Minecraft PS4

Tetris for PSN in 1080p and 5.1, Gets PS3-Exclusive Multiplayer

Christophe Gomez's Avatar + Posted by Christophe Gomez on Dec 13, 2010 // Senior Producer, EA Mobile

Tetris Team Battle

Hello, fellow Tetris enthusiasts! This is Christophe from EA Mobile and we’ve got some really big news. We are launching Tetris on PlayStation Network and it’ll be available to download from the PSN store in very early next year. This version of Tetris boasts 5.1 Dolby Sound, 1080P HD graphics, plus six online and local multiplayer modes. Of course, you can play Marathon mode by yourself in the boldest and brightest graphics ever, but what we’re really excited about are three new PS3-exclusive multiplayer modes that will make this a must-have. I can’t go into much detail, but these new online, real-time multiplayer modes will be more fun and competitive than anything you’ve seen before.

A couple of weeks ago Alexey Pajitnov, the original creator of Tetris, got to try out this new PS3 version and absolutely loved it. And since we know how excited you are, we have a trailer ready to showcase just how awesome this gets. Check it out above! This is going to be the definitive Tetris experience.

Tetris Marathon

+ Chuckbait on December 13th, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

PoP tomarrow baby

+ HerbertFortoon on December 13th, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

I wonder how many people will pay $15 to play tetris.

+ Rez33 on December 13th, 2010 at 12:26 pm said:

This is awesome news. All I have to say is that it better be loaded with tons of the original music and awesome new remixes of the music from the early days. The music is such a big part of the Tetris nostalgia. The trailer gives me hope that a lot of the original music will be included. The best way you can make this game stand out is by making TETRIS. And MUSIC is the way to have this stand out from the piles of Tetris remakes that have come out since the glory days of Tetris, most of which have had throw-away music tracks. Put the originals in, and re-mix them. If you do I’ll buy the soundtrack, too :-).

+ reson8er on December 13th, 2010 at 12:27 pm said:

My wife got so excited to see this, it made me fear longterm loss of my TV… but all in all I am glad to see it come to PS3.

+ reson8er on December 13th, 2010 at 12:28 pm said:

@HerbertFortoon I hope your wrong, $15 is $5 too much IMO.

+ iTofuMan on December 13th, 2010 at 12:45 pm said:

No price yet? i would get this if its priced right.

nothing over 5$ and im sold i mean come on its tetris i have it free on my phone, or could buy it for 1$ for my ipod, or get it for psp.

+ plaztiksyke on December 13th, 2010 at 12:45 pm said:

I *loved* Tetris Worlds on the original Xbox, I hope this captures some of the fun local multiplayer mayhem!

Does this game include the Hotline mode and other variations that were in Tetris Worlds? We all loved how Hotline mode made you invert your normal Tetris strategy, was a great brain twist :)

Do the online modes support the camera and/or headset?

+ vectorman88 on December 13th, 2010 at 12:50 pm said:

In Soviet Russia, video game play you! lol
Congrats to you EA. Im buying this game day one. itll be awesome! and you’ve even received Alexi’s respect which is definitely saying a lot.

+ Evilmanta on December 13th, 2010 at 12:58 pm said:

I feel like if the multiplayer mode is not like tetrinet I’m going to be disappointed.

+ Glacier928 on December 13th, 2010 at 1:25 pm said:

EA is the best Third-Party Publisher due to how much they support SONY with exclusive content. Keep it coming EA, I’ll keep supporting you guys!!

+ jqtaxpayer on December 13th, 2010 at 1:31 pm said:

Eh, I’m unconvinced as to Tetris’s relevance in a post-Lumines world. Give it a reasonable price point and we’ll talk.

+ pitythefool852 on December 13th, 2010 at 1:36 pm said:

I was in two minds about this, as I already have Tetris on the PSP, but the multiplayer might be what sells this version.

Of course, in a perfect world, anyone who bought the other version on the PSP would get this newer version for free :D

+ Arcadian_Rebel on December 13th, 2010 at 1:37 pm said:

Classic! I might get this. :)

+ pitythefool852 on December 13th, 2010 at 1:37 pm said:

Quick question… how does it look in 720p?

I’m worried that a lot of the detail might be lost at lower resolutions

+ HangarXVIII on December 13th, 2010 at 1:41 pm said:

It’s about time PS3 got a Tetris game!! I am getting bored with Tetris Evolution and Tetris Splash on the 360. I just bought a PS3 just for this game!! Please release it soon!!

+ OCDog45 on December 13th, 2010 at 2:02 pm said:

looks sick. whats the price?

+ Insanecyclone on December 13th, 2010 at 2:07 pm said:

Getting Alexi Pajitnov to play it, and liked it, must have been a fun experience. Haven’t played a tetris game in a few years so hopefully the price is good enough.

+ Train1999 on December 13th, 2010 at 2:13 pm said:

The Video Game. That put Video Games on the map. I know other games were there before it. Teris is the game that everyone can pick up and play. Looking forward to it.

+ shazbot-finubus on December 13th, 2010 at 2:27 pm said:

You know what? Tetris is pretty much the perfect video game. I’m getting this, but it depends on ONE CRUCIAL FACTOR:

Does the game actually have the music featured here in the trailer? Tetris simply isn’t the same without it. I await your response, sir.

+ Exquisik on December 13th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

Very Early Next Year? Why can’t it be this month?!

Sold on day one if it’s under $10 (hopefully $4.99)!

Also… this is not the 12/12 exclusive announcement is it? And where is the 12/12 exclusive announcement?

+ trampsintrouble on December 13th, 2010 at 2:42 pm said:

Tetris the Grandmaster > GB Tetris >>>>> any form of Tetris.

+ Zonified on December 13th, 2010 at 2:55 pm said:

This is some of the best news I’ve heard all day. Can’t wait; I’m a huge Tetris fan. :D

+ KILLZONE79 on December 13th, 2010 at 3:00 pm said:

WOW EA Does PS3 Exclusive finally usually there multiplatform
about time EA makes a PS3 exclusive for PSN!

No offense EA, i love your EA titles on PS3

+ Hsanrb on December 13th, 2010 at 3:34 pm said:

Hahahahaha “Best Tetris Game yet” When will EA realize they lie too much to realize they inflate their own egos. Best Multiplayer Tetris game was Tetris Online Japan… best singleplayer (and best overall tetris game) is ANY of the Tetris the Grand Master games. The first Grandmaster game is better than 90% of all tetris games made since Tetrisphere, and the other two games expand on the awesomeness. This just looks like I get from the flash Tetris Friends… and that just got too laggy to play.

+ Cromartie79 on December 13th, 2010 at 4:26 pm said:

New Tetris on N64 was the best imo.

+ locustlake on December 13th, 2010 at 4:46 pm said:

Looks nice :)
Hope it will under $10

+ ICZERZERO3000 on December 13th, 2010 at 5:02 pm said:

Great Move SONY, excellent. Lets teach Microsoft a lesson or two.

+ Subzero_11 on December 13th, 2010 at 5:33 pm said:

If there’s local multiplayer, I’m sold.

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on December 13th, 2010 at 5:58 pm said:

Thanks for the info Christophe Gomez, but I already bought it for PSP for $5.

+ atarinerd93 on December 13th, 2010 at 7:49 pm said:

Thats so cool….I have the original for the nes, and its pretty addicting, but to see it in 1080p, that would be so cool……

+ LightningBlade18 on December 13th, 2010 at 8:06 pm said:

WIN! Saw the title, was interested…saw the trailer, I’m buying.

+ MadMeat001 on December 13th, 2010 at 9:25 pm said:

WHAT ABOUT THE PSP?

+ Shacojin on December 13th, 2010 at 10:31 pm said:

Ooo sexy, would be nice if you bundled the PSP version of Tetris for free… or at least discounted

+ Sakimori_X on December 13th, 2010 at 10:41 pm said:

Am loving all the different remixes of the classic Tetris tunage. Nice!

+ Alf13W4llac3 on December 13th, 2010 at 11:54 pm said:

Weird, just as I was watching this I heard someone whistling the Tetris theme tune outside my room. It’s a sign that I must buy it.

+ Sum-Mischief on December 14th, 2010 at 3:12 am said:

I always had a thing for tetris … very cool thx.

+ wade001 on December 14th, 2010 at 5:46 am said:

so, this is why we never got the MINI’s version of tetris to work on the ps3 while the rest of the MINI’s are ps3 compatible..

we dont get a MINI’s version of tetris because EA was busy making yet another tetris clone, to suck another 15 bucks away from us..

think i’ll pass on this one.. maybe one day we’ll get a working tetris MINI version for ps3.. or maybe i’ll wait till the brand spanking new 1080p 5.1 dolby surround sound version gets a price reduction..

*sigh*

+ ElektroDragon on December 14th, 2010 at 9:00 am said:

INSTANT PURCHASE!

+ Cabanon on December 14th, 2010 at 9:25 am said:

man, that Battle mode remind me of DRx Mario 64. man that was awesome to stack some pills !

+ Rez33 on December 14th, 2010 at 11:19 am said:

You should put in the gold and silver blocks from “The New Tetris.” It was nice to focus on something other than just clearing lines. That added depth to the game and made that the best version of Tetris ever.

+ chezer4181 on December 14th, 2010 at 3:58 pm said:

Has it got a realese date yet?

+ KILLA_KING_007 on December 15th, 2010 at 12:51 am said:

Tetris in 1080p w 5.1 on the PS3…. Sold! Thanks EA yall be coming thru.

+ WoshJills on December 16th, 2010 at 2:29 am said:

So what exactly is the difference between this, and Tetris Friends on facebook? Oh yeah, I play with my real friends on facebook, and it’s free.

+ I3iG_l3oSS on December 16th, 2010 at 7:49 am said:

does this really need to be in 1080p with 5.1 surround sound? i mean really?

+ Dragon-Ultra on December 16th, 2010 at 8:25 am said:

Post: 14 – SirTrigalot
I agree with you. Make it $7.99 or $9.99
when it comes out…Otherwise I would have
to wait till it drops down, and if it doesn’t
I’ll be sad that because I wont buy it.

+ Tomyi on December 16th, 2010 at 10:59 am said:

Will there be a LOBBY online ?
I hate online-games without a lobby !

+ TheUltimateSword on December 18th, 2010 at 7:41 pm said:

This is a classic I will always play. Especially with an online multiplayer, I think this is something good to get as DLC.

+ TornadicInferno on December 20th, 2010 at 2:42 pm said:

i doubt its goin to be 5 bucks. the tetris mini for psp was 6.99 i think. this game will probably be 14.99. and at that price, i dont know if ill get it

+ J0SHTERR0R on December 21st, 2010 at 11:57 am said:

I don’t care what this game costs I will get it. I have been waiting a month or so for this game to come out. I guess I’ll just have to settle for MARVEL Pinball for now. When will we get a real release date?

+ FIN100NX on December 25th, 2010 at 12:55 am said:

The game is out.

How do you like it? I’m thinking of getting it.