God of War

Nov 15

Nov 15

Astro C40 TR Controller Arrives in Early 2019

After more than two years of development, Astro's latest controller is on the horizon with pro gamers and professional tournaments in mind.

Aron Drayer's Avatar Posted by Vice President of Marketing, Astro Gaming

We are thrilled to announce the new Astro C40 TR Controller, an Officially Licensed PlayStation 4 product designed with more than two years of development with pro gamers. Astro is expanding into a new category with a product that utilizes our class-leading industrial design and professional gaming expertise to reset expectations for professional controllers, just like we did with headsets 10 years ago.

Our products have dramatically changed the esports landscape: improving team and player performance along the way. This new controller is the next natural evolution of our continued commitment to esports, pro gaming and gamers in general.

The Astro C40 TR Controller delivers best-in-class features and premium components in an ergonomically comfortable controller that can withstand rigorous use by professional gamers in high-stress environments. The controller has been designed from the ground up with pro gamers and professional tournaments in mind — aspiring pros, hardcore gamers or any gamer who demands more from their gaming equipment will find much to like in our new controller.

Replaceable, swappable stick modules: Quickly and easily swap the Analog Stick or D-Pad Modules for consistently sharp performance. Setup the controller in either Offset or Parallel configurations. Replaceable Stick Caps provide added customization for a competitive advantage.

Integrated, remappable rear buttons: Optimum rear button layout for superior ergonomics improves precision during critical moments. Mappability streamlines the controller for any genre and playstyle while improving response time and accuracy. Remap buttons directly on the controller with no PC software required.

Astro customization software: Astro customization software exponentially increases the C40 TR’s versatility and accuracy. Create profiles that can be switched directly from the controller. Adjust trigger and stick sensitivity, remap buttons, adjust dead zones, tweak EQ, audio output, mic out and sidetone.

Wired/wireless modes: With the on-board Mode Switch, quickly change between wired and 2.4 GHZ wireless mode to adapt to any gaming environment. Game sound and voice chat are available using the 3.5mm jack in both modes.

Wireless audio: The C40 TR Controller delivers high fidelity game sound and voice chat in Wired and Wireless mode via the 3.5mm jack. Compatible with any gaming headset.

Trigger stops: Quickly and easily activate the trigger stops, which adjusts the trigger pull distance, to allow hair trigger performance in most FPS titles.

12-hour battery life: Outlast your game with up to 12 hours of battery life.

Included travel case: Travel safe and secure with the travel case for the C40 TR. Protect your controller, module, stick caps and tool all in one hard-shelled case.

Tournament ready: Ready for any environment, the TR line of Astro Gaming products deliver premium design and performance for every type of gamer. All Tournament Ready products are designed and developed to meet the demanding specifications of pro gamers.

The modular and highly customizable Astro C40 TR will deliver a competitive edge while adapting to any gaming environment, from professional tournaments to head-to-head competitions with friends. The new Astro C40 TR Controller is available for pre-order now online direct from Astro’s website for $199.99 ($269.99 CAD), shipping in early 2019, with Gamestop, Amazon, Best Buy and Best Buy Canada also offering the product in early 2019. It is available for PS4 and Windows PC in the United States and Canada, with more countries to follow.

For more information about Astro Gaming or the C40 TR, please visit www.astrogaming.com. Thank you for being a part of the Astro family!

This product is being developed under the official licensing program for PlayStation by Sony Interactive Entertainment and is subject to Sony Interactive Entertainment’s final product approval.

Add Your Own

kcninja said:

November 15th, 7:26 am

But, can you invert the y-axis through the controller?

Aron Drayer's Avatar

Aron Drayer said:

November 16th, 3:40 pm

At the moment that’s not a feature that the C40 TR will launch with but we are working to incorporate that as a feature in the C40 TR Configuration Software!

Azn_Flavor said:

November 15th, 7:29 am

Dang it I bought the wrong pro controller and this one is cheaper…dang you Scuf for being lame!

Grawbad said:

November 18th, 2:56 pm

Dude, to this day I am still pissed at Microsoft for removing my favorite Xbox 360 feature.
    The console itself had settings that worked across all games. One of them was inverted look.
    I never once had to go into options to set it in any game during the 360 generation. Then the One came out and they dropped it.

I never missed it on the Playstation side of things because as far as I am aware it never existed.
    But every time I get a new game on the Xbox I am reminded that I hate they lost their gamer focus.

Heck, every time I gotta do it on my PS4 I am reminded that I hate that Microsoft lost that edge they had. lol

Techni said:

November 21st, 4:18 pm

@Grawbad: I know how you feel. It was a feature I begged Sony to copy.

SubXZero_AQ said:

November 15th, 7:34 am

So Scuf vs Astro in early 2019?
Sound interesing!

Sarges24 said:

November 16th, 12:35 am

seeing that Logitech owns Astro now I’ll take the Scuf Vantage.

jiggastafarian said:

December 4th, 10:48 am

@sarges24

Enjoy replacing that scuf every 2 months. lol, I quit using them when they started to refuse to replace them after the 5th time. I went back to a normal controller and it hasn’t really bothered me except for when I play rocket league.

Teremai said:

November 15th, 7:50 am

Is the wireless transmitter required for PS4 or is that strictly to make it wireless for a PC?

Aron Drayer's Avatar

Aron Drayer said:

November 16th, 3:42 pm

To use the C40 wirelessly on either PC or PS4 you will need to use the USB Wireless Transmitter. This allows us to provide lower latency and higher bitrate audio over the wireless connection.

steadydecline said:

November 15th, 8:03 am

I would imagine it’s required for ps4.

Grindhead_Jim said:

November 15th, 8:22 am

Negative. The controller is wireless or wired for PC or PS4.

PS4 has supported data transmission for wired controllers (newer models) via a firmware update for nearly two years.

whereymyconary said:

November 15th, 7:58 am

HAHAHAHA someone realized it was really weird making a pro controller for the xbox… i mean ps4. Well glad someone else figured it out. looks good.

KwietStorm said:

November 15th, 8:18 am

I’m using offset sticks regardless, so call it what you want.

JayBizzle311 said:

November 15th, 1:13 pm

Regardless of what you think.. SONY had nothing to do with the design of the SCUF PS4 controller that recently came out within the last few months..

SCUF made it… and SONY licensed it.. exactly like this controller.. ASTRO made it and SONY licensed it.

So quit assuming SONY copied XBOX on the SCUF Vantage controller.. Sony had nothing to do with it.. It was a design choice chosen by the people at SCUF not SONY.

whereymyconary said:

November 16th, 3:25 pm

I didnt say anything about Sony. Just that the first pro controller for the PS4 happened to be an Xbox controller. And I found that ironic and quite hilarious. The follow up by a different company happens to be a PS4 controller which we’ll makes sense to me since the design is for a PS4 fan base. I get it people like both designs equally more pointing out the timing of things and the irony.

SpeedyCerviche23 said:

November 19th, 12:45 pm

Actually razor and some other company made “pro” controlers already. One is offset, the other is standard. Its for all those previous xbox owners who jumped to ps4. You should be laughing at xbox. My son prefers the offset, ive never been comfortable with it. I might pick this up depending on price point.

Moses333 said:

November 15th, 8:10 am

Is PS5 support guaranteed? If this is going to work for next-gen, tell us, and you will sell more.
Something like this is interesting to many of us, but this late into a console’s life-cycle $200 is a lot to ask for something that may be outdated in a ~1.5 years.

GOONMANSHIP said:

November 15th, 10:44 pm

Maybe. But you pay the same, if not much more for your phone that will be outdated within the same time frame.

Nyxo_315 said:

December 12th, 1:30 am

If it is ps5 comparable as well Astro would probably make big sales! I would definitely buy one in the Netherlands if it is ps5 comparable.

KwietStorm said:

November 15th, 8:17 am

Does this only have 2 rear buttons? That would be a deal breaker.

Aron Drayer's Avatar

Aron Drayer said:

November 16th, 3:42 pm

Yes, there are only two rear remappable buttons on the C40 TR.

AlexOlesh said:

November 15th, 8:26 am

L3 и R3 как у xbox. Это точно контроллер для PS4?)
купил бы два, если бы расположение было бы привычным.

AQuatina said:

November 15th, 9:09 am

How hard would it be to make chat possible without using the 3.5 jack bs. Just put a mic in the controller it’s literally the one thing I dislike about the ds4..

Dominik said:

November 15th, 12:41 pm

Not sure if I’m down to hear everyone’s button mashing load and clear.

Aadithya_Fifa said:

November 15th, 9:10 am

What is the cost?

NeoKurow said:

November 15th, 9:23 am

$200 for a controller that is a PS4 slim right there… $300 for a wireless headset… Astro is just like some Apple wanna be….

Lets hope that controller last at least 3 years. The actual quality of the dual shock controllers is so bad that shooter games destroy the shoulder buttons in just 3 or 4 months of daily use.

PS_Vince_ said:

November 15th, 7:47 pm

‘The actual quality of the dual shock controllers is so bad that shooter games destroy the shoulder buttons in just 3 or 4 months of daily use.’

Shhh… Sony knows about this and wants more of our $$$$

M0rd3r-n-kill said:

November 15th, 10:04 am

Only in USA ?

Aron Drayer's Avatar

Aron Drayer said:

November 16th, 3:43 pm

We are launching in the US and Canada and looking to South America next. You will have to watch our Twitter and Facebook pages for updates on future regions.

IISYNll said:

November 15th, 10:33 am

When will these companies finally ditch micro USB and go USB type C? From the looks of that controller that’s the biggest flaw I see, the rest looks great. I will never be a fan of the offset sticks like the xb has, so I was happy to see it has stick layout like the Playstation.

pinder2009 said:

November 15th, 11:13 am

>12 hour battery life

You got me interested with that.

GOD_OF_COD177 said:

November 15th, 11:25 am

How much?

Aron Drayer's Avatar

Aron Drayer said:

November 16th, 3:44 pm

The C40 TR Controller will launch at $199.99 USD in the US.

Gannoc said:

November 15th, 11:43 am

No front RGB spotlight-no sale. /s

Pack3rs0wn3rCB said:

November 15th, 11:51 am

200 bucks. LOL.

PS_Vince_ said:

November 15th, 7:44 pm

Exactly, it’s stupid

InTheZone said:

November 15th, 12:02 pm

If the triggers are push in like GameCube or nacon revolution this will be trash. Trigger stops are a poor design unless it actually allows to trigger to function as an off/on switch.

I do custom work on my own controllers, the original DS4 design is best compared to everything trying to do more. Add your own buttons to the rear and add ps3 style analog sticks, best controller setup right there.

nikrel said:

November 15th, 12:41 pm

Will this be compatible with ps5? that is my question; if yes then i’ll buy this in a heartbeat.

PS_Vince_ said:

November 15th, 7:44 pm

Most likely not.

delete134576432 said:

November 15th, 4:20 pm

If this is also nintendo switch compatible i’d buy instantly!

sam_fisher0007 said:

November 15th, 4:26 pm

This is the design I’m waiting from the next gen PS controller (Dualshock 5?). Swappable stick modules so that people can stop arguing which design is best (some people demand Xbox design), trigger stops, and most importantly, the rear buttons.

I believe that DS5 or whatever you’ll be calling it, should have rear buttons (L4,R4 or like these guys call UL,UR) because devs can fine tune their games and have more freedom to tackle new gameplay mechanics instead of streamlining their games to single buttons to interact with the games. Like for ex: R4 can be dedicated to a “run” button instead of clicking or holding L3 to run which is an ergonomic nightmare to pull through. Tl:dr It will give devs more ergonomy and freedom to design their games.

Other than that, the overall design looks perfect and well thought-out from every aspect, I think people who want a new controller should definitely buy this one. And Sony should take lessons from this design and make a similar one tailored for PS5.

Fingers crossed. :)

PS_Vince_ said:

November 15th, 7:42 pm

‘…for $199.99 ($269.99 CAD)’

Why don’t they ever think about the average consumer. Why not a lighter version of this for $50-$70? I would love a controller with joystick layouts like the xbox one controller for $50-$70 — not the same price as a console thats on sale!!

Heavyin said:

November 15th, 8:23 pm

200 dll, i can buy a console with that money , make cheaper controllers

ZephynM said:

November 15th, 11:51 pm

Three years after Xbox makes their Elite Controller, PlayStation finally makes their own. Sadly, it has only two buttons on the back instead of four [paddles] and costs $50 more. I can’t see myself paying $200 for a controller that looks less promising than the Xbox Elite Controller I have for my PC. PlayStation 4 games I play also don’t require anything that could possibly justify the few features this controller has over the default.

I hope the PlayStation fans/users enjoy it though. It looks good, just unfortunate with it’s timing and price compared to what Microsoft has offered me.

Aron Drayer's Avatar

Aron Drayer said:

November 16th, 3:48 pm

I understand your skepticism, I would recommend that you check out all the features of the C40 TR and the features that the software unlocks. A lot of the value is also designed in the durability and material quality. If and when you have the chance you should definitely hold an C40 TR and play with it before you make a final judgement.

