PS4 - Destiny

Gran Turismo Does NASCAR – Polyphony Digital At Texas Motor Speedway

Brian Dunn's Avatar + Posted by Brian Dunn on Mar 05, 2010 // Associate Product Marketing Manager

Hello, PlayStation.Blog readers. I’m here to talk about one of the new additions to Gran Turismo 5. Namely, NASCAR.

I’m sure all of you Gran Turismo fans out there remember that Gran Turismo 5 Prologue featured the Daytona oval and road course layouts. And with Gran Turismo 5′s announce trailer at E3 last year, you saw that NASCAR stock cars would be making their debut in Gran Turismo 5, adding yet another official race sanctioning body to the Gran Turismo lineup. Rest assured that Kazunori Yamauchi and the hard-working team at Polyphony Digital are putting as much attention to detail into recreating the NASCAR stock cars, tracks and experience as they do with every other element that goes into the Gran Turismo series.

In addition to visiting the racing team to photo shoot and sound-record their vehicles, Kazunori and crew visited their first NASCAR race at the Texas Motor Speedway last year to witness and experience the scale of a real NASCAR race, the intensity of the pit and the speed of the crews, not to mention the roar and excitement of the crowd. We had a film crew on hand to capture some of the action, and I’m happy to share this exciting new video here, giving a hint of what’s to come with NASCAR in Gran Turismo 5. Enjoy the video, and keep checking the blog and the official Gran Turismo website for the latest Gran Turismo 5 news!

77 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ VerIoren on March 5th, 2010 at 9:06 am said:

I cant wait for this game, the NASCAR addition sounds promising. I just hope it sees a release date sometime this year :)

+ Dangeresque92 on March 5th, 2010 at 9:08 am said:

It kills me that they keep cutting away before we get to see if the wrecks are causing damage or not. Come-on polyphony! Are we gonna see bashed up NASCARs, or are they going to be magically invincible?

+ Genetic722 on March 5th, 2010 at 9:11 am said:

I hope they have the entire field. Also a nascar career that matches up with a sole nascar game.

+ LordRevoltadoUS on March 5th, 2010 at 9:14 am said:

I can’t hold this hype anymore! I need it NOW!

+ inkme1 on March 5th, 2010 at 9:15 am said:

JUST RELEASE IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!

if for no other reason i will buy this for the nascar alone! gimme gimme gimme!!!!

+ BlooodyCow on March 5th, 2010 at 9:16 am said:

I find this hilarious that this video has been on the web for a good 2 days now. If you are going to re-post this video, at least do it in HD

+ Myke-Myke on March 5th, 2010 at 9:20 am said:

I want this game so bad… GT5 is gonna be huge! Whenever it releases!

Hopefully, it WILL release this year!!!

+ norm01 on March 5th, 2010 at 9:23 am said:

Nothing short of PERFECT. Count me in as one who will be following NASCAR more because of it’s inclusion into my primary hobby- Playstation.

+ lcmnick on March 5th, 2010 at 9:23 am said:

Is…is Kaz using a Canon camera?

He should really be using a Sony Alpha…

+ DeathSoldier11 on March 5th, 2010 at 9:26 am said:

Is GT5 going to be released sometime this century?

+ SDkngsht on March 5th, 2010 at 9:27 am said:

i’ve always wondered why they didn’t try their hand at a nascar game. man…in a few of those shots i couldn’t tell which were the game cars and what was actual footage.

no one does it like polyphony. i think they just turned GT5 into the best Nascar game out even though it’s only ONE PART of the entire experience.

+ lcmnick on March 5th, 2010 at 9:27 am said:

Oh and btw, when are we going to see more WRC footage? It seems to have fallen off a cliff.

+ wu-stix on March 5th, 2010 at 9:28 am said:

For the love of God, please give us a release date. This is my most anticipated game this year, probably because I have been anticipating it since before Prologue was released.

+ subwaydesign on March 5th, 2010 at 9:50 am said:

NASCAR Fans, PLEASE help me out on this one. Just tell me why NASCAR is so great so I can get the hype too, instead of losing interest in GT5.

I never liked NASCAR, to me it’s only a bunch of cars running in circles for hours. Help me get out of that thought please.

+ dragonmagician on March 5th, 2010 at 9:52 am said:

Release date at GDC? E3? GC? TGS?. I need a release date.

+ Tejalkaps on March 5th, 2010 at 10:04 am said:

GT has always been awesome !! Keep up the good work !!

+ G-Force08 on March 5th, 2010 at 10:05 am said:

I understand the reason that the game keeps getting held back. It takes a while to achieve perfection which this game is inching closer to.

I’m thrilled to see NASCAR in GT5 in such detail and realism. Sony does it again! Can’t wait until its release.

I wonder though, will there be different real NASCAR race tracks to choose from in game? I hope so.

+ shriyamendonza on March 5th, 2010 at 10:08 am said:

This is so close to being perfect. I’ve been a huge fan since inception. This game super rocks !!

+ wbrinkman on March 5th, 2010 at 10:12 am said:

Give a release date already

+ gta_4 on March 5th, 2010 at 10:14 am said:

omg stop giving us trailers and screen shots, give us a release date

+ Wiscompton on March 5th, 2010 at 10:21 am said:

DO NOT CARE…until a release date is announced. Hell, I’ll even take an announcement about an announcement of a potential release date at this point.

Oh yea -SHAKE & BAKE!

+ MLZ911 on March 5th, 2010 at 10:22 am said:

so when is this game coming out? it feels like its been years since i first heard of it, oh wait it has!!!

+ IceCold on March 5th, 2010 at 10:30 am said:

I’ll wait until next year if that means damage will
be in the game.

