PS4-Infamous

Ted Price Interview

James Gallagher's Avatar + Posted by James Gallagher on Aug 19, 2010 // Blog Manager, SCEE

I’ve been a supporter of Insomniac Games ever since I played Spyro the Dragon on the original PlayStation that still sits proudly beneath my TV. Therefore, it was a genuine Pleasure to meet the company’s President, Ted Price, at gamescom in Cologne.

First of all, I was keen to hear how it felt to finally spill the beans on the two PlayStation 3 games, Ratchet & Clank All 4 One and Resistance 3, that they have been secretly working on.

Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One [Gamescon 2010]

“It’s a relief!” Ted replied. “Our fans are very vocal on the forums about what we’re doing and now we can finally confirm that we are making these games and that they are going to be awesome.”

It has been a huge year for Insomniac Games an I was also set on finding out how important it felt for them to reassure PlayStation fans of their commitment to their big first parties IPs.

“We’ve had such a great relationship with Sony over the years that we felt it very important to remind people that we’re still great partners and that we still have great franchises that we’re working on,” he said. “What we’re going to see what from Ratchet & Clank and Resistance is going to be fresh; I think that we’ve demonstrated that at the SCEE press conference.”

Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One [Gamescon 2010]

I started asking about Resistance and asked why they have opted to debut the game via a live action trailer.

“That was really to set the tone; to give people a taste of what of what’s coming with Resistance,” he said. I asked whether this is something we can expect to see in the full game but, with a smile, was told that we’re not talking about that.

Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One [Gamescon 2010]

So, moving onto Ratchet & Clank All 4 One, I asked where the idea of co-operative gameplay was borne.

“Co-operative gameplay is something we have been talking about for a long time. We have experience with co-op with Resistance and it’s a natural fit for Ratchet because there are so many people who love to play Ratchet & Clank games with friends or siblings, and we have so many characters that naturally work well together. However, I have to tell you that this is being made by Insomniac North Carolina and I’m sitting back and helping with advice here and there, but they’re really driving this.”

Ratchet and Clank: All Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One [Gamescon 2010] One

It was hinted in the press conference that the game would be ‘co-op with a competitive edge,’ so I asked Ted to elaborate on this.

“You saw it today where all of the players are collecting bolts and earning points, and we’re not talking about what they’re going to do with what they collect right now, but you can interpret quite a bit from what you see.”

It was there we left. It was a pleasure to meet one of my gaming heroes and I’m in an eternal state of wonder over what Insomniac Games will do next. In case you’re wondering too, here’s another look at the two trailers they released at gamescom:

43 Comments

+ Sohokan on August 19th, 2010 at 8:02 am said:

Insomniac will rule 2011
with R&C and R3
i wonder whats there new multiplat game
and when will it be release

+ dimaguire on August 19th, 2010 at 8:03 am said:

second!!! pre-ordering resistance asap. insomniac ftw

+ StargamerX on August 19th, 2010 at 8:04 am said:

Awesome, Insomniac Games is one of my favorite developers. Can’t wait for both games next year! :)

+ Toke_Buddy on August 19th, 2010 at 8:21 am said:

I have a question I hope answerd. Can you confirma a QA for Resistance 3??? Please say yes. x)

+ KidCommando on August 19th, 2010 at 8:26 am said:

“What we’re going to see from Ratchet & Clank and Resistance is going to be fresh.”

Thank you Mr. Price

+ BigBoss712 on August 19th, 2010 at 8:27 am said:

Thanks for the interview, always great things from Insomniac, really liked the Resistance 3 teaser, heard the game has been in development for 2 years already, glad they are really thinking their time on this one. :) Ratchet also looked real nice, 4 player co-op is gonna be sweet.

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on August 19th, 2010 at 8:31 am said:

Resistance 3 already!
i own every games you made.
Good “secret” job Devs!
Insomniac Games = Top Quality Games

Long live to Insomniac Games!

syncerly CYB3RFR343K

+ RiCaN__86 on August 19th, 2010 at 8:31 am said:

This game looks awsome its hard to find good games out there that let you play 4 player coop offline im really going to add this to my wish list cant wait.

+ Destiny89 on August 19th, 2010 at 8:37 am said:

Love you guys at Insomniac, im a huge Ratchet and Clank Fan so knowing a new RnC is coming to PS3 have made my day plus Resistance epic! cant wait for both games

+ Mercenary09 on August 19th, 2010 at 8:41 am said:

Glad to see the 2 new games Insomniac! Can’t wait to see what kind of creative things you guys have planned for Resistance 3

+ trapper12 on August 19th, 2010 at 8:52 am said:

Thank you Insomniac for all your hard work. Can’t wait to play both R&C: All 4 one and Resistance 3.

+ LightAce on August 19th, 2010 at 8:57 am said:

Please let R3 have a coop story mode. It was the one thing missing from R2 that I really wish you had kept. That and the weapon wheel.

+ lillington on August 19th, 2010 at 8:58 am said:

Come on -> Give us 3D support for Resistance 3 :)

+ jimmyfoxhound on August 19th, 2010 at 8:59 am said:

Insomniac is total quality! I’ve never been let down by their stuff. Thanks for all the great stuff you guys do! Can’t wait for these games.

+ mrpaulryan on August 19th, 2010 at 9:11 am said:

I’m not much for Ratchet & Clank. I wish they’d do an HD remake of all the Spyro the Dragon games. Or create new ones.

+ Link01 on August 19th, 2010 at 9:26 am said:

ARRRGG, I want to know if they’re going back to the horror feel of R1 with R3

+ SykoTech on August 19th, 2010 at 9:29 am said:

Thanks guys. My brother and I absolutely love Ratchet & Clank. We’ve been playing R&C since the PS2 days, and it’s going to be awesome to play All 4 One cooperatively.

Keep the platformer love flowing, Insomniac!

+ hehe1 on August 19th, 2010 at 9:42 am said:

AWESOME!!! can’t wait for R&C especially because of co-op since I always love to play it with my siblings and friends :D

Insomniac is my facvorite developer because R&C is my favorite game :P

+ BrainSpillage on August 19th, 2010 at 9:57 am said:

so do we have a release date?

+ poodude on August 19th, 2010 at 10:13 am said:

Ted Price is awesome, I can’t wait for Resistance 3!

+ dusek on August 19th, 2010 at 10:16 am said:

resistance 3 trailer looks awesome!

+ Berae on August 19th, 2010 at 10:20 am said:

Cant wait for these 2 games! I just hope Resistance 3 will be different.

+ dusek on August 19th, 2010 at 10:40 am said:

When does resistance 3 come out?

+ dusek on August 19th, 2010 at 10:42 am said:

Will Resistance 3 have move support?

+ digitalman123 on August 19th, 2010 at 10:58 am said:

I’ve been with Insomniac since the beginning! Literally! My first game I ever played was Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage! Hands down, Spyro games were the best PSone games ever! Can’t wait for Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One! Can you make a Spyro collection of all 3 PSone games on a PS3 disc? Like God of War and Sly Cooper, a Spyro collection would be amazing! R&C is also a really amazing series! Can’t wait till Fall 2011! (P.S. I’d mention Resistance 2, but I’m not very far in it! Awesome so far though!)

+ zekececil14 on August 19th, 2010 at 11:20 am said:

Does it use the ACIT graphics engine?

+ Airwalkinman17 on August 19th, 2010 at 11:58 am said:

Both games look incredible. R&C looks very polished. That Resistance 3 trailer has incredible atmosphere and an “impending doom-like” tone to it. Loved every bit of it. R3 looks to be EPIC!

+ PuppetShoJustice on August 19th, 2010 at 12:49 pm said:

He stresses the NC office while talking about R&C almost as though he isn’t terribly sure of their quality of work.

Love R&C but I’m skeptical of the new studio in North Carolina.

+ Ecks on August 19th, 2010 at 12:51 pm said:

I love Ratchet & Clank, but not sold on the co-op gameplay. I really am not interested in playing a game designed around co-op. I’m hoping there is still a solid single-player experience.

+ krae_man on August 19th, 2010 at 1:02 pm said:

I’m very worried about the Ratchet and Clank game. Everyone who makes single player games that arn’t 40+ hours ala Fallout 3 or FFXIII is freaking out over the used market.

“How do we get people to not trade the game back into gamestop the second they have beaten our 8-10 hour game?” is the thing every developer is trying to figure out.

The answer de jour right now is “add capture the flag and Deathmatch modes”. Personally I despise that solution. It may convince the budget overlords to greenlight the project, but in my opinion it has a negative effect on the overall product in every situation.

Add co-op is the next most popular solution right now and I think it has more promise but I really think developers need to come up with a different solution then add multiplayer to single player games.

+ WolfX23 on August 19th, 2010 at 1:54 pm said:

i love the ratchet an clank games. my prayers have been answered! co-op!

+ darthlego on August 19th, 2010 at 3:13 pm said:

I don’t know why some people commenting on the new R&C game are so opposed to it. How is this any different from when they made Deadlock? I am sure that the main series will continue eventually, and that this spin-off will be great.

I can’t wait for this game. I have loved every single R&C game so far, and I am pretty sure I will love this one too.

+ that-acmilan-guy on August 19th, 2010 at 3:13 pm said:

I loved the teaser, i hope it shows how Resistance 3 is more about survival and watching ur brothers and sister’s back as true resistance fighters rather than special ops guys and about fighting wars.

+ GAM3R_16 on August 19th, 2010 at 4:13 pm said:

I’ve never played a Resistance Game before but for some reason I really feel like playing one now! :D

+ Jeigh on August 19th, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

My expectations are justifiably high with these guys, but I’m going to try not to get my hopes too far up. Looking at All 4 One, I get the feeling it’s in the same line as Quest 4 Booty- more of a budget title than a full-fledged game, though I could be mistaken.

What I’m going to be interested in is what the multiplatform title turns out to be- then I can figure out how they’re dividing up their attention.

+ Jeigh on August 19th, 2010 at 4:18 pm said:

By the way, doesn’t “Four 4 One” have more of a R&C vibe to it? Some tongue-in-cheek humor right in the title? (See because 4 is technically used twice… hahahaha… well, it’s funni-er!)

+ Jeigh on August 19th, 2010 at 4:19 pm said:

Oh, right and they’re ALL NUMBERS! Ha.ha.ha….. dammit, I’m funny!

+ wolfzero1 on August 19th, 2010 at 4:20 pm said:

can’t wait to see what new weapons show up in these games

+ darthlego on August 19th, 2010 at 6:48 pm said:

If you pick up the weapons in-game, I wonder what all the bolts are for.

+ Tetsumura on August 19th, 2010 at 8:07 pm said:

Hmm….

Resistance 1 was so rough with the hand controller that I grew to loathe it, as well as Uncharted 1. I bought both sequels but have yet to play either. If R3 includes Move support, that will increase my interest… some. Or KB/mouse this time guys??

Ratchet & Clank are my main Insomniac addiction. But this? Huh… I’m with a few posters above me. Not into co-op oriented games, so this has to have a good single player game. And it looks like another Heroes On The Move, some kind of PSN game. If this is THE R&C game for 2011, I’m going to be ill…

Oh well, here’s hoping.

+ Tetsumura on August 19th, 2010 at 8:47 pm said:

One more thing.

PLEASE tell me David Bergeaud is returning to do the music in these new games. Boris was just… kinda boring.

+ Edd on August 20th, 2010 at 3:59 am said:

MOVE SUPPORT FOR RESISTANCE 3 AND ALL 4 ONE, MAKE IT HAPPEN INSOMNIAC! pleeeeeaaaase :)

+ iceychill56 on August 29th, 2010 at 6:55 pm said: