Knack 2

Sep 18

Sep 18

Introducing PlayStation Classic, with 20 Pre-Loaded Games

Featuring Final Fantasy VII, Tekken 3, Wild Arms and 17 other legendary titles, the new mini-console launches December 3 at an MSRP of $99.99 (CAD$129.99).

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by Senior Vice President, PlayStation Worldwide Marketing, SIE

PlayStation Classic

Almost 25 years ago, the original PlayStation was introduced to the world. Developed by Sony Computer Entertainment, it was the first home console in video game history to ship 100 million units worldwide, offering consumers a chance to play games with real-time 3D rendered graphics in their homes.

Today, we are excited to announce that we are bringing back the original PlayStation experience in a new miniaturized version – PlayStation Classic! The console will come pre-loaded with 20 classic titles, including fan-favorites such as Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms.

The mini console is approximately 45% smaller than the original PlayStation, and it emulates the original’s look and feel by featuring similar controllers and packaging. Long-time fans will appreciate the nostalgia that comes with rediscovering the games they know and love, while gamers who might be new to the platform can enjoy the groundbreaking PlayStation console experience that started it all. All of the pre-loaded games will be playable in their original format.

PlayStation Classic

Available for pre-order at select retailers across the US and CAN, each unit will also come with an HDMI cable to connect to their TV, a USB cable, and two controllers for local multiplayer within compatible titles. PlayStation Classic will be available for $99.99 USD (MSRP) / $129.99 CAN (MSRP) on December 3, 2018 – a historic date for all of us at PlayStation.

Visit PlayStation.com for more details on regional availability, and stay tuned to the Blog for the full lineup of titles coming to PlayStation Classic. There are more fan favorites, and we can’t wait to share more details in the coming months.

PlayStation Classic

What are your favorite original PlayStation memories? Share in the comments below!

*AC adaptor sold separately

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 6 7 8

arnoldmcguire335 said:

September 23rd, 11:30 am

If it includes:
Digimon Rumble Arena
Crash Team Racing
Megaman 8, X4 and X5
Final Fantasy VIII
Running Wild
Tomba!
Street Fighter Alpha 3

…then I’m getting it on day one. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

QUIXPEED said:

September 23rd, 11:42 am

my all time favorite is Tomb Raider 4 – The Last Revelation, also Music 2000, Gran Tursimo is why i bought the console but TR4 really hooked me well afterwards for its game play, its just an outstanding game in its time.

MarkusAlfredo said:

September 23rd, 12:38 pm

Vib-Ribbon

StevenT475 said:

September 23rd, 3:54 pm

lol everyone complaining about limited number of games compared to NES and SNES classic. Well spoiler alert people PS1 game sizes are huge compared to the Nintendo games. NES games are under 1mb and SNES under 10mb each. While PS1 game sizes are usually around 500mb each. So if anything Nintendo is ripping you off, yell at them. The fact that they only put 30 games which is isn’t even 30 MB on NES Classic is laughable. Same goes for SNES.

derwynsharp said:

September 23rd, 6:18 pm

I have looked on different site, but I have not seen the answer to my question. Does anyone know if you can put actual PS one games into the system and play them or does it have to be downloaded only? I also agree that it is pretty selfish of SONY to only place twenty games on the system when the others have placed over two hundred. The only reason I can come up with as to why, is because the more updated systems that come out, the amount of memory increases.

Loser__Kid182 said:

September 23rd, 6:54 pm

No dualshocks? so Ape escape is off the list . Bad move, sony bad move.

Loser__Kid182 said:

September 23rd, 6:54 pm

No dualshocks? so Ape escape is off the list . Bad move, Sony, bad move.

AuZziE-ToN said:

September 24th, 5:04 am

Honestly, I wasnt too impressed with the PS4. I do like the idea of a mini playstation classic, but the fact that you’re selling the power cord, regardless the fact that it works with android chargers, can be seen as an act of greed. Power cords have always come with a console.. Why the sudden change of heart? Dual-shock controllers should have been a seperate bundle and you could have made more money that way instead of a stupid power cable. I think sony should think about this before launch.

P.S. I’m a huge LoD fan. As many times as I’ve been told and will be told otherwise, I think you should do a prequel or a remaster for this masterpiece. Die-hards and fans have been asking for years on end. I think the new gen/millenials would appreciate the game as well. Give them a break from Call of Duty and Overwatch. The game sold fairly well on the PSN store, why not give it a chance?

