PS4-Watch_Dogs

PlayStation Move: By The Numbers

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Nov 08, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Whether we’re talking Trophy Level, KDR, or NPD, us gamers are a pretty stat-obsessed lot. Last week, we announced that a million PlayStation Move units have been shipped in North America. This morning, have a look at some more stats about the first month of PlayStation Move’s availability.

Move Momentum

Later this week, we’ll have more Move stats for you as the Sports Champions team will share some interesting gameplay tidbits.

78 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2

+ I3rand0 on November 8th, 2010 at 5:09 am said:

Sold != shipped.

Although this is a nice attempt from the Sony marketing/PR dept. Keep up the fight against Kinect.

+ King4Ransom on November 8th, 2010 at 5:10 am said:

wow that’s some interesting statistics. 25% over the age of 35 and the average age is 28. Wouldn’t of guessed that.

+ Axecution on November 8th, 2010 at 5:10 am said:

I love these charts for some reason lol. :D

Anyway, i have 3 Moves. >.>

+ BlearySpecs on November 8th, 2010 at 5:19 am said:

It’s kind of pointless advertising how many games will be available by the end of the fiscal year if people don’t know when Sony’s FY ends, isn’t it?

+ I3rand0 on November 8th, 2010 at 5:21 am said:

@4

Good point. It’s March 31st.

+ Chimpanzee on November 8th, 2010 at 5:26 am said:

Just out of interest, who is this flyer/poster aimed at? Is it aimed at retaillers (buyers, etc) or at customers?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 8th, 2010 at 9:31 am said:

At anyone who has an interest, really. We decided to put it here just because, as I said, gamers do love stats.

+ BiezulbubBill69 on November 8th, 2010 at 5:27 am said:

Playstation Move FO’ LYFE!!

+ bigdaddy6703 on November 8th, 2010 at 5:32 am said:

I have to admit i love the move controller. Kids love it and I like using it for shooters, can’t wait to see what else it is good for in the future.

+ SpyDudeFX on November 8th, 2010 at 5:33 am said:

So 30% female is another way of saying 70% male? lol Not surprised :D

+ TGzorox on November 8th, 2010 at 5:35 am said:

Out of those 1 million, how many were actually sold? 200,000? Probably less.

+ Zinacef on November 8th, 2010 at 5:37 am said:

More games please!

+ Killop817 on November 8th, 2010 at 5:40 am said:

Yeap. Still no GT5 release date

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on November 8th, 2010 at 5:41 am said:

Who cares? GT5 release date please.

+ GTP_Zimmerd on November 8th, 2010 at 5:43 am said:

Please playstation, give us a release date for GT5.
We are getting crazy!

+ zombie9 on November 8th, 2010 at 5:44 am said:

I wonder how many people want BC for PS2 games? It would sell more than move. LOL:)

+ omega_alpha-619 on November 8th, 2010 at 5:50 am said:

Just buy a ps2 for your ps2 games
jeez they arent expensive.

+ Link01 on November 8th, 2010 at 5:52 am said:

the photo is private on the flick website. I also wish you guys would announce official total sales :(. Congrats on the success though.

+ zombie9 on November 8th, 2010 at 5:53 am said:

@15 ok but I can’t play PS2 in 1080i/p on old system. jeez

+ omega_alpha-619 on November 8th, 2010 at 5:56 am said:

You cant on new system either…
even most PS3 games are only 720p
Only a handful are 1080p.

+ zombie9 on November 8th, 2010 at 6:01 am said:

@18 what are you talking about you can’t play ps2 game in 1080i/p I had 60 gig system that is dead it ran FFXII in 1080i

+ fowlkore on November 8th, 2010 at 6:02 am said:

I’m sick of playing GT5 prologue. Please release GT5 before christmas:)

+ lifeat30fps on November 8th, 2010 at 6:04 am said:

Doesn’t the bundle cost one penny more than buying the PS3 and a Move bundle separately? Shouldn’t there be savings on a bundle, not a premium?

+ nino1911 on November 8th, 2010 at 6:06 am said:

60 percent of the world population already own a wii

+ Joe-TFW on November 8th, 2010 at 6:10 am said:

I wish I had some interest in Move, but it just does nothing for me. But I hope those that are buying it are enjoying it.

+ Killop817 on November 8th, 2010 at 6:21 am said:

@19 No it didn’t run in 1080i. It upconverted the resolution. Thats all.

PS2 wasn’t capable of running anything above 480p

Also, give me a GT5 release date SONY.

+ PuppetShoJustice on November 8th, 2010 at 6:27 am said:

Some interesting stats.

I still can’t wait for the industry to either outgrow motion controls or actually justify them as being functional enough to justify not favoring a standard issue controller though.

+ typikal82 on November 8th, 2010 at 6:28 am said:

I’m 28 and I own a Wii and I’m a parent.

I’m a model statistic here lol.

+ PuppetShoJustice on November 8th, 2010 at 6:30 am said:

Also. How exactly does one go about gauging the public’s “purchase intent” of a product? That seems pretty much impossible unless you’re somehow probing our minds.

+ PuppetShoJustice on November 8th, 2010 at 6:32 am said:

I’m also not convinced that “Family” is a game genre. But I guess you have to shove the EyePet into something.

+ TwinDad on November 8th, 2010 at 6:33 am said:

@puppetShoJustice

Would you like to take a survey?

+ zombie9 on November 8th, 2010 at 6:33 am said:

@24 Yes it did run 1080i upscaled just like they upscale DVD movies. sure it looked like crap but it looked beter than a regular ps2 480i display.

+ VisionaryLight on November 8th, 2010 at 6:33 am said:

Now the NPD data is no longer available were stuck with Sony giving us Shipped numbers instead of Sold.
I own a Wii and have 2 kids I’m not at all interested in the Move because Sony just doesn’t have the games to support the peripheral.

+ righello on November 8th, 2010 at 6:34 am said:

So.. when do we get better games to buy? Sorry if that’s something completely unrelated to the PSmove.

+ S-E-G on November 8th, 2010 at 6:43 am said:

no good games for move right now
i have move, but it’s been sitting on the charger for a few months now, sorcerer looks cool but who knows when that’s coming out.
all 60% of you should probably stick to your wii’s lol

+ scorpio182 on November 8th, 2010 at 7:00 am said:

LOVE IT!!!!

I still have to get the Eye Pet for my kids and looking forward to Tim Crisis.

+ TheTwelve on November 8th, 2010 at 7:04 am said:

Thanks for providing the best motion control setup out there, Sony. Currently doing Heavy Rain and Tumble with it.

+ Carl-G on November 8th, 2010 at 7:06 am said:

I bet you M$ will say Kinect sold 10 Million in a day then :D (when it comes out)

+ ck2875 on November 8th, 2010 at 7:12 am said:

sony’s attempts at bolstering their motion controller credibility by exaggerating sales as units shipped is likely proof that its not actually doing so hot (e.g. i have shipped out over 30 job applications in the past month and havent heard back from a single one).

+ TUSTIN1 on November 8th, 2010 at 7:14 am said:

We need a GT5 release date…hope to #$%@ they didn’t mean it was coming out before the end of SONY’s ‘fiscal’ year…

+ FlyAJ on November 8th, 2010 at 7:26 am said:

“intend” is the key word here

+ letherclad on November 8th, 2010 at 7:28 am said:

Sweet data, I hope it continues to do well and beats out that kinect nonsense.

+ ode2code on November 8th, 2010 at 7:34 am said:

I’m still waiting for the move and game buddles then I’ll buy. If they have a few differant game and move bundles it would be even better.

+ cebackes on November 8th, 2010 at 7:44 am said:

I own 2 moves controllers, and will buy another 2 for the split screen fight lights out!!!

[]s

+ Dosx001 on November 8th, 2010 at 7:52 am said:

i cant wait 2 buy my move set so i can ply my fav. game all over again MAG n all the new coming soon games like Killzone3, Socom4, n much more ;)
TAKE THAT Kinect!!! Kinect is wasted of money 4 a truth gamer

+ markburleson85 on November 8th, 2010 at 7:54 am said:

An interesting thing to point out:

“in the first 30 days since its release, 1 million units shipped”

That statement would lead me to believe that the units that were stocked at or before the launch day are not counted here. with that in mind, I think it would be safe to say that Sony has sold way more than that 1 million (I believe there have been new articles claiming around 2.5 million + sold world wide in the first 30 days).

+ Arcadian_Rebel on November 8th, 2010 at 7:56 am said:

Looks like an interesting success. :) I’ll get the Move eventually.

+ rawstory on November 8th, 2010 at 8:03 am said:

Sad.

Shipped means hardly anything. Move is sold out nowhere.

+ Dardantuan on November 8th, 2010 at 8:40 am said:

I own both a PS3 and an Xbox 360. While I have to admit I spend more time on the 360, I prefer the Move over Kinect by a long shot. I just picked up the kinect last week, and so far am not a fan. I just hope you guys continue to support the Move aggressively!

+ krae_man on November 8th, 2010 at 8:48 am said:

Sweet, random numbers that are meaningless!

+ Jeigh on November 8th, 2010 at 8:49 am said:

This seems to be as good a place as any to put this in (since nothing I enter into Blog.Share shows up- and believe me, they AREN’T duplicates): Devs need to take the calibration thing seriously. Many games released thus far have issues here. PAIN just recently got a patch, and I honestly don’t know how it helps in the slightly. It doesn’t determine where you are- it shoehorns you into the position it thinks you should be! In my case, the aisle between my recliner and couch. I have to get out of the chair walk over and hit the furthest target before sitting back down and playing as if it didn’t even matter. And this is a game that SHOULD be playable while sitting down. And I despise having to fiddle with the Eye since its cord makes it less than agreeable.

PAGE 1 2