PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

UNCHARTED 3: Premiering Drake’s Deception at our VGAs Viewing Party

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar + Posted by Rey Gutierrez on Dec 14, 2010 // Senior Social Media Specialist

Like UNCHARTED

“All men dream…” My first day joining the PlayStation family was July 19th – it was the day my life changed and it was also when I was told I’d be working on unannounced projects like UNCHARTED 3 and Resistance 3, the latest installments in what are easily some of my favorite video game franchises. My dream just became a reality.

PlayStation VGA10 Viewing Party

Fast forward to the first moments when I saw the final cut of the UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception reveal trailer, and my excitement turned into an obsession. The warm glow emanating from Jeff’s laptop couldn’t keep the chills running up my spine at bay from the mere thought of knowing exactly what I was about to experience. This wasn’t just any trailer folks, the two minutes that followed represented years of design, coding and writing from a pack of Dogs that meticulously create worlds and adventures we can all be Naughty in.

I was immediately grabbed by its simplicity and elegance, which met every expectation that built up in my mind a little more every time I’d hear a whisper or two of Naughty Dog’s progress. The more rewarding experience was being able to share that excitement with you, the PlayStation community at our VGA viewing event which we co-hosted this weekend with Capcom.

PlayStation VGA10 Viewing Party PlayStation VGA10 Viewing Party

The air was alive with the sounds of Marvel vs Capcom 3 on PS3, and Uncharted 3 speculation was flowing like the endless amount of soda and food we were handing out. I couldn’t decide which proved to be more difficult, keeping a crowd of 300 gamers entertained (as I manned the microphone hosting the evening’s festivities) or keeping every imprinted frame and moment from the trailer a secret long enough not to ruin the surprise. I found comfort (and pizza) when I would sneak away and ran to the makeshift Naughty Dog kennel that Will Powers and I constructed in the back of the Kim Sing Theatre. There, I would make new friends among the Dogs where they’d reveal how they pulled off the new sand physics, story and most importantly, the challenges that lay ahead to meet their 11.1.11 deadline.

PlayStation VGA10 Viewing Party

The fruit of their labor came from the eruption of screams of excitement that rocked their kennel when the trailer was finally revealed. If you weren’t there, not only did you miss one hell of a party, but you may have missed out on one of the most important milestones in the development of UNCHARTED 3, the very moment Naughty Dog got to witness the reaction and fanfare to their countless hours of work. You, the PlayStation community, with every high-five and cheer that followed Naughty Dog’s speech, have become their second wind. Exciting, huh?

PlayStation VGA10 Viewing Party PlayStation VGA10 Viewing Party

But now I turn the spotlight to you. If you had a chance to make it out to the Kim Sing Theatre on Saturday night, what were some of your favorite moments of our event and of the VGAs? Hit us up on the comments. If you have any photos or videos you’d like to share, make sure to drop us a link! We’d love to see them.

Our viewing party wouldn’t be the end of our UNCHARTED revelations for the weekend, as we next faced a new audience, the gaming and mainstream media. To be continued…

PAGE 1 2

+ AddisonW on December 14th, 2010 at 9:02 am said:

VGAs == FAIL

Uncharted 3 == WIN

+ PuppetShoJustice on December 14th, 2010 at 9:08 am said:

I’m getting kind of burned out on all the Uncharted 3 coverage. I’m sure it’ll be great and all but all these updates with no real information to speak of is kind of blah. Hope everyone had a good time at the party and all but this doesn’t make for an interesting read whatsoever.

+ Uriel_Itachi on December 14th, 2010 at 9:14 am said:

I was told that the VGA’s weren’t that great, the only good thing was the announcement of Uncharted 3. For what I’ve seen so far, I guess the voices were right. Well of to play Uncharted 2, I need to catch up before Uncharted 3 arrives, but I guess I shouldn’t hurry, lets just hope it wont get any delay or extended dates, like some other game around…

+ Jimmy_Cosmos on December 14th, 2010 at 9:23 am said:

is it going to be wall-to-wall coverage of Uncharted for an entire year?? I mean it’s gonna be an awesome game & all but.. a year…

+ KidCommando on December 14th, 2010 at 9:24 am said:

Uncharted 3 overload!

+ Rival_31 on December 14th, 2010 at 9:25 am said:

11-1-11 can’t come any sooner. :O

+ mywhitenoise on December 14th, 2010 at 9:29 am said:

Was this the “reveal” that was supposed to be shown AFTER the VGA awards?
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Uncharted, but I thought we were going to get another title revealed!

+ ICU-KILLA on December 14th, 2010 at 9:36 am said:

Will buy day 1 for me looks very good keep up the good work.

+ that-acmilan-guy on December 14th, 2010 at 9:36 am said:

All the trailers sucked to be honest, everyone of them are CG. Only Uncharted 3 prevailed with real engine showcase. Then again when a game looks this good, u dont need to think about CG.

