PlayStation VR

Nov 15

Nov 15

Celebrate the Fifth Anniversary of PlayStation 4

Feast your eyes on some interesting PS4 stats and a brand-new Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 PS4 bundle.

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by Senior Vice President, PlayStation Worldwide Marketing, SIE

It’s hard to believe it’s already been five years since the launch of PlayStation 4. In that time, we’ve sold more than 86.1 Million hardware units, in addition to over 777.9 Million software units worldwide. We are so grateful to all the fans who have helped us come this far — it truly is an amazing time to be a part of the PlayStation family, and we thank you for your continued support.

Here are a few highlights of some unique PS4 stats, including what games you all have played the most and what DualShock 4 color is the most popular after the standard black (hint: it’s a color we love at PlayStation). Check out the infographic below.

To celebrate this occasion, we are also revealing a new PS4 bundle to add to our lineup, the Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 PS4 bundle.

If you haven’t already, now is the perfect time to join the PS4 community and experience the latest multiplayer first-person shooter that features gritty, grounded, fluid Multiplayer combat, the biggest Zombies offering ever with three full undead adventures, and Blackout, where the universe of Black Ops comes to life in one massive battle royale experience. Not to mention, PS4 players can look forward to unlocking content in advance of anyone else*.
This bundle is available November 27 at participating retailers nationwide for $299.99 MSRP (USD) / $379.99 MSRP (CAN), and includes a jet-black 1TB PS4 system, a matching DualShock 4 wireless controller, and Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 on Blu-ray Disc.

This year has seen some of the best content ever on the platform, with God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, and Red Dead Redemption 2. There’s so much more still to come, including Days Gone, Death Stranding, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima, and The Last of Us II!

Once again, I’d like to thank all of our incredible fans, whose passion inspires us every day to make PS4 the best place to play. We look forward to welcoming all those who will be joining the PS4 community this holiday and beyond.

What are some of your favorite PlayStation 4 experiences or memories from the past five years? Share in the comments below!

*New playable content, when available, will launch on PS4 7 days prior to launch on other platforms. Content may be sold separately.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

GhostMaree said:

November 15th, 6:05 am

UnbowedGod said:

November 15th, 6:08 am

Biowolves said:

November 15th, 6:26 am

From what i can see in the picture, it looks like a PS4 Slim.

For retailers, i don’t think Sony has much of a say. It’s most likely the retailers themselves who order them. You could try asking your local retailer, to order one or more home.

mightymac50000 said:

November 19th, 10:14 am

It’s a PS4 Slim, according to the picture.

Throwsfeces said:

November 15th, 6:08 am

So many games!

UnbowedGod said:

November 15th, 6:08 am

Is it a regular PS4 or a PS4 Pro, Also what retailers will offer it and will it be announced through the email

OysterPrime said:

November 15th, 6:12 am

Sounds like a regular PS4 to me. The Pro/RDR2 bundle is $399, and this is $100 less than that.

Suspect209187 said:

November 15th, 8:03 am

It’s a PS4 slim, not a pro or original.

TomHoang said:

November 15th, 6:09 am

“There’s so much more still to come, including Days Gone, Death Stranding, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima, and The Last of Us II!”

So pumped for all of them!

MechaSheeva said:

November 15th, 6:10 am

The rarest PS4 model should be the 20th Anniversary model, only 1/4 as many as the 500 Million model were made.

spiderlegend said:

November 15th, 7:20 am

Definitely the 20th is the rarest

StingrayX said:

November 15th, 6:26 am

Awesome to be part of the PlayStation family since the PS1. I always stuck with 1 console, that will never change. :)

Chaoz said:

November 15th, 6:29 am

My favorite memories in the past 5 years as it relates to PS4:
Unboxing the console and playing Killzone Shadowfall first

Completing Crotas End Raid with the Punch Brothers

Raiding with Justin

Getting the platinum in Last of Us Remaster

PSX 2015

Meeting Justin and Sid

Playing RIGS on PSVR at PSX

Uncharted 4 ending

Unboxing my own VR

Horizon Zero Dawn late nights

God of War (house reveal and post credits)

Spider-Man ending

I know I am missing a bunch of stuff here and I could go on and on. What an amazing generation so far from Playstation with so much still to come. Thank you to the entire Playstation team and congratulations on the success of the PS4.

fadhlifelix2188 said:

November 15th, 6:30 am

Here a thing. Why is the content in Asia PSN store is terribly sucks. For example, fallout 76 is not available in asia psn store while in US they already have that. Furthermore, the games line up in asia is pathetic.

SephTiger said:

November 15th, 6:41 am

Sure, I’ll celebrate when you guys stop censoring Japanese games published on PlayStation platforms and apologize to the developers whose games you forced censorship upon. It’s real easy, just don’t censor anything.

BasicWolf said:

November 15th, 7:29 am

Sorry Sony but I’m not celebrating a hypocrite console that censors Japanese games only. You are even forcing Japan region games to be censored. Hundreds of players are respectfully leaving playstation for PC because you chose to hurt the Japanese developers. So far there are more than 11,000 signatures against your new policy affecting games like Senran Kagura, Nekopara, and other major Japanese fan service titles. One of these players leaving is me but that’s not all I would do. I’ll be buying Spyro on Xbox unless it comes to PC which I am full support of. Even Nintendo has become more bold when it comes to fan service content so with all due respect Sayonara!

