God of War

Aug 29

Aug 29

PlayStation Plus: Free Games for September 2018

Destiny 2 and God of War 3 Remastered lead the PS Plus lineup for September.

James Hallahan's Avatar Posted by PlayStation Plus

We have a huge September lineup, so let’s jump right into your free games for September!

First up we have Destiny 2! As a special treat, the game is available on PS Plus today – a week early – so that you can take advantage of the 24 hour free trial of Destiny 2: Forsaken’s new hybrid PVE & PVP mode, Gambit, which starts September 1 at 10 AM PDT*. That’s right, you can get Destiny 2 right now! Rally your friends in Gambit and prepare for Destiny 2: Forsaken**.

Also this month, we have God of War III Remastered. Play as Kratos as he rises from the darkest depths of Hades to scale the very heights of Mount Olympus to seek vengeance. Armed with double-chained blades and an array of other weapons and magic, Kratos must take on mythology’s deadliest creatures while solving intricate puzzles throughout his merciless quest to destroy Olympus. God of War III: Remastered will be available to download beginning September 4.

This month’s PlayStation Plus lineup also includes:

As a reminder, PlayLink and PlayStation VR bonus games are available for download as part of your PS Plus membership!

In Here They Lie for PlayStation VR, explore a nightmarish city inhabited by strange, malevolent creatures in this first-person horror game, where unsettling encounters and environments come to life. Here they Lie is available for PS Plus members through October 2.

In Knowledge is Power, a PlayLink title, this party game is sure to entertain as you outsmart your opponents with a massive variety of trivia questions and tactical challenges. Be sure to have a compatible mobile device and companion app and you’ll be all ready to play! Knowledge is Power is available through November 6.

And there you have it. Another huge month for PS Plus. See you next time!

*Copy of Destiny 2 required and copy of Destiny 2: Forsaken not required for 24 hour free trial.
**Destiny 2 game, Destiny 2 Expansions I & II, and Destiny 2: Forsaken required to play Destiny 2: Forsaken, sold separately.

Add Your Own

paulogy said:

August 29th, 8:35 am

WOW! Huge month for PS+ :-D

Investor9872 said:

August 29th, 8:36 am

Great month.

Gorvi said:

August 29th, 8:40 am

Wow, that’s a great month.

Teikman said:

August 29th, 8:44 am

These two are two huge titles. With God of War a unbelievable piece of art. And Destiny 2 a flawed premise that is under extended rework.

saab01 said:

August 29th, 8:48 am

Wasn’t a big fan of destiny 2 hoping god of war remaster is fun since I never played it.

KLEEBANKLIBAN said:

August 29th, 10:22 am

It is definitely fun but just stick with it through the first 30 minutes. It gets more fun as it goes. Also don’t play on hard first time, otherwise it will not be fun. No difficulty based trophies either so you don’t miss out on anything for playing on normal or even easy

Kranium_21 said:

August 29th, 9:07 am

I am thoroughly excited for GoW3 remastered. I might to buy the collection that was on sale earlier this year, but I missed out. As for D2 being free this month, I am taken aback. With the release of Forsaken this Sept., I can’t help but think Sony wants to bolster the sales of the expansion. Given it’s reputation and relative newness, I am just baffled.

(I have D2 Deluxe Edition already so my opinion has been nurtured in experience.)

Akmaljon said:

August 29th, 9:11 am

Is Bungie at least hoping to sell season pass now?

Azsartaj said:

August 29th, 9:14 am

The worst possible lineup. Destiny 2 is free just so you can sell us the Forsaken DLC, and we all know Destiny is nothing without it. It’s not even the 2018 God of War that everyone’s excited for, so what’s the point of giving us a game we’ve played years ago???

JoniStation said:

August 29th, 9:40 am

Wow, talk about ungrateful.

Brydont said:

August 29th, 10:09 am

Pssh worst possible lineup. These are huge games. Now the worst lineup would be something like Godzilla and Ghostbusters PS4. I second what Joni said

Azsartaj said:

August 29th, 10:38 am

Ungrateful? I have been a PSN customer for nearly a decade and pay $60 a year for this service. I expect the best if we spend this much money. Sony isn’t doing anyone a favor of giving us “free” games every month, since we’re literally paying for these games. I can go to Gamestop right now and get a brand new copy of Destiny 2 for $10 (which I already own + the expansion pass) instead of paying for PS Plus annually.

NEOMERCER said:

August 29th, 10:49 am

This dude is ungrateful af. Probably one of those people that demands a new game if the network goes down for like a day. So many people do that now after that horrible outage years ago. The operative word being years. Do you really think Sony is just going to give the brand new God of War away after its been out for like less then a year? This is a way for them to introduce people to the series who may not have known what it was. And of course Destiny is a way to bring players back and also drive sales up for the next DLC but who cares, it’s a triple A game that you’re getting instead of an indie. And you act like 60 dollars for a whole year is a lot. Smh.

KLEEBANKLIBAN said:

August 29th, 10:50 am

Destiny 2 has so much to do even before DLC. You should play it. It’s way better than we have any right to expect… and c’mon, of course Bungie is hoping to sell DLC haha. Did you think that was some secret agenda? It’s common business sense and it is very consumer friendly. This is like an awesome, epic free trial to see if buying DLC is worth it.

I can better understand where you are coming from with God of War 3, but surprisingly it actually hasn’t been played by the vast majority of PS4 gamers, probably over 95% of PS4 players haven’t played it. It only sold like 3 million. Good for an exclusive but nothing compared to install base. Also you should consider that because the God of War reboot is so different, it drew in millions of new gamers that weren’t attracted to the older gameplay style, or were too young for it. Now people who have learned about God of War and are interested in the back story can play the previous game and see the state of things before the new game. I actually am using PS Now to play the old games for the first time because I really liked the new game and want to know the story. Just beat 1, well into 2 now, and almost done with 3 but that one I bought on sale and started before PS Now

Kinokee said:

August 29th, 11:29 am

If you think you’re going to get one of PS4s best games – the new 2018 GoW – for a cheaper $60 year long subscription that comes with other games for currently 3 different consoles, I think you need to go either go back to grade school math class or stop trolling.

Trendy_Kid said:

August 29th, 11:40 am

I agree, Destiny 2 is crap. I own it and all the DLC before forsaken. It simply isn’t worth any money when you can play Warframe for free.

Welmosca said:

August 29th, 1:11 pm

@ KLEEBANKLIBAN – Wow wow you really said this tactic of theirs to sell the DLC is consumer friendly and that GoW 3 recycled is a good thing.Guess you like to be ripped off and stolen by these greedy companies either that or you’re rich lol…these two I quoted they basically scream in our face anti-consumer practice.

anders1285 said:

August 29th, 7:04 pm

You got jokes. There’s high replay value on any God of War game. Anyone that says otherwise has clearly never played them. No one is forcing you to pay $60 a year. I sure as heck don’t. Not that I wouldn’t, I just don’t do online very often… and $60 a year for 20+ free games is well worth it. Try buying all those seperate and let me know what it costs you. Granted they aren’t always great selections, but the few that are make it worth it… and saying you havent been happy with the selection, yet you’ve been paying $60 a year for the last decade makes me laugh.

DoutorPierre said:

August 31st, 9:44 am

Probaly the most ungrateful comment i see in years. People complain about not having triple A games, people complain about having a triple A game cause they already had it. People complain.

NinjaPigs said:

September 3rd, 11:02 pm

Let me tell you a little secret: The free games are just a bonus to the service. There was a time when PS+ didn’t offer any free games.

Would you rather have the free games they do give us or no free games at all?

Also you are paying $60 for about 72 games in a year. Roughly that is $5 per month, which equals to about $0.83 per game at this time. When the PS3 and PS Vita games get taken off it will roughly equal $2.50 per game every month. Right about now you should be thinking that $10 Destiny 2 game costs more than the free games you get every month.

mrnice0673 said:

September 14th, 7:46 am

@Azsartaj…You can get both Destiny 2 and God of War 3 Remastered from Amazon for about $20. That is 1/3 of the cost of PS+ for just 1 month out of the 12 months worth of games we get. Also, you are complaining about getting God of War 3 Remastered because it’s old? You have had PS+ for nearly a decade, so you should know what to expect by now. Anyone who has had PS+ for this long knows we aren’t getting brand new AAA games. Quit complaining, cancel the service if your not happy. PS+ has been great the past year.

cyberxsaint said:

September 19th, 10:57 am

So you pay $60 annually that’s about $5 a month and with that you get access till online gameplay exclusive discounts as a playstation plus member oh and to top of off they give you multiple free games each month with that membership. So please your not paying an arm and a leg get off your high horse.

