PS4 - Transistor

ModNation Racers Walkthrough #1: Character Creation

Dan Sochan's Avatar + Posted by Dan Sochan on Dec 01, 2009 // Producer, United Front Games

Hey everyone!

Sorry for the Blog radio silence since E3, but ModNation Racers has been keeping us very busy. The good kind of busy, as you will see! During the recent Media Day at United Front Games, we opened up our new Yaletown-district studio in Vancouver to the media, giving them a hands-on preview of the Public Beta – which will be out very soon. Check out some of the feedback from the press: 1UP, G4TV, GameDaily, GameSpot, IGN.

We’re really excited to show all of you what we’ve been working on, and we want your feedback! There’s a lot of new features, game modes and weapons that haven’t been seen before – and much more still to come!

Each week in December you’ll see a new ModNation Racers video walkthrough right here on the PlayStation Blog, starting today!

This character creation walkthrough is with our Art Director, Rob Oliveira (aka Robo). He’ll step through some of the basics of creating a Mod, which is just the tip of the iceberg that is character creation in ModNation Racers for PS3. Really, there are so many options!

And next week, Rob dives into some of the deeper features of character creation – like decal layering. Enjoy!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ BelieveMeUstink on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:53 am said:

really hype for this game I absolutely love racing games.

+ VanilaGorila-x- on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:55 am said:

Tell Alex Luffman I said he was a fruit. :)

Will there be any other way to get into the Beta other than purchasing LBP GOTY? I already own LBP and don’t want to pay for the game again, just to get into the ModNation Beta.

Peace,
VG

Dan Sochan's Avatar

+ Rob Oliveira on December 2nd, 2009 at 4:44 pm said:

message delivered mr VG ! :)

Dan Sochan's Avatar

+ Rob Oliveira on December 2nd, 2009 at 4:45 pm said:

message delivered mr VG :)

+ Airwalkinman17 on December 2nd, 2009 at 11:38 am said:

Gosh, this game looks so awesome.
But, please, please, PLEASE tell me though that it’ll have local offline multiplayer!!! A game this good MUST have that option so that I could enjoy it with my family!

+ misterjot on December 2nd, 2009 at 11:46 am said:

Custom soundtracks, please and thank you. :)
Day one purchase for sure, keep up the good work!

+ racedriving on December 2nd, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

I wanted to ask about split screen. But I see multiplayer will be talked about later.

That leaves a technical question: 30 or 60fps?

60fps in racing games is really immersive, but I guees it will be 30fps. Custom tracks and 60fps are probably too difficult to manage.
And please don’t forget v-sync=on :).

+ Tommy012345 on December 2nd, 2009 at 12:44 pm said:

Wow! This Customization Is Extraordinary! I Never Expected it too be so Precise! I Expect This Game too Be Great Seller Toward All Gamers: Pro-Racer & Family Fun Alike! If Only I were in the Beta…. Still, I’ve LBP Water Too Keep Testing! =D

Dan Sochan's Avatar

+ Rob Oliveira on December 2nd, 2009 at 4:52 pm said:

glad you\’re seeing the possibilities Tommy! We\’ve built everything tool so you can get something looking good really fast or take your time and work on every little detail. Can\’t wait to see what people do with our tools!! we\’re getting very excited to have it in peoples hands soon!!

+ Tommy012345 on December 2nd, 2009 at 12:46 pm said:

Oh, & Love the Title! Modification Nation! =P

+ Bioman20 on December 2nd, 2009 at 1:44 pm said:

@ 29
Calm down

+ scareforce18 on December 2nd, 2009 at 2:09 pm said:

wow this game looks tight

+ mogar5 on December 2nd, 2009 at 2:19 pm said:

This game seems really cool, i like that charictar building setup that guy showed, i know the game is coming out for the ps3, but is it coming out for the psp anytime?

+ DZORMAGEN on December 2nd, 2009 at 2:22 pm said:

Hell yeah!! Qore Episode 19 will have ModNation Racers Beta invite!!!

+ ADR143 on December 2nd, 2009 at 3:36 pm said:

looks pretty cool.

only thing that is holding me back is if the gameplay any good.

+ grzajabarkus on December 2nd, 2009 at 3:44 pm said:

is there any reason on the ps3 browser you cant see any videos on any Sony site. even on the socom site you cant see the vids

+ RobRoks on December 2nd, 2009 at 4:05 pm said:

looks wicked cant wait please make free dlc’s – maybe in track/ clothes forms :D and really looking forward to this game looks legendary. Can we make our character like our avatar in PS3 XMB + possibly ‘PS Home’ that would be wicked. Once again awesome :P

+ VanilaGorila-x- on December 2nd, 2009 at 5:15 pm said:

Thanks for delivering the message Rob!!

Also, great news on Qore subscribers getting access to the ModNation Beta.

Peace,
VG

+ CmegaMighty on December 2nd, 2009 at 11:38 pm said:

Will the game feature in game XMB music playing in the background for custom soundtracks from our HDD’s?

Thanks! I got LBP GOTY edition but became disappointed from no code included >_>.

+ seedaripper1973 on December 3rd, 2009 at 3:28 am said:

*sigh*
I’ll ask again and get completely ignored…again.

Is the beta comin to the UK or what?? i would really appreciate an answer, not just for me but on behalf of the other UK/euro posters on here!

we would really love to know, because, hey! we have massive interest in this wicked looking title…will you be sharing the love over the pond??

Many thanks for your reply…
See

+ TSFRJ on December 3rd, 2009 at 11:49 pm said:

standing by to test

+ Boosh88 on December 4th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

Hi there, i love the look of your game.
one quick question though.. any news of the BETA coming to the UK or EU before the games release in spring 2010?

+ o0oi01o10oi0o on December 4th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

It doesn’t look like you can put alot of customization into the track .Can you make your own objects like LBP?, on Mod nation it looks like everything is already made and your just pacing them on the track. Are you able to make your own objects like LBP? Or is the customization only amazing when it comes to the car and the avatar. I’m really iffy when it comes to the track customization.

Dan Sochan's Avatar

+ Rob Oliveira on December 4th, 2009 at 1:47 pm said:

i think you are going to be pleasantly surprised at what you can accomplish with our track editor.I can honestly tell you it is as amazing as the kart and character creation.

+ o0oi01o10oi0o on December 4th, 2009 at 8:57 pm said:

Luckily ill be able to test out the game in the beta. By the way when is that coming? I really want to try it out. I hope it’s good, this is a great idea. Last time i played a kart racing game was in super Mario double dash. I’m looking forward to playing the beta.

+ SGU071 on December 5th, 2009 at 1:08 am said:

Can’t wait.

+ grey_jeep on December 5th, 2009 at 5:51 pm said:

In Modnation racers, there were 4 themes shown. Are there going to be more in the actual game like a snow theme, because the column wasn’t full. I would appreciate it if someone replied.

+ seedaripper1973 on December 5th, 2009 at 6:35 pm said:

Im sorry, but with dodging my questions, rob, et al.. you’re c*nts…

+ grey_jeep on December 5th, 2009 at 6:52 pm said:

The beta is only in North America, but I don’t know why.

+ YungShep on December 5th, 2009 at 11:46 pm said:

THIS WOULD BE A DREAM COME TRUE IF IT MODS LIKE LBP AND PLAY LIKE MARIO KART!!! WOW SONY HAS THE BEST EXCLUSIVES..

+ RyanTL on December 7th, 2009 at 6:30 am said:

I reeeeealy hope I get on the beta for this. I liked LBP and I like racing games so I should love this!

+ Keeng on December 8th, 2009 at 8:45 am said:

I usually don’t even care about character creation (my Sackboy is either the classic one or Solid Snake) but this was awesome! I also generally dislike Racing games but again, this game looks fantastic. Keep up the good work.

+ Permafry_42 on December 8th, 2009 at 7:36 pm said:

Will what we create in the beta be available to be used in the main game, or will we have to start from scratch?

+ BD_Mr_Bubbles on December 8th, 2009 at 11:47 pm said:

Glad I bought the LBP GOTY Ed, can’t wait for the beta.

+ Demon_Cloud_XIII on December 11th, 2009 at 7:20 am said:

I was looking at pre-ordering this amazing game from gamestop but some thing was odd about the release date…It said 6/1/2010…Is the release date pushed back or is that just a mistake on gamestops part. It used to say February 2. Can anyone confirm or deny this new, heart-breaking, release date?

+ grey_jeep on December 11th, 2009 at 1:21 pm said:

Demon_Cloud_XIII, that release date isn’t right. I think the specific release date of the game is 2/2/10, 6/1/10 is definitely wrong.

+ Demon_Cloud_XIII on December 11th, 2009 at 5:12 pm said:

But that is just it. Gamestop used to say that it was 2/2/2010 now it says 6/1/2010. Thank you for reassuring me grey_jeep I just hope this is a terrible mistake…

+ dan678762 on December 17th, 2009 at 6:54 pm said: