Overwatch

Sep 20

Sep 20

DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue Available Tonight, Free DLC for Decisive Purchasers

Chris Mitchell's Avatar Posted by DeathSpank Designer

Greetings citizens! This is Chris Mitchell from Hothead Games brimming over with tales of DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue!

DeathSpank: Thongs Of Virtue is our wonderful, full-figured sequel to DeathSpank but with more and better everything. Of course you and everyone you associate with will know that DeathSpank is our hilarious, exciting, highly rated action-RPG mixed with adventure gameplay. Some describe the series as “Diablo meets Monkey Island” but I’d rather describe it as “DeathSpank-Like”.

DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue

No doubt by now you’ve played through your multiple copies of the original DeathSpank game (thanks for buying those by the way) and wonder how we can possibly top the tooth and nail action? We wondered too but luckily we had a brainstorm. We took DeathSpank’s patented sword fighting action and added….guns! Guns in a video game? It’s crazy I know, but in the course of his new adventure entirely too many grenades, guns and bombs will be used in the search for Justice. Statistically speaking at least some of them will even be used correctly.

Oh and speaking of adventure, DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue has even more adventure gameplay woven in with the slashing, bullet-shooting exciting combat. Many brains will be teased, fortune cookies opened and possibly internet FAQs consulted by our players in the name of a puzzling good time. DeathSpank: TOV was made at the same time as DeathSpank so we were able to take lessons learned on DeathSpank and craft an even better game with deeper adventure gameplay.

DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue

Naturally his enemies are pretty well armed themselves with heavy machine guns, airstrikes and the latest in monocle technology to keep things nice and perky. The enemies are far more varied themselves and the bosses (if I may be so bold) are just excellent. We now have many times the number of big bosses that must die at your hand.

This sequel also gave us a nice chance to go all Michael Bay on things. Everything is bigger and more explody. You get a far larger world to adventure in and incredible environments and holiday-themed terrors that need to be filled with holes. There’s more quests that need to be done and more varied quests as well I should add. Oh and what’s this? A pirate ship? Yes DeathSpank gets to go a-plundering thanks to his ally Captain Taint, scourge of various seas.

DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue

Naturally DeathSpank’s not the sort of guy to adventure alone, friends of yours (or mine, I won’t judge) can jump in and jump out of co-op action using classic Sparkles or the all new Steve! Steve Von Prong was raised by multi-level marketing ninjas in the deadly ways of the unicorn. If you figure out what that means, please let us know as we’re quite curious.

Gamers who purchase DeathSpank: T.O.V. in its first week will also receive two pieces of free downloadable content: the Snowy Mountain Dungeon, a terrifying, ice-covered dungeon frozen in the North Pole where evil enemies of ice, flesh and terror dwell and a new playable co-op character, Sidekick Tankko. Half-man, half-spider and all awesome, Sidekick Tankko is a deadly warrior who spews mighty clouds of poison and entraps enemies with his inescapable web attacks.

DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue

That’s all I’ve got for now but I await questions! Let me have it internet and you will have answers in return. They may not be good answers but you get what you pay for around here.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

BalramRules said:

September 20th, 12:05 pm

FIRST!!!!
DeathSpank sounds like a weird name, but hey, “Never Judge A Video Game By Its Box Art!” XD

that-acmilan-guy said:

September 20th, 12:10 pm

i just bought death spank, its awesome! Its so hilarious!

