PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Sega Classics Hit PSN Today with Launch of PSPgo

Julian Mehlfeld's Avatar + Posted by Julian Mehlfeld on Oct 01, 2009 // Community Manager, Sega

Hello PlayStation community! My name is Julian Mehlfeld or clumsyorchid, depending on if you know me in real life or as a username in our community. I work over at Sega as a community manager and am here to discuss some PSPgo updates from Sega. Starting with the release of the PSPgo, we’re happy to announce our some of our PSP of titles are available for download on day one. We’ve got a few titles you might have missed that are worth a look, or even a second look if you’ve already played them. Below we’ve got a brief summary of the titles you’ll come across and will be taking a deeper dive on a few of them across our Sega blogs in the days to come.

Alien Syndrome
Alien Syndrome is a sequel to an old arcade game of the same name and takes place some 20 years after the original. Featuring over 80 different weapons, hundreds of armors and items, 3 difficulty modes, ad hoc multiplayer, and over 40 levels, Alien Syndrome will keep any dungeon crawler busy for a while. The game is probably best described as a top down shooter with added RPG elements.

Alien Syndrome

Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars
Are you ready to make some crazy money? Crazy Taxi for PSP is actually a collection containing the original Crazy Taxi and the sequel, Crazy Taxi 2. In Fare Wars, you’ve got access to all the original crazy moves, over 30 crazy mini-games, and crazy modes you remembered from the original games. Added bonuses include a customizable soundtrack based on your own music from the memory stick and local multiplayer games in head to head battles. We’ve had some fun replaying this in the office and it’s a welcome addition to anyone that’s been looking for a Crazy Taxi fix.

Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars

Crush
I’m a huge fan of Crush and think that every PSP owner and puzzle fan should check out this game, it’s just that good. Crush uses a unique concept, taking 3D environments and “crushing” them into a 2D plane. Since the environment is in 3D, you’ll have to rotate game world to find the best places to crush and gain access to different areas of the level. Need to get atop a ledge, but can’t jump to it? Simply look top down, Crush, walk over to the ledge, unCrush and you’re where you need to be. The challenge then comes in working with the basic rules of the game – for example, some blocks you can or cannot traverse in the 2D plane, but can’t get across in 3D, or vice versa. If you missed Crush before or just want to replay it, now’s an excellent time to pick it up.

Crush

Full Auto: Battlelines
If Crazy Taxi is a bit too tame for your racing needs, Full Auto Battlelines might be the fix you need. Full Auto is all about car combat, destructible environments and an ‘unwreck’ ability that allows you to create opportunities out of mistakes. Unwreck is, like it sounds, an ability that allows you to escape a bad decision and rewind time to avoid that bad turn or unexpected hazard.

Full Auto: Battlelines

Sega Genesis Collection
If you are a Sega fan and want some game to satisfy your classic game lust, this is the title for you. The Genesis Collection features 28 games and 5 unlockables, including favorites such as Sonic 1 & 2, Phantasy Star series, Shinobi, Vectorman 1 & 2, and the Golden Axe series.

Sega Genesis Collection

Iron Man
Based on the blockbuster, Iron Man PSP gives you the chance to head into battle as Tony Stark within the Iron Man suit. If you are familiar with the basic plot of the Iron Man movie, the game is essentially the same with a few additions, including new encounters from other Marvel villains within the Iron Man universe.

Iron Man

Sonic Rivals & Sonic Rivals 2
Sonic Rivals is a different take on the normal Sonic the Hedgehog experience you might be used to. Rivals is best described as racer, you compete against other characters from within the Sonic world, pick up powerups, tackle bosses, and fight to stay at the front of the pack. Bosses? Yes, there are some unique play ideas at here that have you competitively and cooperatively downing bigger enemies. On top of a solid game, you’ll also find unlockables cards that give you some insight into the past Sonic series.

Sonic Rivals & Sonic Rivals 2

Super Monkey Ball Adventure
Monkey Ball for the PSP actually comes in a different style of game than the previous series additions. You play not only Monkey Ball puzzle stages you are familiar with, but also play in larger open world areas with platforming, missions, and mini-game, hence the Adventure name.

Super Monkey Ball Adventure

As noted, back at the Sega Blog, we’re doing a bit of additional coverage on the PSPgo titles. Some of us are revisiting old games we enjoyed; others are picking them up for the first time. Head on over and read my write up on Crush and look for new blogs about some of our other games in the days to come.

PAGE 1 2

+ Tyrsis on October 1st, 2009 at 10:06 am said:

Snap, Crazy Taxi. Ah, how I miss that on my Dreamcast.

+ Neil on October 1st, 2009 at 10:07 am said:

I’d love to see some Dreamcast games hit PS3 :)

+ xaos on October 1st, 2009 at 10:08 am said:

@Neil, actually hitting PSP ;)

Nice to see strong Sega support out of the gate. As a PSP booster, I definitely appreciate it!

+ BigBoss712 on October 1st, 2009 at 10:08 am said:

That’s great, are you guys releasing any of your other popular games to the PS3?

+ L337LUKE on October 1st, 2009 at 10:12 am said:

Where is Jet Set Radio :(

+ mcbuttz78 on October 1st, 2009 at 10:12 am said:

hey jualin.. i want to say ty for bringing sega to ps3.. as a owner of all sega consoles i want to know will after-burner come to ps3.. I know you cant talk to much about what games are coming but is it say to MORE’S TO COMES FROM SEGA!!??

Julian Mehlfeld's Avatar

+ Julian Mehlfeld on October 1st, 2009 at 10:30 am said:

Nice, I\’m stoked that you are stoked on our offerings. I don\’t have any info on After Burner, but I see a fair amount of requests for it across our own forums and will gladly walk your comment over to one of our brand guys to ensure they know you want to see it. There\’s always more to come, always :).

+ The_Wacker on October 1st, 2009 at 10:12 am said:

Woo Crazy Taxi, my girlfriend will be pleased to hear that.

+ StaticFire on October 1st, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

Keep them coming I love old sega games. Now sony if nintendo goes out of business of the console market make sure too get the rights of their games. Before your evil brother microsoft does. I hope your reading this. Zelda on ps3 awesome!

+ dragonmagician on October 1st, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

Excellent support from Sega for the PlayStation family. Love it!

+ WiZeGuY on October 1st, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

HOLY COW!! you guys mean business… HAHA keep up the good work!

+ Jarett on October 1st, 2009 at 10:26 am said:

Hopefully more people will try out Crush! My favourite PSP puzzler.

Julian Mehlfeld's Avatar

+ Julian Mehlfeld on October 1st, 2009 at 10:33 am said:

I love Crush, which is why I took extra pleasure in writing a second look on our blog. Basically, I want everyone to buy Crush, it\’s shameless, I know, but this is more coming from a Puzzle game fan who loves the uniqueness of the game design than a Sega employee. It\’s a fantastic game and worth a first or second look if you want something to challenge your brain.

+ Anubis80 on October 1st, 2009 at 10:26 am said:

Nice job. Its cool to see the PSP finally get some more games.

+ Lerkero on October 1st, 2009 at 10:35 am said:

I demand Space Channel 5 for PSP!

+ The_Wacker on October 1st, 2009 at 10:41 am said:

And these games are just for the PSP? I can’t play them on my PS3 with my DS3.

+ secularsage on October 1st, 2009 at 10:43 am said:

Man, I’m excited about almost everything on that list (excluding Iron Man … sorry, Sega, but it was a weak game.)

I would love to see Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution ported over to the PSP as DLC, particularly if you could throw in online play. Sonic CD and Space Channel 5 would be nice offerings, too.

+ lobotomies4free on October 1st, 2009 at 10:43 am said:

power stone collection was great but it would be better on PS3. GREAT PARTY GAME!

So would a Jet Grind Radio. ;-)

Julian Mehlfeld's Avatar

+ Julian Mehlfeld on October 1st, 2009 at 10:56 am said:

Rolling a few replies into one here, I personally would love to see some DC love spread out across every system. I\’m a huge fan of the console and it\’s one of the big reasons I\’m working at Sega today.

Game ideas and suggestions are always appreciated, however there\’s not too much I can do on the blog posting wise than simply nod in agreement and reminisce about the good ol\’ days. I can, and will, take everyone\’s comments and pass them along to the right people inside the company though, so don\’t hesitate to show your Sega love.

And as noted above, Crazy Taxi might be the game to satisfy that DC itch for the PSP. We\’ve been enjoying in the office and have had fun remembering the \’crazy\’ moves. It\’s been ages since I played Crazy Taxi and it\’s been fun to replay.

+ Vergil3690 on October 1st, 2009 at 10:45 am said:

Sweet! Now can we get some Dreamcast games on the PS3?

*COUGH*SonicAdventure1&2*COUGH*

+ xaos on October 1st, 2009 at 10:46 am said:

@The_Wacker, correct, these are all PSP games, and the PS3 doesn’t play those ;)

+ jeffsmither on October 1st, 2009 at 10:48 am said:

Why havent you put up any of the 2 Megaman games?

+ jeffsmither on October 1st, 2009 at 10:49 am said:

Why havent you put any of the 2 megaman games up?

+ IceCold on October 1st, 2009 at 10:49 am said:

Give me Shenmue!!!!! I still have dreamcast and original Shenmue but give it to me on PSPgo. I might buy one today if you say it’s coming! C’mon segr you can get it done!

+ djspinal on October 1st, 2009 at 10:54 am said:

Just got back from the store with my shiny new Go!!! I saw the sega classics up last night and must buy it.

+ XenoNative on October 1st, 2009 at 10:59 am said:

hi Julian. in the ps store i see powerstone is for the psp, however, i was wondering if there was any chance of it coming to the ps3 console? my entire friend list are fiending to play powerstone, is there any chance we will get a fix!

Julian Mehlfeld's Avatar

+ Julian Mehlfeld on October 1st, 2009 at 11:03 am said:

Hey Xeno, Powerstone is actually a Capcom game, I\’m afraid I don\’t have any info on it. No worries though, we see the request come through for Powerstone stuff pretty frequently in community, there are a lot of fans that fell in love with it on the DC (myself included).

+ stlcardinal9 on October 1st, 2009 at 11:01 am said:

bring crazy taxi to the PS3 PLEASE

+ mcbuttz78 on October 1st, 2009 at 11:05 am said:

ty for our reply julain. i have a list of games i think you could pass along to the board team,

1.Columus
2.Shining force
3.Thunder blade
4.Diner dash
5.Outrun”returns”

Im very excited right now this the best thing since sliced bread . ty julian u get mad prps from,, and hw do i join sega mailing list.. a link would be nice ty in advance

Julian Mehlfeld's Avatar

+ Julian Mehlfeld on October 1st, 2009 at 11:46 am said:

For mailing our mailing list, head to:

Also, we publish articles on our games and updates across our blog at:

I\’ll pass these along, no promises on anything, but happy to get this list (and others posted) in front of the right people.

+ lowhonor on October 1st, 2009 at 11:08 am said:

highly recommend crush and the sega collection

+ B-RadGfromOV on October 1st, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

Not interested. Put them on PS3 and I will buy them all.

+ davivman on October 1st, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

Oh there are tons of older Sega games I would love to see released. Here are a few: NiGHTS into Dreams; Sonic CD; Tazmania.

+ IceCold on October 1st, 2009 at 11:11 am said:

Julian,

Serious question in my previous pots. Are there any plans for Shenmue release?

+ JBruno on October 1st, 2009 at 11:16 am said:

Another Crush fan here! Bought the UMD of the game some time ago… Any chance of a sequel or a port for the PS3 ( PSN ) ?

+ BigAnt18 on October 1st, 2009 at 11:18 am said:

Huh Wut?! Soooo many awesome games today… O_O Geez, half my bank statement is going to say Sony this month lol.

+ Toppled_Dynamo on October 1st, 2009 at 11:23 am said:

Oh! So you guys really CAN update earlier when you want to! lol Maybe a switch to Tuesdays instead of Thursdays?

+ KazeEternal on October 1st, 2009 at 11:27 am said:

Panzer Dragoon Saga Remake Please !!

+ Spunta on October 1st, 2009 at 11:29 am said:

Jet Set Radio. Do it. I’ll wait.

+ bunnyhero on October 1st, 2009 at 11:31 am said:

wow. that is some serious support of the PSP and digital distribution. way to go sega :)

Julian Mehlfeld's Avatar

+ Julian Mehlfeld on October 1st, 2009 at 11:44 am said:

:), as noted, we\’re stoked that you are stoked.

+ acerazer1 on October 1st, 2009 at 11:33 am said:

I would have liked to see the other Monkey Ball titles, like the first and second Gamecube titles. Those were true classics. Everything since then… not so much.

I guess that’s because the franchise was taken from Amusement Vision and made into a lump of crap.

+ QlimaXer on October 1st, 2009 at 11:35 am said:

Are you considering bringing Shenmue & Shenmue 2 to PS3?
These games are like – classic, so it would be great to be able to experience them.

+ SegaFanac on October 1st, 2009 at 11:47 am said:

Hey Julian,

Long time Sega fan and I have posted many times on the Sega forums…. These are great games for the PSP but it would also be nice for all the Sonic’s (Sonic1,2,3,Knuckels, 3&Knuckles “lock-on feature”) and have them downloadble for the PSP under the Minis section…

Also for the LOVE OF GOD please tell me that Sega has plans to release Virtual On Oratorio Tangram and RezHD for PS3..

Thanks again!

+ FabiHurtz83 on October 1st, 2009 at 11:58 am said:

I’m happy to see all this love for Sega. I’m not a fan of Nintendo or MS. I’ve always loved Playstation and Sega franchises.

I HOPE we can see those awesome Dreamcast games on the PSN.

And can someone PLEASE make a Next-Gen Jet Grind!? Pleeeease?!

+ AwRy108 on October 1st, 2009 at 12:00 pm said:

Great list, but the prices are WAY TOO HIGH, especially for digital content.

+ C-Murph666 on October 1st, 2009 at 12:01 pm said:

SPACE CHANNEL 5!

+ megamixer on October 1st, 2009 at 12:05 pm said:

Hurry up and get Phantasy Star Portable on the store. At the right price I may buy it a second time! ;)

+ TailsTheCat on October 1st, 2009 at 12:11 pm said:

Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast. Its the best game on PSP. I have the UMD, so Im good.
The go will be worthwhile when every game is in digital format for half the current cost of the umd. the one thing sony is best at is screwing themselves- and us.

+ Neil on October 1st, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

Thanks for the responses. Any word on if Yakuza 3 is ever coming to the PS3 in the West?

+ Zezzler on October 1st, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

I’d LOOOOVE to see some old fav Dreamcast games ported over to ps3 on the PSN! playing Jet Set Radio again would be my dream come true! i love your support for Sony and please dont stop here!

+ ykiki5 on October 1st, 2009 at 12:29 pm said:

I’m excited – I still have (and play) my Dreamcast.

Any chance of the Shenmue series hitting the PS3. That would be AWESOME!!!

+ An4564 on October 1st, 2009 at 12:46 pm said:

looks like the rumors are true… again
so i’m guess ps2 games are next

+ Capt-Fury- on October 1st, 2009 at 12:55 pm said:

will buy Phantasy Star Portable when it releases on the store…

Julian Mehlfeld's Avatar

+ Julian Mehlfeld on October 1st, 2009 at 12:58 pm said:

As will I, I\’ll bug someone about it :).

Julian Mehlfeld's Avatar

+ Julian Mehlfeld on October 1st, 2009 at 12:58 pm said:

As will I, I\’ll bug someone about it :).

+ Jeigh on October 1st, 2009 at 12:56 pm said:

Stupid Internet Browser- an entire message down the drain. I really hate computers.

Anyway, I’m psyched to see Crush up there! And this way I know I’m supporting the developer rather than some self-serving middlemen. My wallet’s feeling the burn today, and I thank you for that.

Kudos, Sega. =)

Julian Mehlfeld's Avatar

+ Julian Mehlfeld on October 1st, 2009 at 12:58 pm said:

Excellent, more Crush love!

+ Letters2Kay on October 1st, 2009 at 1:02 pm said:

I think it’s worth mentioning that Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars is one of the few games (if not the only) on the PSP that supports custom soundtracks. Just make a folder (and fill it with the songs you want) under the ‘Music’ tab called ‘Crazytaxi’ and then choose custom music in the options. :)

I don’t know why more titles don’t do this, it would be appreciated…

PAGE 1 2