PlayStation VR

Sep 12

Sep 12

Timespinner Launches on PS4, PS Vita September 25

You're up against an empire, but time is on your side.

Bodie Lee's Avatar Posted by CEO, Lunar Ray Games

Hi everyone! After five years of part-time development and four years of full-time work, Timespinner is finally coming out on PS4 and PS Vita on September 25, at the price of $19.99. Hurray!

Timespinner is a story-driven adventure inspired by classic 2D platformers from the 90s. The game’s story follows Lunais, a young woman who travels through time in order to seek revenge on the empire that killed her family.

If you’re a fan of the “Metroidvania” genre, Timespinner will make you feel right at home. In addition, the game also has several features that make it feel fresh and new.

Time-Stop

Time-Stop is the game’s signature ability and namesake. To put it simply, the time-stop freezes all enemies in the room, at the cost of Sand for each moment that time is frozen. While time is stopped, you can use enemies as platforms or simply choose a more advantageous position in battle.

About to be crushed by a boss’s attack? Stop time and side step! Feeling swarmed by enemies? Stop time, get behind them, charge a spell, and unleash it right when time is unfrozen!

Orb System

The heart of combat in Timespinner revolves around equipping orbs: crystal balls composed of condensed magic. Throughout your adventure, you will find many different orbs (be it from defeating bosses, delving deep inside dark dungeons, or simply given to you as a gift!). Each orb has three unique aspects: a melee attack, a spell attack, and an always-on passive.

An orb’s melee attack is often a short-ranged ability that is free to use. Since you can equip two melee orbs at once, you can mix and match different melee orbs (although I always prefer to use two of the same type — I like symmetry!).

By taking a new orb to an Alchemist, you unlock both its spell and passive. Spells are powerful attacks that cost Aura, a form of MP which slowly recovers on its own. You can level up orbs by defeating enemies with its spell or melee attacks. The higher an orbs level is, the more powerful its melee, spell, and passive will become.

An orb’s passive is a unique always-on buff. Passives can augment your melee attacks, offer protection, or even help you find hidden passages! Be sure to pick a passive that complements your playstyle!

Story

The story of Timespinner is much more complex than most platformers. As the game’s plot spans multiple planets, rebellions, a war, and more, there is a lot to take in. I’ve actually been developing the universe of Timespinner since I was in grade school, making fabric figures of each character and cataloguing their adventures and storylines in notebooks, so it’s amazing to see it all fully fleshed out in video game now! This large amount of lore can cause a timing problem for an action based game, so we decided to spread out the story into several different methods of delivery:

• Skippable cutscenes
  • Collectable “Memories” which detail important events of a specific character.
  • Collectable “Letters” which contain multiple viewpoints concerning a historical war.
  • Collectable “Downloads” which act as encyclopedic knowledge of people, planets, and more.
  • Optional character quests with unique rewards.

Time Travel

The game takes place on Lachiem, the desolate homeworld of the evil empire. As the story progresses, you’ll gain the ability to travel far into Lachiem’s luscious past. Once there, actions you take can change the world in the present. However, some of these changes may not pan out as exactly as you’d expect…

It’s been a long time coming, but I’m super excited to show Timespinner to the world! Yay!

Add Your Own

Gorvi said:

September 12th, 8:38 am

Thank you so much for putting this out on Vita. Any chance we may see a limited physical release for this either through LRG or some other outlet? This looks like one I’d want to have a permanent copy of.

Bodie Lee's Avatar

Bodie Lee said:

September 12th, 9:18 am

Hey Gorvi! From what I’ve heard from Polygon, Vita physical copies of games are no longer being produced. We may end up doing a physical copy for the PS4 in the future, though. We’ll see :D

langdon said:

September 12th, 8:41 am

Vita?! And Chucklefish? I’m in!

Frebarkis said:

September 12th, 9:05 am

Looks incredible. I’m definitely feeling a heavy Symphony of the Night influence which basically makes this a must-buy.

Thanks so much for supporting Vita! I’ll be buying it there :)

Bodie Lee's Avatar

Bodie Lee said:

September 12th, 9:20 am

Thanks! Yeah, I absolutely love the 2D Castlevania games. I hope you like Timespinner, too!

Don’t forget, buying on Vita will also net you a PS4 copy since it’s Cross-Buy! :D

bstie1198 said:

September 12th, 9:13 am

Wow, that’s some attractive sprite work. Looking forward to playing this on my Vita.

cowmamba said:

September 12th, 9:33 am

My Vita is ready!

Kishnabe said:

September 12th, 9:36 am

Giving me those DS Castlevania Vibes vibe.

Can Lunais rewind time (if you can’t time a good position with time Stop)?

Only the Orbs can be leveled up?

Thanks for bringing to the Vita.

Bodie Lee's Avatar

Bodie Lee said:

September 12th, 9:42 am

Unfortunately, no rewinding time. I could never figure out how Braid did it, haha!
    The player levels up with experience, orbs level up with kills, and so do familiars.
    Bringing the game to a handheld console has been a dream <3

MoitaFlores said:

September 12th, 10:32 am

I NEED THIS IN MY VITA!!!

willjwood said:

September 12th, 1:20 pm

This looks amazing, and congratulations on all your hard work paying off! I know how much time, devotion, passion, and work goes into something like this, and I just want to congratulate everyone on making it through and releasing what looks to be an exquisite retro-inspired game!

I will be playing either way, but I gotta ask; platinum trophy?

Bodie Lee's Avatar

Bodie Lee said:

September 12th, 1:21 pm

Hey Will, thanks! It was definitely quiet the journey.
    This game has full Trophies, have fun hunting!

ericojp said:

September 12th, 2:01 pm

Is it fullscreen or have black bars?

Marscaleb said:

September 12th, 4:16 pm

Effin’ SWEEEEEEET!
I’ve been following this game for so long, and it warms my heart to see a virtually-one-man passion project like this take off!
Good luck, Bodie! I hope it goes platinum!

Bodie Lee's Avatar

Bodie Lee said:

September 12th, 5:05 pm

GameOverComesAll said:

September 12th, 7:33 pm

It’s been a long time since the Kickstarter, and now it looks pretty awesome. I’ll definitely be playing it at some point.

AgentX said:

September 12th, 9:28 pm

I hadn’t previously heard of Timespinner, so I’m happy to read about it now. I’m also a fan of the Castlevania series, and I can see some similarities in this game. The artwork looks great!

Cross-buy is appreciated. Does the game support cross-save as well?

It’s evident this was a labor of love that was a long time in the making. I’m happy you were able to bring it to fruition. Good luck to you!

Bodie Lee's Avatar

Bodie Lee said:

September 13th, 7:16 am

Thanks AgentX! Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get Cross-Save into the game in time :(

VortexSpiral said:

September 12th, 10:38 pm

Yes! Thanks for the Vita support <3

luisyed said:

September 13th, 5:06 am

Another Vita game for me and with cross-buy. Awesome!

Bufftbone said:

September 13th, 6:01 am

Looks good and I’m interested in it but Sony has yet to add it to the store for pre-purchase. Also Sony, if you’re reading this, how about putting direct links to the games you post on the blog for anyone that is interested.

Tsukinomahou said:

September 13th, 9:17 am

Been looking out for this game for a long time, and cross-buy makes it even better.

Vaughnforever said:

September 13th, 10:57 am

OH MY!!! This is a day one purchase for my Vita. This looks great. I don’t see it out on the store yet though to preorder but I’ll keep an eye out closer to 9/25. Can’t wait to play this.

MonkeyFunkR said:

September 13th, 8:09 pm

Well color me SOLD! I’m really excited for this.

Senjutsu_Dav said:

September 13th, 10:44 pm

On the same exact date than Hollow Knight? This is the worst possible timing ever (and with Megaman 11 just after). I’ll definitely play this game, but not before I finish Hollow Knight and Megaman. How come we almost never get nice 2D platformers, then they all pop at the same time? Maaan! The game looks really nice by the way.

Vaeliux said:

September 14th, 8:40 am

Upon sight I knew you were an FFT fan, absolutely love what you’ve done here. Planning to purchase the day it drops! I’m sure i’m not the only one, but as a developer you now have my attention! Can’t wait to give this a “spin”. :)

Bodie Lee's Avatar

Bodie Lee said:

September 14th, 9:37 am

Thank you! FFT is my favorite game <3 I hope you enjoy the game~

ioanina said:

September 14th, 6:08 pm

Nice. Really. I don’t think the game had unlockable art galleries, through my perspective, because if it had, it would up the replay value a bit. You planning on doing that in a patch once the game launches? I’d like to see that in. People are looking forward to playing it, so, thanks!

King-Corobo said:

September 15th, 3:34 pm

Thank you for supporting the Vita. Like some of the other guys said, I really would love a physical version of this game. I know Vita cartridges will be manufactured up until March 2019 in NA and EU, but will still be manufactured in Asia. You may want to work with Eastasiasoft to make physical Vita games and sell them through Play-Asia.

Silentcry911 said:

September 16th, 10:05 pm

The game looks incredible! The Vita community is very supportive, if you check with some of the other publishers to make sure that a vita physical can’t be done would be great. The Vita library could really use such a fun title and we would line up to buy. A collector’s edition too, I’m all in!

Latuki said:

September 21st, 9:40 am

I can’t wait to play this, it looks amazing…a quick question… Will there be any discount for ps plus members on release?

KamiIsHate said:

September 25th, 8:07 am

Easy buy, looks beautiful and well made!

FoxterFox said:

September 26th, 11:05 pm

HOW? How I can buy it in RU region?? There is no game named Timespinner! :'((

FoxterFox said:

September 28th, 1:29 am

Ok, fine!
    Now I’ll go to buy Chasm!

RowdyYankstrider said:

September 28th, 1:59 am

Hi, Bodie! Great to see everything finally coming to fruition!

I know some have already asked about cross-save and that you’ve said that there wasn’t enough time to implement it before release, but are you planning to update the PS4 and PS Vita versions to support cross-save?

If so, do you have an ETA on said update?

Araxius said:

October 8th, 7:39 am

Just purchased. Found it after the kickstarter closed by have been following off and on and saw how much work you put into it. Can’t wait to play, thanks Bodie!