Knack 2

Nov 05

Nov 05

How to Survive The Forest, Out Tomorrow on PS4

Learn how to survive in Endnight's terrifying open world survival horror experience.

Anna Terekhova's Avatar Posted by Game Developer, Endnight Games Ltd

The Forest isn’t like other games. You won’t be given tutorials or guidance, there are no NPCs or missions. You’re dropped into a world and it’s up to your creativity and abilities to survive. You’ll probably die a lot, especially at first.

Survive in this new type of game unlike anything else with these hints and tips:

The Forest

CRAFT

One of the simplest weapons you can make is a CLUB. This weapon is effective in combat but won’t chop trees. To make a club, simply find an enemy cannibal and kill him. Once he’s dead, chop his head off and then build a fire. Place the head on the fire and wait for it to burn away the skin and flesh. Now, take your freshly cooked skull, find a stick and shove the skull onto the stick. You now have an effective weapon against the bad guys.

BUILD AN EFFIGY

Another effective survival tactic is to fully dismember all of the enemies you kill. With your new club this should be much easier. Take as many body parts as you can carry and decorate stick effigies with them. You can then light these all on fire as a warning to others not to mess with you. Extra hint: Build a log sled to transport lots of bodies at once to make harvesting them easier.

FOOD

It’s important to keep your energy up, and that means eating. You can hunt deer and rabbits, or maybe find a boar or racoon. Berries are available but some might be poisonous. Another option is to cook and eat the body parts of the enemies you’ve killed. Body parts can be cooked by drying on a drying rack, placed directly on a fire, or for an energy-boosting stew add a leg to a pot of boiling water with some mushrooms and berries.

The Forest

BUILDINGS

A good base needs a good fence. You have a few options here, you can make a weak fence out of sticks, a strong wall out of stones, or take a dead enemy, drop him on a fire, wait for the body to burn away, and then collect his or her bones. These bones can make a great decorative fence that’s a lot stronger than regular wood.

UPGRADES

Finding your weapons too weak against the ever encroaching enemy threat that cannot be reasoned with? Weapons can all be upgraded. First, chop at a tree to receive some TREE SAP. Now, bash away at some enemies — TEETH should fly out. You can now use the tree sap with the teeth to make your weapons even deadlier.

ARMOR

Smash open the skull of a lizard and then cut off it’s skin to wrap around your body for an effective light armor. Combine skin with leaves for a stealth armor. Want even more powerful armor? Slice away at the corpses of some of the game’s bigger monsters and wear their skin as protection.

The Forest

STAY CLEAN

Covered in blood from fighting and chopping enemies? Make sure to find a clear water source to wash off. Getting blood inside your cuts won’t be good for you.

STILL FINDING THE GAME TOO HARD?

Invite a friend to play with you. Sure, the enemies will scale up in difficulty as a result, but going online is a great way to learn the ins and outs of survival as well as making new friends. Chop, build, and fight to survive in The Forest, out tomorrow at PlayStation Store for $19.99.

Add Your Own

SCHICSHIFTER said:

November 5th, 6:22 am

It sounds cool

lowkee33 said:

November 8th, 6:36 am

I bought this game a couple years ago in Alpha on Pc and even then it was a masterpiece. I have enjoyed many hours that I have put into it. The devs are great and have put their heart and soul into this game. It is worth double what they are asking if not more. I fully recommend this game and will be buying it myself on console as well. Thank you guys for bringing it to my favorite system!

Orpheus_Aeons said:

November 5th, 6:44 am

As a guy that NEVER buys Day 1 (anything)…this game is going to break that for me. I’ve been waiting for it for 4 YEARS! So bring the fear, baby! I’m ready!

I was willing to pay up to 40 bucks for it…but the fact that you guys matched the Steam price tells me that I definitely need to support you and instabuy it. In these very greedy days seeing a publisher/developer NOT trying to scam their customers is a rare commodity.