Kishnabe said:

August 29th, 9:28 am

Great month, only got burned by Foul Play.

Looking forward to playing God of War 3 and Another World.

Destiny 2 Platinum requires DLC purchase, so that a miss for me.

X-3cut10n3rr said:

August 29th, 10:26 am

Your statement is false. The Platinum was unobtainable to a period of time before they sorta fixed them. From the trophy guide: ”
    The Prestige Nightfall is no longer an option for The Prestige trophy.

The Leviathan raid’s Prestige level is now 300 and is the easiest way, and only way without purchasing Curse of Osiris, to get The Prestige trophy.

For Lest Ye Be Judged and Heart of Darkness, those will sometimes be obtainable without Curse of Osiris and Warmind and sometimes will not be. If the Nightfall strike for the week or the Trials map are Curse of Osiris or Warmind content, then they will be locked if you have not purchased it. If that content is locked for the week, then your choices are either purchase Curse of Osiris and/or Warmind, or try again next week.”

firestormyuk said:

August 29th, 12:37 pm

I read that even if you get prestige, you wont be able to get the Trails one as you will be stuck at lower power than everyone who has the DLC? So will probably not be able to win. Is that true?

SpiderJ95 said:

August 29th, 1:47 pm

Everything’s attainable now except for the Trials of the Nine trophy since they removed it for this season. Will be back in a couple months for next season after they’ve updated PVP.

LTJguy said:

August 29th, 9:45 am

Solid lineup this month! I got the white ps4 pro destiny 2 bundle. Ended up saling the game But had the season pass installed.
Guess i can give a a second try.

screamboy247 said:

August 29th, 10:07 am

Man I was hoping for hit man ps4 to become free

Welmosca said:

August 29th, 1:05 pm

Lower your expectations so you won’t get disappointed…GoW teachings.

Akmaljon said:

August 30th, 6:14 pm

@Welmosca 1 like! :D

jbainbridge said:

August 29th, 10:47 am

Decent enough month just not too much I wanna play personally so dang.

Ryumoau said:

August 29th, 11:48 am

Finally a decent month of free games.

KazeEternal said:

August 29th, 11:56 am

I hope you guys fixed that rendering bug in God of War 3 that is 100% reproducible at the very start of the game on PS4. It was still there 3 months ago and I’m betting it is still there now. Please patch this.

freakingmayhem said:

August 29th, 11:59 am

I’m probably the only person on the planet who cares, but you guys forgot to tag this post with the “playstation-plus” tag for RSS subscribers.

pbjent said:

August 29th, 12:00 pm

Sure play Destiny 2 but do not let microtransactions ruin a good time. Also trophy hunters Destiny 2 is about 8/10 difficulty due to raid coordination and Emissary from Beyond trophy. Good game but nowhere near as good as it could have been had they applied what they learned from and implemented in original Destiny.

RenovKatt said:

August 29th, 12:02 pm

Are you even trying? just trash.

xSoap_Fan_141x said:

August 29th, 12:38 pm

Yeah another good month, thanks guys.

Welmosca said:

August 29th, 1:00 pm

Not bad Destiny 2 is a huge surprise not sure how activision allowed but since they allowed a CoD I guess that shouldn’t have been a surprise at all…I smell shady tactics behind this lol.But GoW 3 recycled really?…wake up Sony and quit giving recycled games,PS4 list is for PS4 games!!!!…I’m afraid I might have to agree with whiners if you keep this bs.

Anyway the PS3 and Vita games are good for once,all cross-buy too.Hey y’all don’t dismiss Sparkle 2…it’s a helluva fun game,give it a try before calling it indie crap.

