PS4-Infamous

CES Day 1: LittleBigConvention

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jan 07, 2008 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Greetings from Las Vegas! Today is the first full day of the Consumer Electronics Show – and if you’ve never attended (this is my first), let me just tell you – this thing is huge. CES reminds me of a Tech-themed Louvre; you can walk for an hour non-stop and never see the same thing twice.

Even with so much to see and try out, I knew exactly where I wanted to go straightaway – the LittleBigPlanet demo in the hugetastic Sony pavilion. In the video below, Kyle Shubel walks us through some new “Create” functions of the game. You may wanna pay special attention to an off-hand remark he makes towards the end of the video.

Watching Kyle build a tree from a few simple building blocks was really inspiring, and I know that once you gamers get your hands on the full game, we’re going to see things even the designers never envisioned. Oh, and this made-for-internet video really doesn’t come close to doing the game’s visuals true justice, keep that in mind.

I’ll be checking in during the week, finding out all I can for you (thanks again for those of you who contributed to the wish list). Stay tuned to our Flickr site for updated photos, and our Crackle page where we’re sharing video with all of Sony Electronics. Here we’ll be posting videos from the various presentations and other goings on from Sony Central.

94 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ Ghostm on January 7th, 2008 at 2:40 pm said:

Very cool. This game is highly anticipate. To bad we have to wait all the way until September.

+ StalkingSilence on January 7th, 2008 at 2:41 pm said:

Scrolling thru video… does he mention release date? Eurogamer says source mentions September 08

+ StalkingSilence on January 7th, 2008 at 2:43 pm said:

Public Beta in Summer leading to Fall Release (September?)

+ brambler on January 7th, 2008 at 2:45 pm said:

Looks good! Wouldn’t be surprised if it gets pushed back to November 08.

+ Ghostm on January 7th, 2008 at 2:47 pm said:

anticipated*

+ Stoffinator on January 7th, 2008 at 2:50 pm said:

Can’t wait for the public beta.

+ Enedok on January 7th, 2008 at 2:52 pm said:

Public beta Yay!
Is that you Jeff?

+ OrganicShadow on January 7th, 2008 at 2:53 pm said:

Hopefully a public beta isn’t too far off. I never get into betas though…. :(

I like how seamless the creation process is. You rarely see menus or anything, that just complicates things. You can rotate, flip, copy, cut, etc. all with simple button presses. EASY!

I think at this point their biggest challenge is going to be finding the limitations of the PS3′s resources with the game engine, and making sure that it isn’t too easy for people to freeze their PS3 by going berserk with copy>pasting.

+ Nicholas on January 7th, 2008 at 2:54 pm said:

Wow great vid, keep’em coming :D

+ Nebo on January 7th, 2008 at 2:54 pm said:

Awesome! This is one of my most anticipated games of this year and a public demo would be freakin’ killer!

+ Nebo on January 7th, 2008 at 2:57 pm said:

@ OrganicShadow

I wonder if they can just put a little timer that stops you from overloading the PS3 based on how complicated the thing you are duplicating. Like the smaller the object, the less time it takes to duplicate it.

+ DankandSticky on January 7th, 2008 at 3:00 pm said:

Public beta…how do you get involved in anything like this??????

+ scorpio on January 7th, 2008 at 3:02 pm said:

Thanks for the update and video. I am really interested in this game and the sharing aspect is really awesome…

+ darkiewonder on January 7th, 2008 at 3:02 pm said:

Can you guys confirm that you can FREELY move the sackboys[girls] up and down and not just side to side?

+ ftwrthtx on January 7th, 2008 at 3:03 pm said:

Thnks for the info. Please keep posting!

+ brentos on January 7th, 2008 at 3:09 pm said:

Off-topic…

What happened to the threespeech links on the right side of this website? They used to be there and now they’re gone! What’s the deal?

+ Draicus on January 7th, 2008 at 3:11 pm said:

That’s and awesome video. It really shows how easy it will be for the players to express their creativity.

Can’t wait for the game, and with any luck I’ll nab a beta slot. :-)

+ p-s-3 on January 7th, 2008 at 3:15 pm said:

Oh dear!!! ;) I can see me spending days/weeks! ;-D on LittleBigPlanet!!!
;-P Always wanted to make a game level, but haven’t a clue about all that coding stuff they do! ;-D But soon(please this year sony)i can make my own levels/game!!!
;-P

+ Neil on January 7th, 2008 at 3:20 pm said:

Amazing!

+ chase on January 7th, 2008 at 3:22 pm said:

nice

+ Clover09 on January 7th, 2008 at 3:25 pm said:

Hmmm, public beta later this year? I’ll be anticipating that, lol.

+ coolguy30 on January 7th, 2008 at 3:31 pm said:

pretty sweet!! thanks for keeping us in the know!

+ cmargary on January 7th, 2008 at 3:34 pm said:

it’s cool the skype but you can use the normal instant messenger too? please respond because I will use it to call landline phones (but I have money in the skype account anyway)

+ King Cook909 on January 7th, 2008 at 3:34 pm said:

alsome!

+ eksMAN on January 7th, 2008 at 3:38 pm said:

Awesome! cant wait till little big planet is available!

+ Makasu on January 7th, 2008 at 3:41 pm said:

oooo cant wait. public beta when? :)

+ jared on January 7th, 2008 at 3:43 pm said:

Are the objects and textures procedural? If so, that would probably ease up on system resources when copy/pasting.

Can’t wait for this game. I’m gonna have to take a lot of time off of work.

+ Loucetios on January 7th, 2008 at 3:51 pm said:

LBL public beta? *just dies of nerdgasms*

+ Karamo on January 7th, 2008 at 3:54 pm said:

this is great, think of the possibilities of little big planet, sony you need to market the hell out of that. Also do the same with MGS4 make that game sell 5 to 8 millions copies

+ ajay_2606 on January 7th, 2008 at 3:55 pm said:

Nice, can’t wait for the beta, hope its soon!!!

+ mustaphadamus on January 7th, 2008 at 3:55 pm said:

Thats whats up! Great job Sony!

+ tirminyl on January 7th, 2008 at 4:08 pm said:

My life will be over as you know it once this game is released. I’ve got two good levels mapped out already and I don’t even know what I can do in the game.

BTW, is that you Jeff?

+ Rux on January 7th, 2008 at 4:08 pm said:

Amazing. This may be the greatest game… making MGS4 the second best… but I’m really looking forward to it ^.^

+ TwoBlack4America on January 7th, 2008 at 4:28 pm said:

This game is going to be incredible

+ KatanaKing on January 7th, 2008 at 4:31 pm said:

its just taking too long to come out, it should have been here by now…the WOW factor is just wearing out……why oh why do they anounce these things so soon, i know its to sell consoles but it just looks so ‘ boring’…..for people without an actual life…alot like HOME>

+ Darkendless on January 7th, 2008 at 4:42 pm said:

Is LBP really going to be that limited? I mean, can you even do things like set up doors, use of keys, treasure chests, items?

+ nmc75 on January 7th, 2008 at 4:57 pm said:

We want this… like, now. :)

+ CLauX on January 7th, 2008 at 4:58 pm said:

honestly, the only people that hate this game either have no creativity or just plain don’t like fun ;)

(that mean’s it’s awesome)

+ Darkdrium777 on January 7th, 2008 at 5:05 pm said:

I agree with CLauX. I really can’t wait for this! Hopefully we will all be able to play the demo (Hopefully it’s a beta demo, and not a closed beta, don’t make that mistake again Sony)

+ DevonTheDude on January 7th, 2008 at 5:13 pm said:

No info on Home Sony, whats goin on with that. I am so down with that public beta on LBP

+ Frazz on January 7th, 2008 at 5:33 pm said:

BEYOND!!!!!!!!!!!

+ jimmyhoffa82 on January 7th, 2008 at 5:37 pm said:

so whats he talk in about at the end about sharing in LA and if its popular it will expand?

+ ps3mods.blogspot.com on January 7th, 2008 at 5:38 pm said:

Can’t wait for the Beta!

+ tagout on January 7th, 2008 at 5:43 pm said:

WOW, NIIICEE

+ cmargary on January 7th, 2008 at 5:47 pm said:

PSP-PS3 owners check this link

+ Captain Fury on January 7th, 2008 at 5:58 pm said:

hey Jeff, are you the other guy?

+ tagout on January 7th, 2008 at 5:58 pm said:

OFF-TOPIC~ Does Microsoft have the rights to use Blu-Ray for let’s say XBOX 720?

+ Mort on January 7th, 2008 at 6:08 pm said:

I can hardly wait for this game to come out. Luckily there are plenty of good games coming over the next 8 months to keep me occupied.

I do wonder how easy it is going to be to find everything you need to create these levels. It looks simple enough in the hands of someone who is well practiced (and knows in advance what they are going to do), but there are a lot of things in those pop-up menus. I suspect that a lot of the delay has gone into streamlining this process.

A couple of things to note; Sony is holding a PS3 event tomorrow at CES, so expect some cool things to come from that: http://www.sony.com/ces/index.html?XID=O:hero:sonydotcom&ref=http%3A//www.sony.com/index.php

Also, GDC is not that far away (next month), so hopefully we will get some more detail on Home and LPB there.

+ THATPSPGUY on January 7th, 2008 at 6:23 pm said:

Thanks so far Jeff, I hope you get some vids of HOME tomorrow. I hope they release it tomorrow, the beta I mean.

So when you were talking to the guy about Skype for psp, when he mentioned the headset package, it almost sounded like he was reffering to bluetooth. that a special headset package would be available. It’s nice to see the socom headset still works.

Make sure you get a video of home and lots of pics. Can’t have the ” This Is Living” slogan if we got nowhere to live in? Can ya?

So please continue on with your great coverage. I know you must be tired, but d ya have any more videos to upload?

PAGE 1 2