PS4-The Order

ModNation Racers Beta Starts December 18 + Character Creation Walkthrough #2

Rob Oliveira's Avatar + Posted by Rob Oliveira on Dec 07, 2009 // Art Director, United Front Games

Hello everyone!

Rob Oliveira here. I’m taking a quick break from work to talk to you about some more character creation features in ModNation Racers.

But first, here’s a date you’re going to want to mark down on your calendars. December 18. That’s the day we open up the ModNation Racers Beta to you. The Beta runs through January 10, and you’ll have the chance to score a Beta voucher right here on the PlayStation Blog! Stay tuned very soon for details on the Beta giveaway. Of course, those of you who picked up LittleBigPlanet Game of the Year Edition already have a voucher, so you’re good to go!

In today’s video I’m going to give you a very brief walkthrough of our sticker and layering system. I’m going to create something using one simple shape, several layers, and some color changes.

Once you’ve seen what I do with one shape and a couple of layers, you can easily imagine what can be done with hundreds of stickers, and hundreds layers at your disposal. Our system allows you to move, scale, skew, rotate, flip and change the height and transparency of all these stickers. We’ve also created many “physical” stickers like rust, mud, and dents. Like all of the parts in our game, you can change the color channels, and material properties of each of these. I hope you’re starting to see the possibilities!

Don’t see that Chrome Dragon sticker you’re looking for? There’s nothing stopping you from using one of many primitives and gradients as brushes to create it in the layer editor. Use the material properties to change all those stickers to chrome. Our layering system allows you to group those layers together, so you can move, scale, rotate or change colors as a group. Once you’ve created that Chrome Dragon, group the layers together and paste the whole thing a few more times, or save it as a Sticker Set to your PS3, for use later.

The Creation Station team here at UFG have worked really hard to make this system easy to use, but incredibly powerful. Whether you decide to create characters quickly and casually, or dive in and spend hours and hours, we know you’ll be able to create some truly unique and unbelievable characters!

We are incredibly excited to get ModNation Racers into your hands and see what you create! Start planning now:)

I look forward to any questions or comments. And be sure to head back next week for another ModNation Racers video walkthrough, track editing! Now back to work!

PAGE 1 3 4 5

+ spy1208 on December 16th, 2009 at 9:07 pm said:

exuse me rob i have a mod nation racer beta voucher from the lbp goty edition and it wont work. Do u have any explanation for this.

+ YungShep on December 17th, 2009 at 12:20 am said:

wooooot i just had to post to say. my code arrives sometime today, as it is the 17th and i am a qore subscriber, cant wait! 24 more hours to play!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ SaskBob on December 17th, 2009 at 12:38 pm said:

Just want to say that I bought qore subscription 2 weeks ago and so far there hasn’t been anything in my inbox.

This same thing just happened when i bought GOW collection. Says voucher included in the box,guess what? No voucher inside.

You know I don’t care “who” is responsible for marketing things using vouchers for incentive but could “someone” please take some responsibility?

+ grey_jeep on December 17th, 2009 at 12:43 pm said:

Yeah me either… :(
i signed up on the website way before december 3 but i still didnt get my email. i wonder if they are sending it at a late time or something.

+ grey_jeep on December 17th, 2009 at 12:48 pm said:

Oh i didnt know it was so early over there?! where i live it’s ALREADY 3:47!!!

+ Carmello-1 on December 17th, 2009 at 12:51 pm said:

Hi Rob I’m really hoping its more than one player split screen as well.Do you know if this is the case or is it just multiplayer over the net.

+ louisx1994 on December 17th, 2009 at 1:06 pm said:

Im a qore subscriber i got it before dec 15th when do i get my voucher code for modnation racers ?

+ PatrickJames777 on December 17th, 2009 at 3:10 pm said:

Hi Rob, I am really hoping to get a voucher!! I read that you should register here, but I see nothing about a voucher. I even went to store to see if I could find anymore LBP with voucher sticker on them, but them had none. If it is possible may I please have a voucher to this incredible game? Thanks in advance!!

+ naruto462 on December 17th, 2009 at 4:04 pm said:

Um hey i dnt hav qore XXD and the beta starts 2morrow how do i get the beta code on here do yall give it to us im confused XXd

+ YungShep on December 17th, 2009 at 4:06 pm said:

its still the 17th, but I have no email with my beta key…why does it always take this long to distribute beta keys? Home, resistance 2, socom confrontation, metal gear online, lbp and MAG they all took forever, I love sony, love my ps3 but this is ridiculous for real. Take my money but never reward me at @ decent time in the day for keys…smh..