TheDarkness_81 said:

September 24th, 5:41 am

Castlevania Symphony of the Night will probably be on it. Hoping Breath of Fire 3 makes the cut personally

xfiler1 said:

September 24th, 7:10 am

Resident evil 1,2,3. Castlevania sympathy of the night, and far most Suikoden 1 that’s a must. Well all 5 are a must

Pieter2006 said:

September 24th, 8:58 am

Please for the Love of God and all that is Holy, add The Legend of Dragoon! I will instantly buy this if that is on there!

Jade Cocoon would be amazing as well but The Legend of Dragoon is a must!!!

ProfPineapplePP said:

September 24th, 9:07 am

I would love to play some Driver!

FreeRPGer said:

September 24th, 11:08 am

I pre-ordered one, which I might cancel if there aren’t more games I like announced on it.
There should be a full list of games NOW, BEFORE pre-orders are available, especially considering its 100 bucks.
Only 3 games I care about now are on this (Wild Arms, Tekken, & FF7), which I already have and aren’t worth $100 alone.
This PS1 Classic NEEDS “The Legend of Dragoon,” by Sony’s own Japan Studio. Needs. It.
There’s others it needs, like Castlevania: SotN, Oddworld, Metal Gear, & Breath of Fire 3, but this NEEDS The Legend of Dragoon at least, to keep me interested enough to not cancel my pre-order.
I have two working PS1’s now, one a brand new spare, but I’d like to hook this up to my HDMI TV, thus having a few great games I like on here will make it worth it.
Unless we’ll be able to add games later…………..that’d be awesome.
Please Sony. It’s your own game.
The. Legend. Of. Dragoon.

FreeRPGer said:

September 24th, 11:10 am

The. Legend. Of. Dragoon. And…
    Breath of Fire 3.

Stinkbrain256 said:

September 24th, 11:37 am

I can’t believe this is happening! Just please include Crash, Spyro, an Metal Gear.

BioDiedAgain said:

October 8th, 5:03 pm

Why put them on if there is a Crash, Spyro and Metal Gear remake?

AAIG1995 said:

September 24th, 12:53 pm

Even though this most likely won’t be able to play the Disk formatted PS1 games but I wouldn’t mind if this were to come with the Dual shocks because I was hopeing for Ape Escape to land on this Retro Gameing Console and I better hope Metal Gear Solid lands on this System because if Snake gets on there Sony is going to make a Boat load of sales with this and if there is no Solid Snake this won’t sell if it don’t have games like Resident Evil 2(1998),Ape Escape,Metal Gear Solid,Spider-Man(2000),Tony Hawk Pro skater trilogy,Grand Theft Auto,Gran Turismo,and possibly Tomb Raider (won’t matter which one).

AAIG1995 said:

September 24th, 1:06 pm

Also if you look at the one minute Video on the fourteenth second there is a little pull tab on the back side like what you would see hold in the Batteries on a TV Remote or a Wireless Computer Mouse for example.

I wonder what is behind that pull tab could it be a Hard Drive or could it be something that can make this interact with the PS4?
    We won’t know for certain until December.

In addition I think Sony should sell two versions of this Console one that has Dual Shocks be worth a Hundred Dollars,and one without Dual Shocks cost Fifty Dollars tops.
    Along with hopeing those Controller cords aren’t that short because a lot of those retro gamers had experienced that problem with the short Controller cords with the NES Classic Edition.

andyoko601 said:

September 24th, 2:29 pm

Wait if the console runs with an ac adapter sell it with the unit don’t make it be sold separately like the console is already $99.99 or $129.99 depending where you live I would love to have one but if I can’t play the thing with an ac adapter than why should I spend $99.99 on a unit and I wouldn’t be able to play it and also what the hell is the usb cable for it’s an original PlayStation I don’t remember the original needing a usb cable

RickyNelo said:

29 games …

elvennations said:

September 26th, 8:23 pm

Parasite Eve, all time favorite PlayStation game

LRae510 said:

September 24th, 5:24 pm

I have to agree with alot of the people saying that these games should be available to download on the PS4. With that said, I love these things and they’re really cute and good for someone who plays on an Xbox or if you wanna show your kid some classics. A PS2 version would be great.

Grexotic said:

September 24th, 9:26 pm

Thank you.

KidGT said:

September 25th, 3:16 pm

I need Battle Arena Toshinden! That was the game that made me get the Playstation.

LOGANN64 said:

September 25th, 4:24 pm

Please include the AC adaptor! If Nintendo does it shouldn’t you?

