PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

ModNation Racers Release Date, Pre-Orders and Box Art!

Chuck Lacson's Avatar + Posted by Chuck Lacson on Mar 15, 2010 // Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

If you’ve been keeping up with the Blog or recent preview coverage, you know ModNation Racers is continuing the Play, Create and Share movement allowing both PS3 and PSP owners to design their own racers, karts and best of all, custom tracks! Creations can then be raced with friends (four-player split-screen confirmed!) and uploaded to the rest of the PlayStation Network! But the question is:

When will it hit store shelves?

Well it’s official! ModNation Racers on both PS3 and PSP releases May 25! On top of this, we kick off our official pre-order program today for the PS3 version with participating retailers.

ModNation Characters

That’s right! Ratchet and Clank, Nathan Drake, and Kratos have officially been Mod’ed! Depending on where you pre-order your copy, you’ll get to race with one of your favorite characters.

ModNation Racers Kratos Racing

Pre-order from GameStop and score Kratos and his Kart of Chaos!

ModNation Racers Ratchet Racing

Pre-order from Amazon and race as Ratchet or Clank!

ModNation Racers Nathan Drake Racing

Pre-order from Best Buy and score Nathan Drake and his Jungle Jeep!

On top of this, each pre-order gets an additional BONUS Mystery Mod and Kart package that include not just a special Mod and Kart, but additional accessories that you can use to make your own creations!

ModNation Racers DLC 1 ModNation Racers DLC 2

ModNation Racers DLC 3 ModNation Racers DLC 4

Four possibilities in total, and just like a vinyl figure you buy in stores, you won’t know which one you get until you download it and see for yourself. Wondering what they could be? We will reveal them soon enough! Just look for a future post right here on the Blog. :)

So there you go! Pre-order today and you might be racing with your favorite PlayStation character! To make sure you know which box to grab on May 25, here is a sneak peek at our packfront!

ModNation Racers PS3 Box

More updates to come right here on the PS.Blog! See you then.

+ SpeedRacer1955 on March 15th, 2010 at 1:55 pm said:

Yeah a date and I just pre-ordered with Amazon and get Rachet and Clank skins plus secret Kart etc.. Plus 5% off

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:40 pm said:

Congrats!

+ BlooodyCow on March 15th, 2010 at 1:55 pm said:

@34 Black_Wolf_27
Sony own both the Resistance and Ratchet and Clank IPs.

@36 Darth-Krayt
Who are you and why should I care about your opinion?

+ Sonicfan11589 on March 15th, 2010 at 1:56 pm said:

@46 I totally agree with u, i look forward to every thursday, then on thursday night(I live in NY state), I drive myself nuts waiting for the store to update, staying on the computer until it updates, refusing to go and play because of the thought in my head of it updating a minute after I go play a game, and really wanting to know what’s new, and of course I’m usually disappointed that there’s no new or old game added that I truly really want, and the following week, the process begins once again.

+ TheGuardianFID on March 15th, 2010 at 1:58 pm said:

Freaking Awesome Chuck, SOLD SOLD SOLD!!! 8)

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:41 pm said:

So happy you are jazzed! We are too!

+ SogeKing on March 15th, 2010 at 1:58 pm said:

Can we get a Jame Grayson mod from Resistance Retribution for PSP? Maybe a nice Gabe Logan from Syphon Filter. Show the PSP AAA titles some love.

+ Jetup on March 15th, 2010 at 1:59 pm said:

Are the pre-order specials also for the PSP?

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:41 pm said:

Only for PS3.

+ BlooodyCow on March 15th, 2010 at 1:59 pm said:

@48 mywhitenoise
I never said I wouldn’t mind playing for those other characters I requested? I know its going to take time, money, and resource to create those characters. So that why I am willing to shelling out the cash for those extra characters if they becoming available. For LBP, I spend close to $40 on extra characters skins and I purchase the Game of the Year edition.

+ Utmost-Nutszo on March 15th, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

I really hate pre-ordering from Best Buy, but I might have to for Mr. Drake.

*shakes fist at Sony marketing*

+ VincentVendetta on March 15th, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

Dammit now I’ll have to get it for my birthday!

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:42 pm said:

way to treat yourself!

+ SnwBuni on March 15th, 2010 at 2:13 pm said:

Will these codes be able to be redeemed multiple times? (Like LBP had) That way users that pre-ordered at one place can share their codes and get codes for the other items that were pre-order bonuses? BTW looks great! Can see this turning into way better take on Mario Kart.

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:45 pm said:

I don’t think so. Sorry.

+ ThisIsInsane on March 15th, 2010 at 2:16 pm said:

What if you buy it from the Playstation Store??? Will you still get something like LittleBigPlanet??? And is it like Gran Turismo, like how the extra content will be available at a later date? Thanks, I know this is a lot of questions…..

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:46 pm said:

Since this is a PS3 program, there isn’t a bonus for getting the PSP version off the PSN. For PS3, we will have more content post launch available for download.

+ sfgdfds on March 15th, 2010 at 2:20 pm said:

Give us a Kevin Butler please.

+ Thrill_Kill on March 15th, 2010 at 2:22 pm said:

Bit pissed off that GameStop got KRATOS!! Damn Sony you know just how to disappoint a person. I won’t ever go to that place ever again,and no matter what you throw my way as an incentive to shop there again, it just isn’t going to happen.

Oh well, Nathan Drake it is I suppose! :( At least you guys thought of Best Buy this time around and didn’t completely screw me again! I was not able to reserve Heavy Rain at Best Buy and now I need to buy the DLC separately, even though I bought the game on day 1. And I wasn’t going to be buying from amazon or those GameStop type places… Best Buy rocks with the Gamers Club card, and Rewards Zone discounts, and points system.

Why ANYONE would go to a GameStop, just to be treated like crap AND be sold an opened/played copy of Mod Nation Racers for a new $59.95 price, AND also be blatantly LIED to as they tell you it is still new, is beyond me.

I would rather buy my games new in the original shrinkwrap, and get treated properly as a customer, AND get money off the game using my points cards at BB.

+ estallder on March 15th, 2010 at 2:29 pm said:

looks awesome,can’t wait!!!

+ JKC31 on March 15th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

I never dislike a cart racer before and this might be my first. I wanted to get up and leave while trying the beta. Hope theirs a rabbit in that hat.

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:47 pm said:

There be rabbits in that hat my friend. Many many rabbits. :)

+ NEJI64 on March 15th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

no matter what form Kratos is in he look like he ready to rip your head off.

+ zeprider25 on March 15th, 2010 at 2:35 pm said:

you guys complaining about the lack of killzone, resistance, infamous, etc characters obviously didnt get to play the beta. In the game you can create and downloaded whomever you want. Wether it be cole from infamous, some heilghast from killzone, ghost from mw2, captain price, sweet tooth from twisted metal,mario, pikachu,sackboy, solid snake, old snake, raiden, mickey mouse,even Master Chief was on there, honestly I could go on for days.

In total I had about 100 different characters from every kind of game you can think of and most looked almost as good as these official characters with maybe the exception of Kratos because of his armor.

+ SykoTech on March 15th, 2010 at 2:40 pm said:

This game looks pretty cool, but I just got Sega All-Stars for my kart racing fix. I’ll wait a bit later on this.

+ Seahawk313 on March 15th, 2010 at 2:42 pm said:

yeeeeeesssssss,super syked. Ebay for DLC, PSN for game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ wootbeers on March 15th, 2010 at 2:48 pm said:

The pre-order bonuses are not very good, really…The best thing about this game is that you can CREATE your own tracks, carts, and cars. I’d rather make my own ORIGINAL Nathan Drake or Kratos.

I’m a bit disappointed in the boxart, looks very childish. I much prefer the one displayed on amazon: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61TJE3TfnlL._AA300_.jpg

Either way, however, I’m getting this game.

+ Fishface45 on March 15th, 2010 at 2:49 pm said:

Will we be able to DL the other characters through DLC at a later time?

+ Korbei83 on March 15th, 2010 at 2:50 pm said:

Just enough time to play the heck outta 3D Dot Game Heroes first.

+ luxBATTLE on March 15th, 2010 at 2:51 pm said:

will the one for the psp be on the psn

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:48 pm said:

Yup!

+ starBlinky01 on March 15th, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

cooool. I was never really excited for this game.. But I am warming up to it. If it gets good reviews I will definitely buy it for sure.

I still think though that it would be better if we could create our own weapons.

+ Dracorius on March 15th, 2010 at 2:57 pm said:

WOW….The box art looks fantastic. My nephew has been eyeing on this one for a while. The pre-order characters look hilarious. I will never look at Ratchet, and Nathan Drake the same again!

+ DZORMAGEN on March 15th, 2010 at 3:00 pm said:

This is awesome! Can’t wait!

+ Kirkpad on March 15th, 2010 at 3:14 pm said:

When do you plan on giving us details on the Canadian pre-order program?

After all, United Front Games IS from Canada!

+ zooKreature on March 15th, 2010 at 3:15 pm said:

For everyone asking for more Sony characters, during the beta players created helghast, marvel, sonic, and Mario characters… I know official releases are better but I’m sure everyone will find something they like. I can’t wait for release and endless creations.

Remember this game is aimed at kart/racingand play, create, share fans so this and one of the other 2 racers you can’t go wrong. Get this 1st though…

+ Griffmo on March 15th, 2010 at 3:15 pm said:

Safe to assume that eventually all of these will be available as DLC…right?

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:49 pm said:

Wish I could confirm but we don’t know yet. :(

+ ozlacs on March 15th, 2010 at 3:18 pm said:

well the drake rider is like a manchild and creeps me out….WTF KRATOS’ FACE!!!Thats just scary….The winner is ratchet and Clank for me…the fact he’s got what seems to be a kart with a colour theme like Aphelion is very amusing to me and he’ll fit in the best of Kart racers of these 3…and to the other people who want other Sony characters…dont worry theyll be comin…Sony will just make you pay more for them XD…anyone know when a public beta/demo is comin out because this is something I will have to try before I buy

+ TakumiM07 on March 15th, 2010 at 3:19 pm said:

Judging by the customization I could make virtually anything from all the way to shape and warp pieces. So if you really are desperate to get a “known” character, you can just make your own…

+ hotartist101 on March 15th, 2010 at 3:22 pm said:

This game IS awesome, I played the beta version of it and can not wait for the full version, I just hope the characters I created for the beta will be reavailable for me in the full version…. I made some sweet Scooby-Doo Gang Mods, Mario Bros. Mods, even a Lady Gaga one…. I bet all of these downloadables will be available on the playstation network and they will probably make more for our enjoyment :) I will definately be getting ahold of one of these!!!

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:50 pm said:

I’d love to see the Lady Gaga one. lol

+ rAdIOhEad73 on March 15th, 2010 at 3:32 pm said:

Will this game run at least at steady 30 frames per second?
The BETA was plagued with low frame rate and choppy gameplay problems, and I know that Developers have said that the frame rate have been improved but “improved” could mean anything, I will wait for a review and a clear report on the frame rate before buying, while the game looks promising I don’t want to end up with a driving game were gameplay is choppy.
For a driving game 30 frames per second locked should be the bare minimum.

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:51 pm said:

I totally agree. UFG has confirmed a strong 30 frames per second in their recent interview so you will be taken care of.

+ Kchow23 on March 15th, 2010 at 3:40 pm said:

wow nice DLCs, will they be available on PSN after a month?

+ Berae on March 15th, 2010 at 3:41 pm said:

Nice!

+ MLZ911 on March 15th, 2010 at 3:42 pm said:

so cool, cant wait til this drops. hopefully this game will continue to support dlc unlike that other play, create, share game…

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:53 pm said:

We hope to have post launch DLC too. But I think LBP had TONS of DLC, probably the one of the titles with the most.

+ DNAgent on March 15th, 2010 at 3:42 pm said:

I’ll probably get the Kratos pre-order.

Also, people shouldn’t be complaining about these pre-order bonuses. I was in the beta and people made some amazing characters & karts (and that was when a lot of the items were restricted!). Now that we will be getting the full game, even more possibilities unlock for creating awesome characters & karts.

Here is just a few of the characters that people have made in the beta http://www.destructoid.com/gaming-icons-get-created-for-modnation-racers-158317.phtml and these weren’t even the top 10.

+ letherclad on March 15th, 2010 at 3:48 pm said:

I HATE when preorders bonuses are scattered like this and not that everyone gets all of them, way to spit in your fans’ faces

+ hush404 on March 15th, 2010 at 3:50 pm said:

Sweet, yeah, woah, awesome, yeah, mmm, yeah, kewl, yeah! hehehe.

I’m surprised it’s coming out so soon, I expected a Fall release. hmm.

+ Berae on March 15th, 2010 at 3:54 pm said:

This game was really fun but i hope you guys corrected the problems with the beta. If yes then its gonna be great!

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:57 pm said:

UFG covered most of the big concerns so you won’t be disappointed.

+ NeodeosX on March 15th, 2010 at 4:04 pm said:

Wooot ! Nice :) I’ll go along with my favorite Lombax and his sidekick then.

+ mlo93 on March 15th, 2010 at 4:08 pm said:

Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finnaly after sufering . i can’t wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ purplestream on March 15th, 2010 at 4:12 pm said:

i agree with #2. too much nice games coming out. :D

+ Carl-G on March 15th, 2010 at 4:23 pm said:

Has it got 4 player off-line split-screen mode? ;)

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:58 pm said:

+ cell989 on March 15th, 2010 at 4:31 pm said:

awesome incentive awesome indeed. We’re still going to need Sackboy thrown into the freight too, for “mod” sake.

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:58 pm said:

I like that.

+ crowsticky1234 on March 15th, 2010 at 4:34 pm said:

Will the pre-order add-ons be on the Playstation Store for the PSP.

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:58 pm said:

Sorry. This is a PS3 only program.

+ RedZepp on March 15th, 2010 at 4:35 pm said:

Are the bonuses the same for the PSP and the PS3? I don’t see any mention of the bonuses on the PSP product page at Amazon.

+ Avalanche on March 15th, 2010 at 4:36 pm said:

did you guys fix the bad camera view or give us more options for it?

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 5:59 pm said:

I believe there are options now. Will try to confirm in a later post.

+ wanethemane93 on March 15th, 2010 at 5:00 pm said:

Man can’t wait. Glad to learn of the release date and the awesome PS characters being included in the game. Played the beta and loved the early build of the game, so I know the final game is going to be amazing.

+ HazeBlaze on March 15th, 2010 at 5:02 pm said:

Wow, I hate that I can’t get both Ratchet AND Kratos! But if I have to choose… Gamestop gets my pre-order!!!