Welmosca said:

August 29th, 1:03 pm

Not bad Destiny 2 is a huge surprise not sure how activision allowed but since they allowed a CoD I guess that shouldn’t have been a surprise at all…I smell shady tactics behind this lol.But GoW 3 recycled really?…wake up Sony and quit giving dumb recycled games,PS4 list is for PS4 games!!!!…I’m afraid I might have to agree with whiners if you keep this bs.

AAIG1995 said:

August 29th, 1:17 pm

Well it’s about time God of War 3 Remastered finally is coming to the PlayStation plus free Games lineup now I know it was worth the wait because the last free game I got free games lineup was Bloodborne back in March of this year and now I’ll wait to see if they add another badass title on the free games lineup like I may a while longer for Uncharted 4,Batman Return to Arkham,Dishonored 2,and definitely a little while longer for Until Dawn due to it already coming for the Free Games lineup a while back.

GripnRip said:

August 29th, 2:07 pm

I already own D2 on disc. Will “purchasing” the free version make it so i don’t need to have the disc in to play? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall b/c that would be a pain in the ass.

AizawaYuuichi said:

August 29th, 5:15 pm

I believe by “purchasing” the digital copy and hitting the “download” button (if it lets you), it will convert your disc install to a digital copy without needing to download the game. I’ve only done this once, so it might not work for D2, but it did the one time I tried it. Good luck.

TheMostBetterest said:

August 29th, 2:29 pm

D2 is farrrr to good to be going free. I would even spend the full price new now if I had to. It’s sooo good! Trust me guys.

#AlreadyPreorderedForsaken #JustLikeEveryOtherD2SuperFan

Akmaljon said:

August 30th, 6:16 pm

Its literally $5 game without DLC. so I dont think its too good. not saying line up is bad tho

Marquisee__ said:

August 29th, 2:42 pm

Anyone Played The D2 Free Version Yet ? If You Have Is It The Same One As While Ago we had one and it cut you off up to a certain point untill you buy the full game M

Senzeki said:

August 29th, 3:53 pm

“Here’s your free* copy of Destiny 2, just in time to buy our $40 DLC.”
Whew.

AizawaYuuichi said:

August 29th, 5:38 pm

Nah, see, it’s not just $40. To play Forsaken, you HAVE to own the first two expansions. So you get D2 for free with PS+, but then you’d need to buy the “Legendary Edition” of Forsaken for $60 to actually be able to play the new expansion. It’s kind of deviously ingenious.

Box9Missingo said:

August 29th, 5:47 pm

Good month! Been playing through Sparkle 2 lately and it’s really fun. Well worth getting.

Fonz0_o said:

August 29th, 5:57 pm

I think instead of god of war 3, it should be the collection with all three games and maybe the psp games as well. Better way to celebrate the new god of war with the release of new game plus.

Not_H20 said:

August 29th, 6:26 pm

You guys should get Bandai Games available for free. Also Jojo, since Part 5 is coming out soon, you shoulf allow it to be free and available on PS Store! :)

anders1285 said:

August 29th, 6:54 pm

Awesome! So if I’m getting this right, we potentially have 6 ps4 games this month? I don’t fully understand the cross-buy thing as i only have ps4.

ToddlerNaruto said:

August 29th, 10:12 pm

I already own God of War III Remastered, bought it for $10 New from Fry’s last year.

However I’ll definitely snatch up Destiny 2 while it’s free…I don’t care for the series but I’ve got a best friend that is obsessed with the franchise.

muffballs88 said:

August 30th, 11:43 am

If I buy a season pass for Destiny 2 will I get Forsaken and the other DLC’s or am I forced to buy the other Two DLC’s and then buy Forsaken…If so, the hell with Destiny 2 R.I.P. Cayde 6 but to hell with Bungie,Activision and their Money grab.Their game is fun but I don’t wanna be a fool for fun again..Gimmie good content and then I’ll spent money!!!

Akmaljon said:

August 30th, 6:18 pm

2 DLC and Forsaken DLC are bought separately

AC_CORVO said:

August 30th, 5:02 pm

nice (ᗒᗨᗕ)(ᗒᗨᗕ)(ᗒᗨᗕ)(ᗒᗨᗕ)

Ryuzakinaruki said:

September 3rd, 5:17 pm

Anyone know when PS3 Plus games drop?

NinjaPigs said:

September 3rd, 11:12 pm

What do you mean? Are you asking when they will appear in the store or when will PS3 Games no longer be offered for free?

If it is the former, all games (besides special deals) become available in store on the First Tuesday of every month. Usually this happens sometime between 9 AM and 12 PM CST.

If it is the later then February 2019 will be the last month PS3 and PS Vita titles will have free titles. The following month will be the first time PS+ won’t be offering PS3 or PS Vita games for free since they were introduced.

OpTic_Magnezim said:

September 4th, 6:34 am

hello i only got destiny 2 but god of war is not in my ps plus lineup?? help???

SkidAce said:

September 4th, 8:43 am

Let’s see,

I didn’t already have Destiny 2, so thanks PS+.

Never played past God of War II, so this might be interesting. Thanks.

I had Another World as a PC game when it came out 20 years ago, but never finished it, so thanks.

Good month for me…

axiomatiq said:

September 4th, 12:30 pm

For some reason I can’t get QUBE PS4 for free even though it’s cross buy…? I got all the others without any trouble. Was looking forward to that one.

Real_HaVoC618 said:

September 4th, 1:59 pm

Go ahead and get the PS3 version of Q.U.B.E. and then go to your download light and the PS4 version will be available to download there.

Real_HaVoC618 said:

September 4th, 2:05 pm

*download queue

REAPER_Scout_1 said:

September 4th, 2:42 pm

To bad after I downloaded, deleted, and redownloaded destiny 2 multiple times I cant get past the title screen, I get an error message everytime :-( owell I guess

jaynet333 said:

September 4th, 2:43 pm

GoW III is a fun game. Sure, it’s an older re-master of an even older PS3 title, but it’s still fun. The other smaller games are okay, and at least they are all cross buy, so it’s a little bit of a bonus. However, the Destiny 2 “free” game is just insulting. The first 2 DLC expansions should have been included in order for this “free” game to have any value. Since you are required to have the first 2 expansions in order to purchase the Forsaken expansion, you are better off buying the Forsaken Legendary Collection. Not only does it include the first 2 expansions, it also includes the initial release of Destiny 2. This “free” version of Destiny 2 is just an obligation to spend more $$$. There’s nothing “free” about it. What an insult to PS+ subscribers.

sazosteam said:

September 5th, 8:36 am

I wonder why QUBE is showing on the store list, but not for free?

Panzershrek78 said:

September 5th, 12:03 pm

I’m sad so sad it’s a sad sad situation. This months games ??? I’m going to watch my man knit for a month

Panzershrek78 said:

September 5th, 12:05 pm

Nan not man good lord

potterD said:

September 5th, 1:17 pm

Ummmm why is qube not free for me? I am an active plus member and it is listed under free games with all the others. But it is listed as 9.99, even under add to cart it’s still 9.99 not free???

SNAKE-EYES73 said:

September 6th, 9:19 am

lol these games suck because there nothing worth downloading plus they waste your memory! Seriously Sony you are getting worse & worse at what we get for free stuff these games are old and not even enhanced as you claim, I thought you would have had some common sense by now by finally adding DEX to the list for free content because it’s been sitting in your store for a long time like 2 years Sony? Really well that’s inexcusable to me.I feel like I should just stop with Plus because it’s not giving me what I want for service your instead ripping me off. with charging ridiculous monthly fees for stuff I don’t want! thank but no thank! because I will not download or add any of these stupid useless games to my list plus no Platinum’s for all your games whats the point of those games then being remade or remastered?>

DepravedCyko said:

September 7th, 1:37 am

Will I still be able to play destiny 2 after September?

DepravedCyko said:

September 7th, 1:40 am

Cause if not I wasted 20$ on the season pass..

Sparky_155 said:

September 7th, 3:42 am

Yeah you can, since it’s not a trial but a full game. Though it will be free UNTIL your PS Plus ends.

khaled_eg80 said:

September 16th, 11:19 am

Guys…i don’t see god of war in the free games of the month..i have a yearly active subsription i downloaded destiny 2 already and couple of kids games…but god of war is not even shown in the search !!! Any idea ?!!