So KUDOS for being super-cool! You deserve the best in this & all your future projects! ;)

NapKan_ said:

November 5th, 10:39 pm

Heh I bought it in alpha for like 8$ ahhhh PC wake up and smell the roses sir

Silent_Plague420 said:

November 6th, 5:11 am

Bro if this game is anything close to what it is on steam your gonna love it I played forest on pc since early beta and I have to say the dev support was fantastic every update worked well when it was released I honestly can’t say enough good things about the guys handling this game you won’t regret buying it for sure

Orpheus_Aeons said:

November 6th, 7:50 am

@NapKan_ : Nah, pass. I’m not a teenager. As an adult I don’t have time to deal with stupid installs, drivers, updates, upgrades, DRM and all those cute lil’ things you “master race” apparently love so much. I absolutely LOVE to play on consoles, since it’s the REAL plug & play. Plus I’m not into paying for beta testing for free for devs. So…yup.

@Silent_Plague420 : Sweet, thanks for sharing! I’ve been in love with the look & feel of this game since E3 ’14, watching the occasional vid online and patiently waiting for the promised port. So I know I’m gonna love it. This is my RDR2. The hype is real. LOL

ErraticInsomniac said:

November 5th, 6:49 am

Having it on PC & now console official release I’m excited so ready!

Ksmalldarkside46 said:

November 5th, 7:16 am

question how much dose it actually cost because i have $20.89c in my ps4 account

Ksmalldarkside46 said:

November 5th, 7:17 am

and what time it come out?

WiredProduct77 said:

November 5th, 9:17 am

Its gonna be 22 dollars after tax rounding up not rounding od say 21.85

killshot12321 said:

November 5th, 4:48 pm

Its 19.99 and if bought on store there wont be tax. It comes out the 6th of this month.

SDTrojan2002 said:

November 8th, 8:37 pm

@killshot12321, it depends on the state. TN recently passed a bill to charge sales tax on e-commerce.

Ksmalldarkside46 said:

November 5th, 7:20 am

plz respond

FuZZy_BuNNies said:

November 5th, 8:07 am

What is the tax rate in your area, some simple math and you have the actual cost.

Ksmalldarkside46 said:

November 5th, 8:50 am

tax rate is 5.500%. and i have $20.89 and it cost 19.99 i need to know home much its cost fully im bad at math

Zanself said:

November 5th, 9:17 am

It will cost you right at $22.00. at 5.5% sales tac you pay 0.55c for every $10. So go search your couch cushions.

Zanself said:

November 5th, 9:18 am

Typo, $21

Prophet76 said:

November 5th, 9:46 am

$21.08945; rounded up = $21.09

stealthymonkey12 said:

November 5th, 7:33 am

Id love to just get lost in this game for hours. I haven’t found a survival game thats kept me interested. I hope this one does :)

VogetoHampton said:

November 5th, 7:38 am

when can we preorder it and whats the cost

jerk_man said:

November 5th, 1:31 pm

It literally comes out tomorrow so there are probably no pre order options, and its $19.99. Did you even read the article?

KSzGOONER said:

November 5th, 7:44 am

Really looking forward to this!

SpinnAround_Xx said:

November 5th, 7:49 am

will this be cross-platform?

BlueBl1zzard said:

November 5th, 8:00 am

Wow, just from reading this post, I’m impressed at how much depth and interacting systems seem to be in this game. Also that price! I was considering picking this up anyway, but that price completely sold me!

NapKan_ said:

November 5th, 10:41 pm

Lol y’all get to have some.cool stuff they removed effigies from PC to my knowledge as I’ve no longer seen them in the book

Amgody said:

November 5th, 8:31 am

still can’t see it in the PSN store in the UK, any info? i need to be able to download it before the release!!

Markzz_93 said:

November 5th, 9:47 am

PS store normally updates Tuesdays between 10am-2pm.

