Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Jul 14

PlayStation minis: Over 1 Million Served

Susan Panico's Avatar Posted by Susan Panico on Jul 14, 2010 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Network

Today we’re pleased to announce that our smallest downloadable games have passed a very big milestone: over 1 million minis have been downloaded worldwide.

minis hits 1 million downloads

The minis line launched 9 months ago as a quick-to-download, bite-sized experience perfect for on-the-go PlayStation Portable gaming. There are now over 85 titles available on the PlayStation Store, and most are now playable on the PlayStation 3 as well as PSP.

So which minis have been downloaded the most? Here are your top 10 most popular titles:

1. Age of Zombies
  2. Monopoly
  3. Fieldrunners
  4. Zombie Tycoon
  5. Bloons
  6. Spot The Differences!
  7. Pinball Fantasies
  8. Mahjongg Artifacts: Chapter 2
  9. Yetisports Pengu Throw
  10. Breakquest

Many more minis are on the way, including Pacman CE from Namco Bandai Networks, so keep your eye on the PlayStation Store. Congratulations to all of our minis developers (over 50 in all), here’s to another million downloads!

PAGE 1 2

+ BlooodyCow on July 14th, 2010 at 9:35 am said:

congrats to all the mini developers and I hope you guys break even at least on these mini.

+ bmate1990 on July 14th, 2010 at 10:00 am said:

so what? I can’t get any of those games anyway

+ Lord_Rinja on July 14th, 2010 at 10:09 am said:

I never really looked into Minis until recently when I went to the Playstation Home Minis Event. I like the way the games are presented and I wound up purchasing Hero of Sparta. Can you guys make the Minis Event a permanent part of Home rather then being a temporary area? If you used a format similar to the space right now plus added new Kiosks for the new Minis that come out on Tuesday, I’m sure you would increase your sales even further.

Since the Minis are a nice, small file size, they are perfect for downloading while you are in Playstation Home. I like the Home format because you feel more like you are in a store. It enhances the overall presentation and virtual shopping experience. I also like the way the space informs people about some facts about Minis that they may not know about.

+ tigown on July 14th, 2010 at 10:13 am said:

Congrats guys, hope to see more great minis for PSN+

+ KazeEternal on July 14th, 2010 at 10:23 am said:

not a surprise that Age of Zombies and Field Runners are in the top 3 since they were just offered for free to PS+ Subscribers lol.

+ Wipeoutt31 on July 14th, 2010 at 10:26 am said:

Age of Zombies deserves a Game of the Year award.

+ BigBangBear on July 14th, 2010 at 10:28 am said:

I have been really enjoying a lot of the PSN content in general. Have really enjoyed Age of Zombies, Cubixx, and Echoes which I bought. Now I have Fieldrunners with my PS+ subscription. All great games. Keep them coming.

+ DTXSFC on July 14th, 2010 at 10:30 am said:

Can’t wait for Pac-Man CE. Hopefully Ms. Pac-Man will follow.

+ RDespair on July 14th, 2010 at 10:54 am said:

Hi, this is Robert Boyd at Zeboyd Games (makers of the RPGs, Breath of Death VII and the upcoming Cthulhu Saves the World).

We’re just a small company without a lot of money so we went for the platform with the lowest barrier of entry (XBox Live Indie Games). However, if Sony wanted to help us out with a dev kit and funding, we would be more than happy to support the PSP Mini platform. If interested, I can be contacted at [DELETED]. Thanks.

+ Sindred on July 14th, 2010 at 11:02 am said:

Hey guys, I dunno how much control you have of this, but I have an Iphone and some of the best games I have played on it could easily work as Minis (better with PSP controls in many cases) and are produced by Gameloft and Gamevil (one of which already produces for PSP and PS3), so what are the chances of getting games like Zenonia and Inotia as Minis?

+ Permafry_42 on July 14th, 2010 at 11:03 am said:

i still love me some balloons =D (those that know the reference are full of complete and utter win.)

+ megamixer on July 14th, 2010 at 11:17 am said:

I haven’t played a mini yet. The name “mini” alone repels me. And some of them cost as much as full fledged PSN games. It’s hard to take these things seriously… but that may just be me.

+ Hellman on July 14th, 2010 at 12:22 pm said:

Jeff sony needs to see if developers are willing to add trophies because if they do I’ll buy alot of minis! :)

+ CDubyahS on July 14th, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

Thanks for adding #1 and #3 to my PLUS colllection!

+ poodude on July 14th, 2010 at 12:50 pm said:

I’m a bit sad to see Freekscape isn’t up there :(.

+ tropicalskin on July 14th, 2010 at 1:00 pm said:

Way to go Sony!

+ NotoriousGamer on July 14th, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

Can u move the mini saves menu option from the xmb to inside the PS3 save option sub menu???

+ KongWen on July 14th, 2010 at 3:23 pm said:

It’s really too bad Tetris doesn’t work on PS3 yet. The main reason I bought it was because early press for the minis promised they would be playable on both systems. Alas. :(

+ g1m2_scott on July 14th, 2010 at 3:30 pm said:

Congratulations on hitting 1 Million copies sold!! We shipped three classic arcade games as PlayStation Minis in June including:

Lock ‘n’ Chase
Express Raider
Burnin’ Rubber (aka Bump ‘n’ Jump)

We are hoping to bring more classic arcade games and other titles to Minis as well!!

+ Enigma777 on July 14th, 2010 at 4:05 pm said:

Too bad most of the Minis suck or are downright too expensive. I can often get the exact same thing for a fraction of the price on my iphone.

+ DiscoJer on July 14th, 2010 at 4:37 pm said:

There is at least one RPG coming, except it’s not Japanese, it’s French. Steam Pirates it is called.

+ SOLIDSONIC75 on July 14th, 2010 at 4:38 pm said:

Awesome! Congratulations!

So when is Pac-Man Championship Edition going to be released? When is the Namco Museum Battle Collection going to hit the PSN Store as well?

+ DiscoJer on July 14th, 2010 at 4:52 pm said:

Still, on the flip side, you should note that Halfbrick, developer of Age of Zombies, has a game on the iPhone that was released a few months ago that has already sold over a million copies by itself.

And probably why we won’t be seeing any more Halfbrick games on the PSP….

+ DNAgent on July 14th, 2010 at 5:13 pm said:

Everyone should download Monsters Probably Stole My Princess. That is one of the best Minis I have ever played (so much so that I am hoping for a sequel; possibly even as a full PSN Game). Monsters Probably Stole My Princess is basically a platformer and a series of boss fights. It also has time trials and in-game trophies (not ones you show off over PSN but ones you can access within the game).

+ ImSoPaid650 on July 14th, 2010 at 8:46 pm said:

Bloons Is Not Bad

+ kabron23 on July 14th, 2010 at 9:27 pm said:

congratulations !!!!!! lets go for more millions ^_^

+ VTheGreat1 on July 14th, 2010 at 11:52 pm said:

“It just does everything…” Except play PSP games. It’s pretty disappointing that one title has pissed me off…and that is Final Fantasy 13. The game that should have came out for PS3 was the game made for the PSP…FINAL FANTASY DISSIDIA.

There are certainly games that we would play from the PSP on the PS3, and Dissidia is one. Since the team at Sony hasn’t gotten a creative bone in their body on what they should do to create a market for it, I will give you a freebie to make you guys millions – since you are so hard on selling PSP and keeping the consoles separate. You have the masses actually buy PSP games and be able to play them on PS3. Charge 5 dollars for the “downloadable ‘ok’ to play the PSP game on PS3 on the Play Station Network (Which will help sell those charge cards in Target)…so it will surge the PSP game sales without affecting PSP sales…which probably suck because PSP Go sucks. So instead of concentrating on Minis….do that instead.

+ Gxgear on July 15th, 2010 at 1:03 am said:

In other news, PSN+ reaches half million subscribers.

+ Adaplay on July 15th, 2010 at 1:44 pm said:

I have sneezies, brainpipe is awesome for those who love to trip out to awesome sounds and visuals, tetris, hysteria is cool, and music quiz, which isn’t very good..stick to Buzz. want pac man though.

+ therob21 on July 15th, 2010 at 8:30 pm said:

I love minis! It’s a good way to pass the time for my PSP. I only have three, but I promise I’ll be downloading more!

+ Yayanator117 on July 16th, 2010 at 11:40 am said:

+ KaneKaos89 on July 24th, 2010 at 4:00 am said:

your a whiner… the psp go is friggin awesome. anyone who thinks differently hasnt held one in their hands or they dont know what fun is anymore

+ kylexla2 on July 14th, 2010 at 7:23 am said:

Monopolys awesome

+ megalodonshark on July 14th, 2010 at 7:28 am said:

it is good to have alot of these smallish games. the price on most is fantastic and the games as a general rule are very fun and addictive.

+ NarcMonkey on July 14th, 2010 at 7:31 am said:

man, you guys really don’t need to emphasize your McDonalds mentality towards gaming any more than you already do. >_>

+ Heisem on July 14th, 2010 at 7:31 am said:

Age of Zombies is so awesome!

+ LokeSTL on July 14th, 2010 at 7:33 am said:

Question: Are there any turn-based menu driven RPG Minis yet?

I’m looking for something like Breath of Death VII(a DQ clone) that showed up on XBL a couple months back. Any info is appreciated.

+ Fallen_Guardian on July 14th, 2010 at 7:34 am said:

Thanks to PSN+ I have Age of Zombies and Fieldnrunners, both are great games that should be bought. The future of PS Minis looks bright with titles like “WHERE’S MY HEART?” and etc.

+ JetSetFuture on July 14th, 2010 at 7:34 am said:

I got Age of Zombies and Fieldrunners as part of my Plus subscription, and I love them! I also dig Breakquest and the Hysteria Project. I’m looking forward to more Minis, particularly ones based on arcade classics or old-school console games.

Susan Panico's Avatar

+ Scott Hawkins on July 14th, 2010 at 3:35 pm said:

We released three classic arcade games as Minis including:

Lock ‘n’ Chase
    Express Raider
    Burnin’ Rubber (aka “Bump ‘n’ Jump”)

We hope to bring more classics to Minis as well!!

+ Fallen_Guardian on July 14th, 2010 at 7:36 am said:

I wish Sony would make Minis for their PS Franchises, like Ratchet and Clank, Sly cooper, LBP, and etc.

Ohh and the God of War mobile title could be turned into a PS Mini, that way more people could play the game :)

+ Razer922 on July 14th, 2010 at 7:36 am said:

Planning on picking up Monopoly in the next day or two for a roadtrip on Friday.
And Pac-Man CE will be a mini? Awesome! I’m hoping it’ll be PS3/PSP and not just PSP only like Tetris, but I’m looking forward to it either way.

+ psyXcho on July 14th, 2010 at 7:36 am said:

you forgot to mention that 500,000 of these were within the past two weeks by PS+ subscribers ;) I kid, congrats

+ xuipid on July 14th, 2010 at 7:37 am said:

+ Kenshin71 on July 14th, 2010 at 7:37 am said:

Not a mini but you should give a shout out to Hello Games too who recently revealed at the Develop conference they broke even on their first day of Joe Danger sales and passed 50,000 in a week. Nice little success story for them.

+ ProjectInfiniti on July 14th, 2010 at 7:38 am said:

Free mini for everyone in celebration of 1 million? Do it! :D

+ Jeigh on July 14th, 2010 at 7:38 am said:

I’d be interested to see what numbers Fieldrunners and Age of Zombies were at before PS+. All the same, they’re fun games, and AoZ had some hilarious moments.

@ NarcMonkey (3)

I’m not exactly sure how that tracks. In fact, I’d say that’s the exact opposite of the truth. PS3 exclusives aren’t ‘out the door as quickly as possible.’ They aren’t ‘rushed.’ In fact, PS3 exclusives have been shown to be of the highest quality. What the hell you’re talking about is beyond me, which leads me to believe you’re whining about something specific and trying to apply it to their entire business model.

+ zombie9 on July 14th, 2010 at 7:49 am said:

Havent bought one yet LOL :)

But PAC-MAN The frist game I ever played back in 84 Those were the days. might have to pick that one up. :)

+ texas_ride on July 14th, 2010 at 7:50 am said:

I have the two that were part of PS Plus, otherwise non of the Minis i got are on the list :( but i like the concept and the fact that they are playable on PS3. keep up the good work.

+ Destiny89 on July 14th, 2010 at 7:58 am said:

I liked Fieldrunners

+ Jim777 on July 14th, 2010 at 8:03 am said:

Congrats, keep pumping out good minis :)

PAGE 1 2