Knack 2

Sep 18

Sep 18

Introducing PlayStation Classic, with 20 Pre-Loaded Games

Featuring Final Fantasy VII, Tekken 3, Wild Arms and 17 other legendary titles, the new mini-console launches December 3 at an MSRP of $99.99 (CAD$129.99).

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by Senior Vice President, PlayStation Worldwide Marketing, SIE

PlayStation Classic

Almost 25 years ago, the original PlayStation was introduced to the world. Developed by Sony Computer Entertainment, it was the first home console in video game history to ship 100 million units worldwide, offering consumers a chance to play games with real-time 3D rendered graphics in their homes.

Today, we are excited to announce that we are bringing back the original PlayStation experience in a new miniaturized version – PlayStation Classic! The console will come pre-loaded with 20 classic titles, including fan-favorites such as Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms.

The mini console is approximately 45% smaller than the original PlayStation, and it emulates the original’s look and feel by featuring similar controllers and packaging. Long-time fans will appreciate the nostalgia that comes with rediscovering the games they know and love, while gamers who might be new to the platform can enjoy the groundbreaking PlayStation console experience that started it all. All of the pre-loaded games will be playable in their original format.

PlayStation Classic

Available for pre-order at select retailers across the US and CAN, each unit will also come with an HDMI cable to connect to their TV, a USB cable, and two controllers for local multiplayer within compatible titles. PlayStation Classic will be available for $99.99 USD (MSRP) / $129.99 CAN (MSRP) on December 3, 2018 – a historic date for all of us at PlayStation.

Visit PlayStation.com for more details on regional availability, and stay tuned to the Blog for the full lineup of titles coming to PlayStation Classic. There are more fan favorites, and we can’t wait to share more details in the coming months.

PlayStation Classic

What are your favorite original PlayStation memories? Share in the comments below!

*AC adaptor sold separately

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 8

Sushini_Lunchbox said:

September 19th, 4:16 am

I have one question. well more like a request…please for the love of god and all that is holy please add Lunar 1 or 2 to the system! i feel the series has been long forgotten and its a shame. my little brother recently asked me what is my favorite RPG on the playstation 1 and when i told him Lunar 2 he looked at me like i was some alien. recently he played the copy of silver star harmony i have the vita. After that he too claims it as one of his all time favorite RPGs on a sony console. for the next generation and us oldies please bring it back. especially Lunar 2 seeing how you have released it for EU but not NA PS-store.

CJ_Mark-_- said:

September 19th, 4:16 am

I still have the original playstation 1! Those same games will come out for the PlayStation 1??

Wall-Bsotp said:

September 19th, 4:26 am

Only 20 pre-loaded
games? How we get more games? buying
again on PS store?
Why we get that simple controller instead of Dualshock
? Will my CD
original games work on this ”
Classic”
? And no AC adaptor. So why should I buy this “Classic Console” when I could buy a PC
or a Raspberry pi3 with an emulator and I’ll get the same result spending less.

Alastor424 said:

September 19th, 5:54 am

The Raspberry is the way to go. There’s no reason to buy this other than nostalgia.

P-Jiggy said:

September 19th, 6:43 am

When nintendo released the nes classic and snes classic, they didn’t release it with joy cons for the switch! They released the systems with the controllers that originally came with them! The controllers are part of the whole nostalgic deal! Either you want it or you don’t! If you don’t, DON’T BUY IT!

Stefan_Cannon said:

September 19th, 4:38 am

I’ll never forget when I was about 9 and I first saw a PS at my local games store, it was running Battle Arena Toshinden which looked incredible to me. That Christmas Eve while playing on the trampoline, I was so incredibly excited as I imagined what it would be like to get that console and that game for Christmas, and lo and behold I did and it was beautiful. Other great memories include playing Crash Bandicoot games, Twisted Metal 1 and 2, Toshinden 2 and 3, Mortal Kombat Trilogy and so many more. I lovingly cherish all my PS games and often go back to enjoy them again at times. Thank you, Sony!!

BlndSquirl said:

September 19th, 4:40 am

I hope either Freakstyle or SSX tricky is on there… hours of fun playing those 2 games

ACDCdemon said:

September 19th, 4:43 am

I’m so excited to see the PlayStation 1 making a come back that’s is my favorite PlayStation of all time could you please put all of the wrestling games on it as well along with GTA 1 and GTA 2 that would be awesome I’ve been a PlayStation guy since the beginning and always will be a PlayStation guy please put more games on it that would be nice also can you use the disc player to play your own disc or does it not open

DOMODASP77 said:

September 19th, 4:44 am

The games that I need more are Bug’s Life and Space Jam really I loved that games

Robsferic said:

Metal Gear Solid
Hogs of War
GTA 2
Diablo

rodhomie said:

September 19th, 4:51 am

“What are your favorite original PlayStation memories?”

Being laid back, coming from school doing homework and then gaming until almost bed time. Many legendary and genre defining games. Good times the shaped my gaming personality

Some of my fondest memories came from FF7, Twisted Metal 2, Xenogears, Resident Evil, Brave Fencer Musashi, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid.

daveyr41 said:

September 19th, 4:54 am

Ac adapter not included?! What kind of nonsense is this? There are going to be a lot of pissed off people who didn’t read the fine print.

racoom3329u said:

September 19th, 4:56 am

I’m anxious I hope I have several graphic options to improve the visual appearance of the games like the rest of the mini consoles like. – Classic mode similar to the one you have on an old tv crt – Pixel mode if no filter – Smoth filter mode similar to that of a PlayStation 2 – High resolution mode that improves resolution and fluency to native 720p.

laksha123 said:

September 19th, 4:57 am

how can i pre. booking for ps1 clasic.

Acidspitting said:

September 19th, 5:02 am

Its an amazing concept, except Nintendo beat you to the punch by a few years. Honestly though, I’m pretty hyped for this. It’s quite unfortunate, however, that it wont play the old PS1 discs. That would’ve made the calue of ths thing a lot more valuable.

broggin83 said:

September 19th, 5:03 am

This is awesome!!! Hope it has Legend of the Dragoon on it.

dominiumundi said:

September 19th, 5:07 am

Ejem… Sorry but WTF… AC adapter sold separately? Are you Nintendo or some other? Don’t misunderstand. I love this great announcement. But please sell us a complete classic console… Don’t try to cheat us.

Fluffhead34 said:

September 19th, 5:09 am

How does one pre-order this? I was looking in the store didnt see anything

GiBBERSTiX said:

September 19th, 5:17 am

Jetmoto would be sweet

KalkingGamer said:

September 19th, 5:17 am

Bunch of games that I think are necessary and would make this a day-one-buy for me:
Syphon Filter 1
Megaman Legends
Spyro the Dragon
Crash Bandicoot
Tomb Raider
PaRappa the Rapper
Resident Evil 1/2/3
Silent Hill
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Twisted Metal 3
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3

lil_gucci19 said:

September 19th, 5:19 am

I know a vintage game store that’s near me that sells PS1 games and PS2 games I’m dead-ass going to buy this♂️

Jimmy2TokyoJapan said:

September 19th, 5:19 am

Alright fools, lets get the record straight. This is the best investment for the PlayStation Original since they released the PSOne. For all of you that are complaining about the controller, they are releasing this system in all 3 regions to the 1994 or 1995 specs. DualShock Controllers were not out until late 1997 or early 1998 wherever you are on this planet. The games are classics, this system looks to be a very well build and I cant wait to get all 3 regions and show them off at my YT Channel, The Sony PlayStation 1 Sanctuary Channel. If anyone is PS1 nostalgic, find me there now!

Aquamarina_24601 said:

September 19th, 5:20 am

This is amazing, one of the game has to be Symphony off the Night, it’s a classic among many.

cpozzy1967 said:

September 19th, 5:25 am

I hope it comes with WipeOut and Demolition Derby! Those were the first 2 games I got and spent (wasted) hundreds of hours playing!!

nathanuc1988 said:

September 19th, 5:26 am

Price seems a bit high for something with only 20 games and no digital controllers. Also, A/C adapter sold separately? It looks like a basic USB power input… but common :(

I also would have liked to see PS1 classic support on PS4 before this was announced.

Mehet_Sliverwolf said:

September 19th, 5:27 am

I hope games like Ffviii and Parasite Eve 2 came in the list… For me it’s a must have… Good work sony

jambon said:

September 19th, 5:39 am

No doubt it will be sold out in seconds and up on pikeybay for a joke price just like that 500million edition PS4 Pro.

Having owned pretty much every iteration of Playstation since it’s release 25 years ago it is a little annoying to miss out on these items and I refuse to pay the grey market price.

Wake up Sony and make enough of them and stop feeding this vulgar grey market and putting even more money in crap companies like eBay.

killated10 said:

September 19th, 5:53 am

You could just pre-order ……..

Alastor424 said:

September 19th, 5:49 am

AC adaptor sold separately. 99.99. For the player.

R3KLUSE_84 said:

September 19th, 5:58 am

If it comes with Tony Hawks Pro Skater’s I will get this in a heart beat.

FreeRPGer said:

September 19th, 6:09 am

For that higher price, I sure hope it includes:
Breath of Fire 3
Tales of Destiny
Legend of Dragoon
Final Fantasy 8 & 9. (and Tactics)
Lunar Silver Star Story
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue
Grandia
Valkyrie Profile
Legend of Legaia
Xenogears
Not to mention Resident Evil 2, Oddworld, Metal Gear Solid, and Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

CHEEDER said:

September 19th, 6:10 am

Better have Metal Gear Solid as one of the best ps1 classics! Maybe even Syphon Filter!

Noeinch said:

September 19th, 6:10 am

One of My favorite games for PSOne was the trilogy of Crash bandicoot!! I’m very excited to get this product!

colevhatch said:

September 19th, 6:19 am

Please don’t have supply issues like Nintendo make sure you make enough so everyone can get one! I would love to see Parasite Eve 1 & 2, Silent Hill, Resident Evil 1 & 2, Soul Reaver, Xenogears, Twisted Metal 2 & 3, Final Fantasy 8 & 9, Tomb Raider, Breath of Fire 4 & 5. Come on Sony don’t let us down do it right!

IceCadaverX said:

September 19th, 6:24 am

PS1 had Breath of Fire 3 and 4

langdon said:

September 19th, 6:20 am

So pre-loaded, implying you can load more… does that mean Cross Buy?

IceCadaverX said:

September 19th, 6:21 am

You know you guys would probably profit more by enabling emulation for ps1/ps2 games on ps4 and expanding the library vs the production and distribution costs of this mini ps1.

Why do you think ps2 and ps3 sales were crazy? Because they had backwards compatibility.

Mark my words, the company (whether it be sony, nintendo, or Microsoft) that releases a console with 100% backwards compatibility with full library emulation will absolutely monopolize the gaming market and effectively destroy the competition.

Hell, Sega could release a console with full access to Master System, Genesis/MegaDrive, Saturn, Dreamcast, and any licensed games they’ve had since, plus some new titles, and because of their backwards compatibility, they would go from obscure underdog to top of the console food chain almost literally overnight.

Do the thing, Sony. I believe in you.

Also, Valkyrie Profile, Jade Cocoon, Digimon World 3 on psn store, please.

Otterpoet said:

September 19th, 6:22 am

It’s so small, I’d be afraid I’d break the damned thing XD Still, this is rather cool.

KAPADO said:

September 19th, 6:27 am

“Do you remember Snake? The cries of war in the battlefield”
No Metal Gear Solid no buy, Legend of Dragoon would be nice but I’d take a Bluepoint Remake.
Also add Bushido Blade and I’ll throw my money at it.

Rivithed said:

September 19th, 6:29 am

Where is Castlevania Symphony of the Night?

tytolliver said:

Wild Arms
Road Rash
Xenogears
Parasite Eve

Beezle007 said:

September 19th, 6:31 am

I don’t know if you have already decided on all 20 games…but Legend of the Dragoon is a must guys!

P-Jiggy said:

September 19th, 6:33 am

I need Legend of Dragoon which might be my favorite rpg ever, and Battle arena Toshinden!

BeardedDurtymax said:

September 19th, 6:35 am

The system better have the original Metal Gear Solid the first Tony Hawk Pro Skater Legend of Dragoon at least one of the Resident Evil games and Gran Turismo or else this console is not worth the purchase

BeardedDurtymax said:

September 19th, 6:36 am

This console better have the first Tony Hawk the original Metal Gear Solid Legend of Dragoon Resident Evil 2 in Gran Turismo or else you’re lying to yourself when you say this has classic games

Barahoote said:

September 19th, 6:36 am

I just want to be able to play ALL the games i have on disk still. FF Tactics is #1 on my list to play and introduce my kid to. Such a great experience. I agree with everyone else that this should be something supported by my PS4 Pro though. Why can this $400.00 super gaming console not have emulation software. Hell Sony make the emulation software viable and not the monthly fee nonsense you tried last year.

Inuboykendo1000 said:

September 19th, 6:43 am

Listen to me Sony for once in your lives. I WANT Resident Evil on it. Don’t care if you give me RE2 or 1. Just give me Resident Evil and I will gladly buy this!

Molovich said:

September 19th, 6:49 am

Legend of Dragoon please!!!

yitan_87 said:

September 19th, 6:50 am

Final Fantasy IX and Silent Hill, please!

D382H said:

September 19th, 6:51 am

Ok let’s end thus argument right here

The original PlayStation launched W/o DualShock controllers, this is true however, they soon released the updated DualShock controller which contained rumble feature as well as twin sticks (Analogue) with the option to turn the Analogue sticks on and off depending on the game played.

Metal Gear Solid was, I believe, the first game yo

D382H said:

September 19th, 7:00 am

Ok let’s end thus argument right here

Metal Gear Solid was, I believe, the first game to be designed specifically for the rumble feature (classic Kojima)

The PSOne was released after the PS2 and came W/ updated versions of the DualShock controllers.

So… IMHO… whilst I see why they would release this mini version with the original controller design… it would be wise to include the DualShock as well.

As for being USB powered… I don’t have random spare USB slots lying around or spare phone chargers hell… I don’t even have enough HDMI ports because Samsung thinks 4 is enough!

I doubt this will run discs or games that use the Analogue sticks.

Vaughnforever said:

September 19th, 6:54 am

This is so great. I can’t wait to see what other games are on the system. The original Playstation is what got me back into gaming. I was in college and tired of the kiddie games on the “other” system. But after seeing Final Fantasy VII and Resident Evil I was hooked and have been ever since. I never kept my old collection but have bought many of these on PSN, but I am happy to buy this little gem.

NeoSkyte said:

September 19th, 6:56 am

You know for $130 CAD you could’ve included an AC adapter with the console. Anyway not picking this it’s way too pricey.

D382H said:

September 19th, 7:00 am

Ok let’s end thus argument right here

I doubt this will run discs or games that use the Analogue sticks.

aaron1234 said:

September 19th, 7:00 am

I was incredibly excited for this…but seeing it only comes with 20 games!?!?!?!? Come on, Sony….you couldnt make it at least 50? How about a full game list before I give money….

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 8