+ louisx1994 on December 17th, 2009 at 4:12 pm said:

bottom line your still gonna get it be patient. 10 years ago there wasnt even such thing as playing online or even public online betas.

+ ultimate195 on December 17th, 2009 at 5:20 pm said:

What time today the beta be sent

+ grey_jeep on December 17th, 2009 at 5:44 pm said:

Everyone i would check ur emails tomorrow morning because i think they will send them at 12 pm or something

+ Kilau on December 17th, 2009 at 6:05 pm said:

Hey louisx1994, no online play 10 years ago?

You mean 1999, um yeah there were lots of online games, even before 1999, and there were betas too.

Even consoles had online back in 1999, the Dreamcast.

+ DazeOfWar on December 17th, 2009 at 6:15 pm said:

This sucks. No beta invite yet and the store also has not updated. What’s going on here Sony.

+ Talyis on December 17th, 2009 at 6:34 pm said:

I never got my beta code either!

+ cubbielovr on December 17th, 2009 at 7:17 pm said:

I’m glad I wasnt the only one waiting for my code today. I really wanted to play it this weekend, I hope we all get it soon…

+ louisx1994 on December 17th, 2009 at 7:23 pm said:

i wonder why its taking so long just to recive the code

+ GoodAndy3787 on December 17th, 2009 at 8:15 pm said:

I just really want my voucher code! I subscribed to Qore on December 12th, I think. So why do I not have a voucher yet? I’m really, really looking forward to this game. I know I’ll put in plenty of hours.

+ TheFlyingOne on December 17th, 2009 at 8:46 pm said:

Hey I’m a Qore subscriber and I heard Qore subscribers will be sent vouchers on the 17th but I’ve haven’t received one yet please respond.

Thanks

+ louisx1994 on December 17th, 2009 at 9:04 pm said:

it is now offically dec 18th over here in toronto.

+ EDOD on December 17th, 2009 at 9:38 pm said:

Its December 18th! it really feels like videogame christmas, and its not even the full game yet.

i hope i get a voucher SO much! ^_^

+ EDOD on December 17th, 2009 at 9:39 pm said:

This is going to be Awesome!

+ louisx1994 on December 17th, 2009 at 9:46 pm said:

man i didnt get my voucher yet ? and im ive been a qore subscriber wayyy before dec 15th does anyone know why i havent got the voucher yet ?

+ sYtHe20 on December 17th, 2009 at 10:45 pm said:

Got my voucher in the email about 30 minutes ago :D

+ grey_jeep on December 18th, 2009 at 2:55 am said:

Man! I still haven’t gotten my beta code yet and it’s December 18! Has anybody else not recieved their beta code yet?

+ grey_jeep on December 18th, 2009 at 2:56 am said:

Mine still hasn’t came! Has anyone else not recieved theirs too?

+ danielminds1 on December 18th, 2009 at 5:34 am said:

I just received an e-mail from playstation that says: “congratulations! you’ve been selected to enter the modnation racers online beta!”
Good news is that I received a code for the online beta + limited theme code.
Bad news is that online beta will end on 1/10/10.

+ ultimate195 on December 18th, 2009 at 8:09 am said:

Hello im a qore subscriber and i subscribe in november way before dec 15 and i want to know where is my beta voucher

+ EDOD on December 18th, 2009 at 8:27 am said:

Oh my gosh…I don’t think that I got into the Beta…
I reealy wish i got onee

+ danielminds1 on December 18th, 2009 at 10:34 am said:

Maybe….. and I repeat “MAYBE” I’ll trade my modnation racers online beta code, for any other psn game code.

+ mattman111 on December 20th, 2009 at 10:28 am said:

Just got a weried idea for the credits. instead of the usual credits make the credits a race throught UFG office with the credits poping up on the top of the screen. :) sorry for the completely off topic idea lol

+ MPAC017 on December 27th, 2009 at 3:03 pm said:

This is going to be an amazing game! But cant the beta be a little longer.

+ non-dooder on December 28th, 2009 at 9:32 pm said:

I’m in the beta and had a couple of questions.

1. Where do I go to leave feedback for the game?

2. Is anything unlockable in the beta or must we wait for the full game?

thanks,