+ Strombole on March 5th, 2010 at 10:31 am said:

I’m the magic man…. Abra Cadabra holmes! I’m confused by your tactics so Im just gonna stand here and act tough till I figure it out!

P.S. (whisper in your ear) Shake n bake

+ Aggie_CEO on March 5th, 2010 at 10:32 am said:

RELEASE DATE!!!!

+ rospondek on March 5th, 2010 at 10:39 am said:

When?

+ lostinplainsight on March 5th, 2010 at 10:48 am said:

hey gran Turismo looks great and all but when are we going to see another omega boost that game was 7 shades of awesome.

+ ForgetfuI on March 5th, 2010 at 10:53 am said:

Put in Prologue, come to the forums, and get racing. We’re only getting faster.

+ sleeperx8 on March 5th, 2010 at 11:00 am said:

ahhh… as much as this gets me excited.. i can’t avoid the instinctual “ugh…” when i think of the delay trying to put in something new will do this game…

it’s like kazunori the groundhog has come out … saw the shadow of something else to put in, got excited, and now we have another year of delay…

+ Nightmare142 on March 5th, 2010 at 11:06 am said:

This is what i like about Kazunori Yamauchi he just doesn’t tell someone to go out and take some pictures, he goes to the event himself and learn everything he can about this sport, and this it why Gran Turismo is #1

+ SpeedRacer1955 on March 5th, 2010 at 11:19 am said:

Now with NASCAR changing the cars back to spoilers instead of wings will PD need to delay the game again to get the NASCAR experience perfect???

+ Niko_9 on March 5th, 2010 at 11:43 am said:

I bought my ps3 since the release date only for this game. Give us a release date!!!

+ mamogamikos on March 5th, 2010 at 11:44 am said:

Can we have F1 next?

+ jayrockslife on March 5th, 2010 at 11:45 am said:

I can’t freakin wait for this. Finally a developer (since papyrus) that knows what they’re doing is taking care of the NASCAR racing.. even if its only a portion of Gran Turismo 5. I’ll buy this game strictly for Nascar and the other racing is just a huge bonus.

Did I mention that I CAN’T WAIT FOR THIS GAME!?!?

+ Naquiel on March 5th, 2010 at 11:54 am said:

Guys I know the release date. It is 2045. Do expect a change in release date once 2045 arrives though!

+ jqtaxpayer on March 5th, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

So did you still plan to release a game, or is Gran Turismo more of an “idea” now? It’s been half a decade, guys. This is just a joke now.

+ Blkant on March 5th, 2010 at 12:05 pm said:

So are you guys ever going to actually release this game or what?

+ eaglefan129 on March 5th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

Meh I really don’t like the gran Trusimo seris but since I’ve not heard anything about a Nascar 10 by EA this will have to be my closest to nascar.

+ polo155 on March 5th, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

what up Bri, yo im am the BIGGEST NASCAR Fan and Gran Turismo Sim Racing Fan as well and when i tell you that this game with this in it for me as well as many many other nascar fans, this is the Ultimate!! I do pray thast e have tire wear and fuel spendages (effecting nose weight as its spent causing looser conditions…

+ polo155 on March 5th, 2010 at 12:30 pm said:

i agree with #3

+ polo155 on March 5th, 2010 at 12:33 pm said:

at #14… i drive road courses and short tracks better than i do Datona or Tally but i love nascar from when i was young and i igured how hard can it be.. i dont win those tracks but fair 5 or 7th place, doing left turs like u put it is hard dude but the startgizing to get you a win is great too. i dont kno what else to tell you except to watch it and you’ll see.

+ Scodo_Thope on March 5th, 2010 at 12:35 pm said:

Awesome! GT, Nascar and Texas = WIN !

+ polo155 on March 5th, 2010 at 12:37 pm said:

@speedracer1955, i believe a patch will do it

+ SpeedRacer1955 on March 5th, 2010 at 12:55 pm said:

@polo155:

I would hope so but each time they announce a delay they say that the game is ready just fixing things to make it “perfect”, or added new feature like MotoGP motorcycles etc… I was just being sarcastic. But being a fan of the series I purchased GT5P after the announced a potential release that Summer and it would not be long… Now even that seams farther behind us than it is in front of us. There has been no hard word on a release date. So flaming PD is all that is left to do until the game comes out!

+ cybershinigami87 on March 5th, 2010 at 1:07 pm said:

The scary thing about Gran Turismo is that you can ignore the NASCAR part and still get a full experience. The game looks stunning and I’m impatiently waiting for a hard release date.

+ syk1288 on March 5th, 2010 at 1:25 pm said:

Could you even tell which is the game and which is real without looking at the human characters in the game?

+ polo155 on March 5th, 2010 at 2:15 pm said:

@speedracer1955… ahh i understand now, u r right i feel the same, its liike whenever somthing new for it is announced its likethey going to the drawing board for it (i dont mind) but if thats the case itll never come out because when its about to come out a new car will come out and oh no, a delay lol… they say they want the cover car to be the hottest car and that benz comes out like this month or may so anything after that would requier a new box-art so, if we hear no new box-art by may we kno itll be coming out hhehehe.. i hope. if it dont come out by may i will by RFactor and go back to my old racing league on the PC, Dust off my MOMO Wheel.

+ Kchow23 on March 5th, 2010 at 2:17 pm said:

awesome can’t wait for GT5

+ WINNERS_CIRCLE24 on March 5th, 2010 at 2:18 pm said:

thank you for sopme new video i cannot wait for this already pre orderd can you maybe add a car for GT5 pre oredders like what u did with GT4 and GT Psp edition? and go #24 jeff gordon and DP

+ polo155 on March 5th, 2010 at 2:20 pm said: