Paragon

Aug 29

Aug 29

Life with PlayStation is on its way

Noam Rimon's Avatar Posted by Sr. Development Manager SCEA R&D

I’ve got some good news and some okay news. We’ll start with the okay part. We’re still pushing some paperwork on Life with PlayStation — so hold tight just a bit longer. Now on to the good news, the Life with PlayStation application is looking great and to quench some of the curiosity around what it’s all about, here’s what I can share today.

We’re going to offer this as a free service that will be easily accessible directly from the XMB. Life with PlayStation will feed live content to your PS3 with updates on news and weather on a visually stunning and interactive global map. Imagine being able to wake up to your PS3 to see if you need to pack an umbrella for the day. Or just relax as you listen to your favorite tunes while reading up on top news from around the world.

We’re also very excited to share that Life with PlayStation will be combined with our Folding@home project. What does this mean? While you’re tuned into Life with PlayStation, you’ll also be helping Stanford researchers cure diseases like Alzheimer’s and various types of cancer while Folding@home is running in the background.

We know you’re eager to check it out for yourself, so we’re working hard to get it in your hands. Stay tuned.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 5

ital_dj said:

August 29th, 1:40 pm

That sounds great! I can’t wait!

Masterofallz said:

August 29th, 1:42 pm

Are you sure you guys wont delay it….AGAIN?
So whens the release date?

theownerz said:

August 29th, 1:42 pm

omg theres hope for home yet they have answered us finallly thanks guys

slipping_halo said:

August 29th, 1:42 pm

Awsome ive been waiting for some info on this, any ball park guess on the release please???? Thanks Sony!!!

Nukes said:

August 29th, 1:42 pm

wow lol, I see you guys dont even give a rough estimate on the date which means that it could be another full month, I guess I dont blame you tho you guys fail at every single date you set, might as well stop giving them.

GoD_Boom4u said:

August 29th, 1:42 pm

HOME ? HOME ? HOME ?

kingv84 said:

August 29th, 1:42 pm

thanks for the heads up! Hope the wait is not too long. Thanks.

lifeRPGs said:

August 29th, 1:43 pm

One question on Life with Playstation: Is there Radio (just like PSP) ?

001 said:

August 29th, 1:44 pm

When’s it coming out? Please don’t say sometime in(insert month here). It sounds really good and the folding @ home intergration is great. I really want a date though.

amante said:

August 29th, 1:46 pm

Thinking about the process in which applications and software are released, I suppose the delay makes sense.

I’m far from an expert in any of it but I imagine the content that is fed into our living rooms or gaming caves or what have you has to have some sort of contract or licensing behind it. There may be certain protocol that needs to be followed to get this information to us that may have been looked over. Granted, for a company to completely lose sight of this is a bit odd but realizing that this is the first thing like this Sony has put out, there is a chance there is a miscommunication in what really needs to happen to get this rolling. Plus, depending on who needs to be dealt with, it may be taking others longer than Sony had expected. The delay sucks of course, but I think if it’s thought through, some sense can really be made of the delay.

I’m glad there is an update though. And please, like I said, I’m no expert so don’t flame me. I’m just putting out my thoughts on the subject.

I do expect this to incite loads of angry people upset about us being told a release and how they just delay and blah blah, but why don’t we use the PS3 or what it’s made for right now, huh?

tezasaurus said:

August 29th, 1:46 pm

Appreciate the update! Many thanks- is there any chance that we can input our own RSS feeds into the news section so we can use our PS3 to stay up to date with our favorite sites?

Masterofallz said:

August 29th, 1:47 pm

Also, PLEASE BAN THE OFF TOPIC USERS. ITS GETTING SOOO ANNOYING!

SnoopYTimes said:

August 29th, 1:48 pm

Sweets.
Can’t wait for this FREE new feature.
Sony keeps delivering!

leafs_fan said:

August 29th, 1:49 pm

So this will be via a firmware update?

crazypenguin said:

August 29th, 1:49 pm

:D now lets just get it soon! it better not be delayed beyond september, and btw, we love people who respond to comments on posts!

jonabbey said:

August 29th, 1:49 pm

Thanks for the update. Very much appreciate you taking the time to keep your fans/customers in the loop.

Neil said:

August 29th, 1:50 pm

That’s cool that you combined Folding@Home with Life with Playstation. Now just combine it with The Last Guy on Life! ;)

shahchip said:

August 29th, 1:50 pm

Oh its delayed… Again…

goarmy1764 said:

August 29th, 1:51 pm

great! we get news on something…… so hows home going?

Prezhulio said:

August 29th, 1:51 pm

sounds awesome guys, just try not to make date promises that you can’t keep, everyone won’t give you as much crap for not making a release date!

scorpio said:

August 29th, 1:52 pm

Looking forward to it and good idea making folding@home run in the background.

desithrilla93 said:

August 29th, 1:53 pm

it sounds AWESOME
cantt waitt!

EvoAnubis said:

August 29th, 1:55 pm

Finally; an update! Thanks for the heads-up; it was annoying to have no news on this feature.

All sounds good. Can’t wait; this’ll be VERY useful to me for a number of reasons. The sooner, the better!

Silly Hat said:

August 29th, 1:56 pm

Oh boo hoo, a PS3 news and weather channel isnt out yet. Its not liek we cant check teh weather or news anywhere else..

I think its cool too but be serious..
And why would some of you ask them abotu Home when this blog ISNT about home? That’s like asking when is killzone 2 goign to launch to Capcom.. It doesn’t make sense. Just be happy Sony updated info on it.

Whether it comes across liek this or not Sony, we are grateful, its just people love to whine.

pattypatpatster said:

August 29th, 1:58 pm

#16

agreed :)

4n4rchy said:

August 29th, 1:58 pm

hmm the folding@home part is generous, sure, but shouldn’t be mandatory.

Scott3D said:

August 29th, 1:59 pm

I think these delays are hilarious, this one especially.

“I am happy to announce that Life with Playstation will be available in a couple weeks at the end of July”

“Oops sorry, err end of August”

“Whoops, uhh its coming soon.”

isolatebody said:

August 29th, 2:00 pm

It got delayed………..big surprise. LWP is going to join the Home, bigfoot and Lochness club. You hear and read about but never see it in real life.

DarKaoZ said:

August 29th, 2:00 pm

Great to hear about Life with Playstation, but shouldn’t you guy just announce it when is ready to go to the public instead of promising? Sony has the bad luck of having some issues before the product is release, why take a risk and make some costumers unhappy when you can announce it when it’s actually ready to be release.

Anyways, Hopefully it will be out “soon”, now… can you guy talk about US Home Beta Expansion so we can stop hearing those rumors that people are making?

C-h-a-o-s said:

August 29th, 2:00 pm

Nice, but i’m wondering why there’s no post about Home? I think people are interested in that just a little bit more than the news.

Morgus said:

August 29th, 2:01 pm

Will users be able to customize the news feeds??? Like tech, games news, political, or entertainment feeds? Or will it come from some garbage news service like CNN or the AP?

Ryuuzaki said:

August 29th, 2:01 pm

Sounds kinda like Mainichi Issyo (which is available from the Japanese side of the PSN). Any chance we here in the US could finally get some kind of official release with Toro and Kuro, maybe they could just make guest appearances in “Life with PlayStation”. Either way this looks to be an awesome addition to the PS3.

matheaks said:

August 29th, 2:02 pm

This sounds AMAZING!! I can’t wait to get it! Another reason why the PS3 is the best console!!

I love you, Sony (yes im a geek)
Thanks Noam

Ajora said:

August 29th, 2:03 pm

If somebody doesn’t want to use LwPS than don’t! Don’t whine about how you don’t like it or how it’s useless.
We are all excited about Home but that’s no reason to post about it everywhere, including topics that have nothing to do with Home.

Other than that, great job Noam folks @ SCEA R&D. I am looking forward to this.

mrfantastic360 said:

August 29th, 2:07 pm

delaystation

kurtkbee said:

August 29th, 2:08 pm

This is great news.

Can you let us know if we are going to be
getting an improved browser and Adobe flash player (v9 or greater) to replace the main lacking feature anytime soon ?

I would also love to see Skype (with video support) make it to the PS3 one day.

And just to reiterate my issue with the Movie service.
I would like to say that while I have been using the PSN movie download service I find that it is lacking a few key features that are needed to make it a more complete service.

1) Ratings
The ability for people who have watched the movie to rate a movie (out of 5?)

2) Popularity
The ability to filter “within” genera for the popularity (i.e. the number of downloads of movies)

3) Previews of movies before downloading
At the moment only very few previews exist for the rather small library of movies posted on PSN

4) Free stuff
A section for free movie downloads (small indy or short films) as this would entice people to use the store

5) 3rd party rating/info Database
Integration with a movie review site (like rottentomotoes.com) to immediately see if a movie got good reviews before i download (could be in the movie details/info section)

6) Movie metadata info !
“Every” film should have info/details about the movie (genera,year,actor,synopsis).

7) More movies
new and old….I mean really old !!! The library is too small atm.

The service seems like it was rushed to market.

crystalx3d said:

August 29th, 2:09 pm

Is the folding@home integration the reason for the delay or is it something else? This is the first I’ve heard about the folding part of LWP. Also, could we get some more info about the sources of the content? Like:
Who is providing the news articles?
Who is providing the weather info?
Also, since you guys have this partnership thing going with Google, is there any chance we’ll be able to get google earth-like functionality in Life With Playstation? (mainly just the ability to zoom in on google’s hi-res satalite imagery)

EvoAnubis said:

August 29th, 2:10 pm

There’s no post about Home for the same reason they didn’t talk about it at GC. Namely, there’s nothing new to discuss. Everything relevant about Home has already been said, except for a release date, and they’re not ready to commit to a date yet. Until then, there’s nothing to say.

NiavlysUS said:

August 29th, 2:11 pm

I like the idea of getting weather info from my PS3 but I’m not much of a News reader…

Do you know if there will be game related News?

SpeedRacer1955 said:

August 29th, 2:13 pm

Thanks for the update. And it sounds like a pencil pusher for the other team failed to do something and now the legal departments are falling all over themselves to get this “fixed??”.

Also will there be a way to disable the F@H portion since there are some that may not want to have their PS3 heated to the point of excess electrical usage since power company in my area is going to charge more for those electronic power cubes it takes to feed my PS3…

crystalx3d said:

August 29th, 2:13 pm

@37
There is no adobe flash v9 SDK, so this will not happen any time soon. Stop asking about it.

mobiletone said:

August 29th, 2:14 pm

but.. cancer is good :)

Money1 said:

August 29th, 2:14 pm

everyone just chill, life is coming so stop the whining, it’ll be here, dont expect anything and you wont be let down, quit hyping yourself up…and quit losing faith in sony….thank you that is all lol

PS fanboy said:

August 29th, 2:16 pm

i dont wanna be rude but with so much softwares and other stuff being delayed by sony, playstation should be called “DELAYSTATION”

peace

Stallone said:

August 29th, 2:17 pm

The folding@home app in background is sheer brilliance.

Engine said:

August 29th, 2:17 pm

Well Thank You for the update. It is unfortunate to see that this is being delayed for a second time. It is starting to sound like Home. Hopefully our wait and patience will be rewarded.

skaterricky said:

August 29th, 2:18 pm

Best News I heard all day :)

Skater_Ricky, 8)

KingOfHearts said:

August 29th, 2:19 pm

Cool, but I have still have a few questions.

1.) any idea when this will be ready?
2.) Does this mean that Folding@home will also be updated?

EvoAnubis said:

August 29th, 2:22 pm

People whine too much about delays.

Alan Wake
Halo Wars
Splinter Cell
Spring Update
Burnout update…..twice
Huxley

Ringing any bells?

TheInfectedBy590 said:

August 29th, 2:23 pm

It’s good to at least hear from you guys, hope it’s released soon!
Any word on the Home BETA invites?

PAGE 1 2 3 5