DarkShadowFire said:

November 15th, 9:24 am

You can thank liberals for sony’s censorship. Always complaining about graphic content and such.

AloisManas said:

November 15th, 2:51 pm

Sony needs to stop censoring games. If they don’t, I won’t be getting a PS5.

NoizMaker44 said:

November 15th, 6:45 am

I was so glad to receive a PS4 for my birthday, it’s still the best gift ever. I’ve made so many friends and met my boyfriend through Destiny. I hope to own more games and make more memories!

D4rk_Kn1ght_1971 said:

November 15th, 6:45 am

Who’s gonna buy this Black Ops 4 bundle 299.99 when the Spider Man bundle with the same console will be 199.99?

Amans91 said:

November 15th, 6:53 am

Wouldn’t the 20th Anniversary PS4 be rarer than the 500 Million PS4 Pro since there were less of them made?

berianco said:

November 15th, 10:40 am

No, actually the 25th anniversary PS4 is not rarer than the 500 million.

Johnny-Estrada said:

November 15th, 2:27 pm

Yeah the 500 million is more rarer plus more better looking!!!

mimikuerri13 said:

November 15th, 6:54 am

pretty sure mafia 3 can be on that list because it was free lol

luisyed said:

November 15th, 7:03 am

The best of the PS4 is the variety of its games catalogue. They go from triple A games to unique Japanese games. Keep doing that Playstation!

COOLGEEK89 said:

November 15th, 7:18 am

It is also my 29th birthday! Happy birthday PS4

THE_ENDGAME_BOSS said:

November 15th, 7:37 am

Sony seriously needs to release more “special edition” consoles….Also the 500 Million Edition console release was handled extremely poorly…

Where’s the 20th Anniversary PS4 Pro? Why release something that your main playerbase don’t even get to purchase?

berianco said:

November 15th, 10:38 am

You should have tried harder I guess

FeistFan said:

November 15th, 7:55 am

Wish you were producing more PS4 Pros, and bringing their price down a bit. Seems like you’re simply not making many Pros – they’re hard to find and expensive.

SUPERNINTENDOsnk said:

November 15th, 7:59 am

Maybe for your 5th anniversary you could stop censoring games.

PS_Vince_ said:

November 15th, 8:00 am

Still no PS4 Pro sale? WHY!!!

StereoBeatbox said:

November 15th, 8:01 am

So many memories these 5 years! So excited for what’s coming next!
Highlights:
Unboxing my brand new PS4!
Playing Drive Club for the first time!
Completing Uncharted 4!
The story of Horizon Zero Dawn!
Haters gonna hate but, playing 100+ hours of Mass Effect Andromeda!
Completing Marvel’s Spiderman!
Playing God of War for the first time!
100+ hours in Witcher 3!
Can’t even count the hours of Fallout 4!
Seeing the graphics or Gran Turismo Sport!
And don’t get me started about Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Nioh…

Thank you Sony and thank you PlayStation!

TSG194 said:

November 15th, 8:05 am

6.00 wasn’t major firmware nothing was added that users could use. Sony it was a troll beta while the important beta 6.10 came out later. I didn’t get beta access I’m salty about that

Zeitgeist_Pulse said:

November 15th, 8:05 am

Loving the number 5 ;)

Tacoloft said:

November 15th, 8:14 am

I’m still using my launch edition PS4. Between the sweeping score of Skyrim and the amazing visuals of God of War the console has been amazing…like the Spiderman game.

cowboys2000 said:

November 15th, 1:08 pm

Same here, with upgraded storage though

alejandro0582 said:

November 15th, 8:25 am

Last year I had my PlayStation 4 for christmas and I love it so much

alejandro0582 said:

November 15th, 8:26 am

Last year I had my PlayStation 4 for christmas and I loved it so much that I still have it

OgnarPliskin said:

November 15th, 8:51 am

PlayStation 4 had a rough first few years. Bloodborne was the reason I bought the system, but I had trouble finding any other games I wanted to play. Once 2017 hit, however, releases started coming out left and right. It went from a system with an incredibly slow start to suddenly offering one of the greatest libraries of all time. Yakuza, NieR, Nioh, Persona, God of War, Spider-Man and more helped make the PS4 what it is today!

RiotJavelinDX said:

November 15th, 9:11 am

Still bitter about the 500 Million PS4

DarkShadowFire said:

November 15th, 9:22 am

Its sad to see that CoD one of the worst FPS games in the world is top selling. All of them are just reskins with hit boxes and crappy game machanics. Why they bother putting snipers into a game that isn’t made to snipe in is beyond me.

albineck said:

November 15th, 9:22 am

I have always been, am and will be a PlayStation player at heart and I will always support you. Your consoles and games are the best and I’m greatly glad to know that the brand is more alive than ever.

Thank you, PlayStation, for make me so happy.

Congratulations, PlayStation 4!

omegazio said:

November 15th, 9:56 am

Happy 5th Anniversary PS4 keep on bringing Amazing games!

steeler192 said:

November 15th, 9:58 am

6.00 a major update? We were majorly trolled if that’s what you mean!

pinder2009 said:

November 15th, 11:11 am

Surprised there wasn’t already a BlOps 4 bundle when the game released. A bit over a month later how many people would need this bundle? How about announcing the KH3 PS4 Pro bundle for a NA release instead?

Also gotta give a shout out to the mods on the blog. Almost ever comment I make is critical of Sony but they let me comments through anyway.

AsXceofallTrades said:

November 15th, 11:22 am

Happy Birthday PS4 ^^!

yousneakymonkey said:

November 15th, 12:59 pm

I haven’t owned a PS4 for the entirety of the last 5 years, but picked one up about 2-3 years ago. My favorite memory is connecting with all my friends that live both near and far, especially as I’ve gotten older. Thanks, PlayStation, for the platform that keeps me connected!

cowboys2000 said:

November 15th, 1:09 pm

Same here, with upgraded storage though

FacuYTxd said:

November 15th, 3:16 pm

Please Sony, make the Online free on the PlayStation 4 as previously on the PS3. Many, and I dare to say the great majority, want this to be so. If possible, also not be so resentful to Microsoft and that more games like Minecraft, Rocket League and the new Call Of Duty: Black ops IIII have access to have the experience of the game crossed with Xbox One and Nintendo Switch as you did in Fortnite.

justfortheshow2 said:

November 15th, 6:37 pm

I switched over to PlayStation to play MLB The Show (hence my gamer tag) and it was the best decision I’ve ever made!!!

colef10 said:

November 15th, 8:02 pm

I’ll never forget the excitement and anticipation leading up to this date 5 years ago. I was even first in line at my Gamestop freezing my butt off. It was the first time I got a console at launch and the memories from the reveal, to E3, to the first time I held a Dualshock 4 will never leave me. Of course I can’t forget when they handed it to me and I got to the parking lot and ran to my car. To this day I sometimes still stare at the cardboard box and reminisce about my first time opening it. I can’t believe it has already been 5 years. Typing all this sounds incredibly overdramatic but man I really geeked out for this thing. I have had every playstation console and handheld but the PS4 is and may forever be my favorite. This was the generation I really fell in love with the whole community and everything that surrounds the games. I’m gonna end this post by listing my 10 favorite games so far from PS4. Resogun, Infamous SS&First Light, The Last of Us (never got to play it on PS3 because every penny I had went towards my PS4), Velocity 2X, Destiny1, Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy, Black Ops 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Red Dead 2. One more thing, HORIZON ZERO DAWN IS THE BEST GAME ON PS4!!!

Babylon_ said:

November 15th, 11:22 pm

PS4 20th anniversary is the rarest PS4. Eric’s image is misleading that the 500 mil PS4 is rarer. Sid Shuman even confirmed that the 20th anniversary will be the rarest PS4 ever made durinf it’s unboxing.

We’re talking 12,300 units 20th ps4 vs 50,000 units 500mil ps4

COLTRANE_718 said:

November 15th, 11:46 pm

Team PlayStation for life.

not_Eyaad298 said:

November 16th, 2:22 am

I Lovvvve PlayStation since ps1 I love you make more and have fun!!!

yahyashokri24 said:

November 16th, 3:21 am

I’m a young fan of play station…I have been a fan since PS2 though :) my favorite memories of the last 2 years(since i bought PS4) are when I finished Uncharted 4…last of us… And now I finished RDR2… I know these are not alot of games. But I live in iran and the games are really expensive to our money (rial) and I didn’t get to play alot of games. But i looooved these few games I played. I love PS4:)

Mr_Tall_Guy_99 said:

November 16th, 5:19 am

If it’s 5th year anniversary of ps4 means then give it free for who dosn’t have it …

Because i also did n’t buy it

Mr_Low_Key said:

November 16th, 6:01 am

All that money and you still force us to pay to play online and unjustifiably hiked PS+ to $70 (cad)… Yaaayyy the cost of gaming is soaring for absolutely no reason! Woo hoo! Gimme a break. Your welcome.

lildwilliams07-l said:

November 16th, 7:19 am

I got a ps4 and I love it. The ps4 makers are good electricians. Lets make the ps4 6 years of service!

DaniloSouza84 said:

November 16th, 9:51 am

The only gift you could give me now is to stop this stupid policy of censoring Japanese games, or I’ll think twice about buying the next generation Playstation.

cowmamba said:

November 16th, 11:48 am

I would think the 20th anniversary PS4 is the rarest. You can actually buy the 500 Million edition in stores. – Stinks some of those high marked games are COD. I wish they were PS4 exclusive titles. Oh well, we all know what we like! :D

walkerman84 said:

November 16th, 4:11 pm

Favorite moments would include playing the last of us, resident evil 7 and God of war. Also, the reveal of the last of us 2 was a great moment. VR for Resident evil was amazing. Quality games are where it’s at.

paulogy said: