a 4K stream. If afterwards your eyes are still telling you that the streaming version is superior, I highly recommend going to see your local optometrist immediately=)

XofRaR said:

August 15th, 7:56 pm

It’s nearly, impossible to make reliable comparisons in video quality between any piece of hardware and any streaming source. There are way too many factors involved. Connection speed, cable quality, cable routing, cable length, wireless or wired connections to the display, signal processing hardware that the display uses on each individual input port, video output settings of the device/service versus the video processing settings of the display, device system load, private local and regional network load, environmental interferences due to climate weather and other environmental factors including interference from other devices operating in the vicinity, even the quality of the power source versus the power consumption of the hardware/network. It’s not hard to believe that someone would see much better performance out of a streaming service than even the pinnacle of bluray hardware depending on how each signal was sent to the display and how the display processed that signal.

ja1p9a9n1 said:

August 9th, 5:31 am

Do you guys do trade in? cuz I have a Battlefront 2 edition

ladyara said:

August 9th, 5:37 am

Tears of joy!! I wish I could have one.
Thank you PlayStation for the fantastic creativity and amazing games!

hgbodell said:

August 9th, 5:43 am

As a massive PS4 and translucent hardware fan I was elated to see this release. It is truly such a stunning console. As an Aussie though, I’m devastated. I hope there will be some way for Australian fans to get their hands on one. I’m not yet ready to accept defeat. Especially when something this gorgeous comes along.
Congrats on the anniversary PlayStation. Much love.

griffin761 said:

August 9th, 5:51 pm

They said 50,000 units ‘worldwide’ so I’d assume you would be able to buy one, unless they have specifically said its only NA.

twitch3488 said:

August 9th, 5:48 am

I’ll just get the controller. I love the blue color.

nnn222 said:

August 9th, 5:49 am

Quite the beauty !

KarabasBarbarian said:

August 9th, 5:55 am

Are Sony going to deliver any of PS4s to Russia? Is it going to be possible to buy one in Russian Federation?

Jimbo_Cello said:

August 9th, 6:11 am

The article says 50,000 units WORLDWIDE. Not USA alone, good luck to everyone trying to get one

OnTheBus666 said:

August 9th, 6:28 am

That is a sexy machine. I picked up the God of War SE Pro but damn Sony keeps unveiling better and better editions. The Spider-Man console looks awesome but I think this one takes the cake.

GaMeR_bOi_83 said:

August 9th, 6:29 am

I’m not even going to bother lol it will be sold out in a matter of seconds. I’ll grab that sexy ass controller though.

Stridix said:

August 9th, 6:55 am

They realize 50,000 units isn’t enough right?

Gotta make it 99,999

bernardblack73 said:

August 9th, 7:00 am

OMG, that is amazing! Where can I get one??????

Darth_Spartan said:

August 9th, 7:15 am

This was almost the Kinda Funny colors, so close to perfection but so far away also. :D

xxnike629xx said:

August 9th, 7:28 am

…countdown to eBay scalpers reselling this…

Anyway, I have to say that being a PlayStation gamer since the original gray one, I’m thankful and impressed each generation. PlayStation always delivers the best games and definitely leaves us feeling very nostalgic at the end of each generation.

Hm. But about this limited version with the 2 TB…
I presume it’s an HDD and not an SSD?
If that’s the case there aren’t many 2 TB options besides the Seagate (i.e. Seagate-Samsung) 2 TB HDDs or the relatively new Toshiba L200 2 TB drives that meet the maximum height of 9.5mm.

The Seagate & Seagate-Samsung 2 TB drives are notorious for having a relatively high rate of failure which is why many people steer clear of Seagate/Seagate-Samsung for internal storage.

So my guess is that (hopefully) Sony is going with the Toshiba 2 TB L200 drives since both Sony and Toshiba are included in the Blu-ray Disc Association so it wouldn’t be too surprising if they made some sort of a bulk order deal with Toshiba.

xxnike629xx said:

August 9th, 7:28 am

Also, if this holds true, my guess is that we’ll be seeing a price cut of both the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro soon and both will come with the 2 TB HDD (Toshiba L200 2TB)?

Anyway, I just got a PS4 Pro along with a Samsung 4K 40″ TV and a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB so I’m all set in terms of hardware and I don’t think I’ll need to buy any more storage than a 2 TB SSD … at least for the life span of my PS4 gaming needs.

I’m just excited for the PS5…. Wait a minute. I see what you did there *PlayStation*. LOL
    500 million …. PS5 … 5?
    Is this a hint at the PS5?

djsaiyan said:

August 9th, 1:59 pm

I have the Samsung 2 TB drive in all of my consoles, have put them in a couple of friends’ consoles, laptops, and even have a few of the Seagate Backup Plus Slim drives they shipped in.

Not a one has ever failed.

Krillinfan said:

August 9th, 6:19 pm

Uh, I’d like to state for the record that Seagate has a pretty darn good track record for me and my friends.

Olliepop620 said:

August 9th, 7:42 am

Call me old fashioned, but one usually celebrates such an occasion with a thank you gift. Asking us to buy yet another console at $500 is noway a thank you. Seriously… “Hey thanks for helping us sell 500 million consoles! As a thank you, we’d like to sell you yet another one….. how about a free cioy of onimusha Warlords remastered in all of its HD Glory!! Now that’s a thank you!!

RechainedAqua said:

August 9th, 7:47 am

The link that supposedly has retailers totally doesn’t for me. Any ideas? Amazon I’m sure, right?

StrifeX said:

August 9th, 8:00 am

I’m not seeing the list of retailers in the link.

projectgamma said:

August 9th, 8:07 am

I do think it looks amazing. However I do think this would have been a great way to introduce the PlayStation 5 with a limited edition highlighting the greatest achievements in PlayStation history. I just do not see the point of spending 499.99 + tax now and do the same thing again is just overkill.

xiamhe said:

August 9th, 8:24 am

This is nonsense it’s the same crap with different case how about fixing the systems you have out there and there issues instead of just moving on this company has over looked it’s fans. Just cause they keep making money. If I could I would switch consoles cause the memory issues with this system and the restrictions on it paying as much as we do we should have more freedom and less problems.

jessd76 said:

August 9th, 8:35 am

If i could find a regular ps4 pro anywhere I might buy one. But it’s not available in any store around me (New Jersey) or online. I don’t want a ‘refurbished’ one, I don’t want a game built in (unless it’s the same $399 price) so when this shortage ends, let me know..

SEARG_ said:

August 9th, 9:24 am

Though i really want this. Im just on the side of… its been. Like 5 years or so right? Could be 6. Were going to get the announcement of ps5. Is this really worth, rather then next gen.

Dont get me wrong i had my wallet ready to buy this but, ps5 am i right ???

blackiemist88 said:

August 9th, 9:30 am

Looks awesome but how about giving the players who already bought a PS4 or PS4 pro? Free game(s) would be nice

MONSTER-3jz said:

August 9th, 10:04 am

Where can we get it? It doesn’t say

SCoopat said:

August 9th, 10:07 am

does it have a 4k UHD bluray drive in it??????

SCoopat said:

August 9th, 10:07 am

when are you going to fix the HDR problem on the Netflix app ?

GameOverGreggy said:

August 9th, 10:07 am

THIS THING IS SO HOT!

SCoopat said:

August 9th, 10:08 am

When will you announce Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision support ?

SCoopat said:

August 9th, 10:08 am

When will the VUDU app support HDR ?

Deebravea said:

August 9th, 10:10 am

I’m not seeing the list of retailers that would be selling the console.

lflores15055 said:

August 9th, 10:12 am

I remember my dad giving me his PlayStation 1 that he had. After our house was birken into, my dad got me the PlayStation 2. It was amazing. Then, when I got older, my dad brought home a PS3 and he bought himself a PS P and shortly after a PS Vita. Finally, two Christmas s ago we got the PS4. Now it’s my turn to give back so I’m hoping I can get this one for him to say thank you for the PlayStation childhood he gave me.

EightWingEila said:

August 15th, 8:54 pm

Best of luck to you bud, hopefully my brother can get one too. As for myself, I’m perfectly happy with a good’ole Jet Black one. Eyeballin’ that controller tho.

dapura said:

August 9th, 10:13 am

Isn’t this going to be released in Europe?

Monster_1225 said:

August 9th, 11:15 am

I want to buy one because I love PlayStation but it i won’t be able get one because it will be sold out before I even checkout. The only other way of buying one is for eBay for $1000.

theundead67 said:

August 9th, 1:33 pm

How about a link to buy the damn thing since preorders arent available anywhere.

Coder_K said:

August 9th, 1:41 pm

I agree this is the best looking model. I just wish there were more than 50,000.

darklink415 said:

August 9th, 2:56 pm

The ps.com link doesn’t show the retailers, or am I just missing something? I need this to go with my 20th anniversary console.

xzero_coolx said:

August 9th, 3:26 pm

Any news about the retailers? I want to be ready to pre-order mine.
(owner of PS, PS2, PS3 80GB, PS3 Slim 500 2nd edition, PS4 1st batch).

Wumbo_vF said:

August 9th, 4:46 pm

Will this system allow for optical cords to be used? The one with the red laser shooting out that nost gaming headsets use.

Phreak1 said:

August 9th, 4:50 pm

The blog says to check PS.com for retailers, but there aren’t any listed!

Rivithed said:

August 9th, 5:13 pm

I just need to know one thing: where they are.

NickFragz said:

August 9th, 6:22 pm

“Here’s to 500 million more”. Wait, I thought physical consoles were dead after this upcoming generation? ;)

BX_BORN said:

August 9th, 8:04 pm

Sold!

BENTHESIKYME12 said:

August 9th, 8:11 pm

Anyone has the retailers link?

Rivithed said:

August 10th, 6:54 am

Bogus. Somehow that detail was “overlooked”. Blame marketing.

mingo809 said:

August 9th, 8:17 pm

that is fire!!!!

Mista_513 said:

August 10th, 7:04 am

I missed out on the GoW system and not feeling the Red Spider-Man system, but this… Oooh weee looks good and 2TB, nice. I wish it came with the headset instead of the camera, or even 2 controllers since the camera is pretty much useless. Or no camera and the price was $50 less. I’ll be buying it for sure, I can’t find the list of retailers though. I’d assume GameStop, Best Buy, Amazon as usual but don’t see it on any of those and when I called GameStop and Best Buy they say it’s not in the system.

ValdezQ26 said:

August 10th, 8:58 am

I called gamestop this morning as soon as I saw this and it looks like as of right now they won’t be getting them. I literally just upgraded to a pro and got my son a limited edition blue and gold ps4 slim. this new pro looks absolutely amazing! I want it, but again, we should all be preparing from the ps4 in 2020. 8f I can get my hands on one, I’ll grab it and 9ff my regular pro.

ValdezQ26 said: