PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Surprise! Twisted Metal Coming to PS3

David Jaffe's Avatar + Posted by David Jaffe on Jun 15, 2010 // Video Game Designer/Director

Man I love surprises!

And I ESPECIALLY love E3 surprises!

Thing is, in this day and age, it’s super rare for a game to surprise anyone at E3 anymore. There are just too many leaks. And the Internet makes sure those leaks travel fast and furious. From the moment the info first gets out to the time when the hardcore gamers know about it, you’re talking 12, maybe 18 hours tops. Many publishers have simply given up trying to surprise gamers at E3 because they know it’s just not possible anymore. But back in the day – when E3 first began – you’d walk onto the show floor and have no idea what new games and new ideas you’d find as you traveled from booth to booth. That sense of wonder, of discovery, of sheer surprise…it was total gamer joy. But these days that sense of surprise and discovery has all but vanished from the E3 experience.

Which is why when Sony asked if we wanted to close out their E3 press conference by announcing the new Twisted Metal AND asked if we wanted to try to keep it a surprise…well, we were thrilled! An attempt at a good, old fashioned E3 surprise? Hells yes, baby! Sign us up!

Not sure if you missed the press conference but if you did, you can check out the surprise announce right here:

We know this is going to be the best Twisted Metal ever released. 16 players online, 2-4 player split screen, amazing new game modes, helicopters, motorcycles, sports cars, all battling it out in highly interactive levels with all the skill, speed, and strategy you could ask for! It’s been a long while since the last console Twisted Metal was released, but we think the wait will have been worth it. We’re crazy proud of the new game and are looking forward to entertaining all of the loyal TM fans as well as earning many new Twisted Metal devotees with this title.

But the game is not done yet. We’ve got a ways to go so we could really use your help. The game is playable on the show floor starting now. So if you’re able to get into E3 this year, please come to the Sony booth and give Twisted Metal a play. And then please hit us back on our brand new Eat Sleep Play forums with your likes, dislikes, issues, changes, fixes, etc. Whatever feedback we can get, we are grateful for. Early user feedback is one of the key things that turns a game into a classic. And we want this baby to be classic!

Ok, so that’s that. Twisted Metal is coming on Playstation 3! And we could not be more pleased! Now we’re off, into the bowels of the Los Angeles Convention Center to see the sites, play the games, and hey, who knows, perhaps discover a few surprises along the way! Stranger things have
happened!

Great to be back ya’ll! We missed you!

David Jaffe & Scott Campbell
Co-Founders Eat Sleep Play, Inc.

118 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ davivman on June 15th, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

I’ve been waiting for this game!

+ Unknown_Hero on June 15th, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

Couldn’t believe is at first! Amazing.

+ fedex682 on June 15th, 2010 at 2:02 pm said:

Jaffe You $#$#!@!$#@%$#@%$#!

I love it! finally I will have it on my PS3!

+ Korbei83 on June 15th, 2010 at 2:03 pm said:

You’re the man Dave. Good show.

+ Tasteemobile on June 15th, 2010 at 2:04 pm said:

I like your style, Jaffe.

Complete denial until the awesome reveal.

+ skynidas on June 15th, 2010 at 2:05 pm said:

AWESOMEEEEE.

lol I gotta admit that I was surprised, wasnt expecting this announcement with the things that you were saying on your blog. LMAO. Great job David.

+ AnthonyTonyMagic on June 15th, 2010 at 2:05 pm said:

And a jolly good surprise it was

Twisted Metal is looking good!

+ Black_Ryuk on June 15th, 2010 at 2:05 pm said:

David Jaffe is the biggest liar of all time from now till the end of time.

Despite that he’s still fricken awesome

+ MadBow on June 15th, 2010 at 2:05 pm said:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Marston43 on June 15th, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

+ xCertifiedKillax on June 15th, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

release date?

+ jayrockslife on June 15th, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

As soon as that taxi driver said “name a car combat game that exists on ps1, ps2, and ps3, you can’t cause it doesn’t exist,”
I turned and looked at my sister, with a grin on my face, and said “TWISTED METAL!”

AWESOME!

+ tdh004 on June 15th, 2010 at 2:08 pm said:

Ooooooh~! Jaffe you dirty dog! You’ve been denying this game for months! Well, I guess you had to, but MAN am I glad YOUR team is doing it!

I’ll be buying TWO copies FYI. 2 PS3s. 2 Siblings. 1 EPIC game to decide our fates!

+ wocyob on June 15th, 2010 at 2:09 pm said:

haha you tried to keep this a secrete… but i was shocked still by that fact that you said you were not asked to come to E3 on you blog lol….

awesome this is looking REALLLLLLY GOOOOOODD cant wait to here more and i hope my fav drivers are still there

+ explosive78 on June 15th, 2010 at 2:10 pm said:

good job on keepin the surprise. You shut the show down properly.

+ DNAgent on June 15th, 2010 at 2:11 pm said:

It looks awesome! Will there be a beta for this? If so, it will probably get me to purchase PSN+…Maybe.

+ Sponge-worthy on June 15th, 2010 at 2:11 pm said:

Looks fun

+ kdiep on June 15th, 2010 at 2:11 pm said:

Game looks way better than I expected and extremely interesting! Although, I know I’ll be having some extremely frustrating thoughts when those snipers are gonna kill me.

Anyway write up more blogs Jaffe! Your tweets ain’t that interesting :P. I’m kidding of course, I like your tweets but I love your blogs more and video blogs the most (it’s been a long time since last one).

Anyway congratulations on the reveal! And again it looks awesome! I hope there are race modes too though (like Full Auto 2 Battlelines)

+ BIGCHIEF on June 15th, 2010 at 2:12 pm said:

lol Jaffe, you said you weren’t at E3. Very nice surprise indeed!

+ Kchow23 on June 15th, 2010 at 2:13 pm said:

awesome stuff Jaffe

+ Blkant on June 15th, 2010 at 2:14 pm said:

If only I was there… If only I was there to play it T_T

+ Berae on June 15th, 2010 at 2:16 pm said:

Cant wait for this game!!! and i could not agree more about surprises and that sucks.

+ Demonic_Clown on June 15th, 2010 at 2:16 pm said:

I really hope its as dark and violent as Twisted Metal:Black was.

+ VanilaGorila-x- on June 15th, 2010 at 2:17 pm said:

Can’t wait. It looked F’n awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace,
VG

+ Fausk on June 15th, 2010 at 2:17 pm said:

The only thing I’m worried about is that it looks like there’s just different vehicles, no real distinct vehicles for each different character, like the classic entries in the game. It just looks like each car is a different “class” from a multiplayer shooter. You’ve got the motorcycles for more quick up close combat, the sports car for the sniper, the helicopter for just general mayhem.

I’m just worried the characters will lose some of their ‘unique’ identity they had, if they’re just having big gangs that go around. Hope there’s still a ‘classic’ mode planned.

+ Xoonaka on June 15th, 2010 at 2:18 pm said:

I really hate that you lied. Seriously, I don’t know why, but it bothers the hell out of me. I guess I should take it as good natured “No, I’m not throwing you a surprise party…” type lying… but it doesn’t feel like that… feels very self serving… I don’t know.

Glad you guys are working on a product you and millions of fans love. Hope you have nothing but success.

+ KUSHman666 on June 15th, 2010 at 2:18 pm said:

you couldnt fool me jaffe lol that mask from your blog was on sweet tooth in the announcement trailer. i knew you were up to something :D

BTW the live action stuff was reminiscent of OG TM videos, awesome stuff :)

+ megamixer on June 15th, 2010 at 2:20 pm said:

It’s about time! Been a long while since Head: On and Black! Just please, please make sure there is plenty of single-player content!

+ Killer2Kellz on June 15th, 2010 at 2:22 pm said:

sweet tooth is back and better then ever :)

+ Airwalkinman17 on June 15th, 2010 at 2:23 pm said:

2-4 online split screen a la warhawk FTW!!!
You guys did a phenomenal job of closing out the show.
BRAVO!!!

+ Poacher619 on June 15th, 2010 at 2:25 pm said:

My favorite announcement of E3. This should provides hours of fun in the future.

+ SPOPS on June 15th, 2010 at 2:28 pm said:

Jaffe is the freaking man. He had me so convinced that he was not making a new Twisted Metal

+ Hradekal on June 15th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

Jaffe you [DELETED]. Favorite PS franchise right here.

But… what’s up with the graphics and environments? Pre-Alpha I hope?

+ Kamahl_rg on June 15th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

looks awesome! looking forward to it!

+ notebook_holder on June 15th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

I thought you forgot about us. If you are able to answer me this. . . Will Calypso make a return and it seemed there were just factions in different vehicles which i like but will we see the playable characters like in twisted metal black (by far one of the best ones out there?)

+ Chipmunk686 on June 15th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

You definitely surprised me Jaffe! When you did operation surprise cover-up damage control(as I like to call it now), you had me convinced it wasn’t Twisted Metal. But I was watching G4 live of the conference and you blew me away. I am super excited and cannot wait! I’ve been a fan of TM since I was in grade school. Now I’m 24, lol.
The only suggestion I could think of is try to squeeze out as many bugs a reasonably possible. I’m a web developer so I have an idea of how hard it is and that its impossible to get all bugs and I know you guys will do an awesome job.
And I feel the same way you do about E3 surprises and I think you totally pulled it off!

+ MooCowsRevenge on June 15th, 2010 at 2:34 pm said:

I kept telling everybody that this was going to happen, and no one believed me, so at least all my friends were surprised!

+ Glacier928 on June 15th, 2010 at 2:36 pm said:

Awesome surprise Jaffe! The game is looking EPIC!

+ Dondada on June 15th, 2010 at 2:39 pm said:

Finally, another smash hit, franchise, console exclusive is BAAAAAACK!!!

+ FFObsessed on June 15th, 2010 at 2:40 pm said:

Best game at the conference.

I must admit I’ve not played a TM game before but I’ll be buying this one for sure.

+ Yayanator117 on June 15th, 2010 at 2:43 pm said:

This game looks REALLY! Awesome! XD

+ TH3_Hammer_29 on June 15th, 2010 at 2:44 pm said:

Best annoucement of the whole show, IMO.

+ BlackIceJoe on June 15th, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

I thought you said you were not working on Twisted Metal. I guess you were after all. I am super happy to see a new TM from you. Just at the same time I was looking forward to a new game from you. When you said you would be making a new IP. You have made great games like God of War & TM. So I was looking forward to what new thing you could think up. But this is still great news too.

One thing I want to know. When the trailer was shown it made it look like there would be a story mode or at least more of a back story. So does this TM game have a story?

That all being said TM looks awesome & can’t wait to play it.

+ SyphonFilter- on June 15th, 2010 at 2:58 pm said:

yes! i was worried it might not be TM that eatsleepplay was making,i am glad jaffe is back on TM.

+ dsigns209 on June 15th, 2010 at 2:58 pm said:

Day one purchase

+ piratedrunk on June 15th, 2010 at 2:59 pm said:

While I never believed you weren’t working on it I was extremely excited to see it finally revealed! Looks brilliant and I will be picking it up day one. Thanks!

+ TheThunder2008CA on June 15th, 2010 at 3:00 pm said:

The game looked amazing !!!

JAFFE I NEED THIS GAME NOW !!!!

+ Muhib786 on June 15th, 2010 at 3:02 pm said:

Gotta hand it to yeh Jaffe, that has gotta be one of the best E3 game announcements EVER!! BRAVO!! Now release the game already!!!

+ xiked on June 15th, 2010 at 3:02 pm said:

This is EPIC!

+ ColonelSeitan on June 15th, 2010 at 3:04 pm said:

So freaking excited about this, Jaff! I couldn’t contain myself when I heard the ice cream truck music playing…YESSSSSSSS!!

I had a feeling you were pulling one over on everyone with the recent comments about wishing you were developing a new TM. Good job, sir :) Can’t wait to try the game, keep it up chief!

PAGE 1 2 3