AfroBunnies said:

November 19th, 4:45 pm

To be fair Astro is the fourth company (I know of) to build a PS Licensed “pro” controller. Razer and Nacon’s controllers have been available since 2016 and Scuf announced one earlier this year, so it isn’t exactly fair to say “PlayStation finally makes their own”. I do think this controller has a good chance at being the best licensed controller though.

XxTIGERTBOYxX said:

November 16th, 10:14 am

I wish Sony would have a headset audio controller that just plugs straight into it that was worth a darn. Astro makes them for Xbox.

nathanuc1988 said:

November 16th, 10:55 am

.. I just want a DS4 with paddles at a reasonable price.

SpeedyCerviche23 said:

November 19th, 12:52 pm

There is a paddle attachment being sold on amazon. Ive been eyeing it bacause i want paddles, but reluctant to drop 200 hundred(scuff) for basically 2 more buttons. Its 50 bucks, im reluctant to waste that just to try it.

Walterturco said:

November 17th, 6:34 am

What about europe??? plz do better than scuf( vantage)…

elliskillzz said:

November 17th, 12:33 pm

Hallo ich komme aus deutschland und will mir den Astro C40 TR kaufen fjnde jedoch keine seite wo ich diesen controler vorbestellen kann !

SHAGGY-D00 said:

November 19th, 10:02 am

does it have only two remapped padles or buttons on the back?

PHANTOMOFANUBIS said:

November 19th, 11:10 pm

Why have astro gone with micro usb it’s faulty and just plan awful. I’ve had no end of problems with it on controllers, phones, tablets and spent out on scuf cables cheap cables there all trash no matter the price. Go usb C plz.

asdfghhjkhjkl said:

November 20th, 7:38 pm

Me parece bueno el joystick pero que sea de forma tal cual de play.ya lo hacen como los de xbox xD

asdfghhjkhjkl said:

November 20th, 7:39 pm

Me parece bueno el joystick pero que sea de forma tal cual de play.ya lo hacen como los de xbox.

Old_Spidey_Man said:

November 22nd, 5:24 am

Will this be compatible/work with PS5 when it comes out

BigShowStudio said:

November 23rd, 11:38 am

I noticed that the controller’s configuration software is window based. I have a mac and will there be a mac version of it? If not will the configuration software be available in ps4?

XanderStrange said:

November 24th, 11:25 am

I would definitely get this if the controller had the 4 buttons/paddles on the back. Why does this NOT have this like the other “elite” controllers? The idea is to not have to move your thumbs off the sticks by being able to hit all the face buttons with the paddles in the back. If I can only hit 2 of those face buttons with the 2 back buttons, I am still going to have to move mu thumb of the stick anyway. To me, and I think many, that’s the main point! Ugh, I so want to like this as it looks great but I cant understand how this didn’t come up as an issue during the “2 years” of time put into it.

IR0N-Y4K said:

November 28th, 3:35 am

Will it be available in South Africa and if so which stores

GreatnessRD said:

December 2nd, 11:57 pm

Might have to look into it. Appears to to be solid.

GodsSon521 said:

December 5th, 2:11 pm

If this controller makes it so I can use it (wireless) on steam & have the Playstation buttons show up rather than XBox’s, I’m all for it.

E7m3g5 said:

December 5th, 11:49 pm

Is it sold to Asia? If there is that, it’s great. Hope

disc0biskdave said:

December 7th, 1:29 am

PS5 is being designed as we speak, this would be obsolete this time next year.
Has the developers been in talks with Sony? As it’s a lot of money to spend when I’m going to have to update all my controllers anyway.

longballburrell said:

December 8th, 5:49 pm

Look at that, they got the left analog stick in the correct location! Very nice.

God-Of-Lyf said:

December 10th, 11:27 pm

Preordered two and cant wait to put em to work. I hate xbox controllers but this is right up my alley and to the left…!

meltedwolf said:

December 14th, 7:19 am

then your gonna have 2 dongles and usb ports to spare! hope you dont need a headset plugged in or anything. i certainly do.

meltedwolf said:

December 14th, 7:17 am

another dongle?? i have a pro with vr plugged in the back usb, a headset and a hard drive plugged in the front. where the heck am i gonna plug this in now? theres not enough ports to support all thes dongles. it should come with a usb hub i guess. i hope the build an internal multi purpose dongle for ps5. i dont even see why you would need it with bluetooth capabilities, seems like a ps4 design flaw.