Ksmalldarkside46 said:

November 5th, 8:34 am

Skeetlejuice said:

November 5th, 8:53 am

You’re short 19 cents mate.

the fact people can’t figure basic math like tax percentages is a big problem. You have internet and a phone / computer etc.

obviously your education isn’t worth a lick, perhaps games shouldn’t be your only priority.

base number * tax rate =

19.99 * 1.055 (the 55 is your 5.5 tax) = ? (19 cents short)

percent out if a hundred that is how you figure decimal place if it was 50% then 1.5 or .5 fo the actual tax

the reason you use 1.xx is so you don’t have to add them together after (eek more grade 2-3 marh oh noes)

percentage is dead easy, and a big reason people get ripped off all the time in stores and with raises etc at work, doing basic math in your head and remembering stuff.

$21.09

guess you need a psn card (or paypall / credit card etc like the adults)

Prophet76 said:

November 5th, 9:49 am

But if doing it the “long” way helps you understand…..

$19.99 + ($19.99 × 5.5%) = $19.99 + ($19.99 × 0.055) = $19.99 + 1.09945 = $21.08945 = $21.09 (rounded up)

Basic stuff.

McSmuggler said:

November 8th, 5:51 am

O no it’s not that easy now you have to do it the common core math way other wise everyone is confused and cant understand how you got your answer…..

bent_toe said:

November 5th, 8:51 am

In 7 hours it’s the 6th….it’s not on the store, i guess someone will be working late and upload it a minute past midnight.

DLB said:

November 5th, 8:59 am

Two questions. Will there be CrossPlay and will there be VR support?

Ksmalldarkside46 said:

November 5th, 9:10 am

im 7 and its for my big brotherr

Prophet76 said:

November 5th, 10:01 am

Don’t have quite enough, little man. Sorry. Don’t worry about the math too much though. That will come :) Have a nice day.

desaster2000c said:

November 5th, 10:42 am

So there is no couch coop? That’s very sad because this is a feature you should implement

Ethertron1 said:

November 5th, 5:46 pm

Couch Co-op would’ve made the game %110 better as you would be able to play with friends without the internet. I play without internet most of the time because the closest thing we have to it (because of our location) is my mothers mobile data. (I’m a High School student that’s why I said my mums mobile data)

WileyPride said:

November 5th, 10:55 am

Will there be VR support like on steam?

BlindSamurai12 said:

November 5th, 10:58 am

Super excited for this!! But wanted to know how the online works. Do you find a game? Do I have to host and if so does that mean my friends can only make progress if I’m online?

saike1 said:

November 5th, 11:55 am

Yes VR support please

LongBrancher said:

November 5th, 12:36 pm

Please tell me this is releasing @ 12 @ midnight tonight cause imma be staying up to play it all night! Does anyone know if it will release @ midnight tonight please let me know!

Yanoth said:

November 5th, 12:50 pm

Buying instantly. Finally a PC port that isnt jacked up in price by 50% or more. Its getting old frankly so I fully support this game bucking the trend. Oh and it looks awesome as well.

Tomoprime said:

November 5th, 1:21 pm

Made with Unity3d

jerk_man said:

November 5th, 1:33 pm

In so glad survival games are making there way to ps4. I recently got Conan: Exiles. So good. 7 days to die is another one of my faves on Ps4. Cant wait to gey this!

N3K4-_-Ballista said:

November 5th, 1:44 pm

Ahhh this is crazy! I’m gonna have to find some friends to play with as 4 dads fight over who’s child it is. Nah, but in all seriousness I’ve been waiting ages for this game and it’s an absolute buy because you matched steam price. Thank you so much!

Pikinau said:

November 5th, 4:01 pm

I am not so easily shocked and I love horror films, but honestly this description of game mechanics like cannibalism, using body parts to craft weapons and setting them on fire sound sick not in a good way – it’s one thing to have that in some silly pixellated platformer and another with this game’s hyper-realistic presentation. And right in this thread we have a 7-year-old adding up his lunch money to buy it for his brother. Not everything that can be done should be done.

Dreason8 said:

November 5th, 4:46 pm

Yeah, I’m with you on this one Pikinau, I love survival games and was about to grab this game until I read that how-to above. Cannibalism, dismembering, stewed legs for food, sounds really messed up. Might give it a miss.

MegaKushaTron said:

November 5th, 5:51 pm

@Pikinau brah your doing to much with that comment save it for the birds bro their the only ones that care about that censorship bull. Maybe you should realize every game is a choice to purchase. It also has ratings for a reason, so regardless of how you feel about a 7 year old on here maybe you should let parents and other people be responsible for themselfs and stop blaming games. P.s it’s that kind of thinking that results in us having bland and boring games because you wanna be shocked rather then impressed with creativity and something fresh.

cowmamba said:

November 7th, 9:14 am

I’m tired of games being watered down or altered to appease ratings. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.

Ethertron1 said:

November 5th, 5:01 pm

hey this is Ethertron1 from Australia, checked the Aussie PS store and the U.S PS store its not popping up except for The Forest movie about a girl who looks for her sister in a Japanese forest where people commit suicide. can someone please contact me on the PlayStation network when it is released to the public.
thanks everyone.

Ethertron1 said:

November 5th, 5:04 pm

and here in Australia, it is the 6th of November sooo. don’t be confused, please, thank you

Dianelys_RJ said:

November 5th, 6:10 pm

Maybe it’s november 6th accord to some zone-time to make a global release.

Orpheus_Aeons said:

November 6th, 8:00 am

Not trying to be an @ss here…but this is the NORTH AMERICAN Blog. So everything you see here is meant FOR AMERICA.

Of course you’re not going to see the same date and/or time in Australia, man. Sadly there isn’t a “global” PSN but a lot of regional ones.

GMendonca28 said:

November 5th, 5:13 pm

Is the co op cap still 4 players max?

Ethertron1 said:

November 5th, 5:31 pm

no, on the PC there was gameplay of 8 players

zombie9 said:

November 5th, 5:42 pm

Hey check out the Australia PSN store on PC it’s there I seen it for 25.95 it comes out Nov 6th. Also this is the North American PSN and they have NO say in what goes up/or is delayed on your store. I think Europe PSN runs it (I could be wrong) your will get greater help there.

Ethertron1 said:

November 5th, 5:47 pm

Thanks checking now

Ethertron1 said:

November 5th, 5:48 pm

I see it thanks alot

Ryken679 said:

November 6th, 8:20 am

What time is it supposed to be available it’s November 6th and it isn’t even registering as an available game or that it is even releasing.

Dianelys_RJ said:

November 5th, 5:48 pm

It’s a really nice sort of guide, but as a weapon I’ll recommend to get the katana first, that’ll make your life a lot easier. Also craft the bow (until you can find a better one) and tons of arrows

Ethertron1 said:

November 5th, 6:30 pm

CHALLENGE:
complete The Forest
allowed:
1. Plane axe
2. Crafted Bow
3. no better than lizard armour
4. cannot use anything else.
5. rusty axe accepted for gathering resources but no killing unless using Plane axe.
6. can build whatever
7. Multiplayer allowed
8. must prove of completing challenge by recording full gameplay and posting on youtube
9. must refer Ethertron1 (with gamer pic) in video and description for accepting challenge
good luck gamers

harbinger said:

November 5th, 8:30 pm

One of the best survival games ever made, definitely a day 1 buy, you won’t regret it.

Ryken679 said:

November 6th, 8:34 am

What time does it actually release today?

iuzizombies23 said:

November 7th, 5:00 pm

Will this have the VR support like the PC version?

Hayabusa_530 said:

November 7th, 6:07 pm

Looks pretty cool. I would much rather play shame that is for Doomsday Preppers! A modern day holocaust. History repeats itself, so it would be cool to practice for what’s ahead.

InfiniteRampageX said:

November 8th, 4:51 am

Is this free? If so, I have no problem.

domviclaw said:

November 8th, 7:04 am

Why is the game selling for $26.99 on the ps store?