PlayStation VR

Aug 28

Aug 28

PS2 Classic Onimusha: Warlords Comes to PS4 January 15, 2019

Capcom's classic samurai adventure returns early next year with the same intense sword fights and fixed camera view you remember, plus some new enhancements.

Andy Wong's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, Capcom

It has been over 17 years since Onimusha: Warlords first appeared on PS2, kicking off a beloved series that spawned sequels and spin-offs full of intense sword fights, duty-bound warriors, and demons determined to envelop the world in darkness. After selling more than two million copies worldwide on PS2, we’re proud to announce Onimusha: Warlords is coming to PS4 with a host of features that will enhance your samurai adventure!

Set in feudal Japan after the perceived death of the evil lord Nobunaga Oda, Onimusha: Warlords recounts the story of the samurai Samanosuke Akechi and ninja Kaede on a mission to save Princess Yuki, following her plea for help after mysterious demons invade her castle. As the two race to her aid, they unravel a demonic plot unlike anything they have witnessed before.

Onimusha Warlords for PS4
Fun fact! Onimusha: Warlords was originally conceived as a spin-off from the Resident Evil series that featured ninjas instead of the familiar faces we know today. It would have featured a mansion filled with booby traps, hidden pathways, and other ninja-inspired elements.

Ultimately, the decision was made for Onimusha: Warlords to be a separate game, but it kept a feature in common with the earlier Resident Evil games: the fixed camera that is still present in this PS4 release.

Onimusha Warlords for PS4Onimusha Warlords for PS4

Onimusha Warlords for PS4

Featuring unrivaled sword-fighting gameplay, Onimusha: Warlords rewards patience in battle. Samanosuke wields his trusty katana to deal with the evil within the castle, but also gains the mystical Oni Gauntlet that allows him to harvest the souls of demons to regain health or strengthen his weapons. Going along the alternate route to the castle, Kaede utilizes a quick-but-potent arsenal to take on the demons that lie in the path between her and the princess.

Updated Features For PS4

Fans of the original game will appreciate the updated features in the PS4 version. Characters, environments, and cinematics have been given a high-definition upgrade, and both the original game’s display and more modern widescreen display are supported. Changing between the two display modes can be done at any time in-game, but certain menus are fixed. A screen scroll feature has been added for widescreen display that allows players to see more of the fixed screens than ever before as the camera now scrolls up and down based on your movement.

Onimusha Warlords for PS4

This release of Onimusha: Warlords also allows players to move using the analog stick, which should improve movement accuracy and accessibility, especially in a game that is centered around combat. This was the same treatment that Resident Evil and Resident Evil 0 had for their release on PS4. For those who still prefer using the directional inputs like in the original game, that option is also open!

In the original game, Easy Mode was unlocked only after failing a specific battle a set amount of times. In this version, Easy Mode is unlocked from the start of the game for players who may find the adventure too difficult or want to enjoy the story. In Easy Mode, enemies are easier to kill and appear less often. However, you cannot change difficulty once you begin, so select wisely!

Onimusha Warlords for PS4

We’re excited to bring Onimusha: Warlords to PS4 after the series’ popularity on PS2, so sharpen those swords and be prepared to set foot in a land of samurai and demons. There’s also a new soundtrack inspired by feudal Japan that enhances the immersion even further.

Onimusha: Warlords will be released on January 15, 2019 for MSRP $19.99. In North America, you can pre-order the physical version right now while the digital version will be available at a later date. In Europe, only a digital version is available. Who’s ready to step into the shoes of a samurai?

Add Your Own

Silveth said:

August 28th, 7:25 am

1000% going to buy this in hopes they release them all. One of my favorite series of all time, and will shoot for the platinum!

Andy Wong's Avatar

Andy Wong said:

August 28th, 10:27 am

Thank you!

SSPikachu said:

August 29th, 5:39 am

I am ALL the way excited for this! The only thing i’m not looking forward to is getting the bishamon sword again, that minigame was extra frustrating.

Eyesata said:

September 20th, 7:29 am

The game is not even out yet and I have the Platinum already! Hahaha

dkarlowicz10 said:

August 28th, 7:38 am

Yes. This is awesome news. Now all we need is for Capcom to re-release viewtiful Joe.

steeler192 said:

August 28th, 8:07 am

Agree 1.000.000% with this. We need Viewtiful Joe ASAP!

humberto_ugalde said:

August 28th, 5:26 pm

Or God Hand… and Haunting Ground.

BurritoAssassin9 said:

August 28th, 7:52 am

Awesome. You need to start cranking out more PS2 Classics though, Sony! Notably Klonoa 2, Ape Escape 3, and Maximo

iM-A-tRuMsTaH said:

August 28th, 9:00 am

This is great news. One of my favorite games.

Sony, please make PSN Blog show up on PS4 Dashboard. It will get these posts more exposure.

FurryRomo said:

August 28th, 7:29 pm

Yeah like under the “What’s new tab” sounds pretty good

fourfour44 said:

August 28th, 9:34 am

New features are great, but no mention of retention of the “old” features the original release had, such as being one of the few games at the time that contained the correct audio (something this trailer clearly doesn’t do).

earth_inheritor said:

August 28th, 9:56 am

100% going to buy this but a little disappointed that it isn’t a trilogy set or something. I would happily pay for the set and i missed 4. I gather there was another but only on Japan.
Either way, its an easy buy for me i was in love with those games.

Heavyin said:

August 28th, 10:03 am

this game deserve a remake like yakuza kiwami, don’t be lazy capcom!!

humberto_ugalde said:

August 28th, 12:17 pm

Ah, it’s a good time to be a gamer. I’m having a hard time not smiling at this bit of news.

I just really, really, hope they won’t remove the Japanese dub option. I happen to like Takeshi Kaneshiro movies. And physical, too. I actually own the PS2 and the Japanese PS2 versions of this game, I saw it for a $2 and even if I can’t play it for $2 it was worth it just for the novelty of it.

This is rather funny because a few hours ago I was on a thread where the guy was asking if there would ever be a remaster or HD release and I told him, no, it was tragically imposible. I was wrong. Oh, I was so wonderfully wrong. Never been so happy to be.

I wish they’d include a booklet but I guess for $20 I should just be happy it exists.

BlaqMagiq24 said:

August 28th, 12:23 pm

First off, will this be based off the superior Genma Onimusha version?

Second, REMASTER VIEWTIFUL JOE 1+2!!!

DX2800 said:

August 28th, 2:33 pm

Awesome I regretted not getting this back then. By the time I found out it was a good game it was too late. I am looking foward to getting it this time and I also hope the rest of the games get released.

Andy Wong's Avatar

Andy Wong said:

August 28th, 3:38 pm

We’re glad you’ll get the chance to play it now!

FurryRomo said:

August 28th, 7:20 pm

My brother played this back in the day, me and him can’t wait to play it again!

SSPikachu said:

August 29th, 5:46 am

Is the panda costume staying? Nothing eased my troubles as a kid like killing hordes of demons while dressed up a giant panda. Especially after you get the bishamon sword.

Welmosca said:

August 29th, 12:49 pm

Saw the trailer yesterday what a glorious day,heard rumors about this and damn I’m glad they’re true…Onimusha was left out of the HD collections on PS3 and it was a shame but it’s finally coming back,definitely getting this.Please Capcom y’all need to bring the other ones too specially Demon Siege.I’m surprised it’ll be releasing in retail too…that’s really nice.Capcom reborn,glad I’m alive to see Capcom back on business.

PS:I didn’t know about that RE spin-off thing…interesting,really nice to know that.

samasake said:

August 29th, 5:51 pm

Yes yes yes!!! Absolutely purchasing this. One of my favorite PS2 games ever!

ReaperDaddyWolf said:

August 29th, 8:06 pm

I too hope the Japanese audio is included…even though Onimusha 2 had WAY better VO in English compared to the first, I still prefer the Japanese VO, especially due to the setting.

Also, for someone who has played the original, and Genma, I am a little disappointed that this version doesn’t include Genma as an optional “hard mode”. I enjoyed all the extras that were available in that version, and it really paved the way for what would come in Onimusha 2.

Still though, after 17 years (makes me feel OLD at 32) I’m very excited to see this come to PS4. Will be making sure I make that day one purchase to support the rest of the series (including Genma) to make their way to this generation as well.

efrainf said:

August 30th, 7:02 am

I am so happy for this. I will have my fingers crossed that the other games in the franchise get ported too. Hopefully in the future we will get a full remake like Resident Evil 2 did.

eroberts84 said:

August 31st, 3:16 am

When will pre-order be available? Engaget says it’s set for release on January 15th, 2019 but engaget says physical disc pre-order available now. I’ve searched sony, best buy, amazon, and google but can’t find anything.

oETGoKujo said:

August 31st, 6:43 am

I was literally talking about this the same day I went and bought the Megaman X Legacy Collection. The Oninusha Series is easily one of the best to this day. It would be awesome if they do all of them or make a new sequel.

SAFN said:

September 11th, 6:34 am

O!M!G!

Yes! I have been waiting for a remastered/re-release since Ps3! This was one of my favorite franchises in gaming. Great story, great graphics (for its time), fighting was amazing, upgrades were great, etc/ Definitely buying this and all the other ones if they are released. My favorite would be Onimusha 3 Dawn of Demos.

Comments

Open to everyone, but don’t be a jerk.

Comments are key to PlayStation.Blog, so help us keep the conversation going. Please: be kind, be considerate, and be constructive. For other topics, head to our Forums. Or to submit an idea, visit Blog Share. Report inappropriate comments to us_playstation_blog_moderation@sony.com.