ElektroDragon said:

September 20th, 12:10 pm

I’d buy this immediately if I didn’t already play and finish the first one on 360 instead. What a great game! I really hope this means that we get the 360 version on Wednesday. Ahh, the pains of being a multi-console owner!!!

katherto said:

September 20th, 12:11 pm

Quite fortunate we’ll be receiving the PSN update tonight rather than tomorrow. Happy early birthday to me I suppose :p

SpyDudeFX said:

September 20th, 12:12 pm

Does the DLC offer additional trophies? Does TOV recognize the original and import your items and level? I guess no discounts for owners of the first? The reason I ask is because I know you will eventually a bundle of both games for $24.99 or less.

skynidas said:

September 20th, 12:12 pm

I’mk definitely getting this tonight.

jonathan_val said:

September 20th, 12:13 pm

I PURCHASE THE FIRST GAME…IS A BLAST!!!
I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE SECOND!!!
DAY 1 FOR ME :)

SpyDudeFX said:

September 20th, 12:14 pm

Oh yeah on the 360 you offered avatar unlockables like a Unicorn Poop shirt. Any chance you will offer unlockables for PlayStation Home? Show PS3 some love too.

Chris Mitchell's Avatar

Chris Mitchell said:

September 20th, 4:39 pm

We want to SpyDudeFX, we really do but can’t do it…yet. We have a PSN demo at least! For now all I can do is steer you towards our website and our award-winning DEATHSPAM to get freebies for good fans like yourself.

Sindred said:

September 20th, 12:15 pm

Definitely be picking this up. One of the better surprises of this year was DS.

Cobra1 said:

September 20th, 12:16 pm

Greetings Crazy HotHead Developer Guy! I have played your first game and look forward to saving more thongs! And I’ll have a Taco Please! With chicken, black beans and corn tortilla! And make it Spicy!!

Chris Mitchell's Avatar

Chris Mitchell said:

September 20th, 4:39 pm

Well if you want more thongs than this is the game for you! We’re chock full of thongs to cover DeathSpank’s mighty junk, if only he can seize them! The thongs, not the junk.

Draicus said:

September 20th, 12:16 pm

Loved the first one. Definitely going to be buying this one as well. It seems a little soon, but hell, never can have too much of a good thing, right?

Any carryover between the two games, character wise?

Plmnjedi said:

September 20th, 12:17 pm

love this game hope its free like it sez ;)

Stoffinator said:

September 20th, 12:19 pm

I loved the demo, but $15 for this game is way to much IMO.

abukii said:

September 20th, 12:19 pm

I will spam your 800 number with mighty justice, Evil Doer!!
LoL…I will press 2 to vanquish evil and I will traverse your frosty dungeons with diligence…

Ok, seriously, Ill buy this :)

Chuckbait said:

September 20th, 12:24 pm

A sequel, eh? So you were developing this and the original at the same time? How does that work out, that you release the sequel a few months after the original drops…? May I suggest that perhaps the first title was twice as expensive as it should have been- or maybe it just lacked half the content….

YOOESSAY111 said:

September 20th, 12:24 pm

Day one buy. Thought about waiting for the 360 version, but, as all 360s do, it went RROD on me at the weekend. Utter POS. This is why I prefer my PS3 more nowadays.

Keep the games coming Hothead, loved the first one.

TheTwelve said:

September 20th, 12:24 pm

LOL…I’m sold.

Plmnjedi said:

September 20th, 12:24 pm

i will dispatch many an enemy with my bullets of JUSTICE !!!!!!!!!!!

dragonmagician said:

September 20th, 12:27 pm

Wished there was a way to carry over my character from the first game, and raise the level cap to 40. It doesn’t sound like there is any bonus for people who brought the first game at all.

BigBadBob113 said:

September 20th, 12:34 pm

Two questions.

First, if there is a co-op mode, is it much improved over the first game? Having Sparkles was good and all, but he was so limited that it wasn’t all that fun, since he couldn’t equip or level stats and whatnot.

Secondly, about how much gametime is in the campaign? I loved the first DeathSpank, but felt the game was a bit short. Is the sequel shorter, just as long, or longer?

Chris Mitchell's Avatar

Chris Mitchell said:

September 20th, 4:42 pm

Co-op in TOV is way better, and it’s all thanks to Steve. You’ll see it when you play it but Steve is twice the man Sparkles is and at least four times the unicorn.

Chris Mitchell's Avatar

Chris Mitchell said:

September 20th, 4:44 pm

Oops, missed your second question. DeathSpank TOV is about 50% longer than the first game thanks to it’s larger world, more bosses and the most pirate filled, treasure hunting seas that Captain Taint can provide.

Fuzzysdb said:

September 20th, 12:38 pm

First game was fun… for a while. Then it got boring and repetitive and boring and repetitive. I only finished it to complete the game tape.

I was really expecting more after the fantastic (and under rated) Penny Arcade games.

Sarno1605 said:

September 20th, 12:39 pm

lets just hope its not $15. LMAO

Sindred said:

September 20th, 12:43 pm

It’ll be 20 bucks for you, Sarno1605, heheheh :)

Dumad said:

September 20th, 12:45 pm

I hope is more like $10 since is an add on the main deathspank…

Still I need this TOV, the humor on the game is absolute gold!

Arcadian_Rebel said:

September 20th, 12:52 pm

Looks great! Loved the original, and with these new features I’ll be sure to pick this one up.

What’s the price, though? Hopefully $10 since it is a “sequel”. :)

plaztiksyke said:

September 20th, 12:54 pm

I have some of the same questions above, and then some more:
1. Can we import our character/save from the first game like in Penny Arcade Adventures?

2. Does this game still render in native 1080p? Is the screen tearing fixed? Will said screen tearing fixes, if they exist, be patched into the original?

3. Ron Gilbert posted on his blog about “puzzle battles” where you had to use the right weapons and not just button mash. Does TOV reintroduce that feature which was left out of the first game?

4. Will the additional co-op player make for deeper/alternate solutions to puzzles? I hope it’s not just another button mashing extravaganza…

5. Any cameos by Gabe/Tycho/T. Kemper/etc?

I’ll gladly pay another $15, or even $20, if the game addresses the above requests. A platinum trophy wouldn’t hurt, either ;)

Chris Mitchell's Avatar

Chris Mitchell said:

September 20th, 4:47 pm

Ron’s post about puzzle battles is realized very nicely in DeathSpank’s battle versus the ancient Gods in DeathSpank TOV. I can’t give too much away but your adventure game performance affects the fight directly so suddenly all that dialog you’ve been laughing along with suddenly matters!

plaztiksyke said:

September 20th, 12:55 pm

BTW, why are the screenshots 1600×900? and what is with all the aliasing artifacts in said screenshots? Please tell us the graphical quality hasn’t gone down over the first game!

ShatteredRaven77 said:

September 20th, 12:56 pm

I love the first game and haven’t beaten it yet. Once i do that, i’ll get Thongs of Virtue. Looks pretty awesome!

SpyDudeFX said:

September 20th, 12:56 pm

The game is $14.99 and there are 13 trophies and no Platinum.

survivorof911 said:

September 20th, 12:57 pm

this is off topic, but when are gonna talk about ps3 firmware 3.50?

ethostar said:

September 20th, 1:05 pm

Pssh, $15 is completely worth it. You’ll play $60 for games that don’t have 4 times the content. I adored the original DeathSpank, bring it on!

Although I’ll gladly pay the $15, I have to ask: Playstation Plus discount?

Chris Mitchell's Avatar

Chris Mitchell said:

September 20th, 4:48 pm

This person right here. Someone marry Ethostar, if they’re already married just send them a nice card. Ethostar ‘gets it’.

KongWen said:

September 20th, 1:08 pm

I’ll get this and the original when they drop to $7.49-$9.99.

ThaRunnas said:

September 20th, 1:10 pm

please respone back… i know this is off topic but please tell me we getting blacklight tango down this update

X_Weapon said:

September 20th, 1:13 pm

The first DeathSpank will be on sale any time soon (or at least bundled with this second episode?)?

PuppetShoJustice said:

September 20th, 1:15 pm

Deathspank was an okay game but became dull too quickly for me to want to play an unpolished sequel.

There is -no- way enough changes have been made to combat to make the game feel fresh. And without that added depth to combat I’m just not willing to give you guys more money for the rest of the story.

crazy_e_123 said:

September 20th, 1:22 pm

dude wen does the psn store update bc over here its 3:30 wen does the psn store update bc im dying to get this game

TwinDad said:

September 20th, 1:25 pm

I got the awesome privileged of playing this at PAX. I’m ready for slaying in the name of Justice tonight.

Arggh. Monday Night Football. Justice will have to wait until tomorrow night. It’s okay my wife will download and play it tonight. She played through the original 3 times and wants TOV since she played it at PAX too.

Chris Mitchell's Avatar

Chris Mitchell said:

September 20th, 4:51 pm

Thanks for coming to Pax! Showing the game off was a real highlight for everyone after so long working on it. Also we gave away underwear which was a nice change from the usual stuff we do.

ExPresident said:

September 20th, 1:33 pm

Really enjoying Deathspank so this is gonna be fun I’m sure. That being said you should have listed the price, I’d like to know if your touting free DLC for early purchases but tack on the price in the cost of this?

MrAdam5 said:

September 20th, 1:34 pm

Jeez, DeathSpank, Blade Kitten, and RDR DLC… Sadly this will probably have to wait for an inevitable seasonal sale with its (rumored?) $15 price tag. At $10 it might be a day-one purchase, but then again I still have to finish the first one. :/

joseph2411 said:

September 20th, 1:40 pm

Good evening Deathspank Designer with videogame character like writing skills. I just wanted to tell you that i got the 1st Deathspank and i’ll be getting this one too…yes cause game is that awesome! lol talking about questions i just wanted to know if you could help me with knowing how much time will i spend into this sequel (yes maybe i know the answer to my own question…a lot) but how big is this game’s map in comparison with the 1st game? Thanks for helping this humble citizen.

I’m Ready to dispense some justice & vanquish some evil! :)

Chris Mitchell's Avatar

Chris Mitchell said:

September 20th, 4:52 pm

Well Joseph 2411 (and I can see from here you’re not like the other 2410 Joseph’s) the game is about 50% bigger overall with more varied environments, more kinds of enemies that need killing and quests that need doing.

Rayziel said:

September 20th, 1:51 pm

I loved the first one, so lets find a psn card ASAP!

crazy_e_123 said:

September 20th, 1:58 pm

does anyone no wen the store updates central time

xNemesiSx said:

September 20th, 2:24 pm

This game was very good and worth every penny. Very fun and i will get this DLC either free or payingm i dont know whats the price.

BlooodyCow said:

September 20th, 2:39 pm

I will wait for a bundle in the future.

crazy_e_123 said:

September 20th, 2:41 pm

is it out yet

pipking01 said:

September 20th, 2:58 pm

Does one have to play the first to enjoy the second? I passed on the original, but for some reason I like the vibe of this one a lot more.

Chris Mitchell's Avatar

Chris Mitchell said:

September 20th, 4:54 pm

DeathSpank TOV is a totally separate game from the original DeathSpank. It continues the story but you don’t have to play the original to enjoy the second game.

That said, it would be just super if you’d play both. Nine out of ten people that play both games grow hair in places they’ve never had hair before. I read that online so it must be true by now.

radiocaf said:

September 20th, 3:01 pm

Free DLC exclusive content? Count me in!

crazy_e_123 said:

September 20th, 3:08 pm

where is it

radiocaf said:

September 20th, 3:14 pm

Don’t delete my comments Sony! I will post ’em again!

The1stMJC said:

September 20th, 3:20 pm

Don’t know if I want to put another $15 into Deathspank this soon. I will probably pick this up later down the road.
The 1st Deathsank after a couple hours just felt like a grind and the jokes were hitting less and less.

Just need a break from Deathspank.

PAGE 1 2