PS4-The Order

District 9 Forged Together With God of War III

Anthony Caiazzo's Avatar + Posted by Anthony Caiazzo on Oct 28, 2009 // Senior Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

We are pleased to announce today a Blu-ray and PlayStation 3 first!

GoWIII Logo

Come December 29th, when you snag your copy of District 9 on Blu-ray, included on the very same disc will be the highly sought after God of War III E3 2009 Demo. This hybrid disc is an industry and PlayStation first which will pair together this summer’s must see Sci-Fi BLOCKBUSTER with SCEA’s powerhouse action title. As an added bonus for God of War fans, those that complete the demo will unlock an exclusive making of featurette about God of War III.

Some other cool special features on the District 9 movie disc will include a Interactive Map feature “Joburg from Above: Satellite and Schematics of the World of District 9,” which provides a highly detailed environmental exploration of the world through a series of interactive satellite maps, technology schematics and photo-real files; and movieIQ, which allows viewers to immediately access continuously updated information on the cast & crew and explore relevant trivia such as production facts, music and soundtrack information all tied to scenes within the movie.

District 9 BD Packshot

+ DrApollo on October 28th, 2009 at 10:08 am said:

My favorite movie of last year combined with one of my most anticipated games. Great! Pick up first day.

+ explosive78 on October 28th, 2009 at 10:12 am said:

Wow, sony you guys are on fire. It’s about time your promotion department earned a living.

+ HatmanTc on October 28th, 2009 at 10:25 am said:

Intersting combo to say the least. It wold make a bit more sense with a rerelease of say 300 or something like that. It is nice to see more of these type of cross promotions.

Here’s an interesting combo for you Reign Over Me & Shadow of Collosous. That would be an awesome combo being SOC was featured in that film

+ i_like_toast on October 28th, 2009 at 10:33 am said:

awesome movie with an awesome game demo, guess whose getting my money ;)

+ Thrasher20 on October 28th, 2009 at 10:35 am said:

Well that sucks, I wanted a FREE God of War 3 demo.

+ justintimeROA on October 28th, 2009 at 10:38 am said:

Well I haven’t seen District 9, but now I’ll definitely Netflix it to check it and the GOW 3 demo out.

Anthony Caiazzo's Avatar

+ Ken Chan on October 28th, 2009 at 11:00 am said:

The GOW III E3 2009 Demo is only available on the Blu-ray version of District 9

+ jrivera0108 on October 28th, 2009 at 10:43 am said:

Already picking up the GoW Collection so I hope I’ll be able to play the demo well before the people who buy District 9. But still, glad to see this and hope to see more movies that I plan on buying with more games/demos!

+ SPOPS on October 28th, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

District 9 sucked I would never purchase that movie.

+ Tr3p1dat10n on October 28th, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

So we can rent it and still get it? Nice.

+ Draicus on October 28th, 2009 at 10:48 am said:

Interesting tie-in. Especially considering how many sci-fi shooters Sony has in their catalog.

Still, cool move to get the demo into the hands of some people who maybe wouldn’t even think about buying the game otherwise.

+ lunalicrichard on October 28th, 2009 at 10:49 am said:

just the man i wanted to speak to !!
I realy dont understand why it is that the g.o.w collection and demo is again being put out much later in europe. If the collection is region free,and the demo can be released in japan the 19th of november why cant it be released in europe at the same time or at least a few days later ! it’s such a strange marketing and sale strategy !! in europe there are at least as much fans of the games as in the u.s !! it comes out the 17th of november in the u.s and somewhere in 2010 in europe,whats up with that ??? i realy would like an honest answer and not a line of distrebution bs !!

+ Aotar on October 28th, 2009 at 10:56 am said:

lol ew at this faildle (fail bundle) :P gow collection ftw!

+ justintimeROA on October 28th, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

@ Ken Chan’s reply:
Isn’t the demo built into the Blu-Ray disc itself? If so, then I’ll simply Netflix the Blu-Ray version of District 9.

+ jazzyrider on October 28th, 2009 at 11:15 am said:

I’m confused– will the GoW Collection have the GoW3 demo too? And if so, will finishing that unlock the featurette?

Or is District 9 the *only* way to get the GOW3 demo??

Anthony Caiazzo's Avatar

+ Ken Chan on October 28th, 2009 at 11:36 am said:

The GOW III E3 Demo is packed into GOW Collection as a download voucher. You don\’t have to unlock it

+ TailsTheCat on October 28th, 2009 at 11:20 am said:

Pathetic

+ spatsnaz on October 28th, 2009 at 11:30 am said:

That’s so awesome. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the film so I look forward to picking it up on blu-ray. I only wish us europeans get something similar. :I

+ AceNet2 on October 28th, 2009 at 11:35 am said:

Bravo, now that’s a great idea Mr. Caiazzo!

BTW, I’m seeing lots of PS3 ads on TV this year, keep it up! Last year I saw the K2 ad, 3 times, that was it.

+ Arthael_ on October 28th, 2009 at 11:42 am said:

Will we have the making of with the demo in the GoW Collection ?

+ Arion87 on October 28th, 2009 at 11:43 am said:

Greetings from South Africa!!! (Where District 9 is based and the Director is South African). Glad to hear about this! Does it apply to the European blu-ray version of District 9 as well?

+ LordRaoh on October 28th, 2009 at 11:46 am said:

smart move and about time.

Transformers blu ray shoudl have come with some weaps or characters for the ps3 game.

movie based Home Themes and gear included in blu ray movies.

+ BaronBrain on October 28th, 2009 at 11:49 am said:

Fantastic! I’m glad someone found a way to include the GoW III demo on a BD disc… even if it’s not on the GoW/GoW II compilation disc. I’ll never understand the reasoninng behind THAT decision – making it DL only – when sufficient space exists on the BD.

Unless this tie-in deal had already been in place many months ago. Hmmm…

Still, including the demo with “District 9″ has a LOT of potential – viewers will be exposed to an incredible game series they may have otherwise ignored.

While a TERRIFIC marketing plan, it’s not entirely an “industry first” — the first movie/game tie-in occurred exactly six years ago today (10.28.2003) with the playable Xbox demo of “The Hulk”. Only a handful of other XB demos followed in 2004-2006: Star Wars: Battlefront, Van Helsing, Chonicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, King Arthur, Robots and Doom 3. Guess which DVDs these were on…

But this IS the first game demo to appear on Blu-ray, and it’s the PS3′s time to shine! It seems Sony understands that quality PS3 demos of any genre can be featured on a movie BD — rather than the usual (mostly) cr@ppy movie/game tie-in titles.

Sony is off to a GREAT start, and this is a trend I absolutely hope continues.

+ LordMoonVydeo on October 28th, 2009 at 12:05 pm said:

OK lets get some facts straight here guys. This might be a Playstaion first, but not an industry first. The Hulk Game had a Xbox demo on the Hulk DVD back in 2003. A little fact check saves a little embarrassment.

Looking forward to this, even if it’s just a little taste of CoW III. Plus I missed the movie in theaters too.

+ Grognard66 on October 28th, 2009 at 12:26 pm said:

Pretty neat idea. Too bad about the release date for the Blu-Ray though – it’s almost like they want it to fail.

+ acerazer1 on October 28th, 2009 at 12:33 pm said:

One thing I like about this is that it pretty much confirms PS3 is THE BluRay player to have at the moment. Why would you want an expensive BluRay player that can’t also play the awesome demo you’ve just received?

+ bravo9zero on October 28th, 2009 at 12:33 pm said:

Will this be available in the UK? Please!!
I will be buying District 9 blu-ray, good movie!

+ acerazer1 on October 28th, 2009 at 12:34 pm said:

I’m sure it’s a download code like they had with infamous, among other games. I don’t think it will be on the disc itself.

+ spoonTRex on October 28th, 2009 at 12:41 pm said:

Ken Chan, I think you missed my point: Why can’t the demo be on the Blu-Ray as well for the God of War Collection if it can appear on the Blu-Ray for District 9? Why don’t buyers of District 9 have to download it as well? I mean, if it’s possible to include it on a disc, why is it not on the disc for the God of War Collection?

+ Robert-Ninja on October 28th, 2009 at 12:47 pm said:

Yes yes yes! Hybrid discs, finally!

+ Rinaldus91 on October 28th, 2009 at 12:55 pm said:

Don’t see the connection between District 9 and God of War, but I was already planning to buy District 9 either way so this is a plus for me.

+ IMD1_PK on October 28th, 2009 at 1:07 pm said:

Well they twisted the facts sort of. They aren’t the first ones in the industry to make a movie/game disc. That honor would go to Universal studios and Vivendi games for doing the Hulk Movie DVD with the Hulk game demo tie-in.
But that’s besides the point. I was already planning on buying the Blu-Ray version and this is a nice bonus for me.

+ angelspawn77 on October 28th, 2009 at 1:12 pm said:

im confused…..i know the GoW3 demo will be in both the GoW collection and the blu ray district 9, BUT what i dont know(and would like to be answered please) is if the “making of GoW3″ featurette will also be unlockable by beating the GoW3 demo in the collection. Or is the “making of” featurette only unlockable in the district 9 demo of GoW3?

Anthony Caiazzo's Avatar

+ Ken Chan on October 28th, 2009 at 1:31 pm said:

The exclusive \”making of GOW III\” video can be accessed through the XMB when the District 9 movie is inserted. No unlock is required

+ scorpio182 on October 28th, 2009 at 1:17 pm said:

Great idea…

+ HongoXIII on October 28th, 2009 at 1:43 pm said:

Awesome, nice to see the game data/movie hybrid Blu-ray discs finally popping up after hearing about it quite some time ago. This is a concept I believe if pushed in the right way, could sell a lot of PS3′s, not to mention games and movies.

+ shelmoon on October 28th, 2009 at 2:00 pm said:

movie was soo good, i’d buy it on blu ray if i had an HDTV

+ IceColdKilla44 on October 28th, 2009 at 2:22 pm said:

I’m a bit confused.

Is the “Making of” Video included in the God of War Collection as well?

Or is it only included in the District 9 Package?

+ IceColdKilla44 on October 28th, 2009 at 2:29 pm said:

How ironic is it that the movie which Peter Jackson ditched his ‘Halo’ project for ends up being packed in with a demo for one of Sony’s most incredible games?

+ r31dkml on October 28th, 2009 at 2:38 pm said:

If I buy GOW Collection i get GOW 3 demo? great!… thing is… I live in europe… so when will the game be out? (GOW COLLECTION)

+ Berae on October 28th, 2009 at 2:42 pm said:

That is…. AWESOME! I really liked this movie and with a gow 3 demo what can i ask more?
Thanks!

+ angelspawn77 on October 28th, 2009 at 2:44 pm said:

oh ok thanks, then if we want the “making of GoW3″ featurette then its ONLY included on the blu-ray version of district 9 not the GoW collection hence the “exclusive”, got it. I didn’t want to buy the movie that much, but i do want to see the featurette. Hmmmm……decisions.

+ CFD13 on October 28th, 2009 at 2:55 pm said:

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!
IF I RENTED DISTRICT 9 at blockbuster or hollywood video store on BLURAY WOULD I HAVE ACCESS TO THE GOD OF WAR 3 demo OR DO I HAVE TO BUY IT????????????????????????????

+ Erniejpan on October 28th, 2009 at 3:18 pm said:

Is the movie any good though?

+ S7INKY_NUGZ_ on October 28th, 2009 at 3:23 pm said:

yea i will pass on this also buyin god of war collection

+ S7INKY_NUGZ_ on October 28th, 2009 at 3:24 pm said:

movie not that good alright a rent

+ ndw4 on October 28th, 2009 at 3:36 pm said:

Do you have to BUY the movie to get it? Or is the demo on the disc?

+ colton12345 on October 28th, 2009 at 3:38 pm said:

movie sucks

+ Kchow23 on October 28th, 2009 at 3:38 pm said:

What am I going to do with 2 Demo vouchers? :(

+ Kchow23 on October 28th, 2009 at 3:39 pm said:

P.S you all have a bad taste of movies if you think this movie sucked

+ SPJammer on October 28th, 2009 at 3:40 pm said:

Now all you have to do is release the movie and the game on one disc and Playstation will enter the realm of Gods. Example, Transformers the movie and Tranformers the game on one disc. Then you can really say “BOOM! It does everything”

+ Invicta2 on October 28th, 2009 at 3:58 pm said:

I saw District 9 in theaters 2 different times and loved it. I had already planned on buying it on Blu-ray anyways, so this has me pretty excited, especially since I’m not able to connect my PS3 to the Internet that often (currently not connected), so I’m glad that there’ll be a way to get the GOW3 demo via Physical medium

+ MooseDog_00 on October 28th, 2009 at 4:05 pm said:

I heard it was a good movie, but now im not renting it im buying on bluray