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on December 14th, 2010 at 9:41 am said:

The Resistance 3 trailer was a mixture of live action and in-game gameplay. =)

+ Sky-Rocketed77 on December 14th, 2010 at 9:39 am said:

yesh yesh yesh…goty 2011

+ RedDraXon on December 14th, 2010 at 9:41 am said:

Can’t wait for more!

+ remanutd5 on December 14th, 2010 at 9:42 am said:

so when can we actually see more of Killzone 3 , Socom 4 , Motorstorm Apocalypse , inFAMOUS 2 , The Last Guardian and even Resistance 3? im extremely excited about Uncharted 3 but its not the only game coming out next year you know ?

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on December 14th, 2010 at 9:52 am said:

Expect to see tons more info, screens and video on all these titles starting bright and early after the holidays and well into 2011. You just named a healthy collection of PlayStation first party titles my friend, 2011 is going to be an exciting year.

+ mcbuttz78 on December 14th, 2010 at 9:53 am said:

no chairs for the guest rez?? lol

mcbuttz78-vp of psn legionaires

+ pitythefool852 on December 14th, 2010 at 9:55 am said:

I didn’t realise how much of an obsession Uncharted has become for me until I let out a little girlie squeal when I first read about UC3 on this very blog.

I’m really looking forward to this game. A year would normally be too long, but there’s a ton of great games coming in the meantime.

With all these games, and rumours of a PS Phone and PSP2, I am going to be spending a fortune in the coming year.

[readies multiple credit card applications]

+ Mucudadada on December 14th, 2010 at 9:56 am said:

The tap battle was pretty epic! Also, the joy of witnessing the U3 trailer with the folks at Naught Dog was just a great experience. I’m just glad I got to be a prop in the background as ND made history all over again.

Thanks so much for putting on the event, guys! It was fantastic, as usual. There is a reason why PS3 is my console of choice. Part of that reason is the amazing blog team who does some unparalleled things for their fans.

Till next time!

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on December 14th, 2010 at 9:57 am said:

(high-five) You’re welcome!

+ bravo1105 on December 14th, 2010 at 10:04 am said:

Real excited about Uncharted 3 …but lets not overhype this thing to where it won’t meet expectations ….you can pretty much hold off the masses with double point weekends on U2 and downloads of teaser trailers

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on December 14th, 2010 at 10:05 am said:

Can I have a Beta Invite for Christmas? Please? Love the series and will be purchasing the games for Life!

+ jhd_1 on December 14th, 2010 at 10:13 am said:

it’s too good to be true …. hope no game postpone in 2012 specially Uncharted 3.
Thanks Sony for making 2011 a good year to look forward to :)

+ Uncle_Daniel on December 14th, 2010 at 10:14 am said:

i’m more excited for Resistance 3 than Uncharted 3…but that’s not to say i’m not excited for it. i’m glad the PS3 is looking its best next year! so much stuff…OH, and Tetris on the PSN next month? mmm, so good.

P.S.- yes, i was at the VGA viewing party! i’m that handsome filipino kid playing Foosball! good stuff, Playstation…good stuff.

+ ESIASON7 on December 14th, 2010 at 10:21 am said:

@AddisonW I couldnt have siad it better myself

AddisonW | December 14th, 2010 at 9:02 am
VGAs == FAIL

Uncharted 3 == WIN

+ inspace2020 on December 14th, 2010 at 10:23 am said:

Hey that’s MY back in the red Killzone 3 shirt in the picture of the Naughty Dog team! HAHA. Sweet.

+ F-minus on December 14th, 2010 at 10:28 am said:

Once my Truck is paid off….only 1 more year :) Maybe i can justify somehow me flying from Texas to such a event or some PlayStation Shin-Dig, until than i will just photoshop myself into others photos of the event.

+ Arcadian_Rebel on December 14th, 2010 at 10:30 am said:

Looks nice. :) I can’t wait for Uncharted 3!

+ Mobius2525 on December 14th, 2010 at 10:31 am said:

God i wish i was there at that viewing party.

+ WrekGar on December 14th, 2010 at 10:37 am said:

Had a great time (again) at my 10th meetup looking forward to the next 10. Waits in anticipation for UNCHARTED 3 (drops around my bday). Dying to get hands on KILLZONE 3. Feeling a little hot and bothered for INFAMOUS 2. Bring on 2011 and all the great titles I will be buying.

The Blog Stalker

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on December 14th, 2010 at 1:46 pm said:

Thanks for all your help snapping additional photos from your camera, you should totally post up your flickr account link an share!

+ TCBFox on December 14th, 2010 at 10:46 am said:

Awesome event!! Great food, good people, free beers for the first couple hours. It was my first chance to try MVC3, so that was cool, and Foosball was a nice touch. It was cool seeing the VGA’s on a big screen, and everyone there I met was really cool. One of my favorite moments was when you guys called me up to the front to spit pickup lines @ Amped and failing miserably. lol. Here’s a link to some pictures I took at the event.

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on December 14th, 2010 at 1:45 pm said:

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing these.

+ TallCrowe on December 14th, 2010 at 10:54 am said:

hey what kind of fight stick is that? I’m looking for one, is that the one to get. The viewing party looks fun, you should get the exact same people together again 11 months from now and have them sit in the exact same spot when Drake’s 3 comes out.

+ Link01 on December 14th, 2010 at 10:56 am said:

I honestly hate you. I can’t wait to be the developer producing games like Uncharted… making this experience :D

+ zombie9 on December 14th, 2010 at 11:01 am said:

I missed the VGA and haven’t even seen a video of any thing. never been to a video game meet up ether. I’m on a roll:) Oh and I have never played an Xbot ether. Go Playstaion!!!

+ Butters360 on December 14th, 2010 at 11:32 am said:

The gameplay footage left me breathless. The chateu was amazing burning to the ground, especially after Nathan almost fell to his fiery death.

+ Airwalkinman17 on December 14th, 2010 at 11:57 am said:

Uncharted 2 is great and awesome and amazing and all, but what I really wanna see is some more Resistance 3 info. When will we see more. Its lookin incredible so far. cant wait. That franchise deserves more respect imho.
SONY ftw!!! killin it gangsta style lol

+ IrishPete333 on December 14th, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

The asian girl in front on the first picture is absolutely beautiful!

+ DZORMAGEN on December 14th, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

Yo Rey it was nice meeting you at the event!

+ Sons-of-Helghan on December 14th, 2010 at 12:32 pm said:

In Uncharted 3 will we be able to use the DLC characters in storymode and co-op??? It realy sucked not being able to play as our favorite PlayStation heroes like Cole or the Helghast in the story missions.. ( And yes, Helghast are the Heroes in my eyes =p )

+ D-Squad3 on December 14th, 2010 at 12:33 pm said:

So when is the demo coming? lol

+ sethchilders on December 14th, 2010 at 12:56 pm said:

Personally I thought the VGA’s sucked. The only reason I sat through the whole thing was just to see the Uncharted 3 trailer.

It was totally worth it.

+ neostardust on December 14th, 2010 at 1:43 pm said:

This is awesome, looks like playstation is way on the road of being the best console/brand for video games.

+ plaztiksyke on December 14th, 2010 at 1:48 pm said:

Will U1 or U2 be patched with some of the new graphical capabilities of this latest evolution of the engine? A complete ‘Director’s Cut’ box set would be awesome!

+ godkiller_3 on December 14th, 2010 at 2:03 pm said:

What about Jak and Daxter ??????????????????

+ digitalman123 on December 14th, 2010 at 3:32 pm said:

@39: I know! Let’s see a Jak 4 from NAUGHTY DOG!!!!
Cool. Where’s an official confirmation for Sly 4?

+ Teepo_64 on December 14th, 2010 at 4:13 pm said:

If you’re not a fan of the Uncharted 2, you can still be a baller.

But if you’re a fan of Uncharted 2 and a baller like me, you can be a “shamballer”.

+ Berae on December 14th, 2010 at 5:49 pm said:

Mortal kombat trailer with Kratos was awesome too

+ BallinOutTheBox on December 14th, 2010 at 6:04 pm said:

Congratulations once again to Naughty Dog and Sony on an successful unveiling on what is sure to be a successful, critically and commercially, and amazing game in an awesome series. Wish I was in attendance, it seems like those that were there had an awesome time. Well keep working hard guys and I can’t wait to play Drake’s Deception when it comes out next year.

+ footballrule on December 14th, 2010 at 6:57 pm said:

Just show some Uncharted 3 and Resistance 3 gameplay! I want more!!

+ phinnv8 on December 14th, 2010 at 7:22 pm said:

Uncharted 3 looks awesome, really love the Lawrence of Arabia plot and setting.

+ cool_trainer on December 14th, 2010 at 10:33 pm said:

:D nice i’m in the first picture on the bottom left rocking my awesome red Killzone 3 shirt that rey complimented me on. And thanks again for letting me take a picture of your awesome tattoo.

+ xpapox on December 15th, 2010 at 6:45 am said:

Will there be a uncharted 3 collectors edition?
Because I want to pre-order Uncharted 3 but i was thinking to wait and see if there be a uncharted 3 collectors edition..

+ xpapox on December 15th, 2010 at 6:49 am said:

I want to pre-order Uncharted 3 but i was thinking to wait and see if there be a uncharted 3 collectors edition..Will there be a uncharted 3 collectors edition?

+ wrestlemania0226 on December 15th, 2010 at 12:57 pm said:

Awesome. Just watched the uncharted 3 gameplay vid at jimmy fallon. Though with these new locations, it seems like a headache. Don’t get me wrong, the burning building was epic. But it looks HUGE. I’m sure i’m going to be lost around the first level, and spend HOURS trying to pass! And don’t forget why we love uncharted. The puzzles. hopefully, uncharetd 3 will include you trying to solve puzzles WHILE getting shot at, and not just running around in a room by yourself. So. HUGE and EPIC locations. Good or Bad?

+ Ben66rod on December 15th, 2010 at 7:06 pm said:

it looks so awesome I wonder when its gonna come out

PAGE 1 2