No Man's Sky

Coming to PSN Tuesday: Sports Champions “Haunted” DLC

Jeremy Ray's Avatar + Posted by Jeremy Ray on Oct 04, 2010 // Senior Producer, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios

Let me bring you back in time to E3 2009, where we debuted a little tech demo for a brand new motion control platform, later to become what we now all know and love as the PlayStation Move. In the tech demo you could sword fight with a skeleton (anyone remember tickling the skeleton’s chin with the sword blade?), use dual handed throwing stars, and shoot arrows at an endless parade of skeletons. Most of the mechanics in the demo were the basis of a title that was, at the time, only a work in progress, but would become Sports Champions.

GD_01

Sports Champions Haunted Pack for PlayStation MoveSports Champions Haunted Pack for PlayStation Move

Well, our skeletons have finally been let out of the closet again with a brand new Sports Champions DLC pack called the Haunted Pack, available for sale through the PlayStation Store on Tuesday, October 5 for $4.99. The new content includes three new frightful characters that are playable in all six events, as well as new spooky equipment for each of the sports.

New Characters:

Bocce – Skull Bocce Set
Table Tennis – Phantom Paddle
Gladiator Duel – Skeleton Sword and Shield
Archery – Skull Bow
Beach Volleyball – Skull Ball

Sports Champions Haunted Pack for PlayStation Move

I dare you to play a round of Disc Golf with Specter and not laugh. Also, for those wanting the easy way out, there will be an Unlock All DLC added the same day as the Haunted Pack. Please be sure to watch for more Sports Champions DLC in the months to come. Enjoy!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ remanutd5 on October 4th, 2010 at 8:06 am said:

Jeremy , cool to see you guys supporting Sports Champions , but i have a question for you , are we ever gonna see an Online Patch to the game ? i mean the game is good but it would be better with online functionalities

+ XxDeathDoctorxX on October 4th, 2010 at 8:06 am said:

add online to it that would make it better copy and post if u agree

+ Powie on October 4th, 2010 at 8:07 am said:

Waiting for online multiplayer, and you’ll have my money. :)

+ EmoSaga on October 4th, 2010 at 8:07 am said:

nice =) Spectre looks sweet

+ spatsnaz on October 4th, 2010 at 8:09 am said:

I love Deadmund. Looks just like the E3 demo skeleton.

+ broncokev15 on October 4th, 2010 at 8:10 am said:

New characters and equipment, not bad, I’ll probably pick this up.
Will all DLC for Sports Champions be paid, or are there plans for free DLC?

+ S-E-G on October 4th, 2010 at 8:10 am said:

lol
4.99
come on man
sometimes i wonder who is the bigger crook
hackers or game developers

+ Marine_Corps on October 4th, 2010 at 8:10 am said:

Can we expect to see new Sports added as well? I know I’d love to see an expansion to the existing 6, and I’d gladly pay for more awesome sports like BOWLING!

Jeremy Ray's Avatar

+ Jeremy Ray on October 4th, 2010 at 10:26 pm said:

For SC this is probably unlikely, but I’d never say never.

+ Coolwater on October 4th, 2010 at 8:11 am said:

This seems a bit overpriced for DLC on a packed in game that isnt really considered a full fledged game.

Maybe if there were some online multiplayer involved here somehow i would consider with that price.

And i’m not saying this because i dont like paying for DLC. I’ve bought plenty off the Playstation Store. This particular item just doesnt seem to have much value when you compare it to other things on the Ps Store that can be had for the same amount of money.

It’s cute, but not worth the money.

+ themadmen on October 4th, 2010 at 8:11 am said:

Add online multiplayer, and you’ll have all my money.

+ Coolwater on October 4th, 2010 at 8:12 am said:

Looking at the comments that came in while i was typing my first comment, i think we all agree here.

1. That DLC is overpriced.
2. We all want to play Sports Champions Online.

+ AEREC on October 4th, 2010 at 8:13 am said:

Awesome…woudl love to see some kratos or other PS cahrracters as DLC at somepoint..along with online for Disc Golf and Bocce Ball (at least)

+ NeVeR__GoNe on October 4th, 2010 at 8:13 am said:

we need online multiplayer

+ sam_w on October 4th, 2010 at 8:16 am said:

Looks nice and all, but you’d need at least a trophy pack alongside it for me to pay that much!
Other PS characters like ‘AEREC’ suggested would be pretty awesome as well, Nathan Drake playing a round of table tennis would be insane xD

And like everyone else has said, a patch to add online multiplayer would be SWEET!

+ Mobius_124 on October 4th, 2010 at 8:18 am said:

it would be nice if you add new games as well. I would like to see a bowling game for it, but done right. HVB does play well with move.

but overall im happy with the support this game is getting.

+ Berae on October 4th, 2010 at 8:18 am said:

It looks cool but it should have been free. I will stick with the regular characters.

On another note i would get a DLC for new sports tho, something original. oh and like some said online multiplayer would be a nice addition.

+ BUD_TOKER_13 on October 4th, 2010 at 8:20 am said:

all i can say is YAAAAAAAAAA sic i want and $5 for 3 caricatures and 6 pieces of equipment come on that to me is a good price and im cheap but look at it like this most games like hvb charge $1 for 1 caricature and $2 for a ball pack so 3 caricatures $3 and one equipment pack $2 equals $5 and how is that to much

+ reson8er on October 4th, 2010 at 8:20 am said:

What #11 said.

+ Trypple on October 4th, 2010 at 8:20 am said:

This game NEEDS Online Multiplayer, I mean its fun and all but some of us dont have friends next door that have ps3’s. I live 900 miles from all my friends back home who i usually play with ONLINE. I honestly dont know why they didnt put it in there. Maybe to push a release date which is usually the cause of things being left out.

+ LeeorV on October 4th, 2010 at 8:21 am said:

3 New characters for 5$ seems like a pretty good deal for a full game that only costs 40$ to begin with.

my question is though, will this add more trophies?

+ hanzox7 on October 4th, 2010 at 8:23 am said:

i’m enjoying my ps move and i’ll probably pick this up but there are a couple of things that s.champions could improve

1. online ASAP
2. more mature games. i’m a hardcore gamer and i can’t wait for Fight Lights Out and Killzone 3. so i would be nice to have something in the meantime… not just table tennis.
3. other sony franchises making it to s.champions… i.e. Kratos, Nathan Drake, Killzone Hellghasts, Cole Macgrath etc.

+ FunkyTable on October 4th, 2010 at 8:25 am said:

Good Price, fun content.

I don’t care about online gaming for this title. Leave it off.

What I would really like to see for DLC though are entire additional sports. Come up with a simple baseball game. My son loves baseball on that other console.

+ yaaatoob on October 4th, 2010 at 8:27 am said:

1. Online Patch
2. New Sports, or expansions for existing sports
3. Character Skins

This is the order you SHOULD be prioritizing new content – 4.99 isn’t bad for some nice looking character skins, but it doesn’t actually add anything worthwhile to the game. Bring us online play, bring us new sports or expansions to existing sports – THEN you can start to nickel & dime us with character skins and new equipment, and until you DO release some content that ACTUALLY expands on the gameplay, I won’t be purchasing any DLC.

+ mgiusto on October 4th, 2010 at 8:29 am said:

I agree with everyone else here, this game needs Online Multiplayer. How this game was released with something that should be standard on any PS3 game released in 2010 forward is beyond me. That is the most basic of gameplay elements in any game now, ESPECIALLY a multiplayer one! How Online could be absent is ridiculous!

Online Multiplayer missing from this game basically screams the greed Sony is after, they’d rather force each individual to buy additional move controllers to play multiplayer Sports Champions than allow people to buy only one Move controller and play vs others online.

+ Jeremyc33 on October 4th, 2010 at 8:30 am said:

How about you bring us back in time to E3 2009, take those characters and put them in the original game release, so Sony won’t rape us for an extra $4.99 less than a month after the game hits shelves?

Screw you game developers, you suck.

+ ZFair on October 4th, 2010 at 8:31 am said:

We need Online function, and more games added, like Bowling, Skeet Shooting, and a Hunting Game added..yeah and a Baseball game that plays like all type of Baseball games, like Cricket, and add Lacross and Frisbee..

+ adolson on October 4th, 2010 at 8:32 am said:

Online and Foosball DLC please!

+ Danlisa on October 4th, 2010 at 8:34 am said:

@ #25

They’re probably already in the game, $4.99 will probably buy you a 100kb unlock key.

I really luv the “let’s shaft the end user” digital age, don’t you?

+ F-minus on October 4th, 2010 at 8:35 am said:

Is there a chance that this game will be available to download the full game from the PS Store? or is it going to remain a retail thing.

Jeremy Ray's Avatar

+ Jeremy Ray on October 4th, 2010 at 10:31 pm said:

There are no current plans to release SC other than a disc.

+ Chuckbait on October 4th, 2010 at 8:36 am said:

Yeah, this is cute, but not worth 5 bucks of course. I would love some sort of baseball for the Move…but maybe ill just have to wait for MLB 2011.

Just as a note, 2011 will be the first baseball game i bought, since sega saturn’s world series baseball ’98.

+ Korbei83 on October 4th, 2010 at 8:37 am said:

Too much money for too small a thing.

+ bigdaddykraven on October 4th, 2010 at 8:37 am said:

Ok I love the game and despite my thoughts that I’d feel otherwise, I really enjoy the Move and my $150 investment (got one an extra wand for my GF to play too and we have fun). I fully intend to continue supporting it too and love that you guys are doing the same with DLC but…

I don’t have a problem paying for DLC (see my PAIN purchase list and all the DLC I have on my various accounts) but this seems like something that should be free. 1) Its kind of a holiday theme thing. 2) You’re selling your tech demo work to us, I think it’d be a fun gift to your early adopters. Finally, I think I just mentioned already spending $150 where I’m sure many others have spent $100-$150 themselves.

I would pay for other skins and DLC, new characters etc sure, just this particular pack kinda has free written all over it. Not that this comment will change that just thought I’d post my 2 cents I guess. Thanks for the support and maybe I’ll purchase the next one SONY. I’m LOVING the Move so far though and I didn’t even have to have Kevin Butler live in my apartment to do so. :)

+ egee22 on October 4th, 2010 at 8:42 am said:

THE Sports Champions DLC pack the Haunted Pack it remembers to me UNCHARTED 2

+ Morgus on October 4th, 2010 at 8:44 am said:

1. Online Multiplayer patch
2. More sports

that is all

+ Anddo on October 4th, 2010 at 8:44 am said:

I was hoping for new game modes, online patch something along those lines.. Still love the game though :)

+ Jeigh on October 4th, 2010 at 8:49 am said:

Yeah… Skins? If it doesn’t change the game in any real way, It shouldn’t cost that much. Nevermind that you’ve already cheated the players out of an extra $50- “You CAN play this with one controller… You’ll never be able to finish it though since we packed in a trophy that explicitly requires you to merely play ONE round of each with two controllers.”

By the way, this is coming from someone who purchased two from the beginning anyway. I’m just disgusted with the tactic. Gladiator Duel is, in fact, the best single thing to come out for the Move thus far and perhaps for some time.

Hopefully a fuller fighting/action game will come along later (no, not The Fight, interesting though it does look- realistic fist-fighting can be done for free. I play games to escape reality. Stop treating this like a Wii opponent/reality simulator and start looking at the SUPERIOR games you were creating beforehand. More fireballs and crazy sword powers dammit)

+ ElektroDragon on October 4th, 2010 at 8:54 am said:

VERY cool! The only thing making it better would be if it were FREE.

+ RenegadeDevil on October 4th, 2010 at 8:54 am said:

Im with the others that say lets see some Multiplayer online ASAP. Don’t make us buy something we paid for to get the DLC as well. We spend $180 + to play with friends online to see it don’t support it. Sony puts out a racket game thats online with the same games as the champions bundle?

+ backbreaker65 on October 4th, 2010 at 8:55 am said:

Jeremy Ray,

Is it possible for you to get this message to the devs. Is it possible for them to make users have a Virtual Identity Profile(VIP) ala ESPN NFL2k5. Say for instance Me playing as Jackson I upload him with my Playstation ID and anyone can download him and play against him with my profile tendencies. It will be great as an alternative to not having an online mode. Imagine the replay value of something like that. I have more ideas but don’t want to bore you, but I think this is the way to go to avoid all kinds of latency issues with table tennis.

+ B_U_L_L_D_O_G_G on October 4th, 2010 at 9:00 am said:

this has been posted many times before. but we need online play.

+ RockToonz on October 4th, 2010 at 9:01 am said:

i think if this will be free, many sports champions bundle will sell rather than selling this as DLC lol
but i like my move and sports champions.. Top 3 Table Tennis O.O OMG haha
I want playing with my friends Online… -.-“

+ RockToonz on October 4th, 2010 at 9:02 am said:

oops im top 4 now tsk GRR have to play… SC FTW! sorry for double post

+ bo_fweris on October 4th, 2010 at 9:05 am said:

Waiting for online multiplayer, and you’ll have my money. :)

+ bo_fweris on October 4th, 2010 at 9:06 am said:

1. Online Multiplayer patch
2. More sports

that is all

+ jedi_webslinger on October 4th, 2010 at 9:07 am said:

If this comes discounted or free with PS Plus members i’ll get it. Online would be awesome with this game.

+ sam_i_jam on October 4th, 2010 at 9:08 am said:

So, $5 for character skins?

I can buy proper full games like Psychonauts or Beyond Good and Evil for that amount. The DLC pricing scheme needs to be seriously reconsidered.

+ KidCommando on October 4th, 2010 at 9:16 am said:

Online patch first, then DLC.

I guess it was stupid of me to think those question marks on the character select screen would be unlockable by playing the game. Instead they are most likely already on the disk and we will be paying for an unlock code. Expect another set of DLC, there are 4 more question marks to pay for.

As much as I love Halloween themed anything, I won’t be buying until an online patch happens.

Jeremy Ray's Avatar

+ Jeremy Ray on October 4th, 2010 at 10:37 pm said:

Everything you see on the character select screen is unlockable within the game. The Haunted Pack characters are extra.

+ CrapForce on October 4th, 2010 at 9:20 am said:

Online it plz!

+ D-Roca on October 4th, 2010 at 9:21 am said:

MUST HAVE ONLINE MULTIPLAYER.

+ DMPrince on October 4th, 2010 at 9:24 am said:

I fully support this DLC in every way.

PAGE 1 2 3