PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Uncharted 2 to Include Multiplayer, Beta Starts June 3rd

Evan Wells's Avatar + Posted by Evan Wells on Apr 27, 2009 // Co-President, Naughty Dog

Uncharted 2 Multiplayer

So the rumors are true and we can finally talk about it! As you’ve heard and read, UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves will have both competitive and cooperative multiplayer modes.

We managed to keep the secret completely safe for over a year and a half, but right in the home stretch before the embargo lifted today, word got out all over the internet. Of course the leaked info was only the tip of the iceberg and there is a ton of coverage being released today on dozens and dozens of websites. So, pick your favorite videogame news site and go check out the coverage from our event last week. If print magazines are your thing, we’ve gotten word that we’ll also be in more than a few magazines around the world in the next few weeks.

If you’ve been looking closely at our interviews, our team here at Naughty Dog has been growing rapidly and we now have quite a few more Dogs on staff than when work finished on UNCHARTED: Drake’s Fortune. It shouldn’t be a surprise that we had to grow our studio to tackle the task of creating fully-realized multiplayer and co-op modes that would live up to our own high standards and do the UNCHARTED universe justice. I’m incredibly proud at the excellent work our team has done so far and it shows in the solid gameplay and incredible polish of the little slice we showed press last week. And if you’re dying to get your own hands on it, don’t worry, we’re having a multiplayer beta! It starts on June 3rd and you can get access to it through vouchers in inFamous, which goes on sale May 26th.

We’ll be back soon to talk more about our single player campaign – don’t think for a second we’ve forgotten about that! The rest of our team at Naughty Dog has been hard at work pushing our engine to its limits while creating a campaign that is more expansive and more ambitious than UNCHARTED: Drake’s Fortune. They’ve even learned a few tricks from our multiplayer and co-op development – truly a win-win situation as all aspects of UNCHARTED 2 are benefiting from the work we’re putting into both single player and multiplayer modes.

Oh, wait! Before you leave check out a multiplayer trailer we just finished before the weekend.

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 10

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on April 27th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

Please allow us to copy/back up our save files for Uncharted 2. So many games are locking it now, and it’s a huge inconvenience.

+ Tailsnakes on April 27th, 2009 at 10:59 am said:

Brix were Shat

I rented Uncharted 1, I’ll be buying Uncharted 2, you guys are doing amazing work here

+ CyrusQ on April 27th, 2009 at 11:00 am said:

To Evan Wells about the control options in the game:

Please add southpaw aka lefthanded controls to the game!

The original didnt have them but, especially having multiplayer, they are a must for many lefthanded people. So please, add them. ;) Also if and hopefully when you add them, dont force lefties to shoot with L1 but let them decide if they want to shoot with L1 or R1.

+ hobb123 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:00 am said:

when will infamous demo come out

+ NARDE15 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:02 am said:

Excuse me i have to change my pants now!

+ ross_k on April 27th, 2009 at 11:02 am said:

This year is going to be awesome, inFamous, new Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 2, and possibly GOW 3 and GT 5!

Multi player looks brilliant!

+ bluedice on April 27th, 2009 at 11:03 am said:

Looks great!

+ Caemgen on April 27th, 2009 at 11:04 am said:

- European beta.
- Party-system.
- Cover-based multiplayer.
- Additional cooperative missions for 3 players.
- Kick-ass singleplayer.
- Some nice ‘gore’ when you take someone out with the shotgun in MP, perhaps?

Man, I can’t wait for this.

Naughty Gods, take my money!

+ Arcagenesis on April 27th, 2009 at 11:05 am said:

It looks really AWESOME!!

For those who said they don’t like the new MP feature, we don’t care what you think, I know for sure that the majority of the people appreciate this new addition and I’m one of those.

+ gannon16 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:07 am said:

Is there split-screen?

+ norm01 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:07 am said:

Love it. And, please keep the single player GREAT.. no compromises, even if the game has to be delayed a few months, please.

+ GameFace_06 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:08 am said:

WOW! Im getin UNCHARTED 2 now..if only inFamous had multiplayer 2.

+ westendmatt on April 27th, 2009 at 11:08 am said:

I”m really blown away! Looks like a load of fun! I’m interested in the co-op mode as well. Uncharted Drakes Fortune is still my GF’s favourite game, it would be cool to play along side her in this new one.
Bravo ND, Bravo!!!

+ Armstrong on April 27th, 2009 at 11:10 am said:

SWEEET! This looks rad. Good job Dogs!

+ Onna76_NL on April 27th, 2009 at 11:10 am said:

I don’t like the idea of a MP campaign in a game that became that strong thanks to it amazing experience in Single Play. Uncharted Drake’s Fortune brought like one of the best experiences to me ever in a game, I’m scared it will never be the same with Among Thieves.

Though I need see more about the SP campaign. Will the Co-op mode story differ that much from the main story and does it have any influences on the view of the gamers concerning the main story? I’m really curious about that.

+ iExile on April 27th, 2009 at 11:12 am said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Naughty Dog = God.

+ lowhonor on April 27th, 2009 at 11:12 am said:

please have SPLIT SCREEN coop

+ wolverine81 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:12 am said:

Why Naughty Dog, why? Did you really have to add multiplayer? Drake’s Fortune was a great game. I hope you havent’ wasted time on multiplayer. And let the singleplayer get watered down. I am very disappointed to say the least. I had hoped that the rumors about multiplayer were false.

+ Onna76_NL on April 27th, 2009 at 11:12 am said:

From the looks of the reactions, I guess I’m one in the minority who feels that way :=?

+ Onna76_NL on April 27th, 2009 at 11:14 am said:

Except for Wilverin81 who responded at the exact same time as I did *lol*

+ JaKhris on April 27th, 2009 at 11:14 am said:

Zomgz I want a beta code… *drool*

Looking good.

At first, I really didn’t think multiplayer would be a good idea for Uncharted, but after all you are Naughty Dog…what was I thinking?

Can’t wait!

Chris

+ enewtabie on April 27th, 2009 at 11:14 am said:

Thanks guys.
Everything is looking great. Another hit on the way from the dogs.

+ Lirion on April 27th, 2009 at 11:14 am said:

Naghty Dog/Sony please put this trailer up on the Playstation Store in HD!

+ commedieu on April 27th, 2009 at 11:16 am said:

Naughty Dog:

(standing ovation)

Uncharted 1 has been my best gameplay experience in console history.

+ makingdamage on April 27th, 2009 at 11:17 am said:

Happy times!

+ Grannd on April 27th, 2009 at 11:17 am said:

With Naughty Dog simply can’t go wrong, I have got full confidence that they will deliver with a strong multiplayer ánd singleplayer component of the game.

Seeing as they didn’t have to build the 3d engine from scratch I don’t see any problems for them building both the single- and multiplayer components of the game.

I can’t imagine how much time I’m going to put into this game, part Drake’s Fortune had great replay value with all the treasures and the medals and challenging difficulties, imagine that and add co-op ánd versus multiplayer!

So many great games this year, so little time. Here’s hoping I’ve finished InFamous before the multiplayer beta starts.

+ Barnolde on April 27th, 2009 at 11:18 am said:

At least include an OPTION to use SIXAXIS controls for grenades. That was the best use of motion sensing I’ve ever used.

It did everything the motion sensing was supposed to do; compliment the joysticks and allow for three simultaneous movements; moving, aiming guns and aiming grenades

+ arrais on April 27th, 2009 at 11:18 am said:

everything i hoped for uncharted 2 is beeing confirmed!!

only 1 thing missing to be the goty 2009.. :p

will there be the portuguese language? (audio and subtitles) like the first uncharted?

+ StargamerX on April 27th, 2009 at 11:23 am said:

E P I C

+ Bloody_Marcel on April 27th, 2009 at 11:23 am said:

Please please please let it be a no-respawn game mode. No one will use cover otherwise!

+ drdre74 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:23 am said:

How will inviting friends into a game work? Killzone 2 you have to go into the friends list and go into a game that you see them playing but COD you can invite someone into the game but that person cant find you and join into a game. I like to be able to do both ways if thats something possible. How is Uncharted2 going to work?

+ Kairon on April 27th, 2009 at 11:24 am said:

Can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait!
Infamous and Uncharted, the two best games coming out for any system this year! And i’ll be damned if Uncharted coop isn’t going to be amazing. Naughty Dog is the top dog!

+ Smoov_D on April 27th, 2009 at 11:26 am said:

Nice…looks like a good game thus far, let’s see what it turns out like. I like the CO-OP factor!

+ KINGV84 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:29 am said:

Great Game!!!! I can not wait any longer. Thank You!

+ trustter on April 27th, 2009 at 11:31 am said:

Hi Evan,
Thanks so much for bringing this wicked game to us. Uncharted is in my top 3 games in my whole life. I finished it twice with my Wife and I will be finishing it at least 2 more times before U2.

I hope there are tons of puzzles and more complex as well.

Thanks ND for everything you made so far.

+ Trey630 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:34 am said:

This was unexpected for me. Now I want this game more than ever. PS, I want the code :D

+ Rai_11 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:34 am said:

this is looking so sick guys! I can’t wait to get my hands on this!

+ Tikicobra on April 27th, 2009 at 11:35 am said:

This looks incredible. And it’s cool to see some proper gameplay footage.

I loved the first, but after seeing this one and looking back, it almost seems unimpressive.

+ acmilanboy on April 27th, 2009 at 11:38 am said:

omg…..

+ acmilanboy on April 27th, 2009 at 11:39 am said:

@Onna- dont worry, according to IGN Co-op is totally different from the SP experience, its still the most important facet of the game.

+ FFObsessed on April 27th, 2009 at 11:39 am said:

Mr Well,

Will Uncharted 2 be using dedicated servers?

+ Azured_Scorpio on April 27th, 2009 at 11:39 am said:

Co-Op on Uncharted 2!!! FTW!!!

+ Anubis80 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:40 am said:

@188 ClinToN

No I am not EvoAnubis or whoever. This is my main PSN account and has always been.

+ Enigma777 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:42 am said:

I was skeptical at first… but this looks AWESOME!!!! I just hope there’s not 20 Drake clones running around…

+ Korbei83 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:42 am said:

Can I have it now?

+ Pesico on April 27th, 2009 at 11:44 am said:

Can’t wait for this game to come out. Naughty Dog is without doubt, my favourite developer.

+ Anubis80 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:44 am said:

Sorry that comment above was for #184 mywhitenoise

As for you ClinToN the reason I stated that about the beta and demos is cuz its crap. You make people preorder games that arent that good (well what they think is good and not is up to them) so you can test games or betas. I liked the old betas better. You were just chosen at random and here is your beta code. I have gotten onto a few betas like that already. Or you had to sign up for them. Thats the point I am making. And if I have to preorder a game to get the betas or demos then that makes me look into other games to play and pass up games.

+ Darkos87 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:44 am said:

zomg party system in a ps3 exclusive i must be dreaming.

+ KwietStorm on April 27th, 2009 at 11:51 am said:

Evan Wells, got one question, if you could please answer. You already answered someone else about a party system. I understand the game has been in development for a while now, so you guys have your own schedule, separate from SCE PS3 staff, but if you say the party system is already in and working great, and your game doesn’t come out until the Fall, that would make some assume that there is no party system coming soon in a PS3 firmware, something that MANY of us have been clamoring for, for a long time. Can you comment on that speculation?

+ ADR143 on April 27th, 2009 at 11:51 am said:

holy fkin $h1t!

sorry for my bad language!

i mean this game doesnt need online multi!

and now that it has it it will attract more ppl!

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 10