WOLVERINEN64 said:

September 25th, 5:31 pm

Wait, what? Really? No adaptor?!?!? Come on Sony dont make the same mistakes Nintendo made!

WOLVERINEN64 said:

September 25th, 5:33 pm

And yes Logan is my friend in case you noticed the N64 at the end of our names!

Tee_3_P_0 said:

September 25th, 5:55 pm

Soul Edge / Soul Blade was my fave and needs to be be one of the 20.

Enguarde98 said:

September 25th, 11:25 pm

As with the majority, I don’t agree with their decision to exclude the Dual Shock functionality for the controllers or to not allow the system to connect to PSN to be able to pay for and download additional games online in the future and have trophy support. They’re even being like Nintendo in terms of their New 3DS / 2DS portables and not including a proprietary AC adapter. I imagine some of this can and will be addressed. They will probably release 3rd party controllers with Dual Shock which are compatible with the Playstation Classic just like they eventually released 3rd Party wireless controllers for the SNES Classsic Edition. 3rd Party AC Adapters may be sold in the aftermath also.

Enguarde98 said:

September 25th, 11:30 pm

While I understand that there are current remakes of the original Crash and Spyro series, I still think they should include the PS1 version of Crash Bandicoot 3 : Warped over Crash 1 or 2 as it was easily the most distinguished of the threeand in my opinion, the best in the original series. Crash Team Racing makes perfect sense as it doesn’t even have a current remaster / remake yet and the lineup needs a true karting game to compete with Super Mario Kart on the SNES Classic and Mario Kart 64 on the inevitable N64 Classic Edition. Spyro 2 : Ripto’s Rage and Spyro 3 : Year of the Dragon are equally as good. Either of the Spyro sequels would be a good choice. I hope that Sony is keeping at least some of this in mind. The probability of Sony doing all of this the right way is low.

Also : Syphon Filter 1 or 2, Dino Crisis 1 or 2, and Metal Gear Solid for the stealth shooters / shooters.

QUICKSILV3R_com said:

September 26th, 7:47 am

*AC adaptor sold separately
RIP OFFS!

Ashucrypto said:

September 26th, 11:18 am

Great article.
I had written a similar topic article.

thanks and regards

Krillos said:

September 26th, 11:45 am

There are four games I want in PSClassic and they are Legend of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Bishi Bashi Special and Symphony of the Night.

elvennations said:

September 26th, 8:18 pm

I have a lot of good memories from FF7 and (for the PS2) Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone (you get to play as Drizzt!!!!!), but honestly, the games that really made the PlayStation my favorite system at the time were the Parasite Eve games. The play mechanics were completely unique from anything I’d experienced before and, as a fan of science, sci-if, and comics, I absolutely loved the concept of gaining powers from mitochondria. To this day Aya Brea remains one of my favorite characters.

Bmyfavgam said:

September 26th, 9:52 pm

For the sake of GOD! I’ll leave a list of titles that MUST come be pre loaded;
Let’s simplify a little things:
CAPCOM Breath of Fire III; Breath of Fire IV; Resident Evil; Resident Evil 2; Resident Evil 3 Nemesis; Dino Crisis and Dino Crisis 2
SQUARE-ENIX Parasite Eve; Parasite Eve 2; Valkyrie Profile (low prob); Chrono Cross; Legend of Mana (I’d rather prefer FF9 instead of FF7); Star Ocean Second Star Story; Final Fantasy Tactics
KONAMI Castlevania Symphony of the Night; Suikoden; Suikoden II; Silent Hill
The presence of a Ridge Racer and Tekken game let me dream with Tales of Destiny 1 and 2 (low prob)
Other games Gran Turismo 1 and 2; Rally Cross
Another great game (series) that could come would be Tomb Raider (Very low prob)

If this isn’t ask too much, it would be nice to see Ogre Battle March of The Black Queen; Lunar 1 and 2 and plus Brigandine
All these titles have a considereted chance to be added due commercials relationship;
So if you are planning to put dumb titles like Croc; I’ll leave off Sony forever…

adventfire said:

September 27th, 10:39 am

Yeah, I’m not getting excited about this until I see the list of games. So far I dont like 2 of the 5 games listed. My wish is for all 20 games to be RPGs but I know that isn’t going to happen. So I’m hoping like the other “classics” NES and SNES it will be able to be jailbroken and I can just put the games I want on there.

The-Buddha-Bear said:

September 28th, 6:26 am

I was excited at first, then I realized that they are the ones that decided against making their systems backwards compatible, so that we’d have to spend extra money on games we’ve purchased, or on cash grabs like this (that don’t even come with an AC adapter).
I know I’m not the only one that still has my PS1 and PS2 games. I would pay more for a system that lets me relive my favorite games whenever I want.

Mexiboy said:

September 29th, 10:54 pm

Please include gran turismo 1 and 2, Hexen, musashi, nfs 2, 3, and 4

ThatsWild98 said:

October 1st, 3:56 pm

I want Final Fantasy 9 and the rare Pocket Fighter (1998) with all it’s glorious last-hour 2D pixel graphics.

A2GODSMACKER said:

October 2nd, 7:21 am

If it doesn’t come with Metal Gear and Syphon Filter I’m not interested….

V1cR0se said:

October 5th, 3:52 am

Are the memory card slots going to be functional? Will you guys sell memory cards with more preloaded games to insert in the memory card slot?

jelone22 said:

October 6th, 1:29 pm

Would be Awesome if a Remaster of illbleed comes to ps4 console.
OR A Reboot or Sequel. Illbleed is a Horror Game That was on Dreamcast. But would be cool to see a ps4 Version. The only thing I don’t like about it is Single Player. I think Online Multiplayer games are more fun. Other than that Great Game.

Lenichelle said:

October 7th, 2:02 pm

20 games? sound like it’s not enough

What games I remember to play..

Gran Turismo

-Resident Evil 1
-Silent Hill
-Medal of Honor
-Spyro

BioDiedAgain said:

October 8th, 4:57 pm

Wild 9, Breath of Fire 3 or 4, I.Q.: Intelligent Qube, Bust A Grove 1 or 2, Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring, the unholy war, silent hill, um jammer lammy, parappa the rapper, twisted metal 2, Tomba, Thrill Kill,Spawn: The Eternal, Loaded or Re-loaded, Clock Tower, Metal Slug X, Rampage though time, omega boost, Armored Core, Nightmare Creatures, Beyond the Beyond, Bloody Roar, Bushido Blade 1 or 2, Deception III: Dark Delusion, Destrega, Echo Night, Einhänder, Front Mission, Galerians, Herc’s Adventures, Jet Moto 1,2 or 3, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Legend of Legaia, LSD, Castlevania Chronicles. Brave Fencer Musashi, Grand Theft Auto 2

BioDiedAgain said:

October 8th, 5:01 pm

Thrill Kill!!! Make it happen this time around!!

BioDiedAgain said:

October 8th, 5:10 pm

Just plug the usb cord into the TV it works to power the system

BioDiedAgain said:

October 8th, 5:11 pm

It works for the NES classic and the SNES classic

HallgeirAnker said:

October 9th, 6:47 am

Please Sony, Please! Let this new retro system “start up” exactly like the old Playstation, with BOTH the logos! (first Sony Computer Entertainment and then the Playstation logo) That will give us the right retro feel! Like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE_iCgBUacQ

When we download the PS1 games from PSN or play PS1 games on PS Vita, PS2, we only get the Playstation logo…

BioDiedAgain said:

October 11th, 1:57 pm

Also have the game select screen setup like the old PlayStation underground demo disk with the flip tiles with codes the play secert games or demos/videos.

escobar9009 said:

October 11th, 5:03 pm

I’m not sure bout the changes to FF:VII reboot due to the battle system, so this intrigued me as it has the original. If it has that, castlevania SOTN and a few other choice games I would happily buy it. And let’s face it there will probably be a way to add external hard drive etc so if there’s any games you want that aren’t there it will be possible. We shall see

stefanreeves said:

October 13th, 3:45 am

Hogs of War! That game is the only game I’d need to see to buy one That game was my childhood.

Vengerkun said:

October 15th, 2:40 pm

I’m looking forward to get the PlayStation Classic (Europe)! ^.^
My PlayStation Classic game suggestions:

No1: Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

No2: Resident Evil 1.

No3: Resident Evil 2.

No4: Resident Evil 3.

No5: Final Fantasy VII.

No6: Final Fantasy VIII.

No7: Final Fantasy IX.

No8: Metal Gear Solid.

No9: Gran Turismo 1.

No10: Wipeout 3.

No12: Destruction Derby 2.

No13: Silent Hill 1.

No14: Tenchu Birth of the Stealth Assassins.

No15: The Legend of Dragoon.

Since the PlayStation Classic costs around €99, I think we should get the best PlayStation games in that 20.

This standalone PlayStation Classic could be the ultimate game collection of the Sony PlayStation era! ^.^

PAGE 1 6 7 8