LittleBigPlanet 3

PlayStation Network Service Restored

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on Mar 01, 2010 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

We are aware that the internal clock functionality in the PS3 units other than the slim model, recognized the year 2010 as a leap year. Having the internal clock date change from February 29 to March 1 (both GMT), we have verified that the symptoms are now resolved and that users are able to use their PS3 normally.

If the time displayed on the XMB is still incorrect, users are able to adjust time settings manually or via the internet. If we have new information, we will update you through the PlayStation.Blog or PlayStation.com.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

230 Comments

+ mgsfoxhound2 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:00 pm said:

look forward to paid yearly so we can get even more support faster since all we have is free at the moment which is probibly just a cuple of guys who pick straws to see who has to work over time for free. Thank you guys for all the hard work! ;)

+ uchiha_bodok on March 1st, 2010 at 8:01 pm said:

My brother was playing GTA IV and acquired the trophy for killing all the pidgeons. Now he returns again and several trophies are missing because he didn’t synced his trophies. He already put the disc in and synced his trophies and are still missing.

What is gonna happen??, is there a solution to this??. I’m thankful that Sony was updating the blog and everything but for some players that invested a lot of time to earn the trophies, the response was a kick in the *****.

+ ynp7 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:03 pm said:

Any chance we can get an explanation for exactly HOW something like this happened? That’s a pretty huge screw up. If it’d been not counting 2000 as a leap year or something that might have been understandable, but 2010 isn’t even divisible by 4!

@49: If 2010 is the only year it’s screwed up on it won’t happen again so why would it need an update? They should make sure that future years are not counted improperly but there’s no reason for an update if they are.

+ lostinplainsight on March 1st, 2010 at 8:06 pm said:

i was more mad that couldn’t play dragon age then losing trophies.(never cared for them anyway)but on the bright side I’m half way through book 7 of the dark tower.

+ EXTREME_rkmn on March 1st, 2010 at 8:07 pm said:

dont care. who won the ultimate god of war fan contest. now that this issue is resolved you should be able to post the winners

+ nathan118 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:16 pm said:

Last night I was playing Uncharted 2, and earned two trophies. In the game itself, it shows me having completed those two medals, but in my trophies on the system it says I haven’t. Put the game in, played it, synced trophies, and nothing I do works.

How am I supposed to get those trophies? One is for 40 treasures, the other for 30 grenade kills. It’d be easier to uninstall the game completed and do the grenades, but will the treasure one kick in when I hit 50? Would be odd to have the 50 treasure trophy and NOT the 40 treasure.

+ rockstarnati on March 1st, 2010 at 8:16 pm said:

@ShadOforce

“Could we get a PSN store freebie? :D

Just kidding. I’m just glad my PS3 will be operating on time for Final Fantasy XIII when it launches next tuesday. I’m so excited about it.”

^THIS.

@KSPRAYDAD

“@75…people lost $$ on a service they were paying for…thus the freebie…it would be a nice gesture by SONY but really we shouldn’t be expecting it imo.

How about a free “I survived the Clock Block” Dynamic Theme?”

^AND THIS.

+ ATOMS11 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:20 pm said:

We always appreciate the communication Sony. Thanks!

+ mochny on March 1st, 2010 at 8:21 pm said:

Firmware update or possible PS3 device recall?

+ gettinmoney662 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:22 pm said:

It’d be cool if you guys did a one day 50% off sale on the PSN store. I know it’s completely unfeasible but a guy can dream, right? Haha.

+ phinnv8 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:23 pm said:

Good job Sony, you kept us informed and fixed it quickly.

Now when is the next PS3 firmware update? =P

+ XgargunoX on March 1st, 2010 at 8:30 pm said:

Playstation3…. It only fixes itself… It only does everything

+ ycole11 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:42 pm said:

Thanks for getting everything cleared up guys.

+ CapinChronic on March 1st, 2010 at 8:43 pm said:

Thanks Sony for getting this fixed so fast :D

+ Zinacef on March 1st, 2010 at 8:46 pm said:

Alas, you’ve given my baby back to me! “What would you do to save the console you love?”

+ MelodicSpectrum on March 1st, 2010 at 9:04 pm said:

So in 4 years, we can have the holiday “Fake Leap Year” for ps3 gamers

+ Neba on March 1st, 2010 at 9:06 pm said:

Just in time for Bad Company 2 midnight release. Thanks Sony!!! And good job on rectifying the problem so quickly. Awesome. Faith restored.

+ TheGuardianFID on March 1st, 2010 at 9:14 pm said:

Thanks guys for all of your hard work in fixing the problem as soon as possible, nicely done!!! 8D

+ jvasq on March 1st, 2010 at 9:34 pm said:

THANK GOD!!! man i was scared and i started to pray that everything would be ok. Thank god i have a psp cus if i didnt i would have been in a corner somewhere trying to kill myself with my cables. Phew. I lost sight of what was important….ps3 is now working. time to play!

+ redknight4 on March 1st, 2010 at 9:41 pm said:

I got to learn about how the psn drm works for the ps3 compared to the psp.

also the themes that showed up as corrupted data went back to normal once the ps3 was able to communicate to psn again.

+ Monetep on March 1st, 2010 at 9:50 pm said:

Finally huh?
Ok, now i can wait for FFXIII calmed…

As we speak i’m downloading the U2 maps :D

+ Keyeszx on March 1st, 2010 at 10:02 pm said:

Are people saying thanks to sony. They didn’t do anything at all. Letting it past 24 hours over a date that didn’t exist letting it correct itself. It’ll happen again in another four years. Sony you need more than just saying we apologize. Give us a new firmware to fix this. Your stupid mistake caused this and it should have been something completely avoided. Who sets up an internal clock wrong like that? It’ll happen to the slims in 4 years probably, 3 since they’ve been out for a year.

Sony has lost my respect. I doubt I’ll be buying much after God of War 3, actually I might cancel my preorder for Sony’s stupidity.

+ EmpireNO on March 1st, 2010 at 10:05 pm said:

Great job fixing it so quick.

+ Monetep on March 1st, 2010 at 10:05 pm said:

Keyeszx:

Yeah, cancel it, so you’ll lose one of the (maybe) greatest game in this year.

+ EmpireNO on March 1st, 2010 at 10:07 pm said:

@Keyeszx

People like you are scum,you have lost all touch with reality. PSN was unavailable for approx. 40 hours and you almost loose it? Get a reality check, the world is full of real problems, don’t create more.

+ Xamindar on March 1st, 2010 at 10:07 pm said:

Still waiting for a fix to this. You guys didn’t fix or restore anything! You just waited for 24 hours for the bug to fix its self.

+ Xamindar on March 1st, 2010 at 10:14 pm said:

I think a free game or $5 credit isn’t too much to ask. We don’t pay for PSN but we DO pay for all our games that also refused to work. I think they owe us something for disabling all out legally purchased games.

+ Korlithiel on March 1st, 2010 at 10:22 pm said:

Yay?

+ KazeEternal on March 1st, 2010 at 10:28 pm said:

What is sony doing to keep this from happening again.

+ Xu_Davella on March 1st, 2010 at 10:37 pm said:

I doubt that this bug is any reason to give anything away for free because of it. It wasn’t even that big a deal. One day and all you guys are acting like it was the end of time…

You can play your games now. Move along.

+ Keyeszx on March 1st, 2010 at 10:47 pm said:

I’m scum? They’re taking credit for some BS they didn’t fix. If they said what was wrong and said we’re working on a way so this doesn’t occur in future years to come then I would be happier. But they’re taking credit for nothing. They did absolutely nothing. That is why I lost my respect for them. If someone took credit for what Einstein did what would you think of him? That’s how I feel about Sony. Nothing happened because of what Sony did they just sat back and twiddled their thumbs once they realized the easy solution was wait 24 hours.

+ Xu_Davella on March 1st, 2010 at 10:58 pm said:

Most of us knew what the issue was before they did anyway, and we already knew it would fix itself, so what’s the big deal?

It specifically says that they had verified the symptoms and that they had been restored. It doesn’t mention anywhere about them ‘fixing’ the issue…

Buy reading skills please.

+ that-acmilan-guy on March 1st, 2010 at 11:04 pm said:

This will again happen in 2014.

+ Rokkafellah10 on March 1st, 2010 at 11:06 pm said:

lol at the second comment on this article

+ gue-xplicit on March 1st, 2010 at 11:43 pm said:

I’m not sure, but I don’t see anywhere where Sony said “We Fixed It”…I do see they said It has been resolved, and we apologize….

Anyways Sony, thanks for working diligently to try and find the issue…

+ gue-xplicit on March 1st, 2010 at 11:48 pm said:

oopps I didn’t finish..

So don’t get on Sony for saying they shouldn’t take the credit…I never saw them take the credit….the kept us posted the best they could while trying to find the issue.

+ mlataupe on March 2nd, 2010 at 1:05 am said:

Nothing is solved.
For all we know the same thing could happen next year or the following or even in 2012 (an ACTUAL leap year).

It’s only a problem that has been put on hold.
You guys need to come clean.

Also from a developper standpoint I’m guessing this could be a serious issue when dealing with saves feature and such.

Hopefully this is only a software problem and doesn’t require a complete BIOS rewriting.

Seriously, don’t take this lightly. Test the **** out of it and eventually patch it!

+ Letters2Kay on March 2nd, 2010 at 1:07 am said:

To everyone who wants something for the inconvenience, loss of data, trophies, etc.:

My 60GB PS3 has YLODed 3 times and I’ve had to rebuild my entire system from nothing twice. I lost almost everything- and I still had to pay a total of $300 (so far) for 2 of those 3 repairs. Your not going to get free money or credit for a 24 hour network outage or loss of some of your data. Get over it, it could be a helluva lot worse…

Trust me.

/you’ll see?

+ CrusherX on March 2nd, 2010 at 1:36 am said:

Everyone freaks when it goes down, and a few hours later everyone’s cheering. Well, you deserve the support you’re getting now, Sony. Good on ya to the technical crew and the teams that worked through this. The Playstation system remains a fantastic service to gamers.

+ The7Legend on March 2nd, 2010 at 1:38 am said:

We really appreciate your help and keeping in

touch with the troubled users, who im one of

them .. but i hope that nothing would happen

to any of the trophies we earned.

+ rainbowhillbilly on March 2nd, 2010 at 1:57 am said:

I had no doubt in Sony! GREAT JOB YOU GUYS!

+ HaVoK_ on March 2nd, 2010 at 2:06 am said:

Good God!! PSN was offline for a few hours and look at the countless idiots who posted on trading in their Ps3’s and preaching doom & gloom. ughhhh. Such a minor issue and the internet was flooded with BS.

+ Kasi7-85 on March 2nd, 2010 at 2:32 am said:

It Only Does Everything .. Including Fixing it Self :D
God Bless PS3:)

+ Carl-G on March 2nd, 2010 at 2:39 am said:

Shame Microsoft can’t fix RRoD after 4 years ;D

+ Rikuson1 on March 2nd, 2010 at 3:40 am said:

we deserve a big update >:l

+ Dilboy30 on March 2nd, 2010 at 4:14 am said:

I am sure they’ll test all dates from now on.

A firmware patch will cover anything that may happen in 4 years. We’ll might never know, and hopefully we won’t.

They’ll just quickly fix it.

+ Dilboy30 on March 2nd, 2010 at 4:14 am said:

I am sure they’ll test all dates from now on.

They’ll just quietly fix it.

+ Rude_Sparthan on March 2nd, 2010 at 4:21 am said:

great guys.. ;)

+ TubaDude49 on March 2nd, 2010 at 4:33 am said:

@LBPodcast err..no, Y2010K is 20100000, it would be Y2K10

+ TubaDude49 on March 2nd, 2010 at 4:36 am said:

@131 I’m pretty sure Einstien might have taken a few ideas from other scientists