PS4 - Transistor

Ubisoft’s Upcoming PSN Games: Beyond Good & Evil HD, Scott Pilgrim DLC, and more

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Sep 30, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Yesterday, Ubisoft held its first dever “Digital Day,” a showcase for the publisher’s upcoming crop of PSN titles. In addition to the games – From Dust, Outland, Beyond Good & Evil HD and Scott Pilgrim DLC – Ubisoft also revealed future Facebook integration for titles like the upcoming Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood.

In the Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood example shown, you’ll be able to train and interact with your guild of assassins on Facebook (while at work, for example), and then have that experience translate back into the PS3 version of the game, and vice versa. “You will continue to see brands like Assassin’s Creed across all content types,” Ubisoft VP of Digital Publishing Chris Early told us. “We want the player to experience the brands whenever and however they want.”

We also went hands on with the titles listed above. Here are some quick recaps:

Beyond Good & Evil HD

Beyond Good & Evil HD for PS3 (PSN)

Perhaps the biggest news of the evening was final confirmation that the PS2 fan favorite and cult classic Beyond Good & Evil will be re-released as a downloadable PSN title. Beyond Good & Evil HD will render at an ultra-crisp 1080p HD resolution with higher-resolution textures and a smoother frame rate, plus online leaderboards. These enhancements will make Beyond Good & Evil HD the definitive version of the game.

Originally released on the PS2 in 2003, Beyond Good & Evil is a story-based adventure game that takes place in the year 2435 on a distant mining planet called Hyllis. You play as Jade, a local photojournalist who seeks to expose a corrupt government agency that has allied itself with a race of dangerous aliens called the DomZ, who have taken to abducting and enslaving the locals. Jade and her band of colorful sidekicks must expose the plot and save Hyllis, while uncovering a tangled web of conspiracies along the way.

Aside from its sumptuous visual design, Beyond Good & Evil HD is noted for its diverse gameplay styles: close-combat battles with Jade’s staff; sneaking past guards in stealth sequences that would make Solid Snake wince; snapping photos of rare life forms to earn cash; hoverboat piloting, puzzle solving, massive boss battles and more. Beyond Good & Evil HD is scheduled to hit PSN sometime in 2011, so stay tuned for more details. -Sid

Scott Pilgrim DLC

Soon you’ll have a reason to jump back into August’s #1 PSN title: Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game. Knives Chau (17 years old) is the highlight of an upcoming DLC pack, as you’ll finally be able to play as the Scott-obsessed high schooler.

Scott Pilgrim

Those of you who have played the game know that Knives is the summon-able helper for Scott, Ramona, Kim, and Stills, so I was wondering if she’d summon… herself? Actually, a tap of the L1 button sends either her sword-wielding father or tracksuited mom into the fray to help out.

The $1.99 DLC pack also includes Dodgeball and Battle Royale modes, and 3 new Knives-related Trophies. A free patch will introduce drop in co-op – no need to wait til the end of the level to get some help – as well as various bug fixes and tweaking. To me, an experienced player in this game, the ‘Average Joe’ difficulty level felt a lot less punishing than in the initial release.

Look for both the patch and DLC to become available in early November, to coincide with the Blu-ray release of Scott Pilgrim vs The World. -Jeff

From Dust

This upcoming PSN “God game” gives you nearly limitless control over the terrain and physical structure of an environment – the ultimate sandbox game, if you will. The goal is to protect a long-forgotten island tribe from elemental threats, and in the process, help them remember their past and their identity. No pressure!

From Dust for PS3 (PSN)

From Dust for PS3 (PSN)From Dust for PS3 (PSN)

Creator Éric ChahiI (much celebrated for his pioneering work on Out of This World and PSone classic Heart of Darkness gave me a private demonstration of the core mechanics in From Dust. I watched as he effortlessly molded the terrain and surfaces of an island environment using an interface that will be familiar to fans of ModNation Racer’s Track Studio tools. Chahil raised and lowered terrain with a quick button press, and the terrain responded realistically, as water pooled into crevices or spilled back into the surf. The visuals are undeniably impressive: water ripples and undulates, lava oozes menacingly, sand crumbles convincingly.

These natural elements serve as a painter’s palette in your efforts to protect the tribe from natural disasters and help them on their quest. If a nearby magma-spewing volcano threatens the tribe, you can suck up a large sphere of water from the ocean to put out the fires. In a river is threatening to drown the tribe, you might build a dam with gobs of earth or sand to redirect the rapids. The final game will feature a variety of environments, including deserts, islands, and more. Chahil is leaving the door open for possible PlayStation Move support post-launch, and it would seem to be a great fit for this ambitious title. Look for it on PSN in 2011. -Sid

Outland

This visually striking PSN title combines elements of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (sword-based action-adventure with platforming) with “Bullet Hell” games such as Gundemonium.

Outland

Outland’s story is still tightly under wraps, but I learned some cryptic clues. Despite the fantastical landscape you — surprise! — play as a modern-day character. Plagued by nightmarish visions, you wander the jungle and stumble across ruins of an ancient civilization, in the process learning about your role in a timeless battle between Light and Dark. How, and why, you are chosen is a key riddle in the game that will be revealed as you discover hieroglyphics scattered throughout the ancient city. The storyline elements are completely optional, though, and you can instead focus on running, jumping, and slicing giant spiders with your sword.

But there’s a twist. The gameplay revolves entirely around the theme of Light and Dark, represented by the colors blue and red, respectively. You swap between Light and Dark at will with a quick tap of R1, and you’ll need to do so with military precision in order to survive the ever-changing world around you. When you’re in the Dark form, red is your “friend.” Red platforms creak into life, red projectiles inflict no damage, and blue enemies can be defeated with a few sword swings. So far, so good, but then things start getting nuts: cascading waves of alternating blue-and-red projectiles fill the screen, requiring you to flip between red and blue in fractions of a second. Add in simultaneous platform jumping and combat with multiple enemies of multiple colors and you’ve got a formula that will make even seasoned gamers sweat. Outland will invade PSN sometime in 2011- Sid

PAGE 1 2

+ TorgoTime on September 30th, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

YEAAAAHH!!!!!!

+ jeffsmither on September 30th, 2010 at 12:26 pm said:

Beyond Good & Evil is a great game. I still Have the PS2 game. Anything New going to be add in it?

+ unstablefears on September 30th, 2010 at 12:26 pm said:

Both Outland and From Dust sound really interesting. Also looking forward to Beyond Good & Evil, never did play the original.

+ Mucudadada on September 30th, 2010 at 12:27 pm said:

Honestly, I will be purchasing every single one of these. BG & E was absolutely breathtaking in it’s cinematic depth. I can’t wait for it to be exposed to a larger audience. It truly deserves it.

Dust looks brilliant, and who can’t get excited about Scott Pilgrim? I mean, come on! Everyone should be in lesbians with a that game! 8-Bit greatness!

+ ediddy999 on September 30th, 2010 at 12:27 pm said:

YEAAAHH!!!!!!!

+ corporus on September 30th, 2010 at 12:28 pm said:

Loving the scott pilgrim dlc

+ chrisishizu on September 30th, 2010 at 12:31 pm said:

yeah Chaun ftw

+ teradome on September 30th, 2010 at 12:31 pm said:

GET READY TO CHAU DOWN

+ poodude on September 30th, 2010 at 12:31 pm said:

I have the PS2 version of Beyond Good & Evil, but I haven’t been able to play it yet. Now I’ll be able to play it in HD with trophies!

+ BigBoss712 on September 30th, 2010 at 12:32 pm said:

Always wanted to try Beyond Good & Evil, guess now is a good time.

+ adolson on September 30th, 2010 at 12:33 pm said:

I’m buying all of this stuff! Except the Scott Pilgrim DLC… I didn’t mind the demo, but haven’t picked up the game yet. Maybe later.

+ Trixzter7 on September 30th, 2010 at 12:33 pm said:

“From Dust” is the game that intrigues me the most.
Can’t wait to see more of it.

+ lcmnick on September 30th, 2010 at 12:34 pm said:

MISS JADE!!?!?!?!?!

+ pasufarin on September 30th, 2010 at 12:37 pm said:

Excellent news all around – thanks for informing us! I’m really looking forward to Beyond Good & Evil HD, and From Dust and Outland sound intriguing.

+ Megakizz on September 30th, 2010 at 12:39 pm said:

looking forward to all these everyone says beyond good and evil is a great game that I never got to try.

+ tgpumpkin on September 30th, 2010 at 12:39 pm said:

Naturally this is total awesomeness but I do have a question: will Beyond Good and Evil have trophies as well?

It’s still great that it’s being re-released either way.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 30th, 2010 at 2:12 pm said:

Yup — Trophies are confirmed.

+ HerbertFortoon on September 30th, 2010 at 12:40 pm said:

I think trophies are a prerequisite these days.

+ fijski8 on September 30th, 2010 at 12:41 pm said:

Beyond good and evil was way…. ahead of its time. I only played halfway through. So this PSN title will be a day 1 buy for me.

+ PuppetShoJustice on September 30th, 2010 at 12:41 pm said:

I wouldn’t be willing to play Beyond Good & Evil again, I don’t think.

It pretty much begged for a sequel at the tail end and there still isn’t one.

+ TheGuardianFID on September 30th, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

FREAKING AWESOME stuff guys, I still have my copy of Beyond Good and Evil, but I will definitely upgrade and the other games look fantastic, count me in!!! 8)

+ srmej on September 30th, 2010 at 12:48 pm said:

From Dust looks awesome its a definite buy. Scott Pilgrim DLC FTW XD . Beyond Good and Evil never played but might try it cause everyone says its good.

+ weecoulter1 on September 30th, 2010 at 12:48 pm said:

Will there ever be a Beyond Good and Evil 2!? :O I seen it on Zavvi Store, but it didnt have box art or release date

+ PuppetShoJustice on September 30th, 2010 at 12:49 pm said:

Whoa whoa whoa.

Outland is pretty blatantly ripping off Ikaruga there.

You guys might want to consider coming up with your own gimmick.

+ Lirion on September 30th, 2010 at 12:49 pm said:

Will From Dust have Move support?

+ boxmyth on September 30th, 2010 at 12:52 pm said:

Stellar lineup. 2011′s gonna be expensive.

+ PuppetShoJustice on September 30th, 2010 at 12:52 pm said:

I also really hope Beyond Good & Evil has a platinum in it. That game is huge and deserves it.

+ kNoWlEdGe22 on September 30th, 2010 at 12:58 pm said:

Never got a chance to play Beyond Good & Evil so that should be interesting… otherwise, I’m really looking forward to From Dust… 2011 is going to be a crazy year for games!

+ mosespippy on September 30th, 2010 at 1:03 pm said:

BG&E is not as good as the internet remembers it. I won’t be surprised when everyone who never played it finally does and asks what the big deal was about.

+ PuppetShoJustice on September 30th, 2010 at 1:06 pm said:

It was pretty standard for 2003. I don’t see what the point of bringing it back is unless a sequel is finally going to be made.

+ Xamindar on September 30th, 2010 at 1:07 pm said:

I hope they fixed the PS3 hard locking up if you load Scot Pilgrim while the XMB is downloading something. Other than that, it was a really fun game.

+ taurus82 on September 30th, 2010 at 1:11 pm said:

Solid Gold Awesome (Scott Pilgrim not so much).
Can we have the Myst series (realMyst Riven, Exile, Revelation and End of Ages) HD’d next?
and perhaps recreate Uru/Myst Online as a PlayStation Home event like Xi?

+ Anddo on September 30th, 2010 at 1:11 pm said:

I want Outland :)

+ creid8 on September 30th, 2010 at 1:15 pm said:

It’s “Chahi,” not “Chahil.”

+ lbpmagician on September 30th, 2010 at 1:16 pm said:

Can’t wait to play as Knives! She’s my favorite Scott Pilgrim character :P Also can’t wait for the movie on Blu-ray :D

+ taurus82 on September 30th, 2010 at 1:18 pm said:

…and it’s ‘Another World’ not ‘Out of this World’.

+ GT-420 on September 30th, 2010 at 1:18 pm said:

The new games sound refreshing, especially From Dust with MOVE support.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 30th, 2010 at 2:13 pm said:

Move isn’t confirmed to be in the game; rather, the developers are interested in adding it post-launch. That’s not a confirmation that it’s coming, but it’s a possibility post-launch.

+ spoonTRex on September 30th, 2010 at 1:18 pm said:

Yes! Thank you! I’ll buy them all! :D

+ sam_i_jam on September 30th, 2010 at 1:23 pm said:

Éric Chahil? Out of This World??? I’m sold.

One of the best experiences I had growing up — Out of This World and his follow-up, Flashback.

+ Kirkpad on September 30th, 2010 at 1:23 pm said:

You guys forgot to mention that Outland is being made by the creators of Super Stardust HD. From Dust is the best looking downloadable title I’ve seen in… AGES. The tech demo for From Dust was absolutely stunning.

+ johngrybos on September 30th, 2010 at 1:24 pm said:

Solid Snake would wince at those stealth sequences because they’re horrid. The game overall is OK, but the stealth is ugh.

+ Redikol on September 30th, 2010 at 1:28 pm said:

Beyond Good & Evil HD! AWESOME! One of my favorite games ever!
Please give more than just online leaderboards, be creative; think outside the box, I mean, there had to be things that were cut out of the game originally, because they thought better to add them. Now’s the chance to add them, if not into the game itself, add them as Deleted Scenes Content (DSC) on the menu. ;)

+ Zezzler on September 30th, 2010 at 1:30 pm said:

Scott Pilgrim DLC – Getting it.
From Dust – Getting it.
Outland – Getting it.

Geez Ubisoft. you are robbing my wallet here >.<

+ Link01 on September 30th, 2010 at 1:43 pm said:

I can’t wait for Beyond Good and Evil :). I just wish everything good wasn’t coming out next year…

+ Tgebbs on September 30th, 2010 at 1:44 pm said:

Ubisoft should bundle BGaE, Outland, and From Dust all on one blu ray and sell it retail.

It would be much more attractive to consumers that way, not to mention with a retail sku it could get them platinum trophy sets for all three games, which would also be another huge selling point.

Do it ubisoft!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 30th, 2010 at 11:48 pm said:

That’s actually a pretty neat idea. Kind of random, but I wonder if it would work…

+ mywhitenoise on September 30th, 2010 at 1:46 pm said:

I am loving these HD remakes!

+ PuppetShoJustice on September 30th, 2010 at 1:49 pm said:

That’s the worst idea ever. These are completely different style of games and paying for all of them if you only want one or two is an instant turn-off.

+ taurus82 on September 30th, 2010 at 1:54 pm said:

I’ve never played ANOTHER WORLD but I do love Flashback.

+ skynidas on September 30th, 2010 at 1:56 pm said:

A lot of great games coming from Ubi for the PSN, I think I will get all of them.

+ SalMoriarty on September 30th, 2010 at 2:11 pm said:

first dever?

+ craiglaurence on September 30th, 2010 at 2:14 pm said:

Beyond Good and Evil – YES! Day 1. Platinum Please.
Scott Pilgrim DLC – Probably. Thanks for the patch, but what we REALLY, REALLY want is online co-op! come on, it’s not that hard.
From Dust – Probably.
Outland – YES! Day 1
Now make those PS2 HD collections official.

PAGE 1 2