PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

MAG Full Game Trial on December 21

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar + Posted by Jeremy Dunham on Dec 20, 2010 // Sr. Community Manager, Zipper Interactive

MAG Full Game Trial

We’re extremely excited to announce that starting tomorrow, on December 21, MAG will be available in its entirety as a full game download on the PlayStation Store.

Priced identically to its boxed “Greatest Hits” counterpart, the downloadable version of MAG (4.7 GB) will run you a mere $29.99 and come complete with all the bells and whistles found in our patches up to v2.10.

To celebrate its release, PlayStation Plus users can try MAG out for free with an exclusive full game trial! Members can play the game and any of its original modes at no charge for as long as their PlayStation Plus membership lasts, with their only limitation being a level 8 character cap. However, members will continue to earn experience as long as they play the game, allowing them to automatically receive credit for time played once they’ve purchased the full product.

Membership has its benefits, yes?

+ pickupdoctor on December 20th, 2010 at 1:36 pm said:

I am assuming most of people that are commenting here have either reading disability or comprehension issues.

This will be available to EVERYONE on PSN Network for $29.99

BUT if you are PSN + Subscriber you will get it for FREE with Level 8 Cap, that means you will not be able to advance beyond that level unless you buy it.

And YES it comes with MOVE support, any game released on PSN comes with all the latest patches, updates etc.

Good luck, and PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU COMMENT.

+ Superskull85 on December 20th, 2010 at 1:36 pm said:

A level 8 cap is not that much to work with. Sure it may be “free” but wouldn’t it of been better to give, say, a 10 hour limit that would allow players to try out the different modes and be able to experience 25% of the levels? Or even make the level 13 giving them more to work with?

I understand that you wouldn’t be paying for the game, but there is not much you an experience with a level 8 cap really.

+ dayday72 on December 20th, 2010 at 1:43 pm said:

How long does it take in hours played to reach Level 8?
PS+ has already payed for itself IMO. I will be DL tomorrow.

+ b00kthree on December 20th, 2010 at 1:49 pm said:

I’ve been a subscriber for a few months. I never even considered downloading a 1-hr trial, even when the game appealed to me (and they often haven’t). What good is an hour? It’s like getting commercials on cable TV. Why am I paying for a commercial? (I don’t subscribe to cable, btw)

Nice job, Sony, coming up with a title and an offer that I’ll actually download and try. We’ll see if I like it. If I do, I’ll definitely start watching for sales on the retail version, because that price is nuts. $20 at walmart or amazon today for a new copy I can sell when I’m done with it.

But still, nice offer! You know PS+ is finally approaching a good value when non-subscribers start complaining it’s not for everyone instead of poking fun at subscribers as they have in the past.

+ Elex163 on December 20th, 2010 at 1:54 pm said:

So this is not a 1 hour trial? It’s a 8 level cap trial?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on December 20th, 2010 at 3:22 pm said:

You can play even after you reach level 8, level 8 is just the cap for the trial.

+ DeadFable on December 20th, 2010 at 1:54 pm said:

I really like MAG I just bought it yesterday. Great to see to on PS+ now.

+ footballrule on December 20th, 2010 at 1:55 pm said:

I’m not up for the huge download and installing. Especially when it comes to “Receiving Update Data” or whatever it’s called. It takes so many hours.

+ Epiclees on December 20th, 2010 at 1:58 pm said:

Well if anyone is curious you can pick yourself up a coppy for 15 at gamestop as part of their super saver sale XD

+ megaFdeth on December 20th, 2010 at 2:02 pm said:

I got a couple of questions…

Does this mean that is not just good for and hour like other full game trials?
Will all the progress be retro active if I decide to buy it(download or disc)?

by the way, way to step it up to PS+ members!
I’ve been very curious about this game for a long while…

Thanx

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on December 20th, 2010 at 3:24 pm said:

Yeah, you can play it as much as you want as a PlayStation Plus member – the caveat is that you’re capped at level 8.

However, upon purchase, your XP is retroactive and will be treated appropriately.

+ Johnmark on December 20th, 2010 at 2:02 pm said:

will there be any kind of discount for people who already own the disk but would like the download copy

+ KwietStorm on December 20th, 2010 at 2:07 pm said:

Couldn’t you have just rounded up to a level 10 cap? This is just wrong. So tired of this kind of business in my gaming.

Just kidding. I just wanted to fit in around here. This is actually a pretty cool idea.

+ xXiRoNcHaOzXx on December 20th, 2010 at 2:11 pm said:

kewl

+ tallytabletommy on December 20th, 2010 at 2:21 pm said:

if we play the trial version and then buy the retail version, do the trophies we unlocked during the trial automatically unlock right? and does it perhaps activate the game as being purchased, so we could play the game without the disc and simply use the download from PS3?

+ HolmWrecker on December 20th, 2010 at 2:23 pm said:

Thank you very much! What a great Christmas gift. I knew being a PS+ member would pay off. Man, that is coolness. Can’t wait to try it out.

+ Stuntman-M on December 20th, 2010 at 2:24 pm said:

Nice one,
But will this be US only or will we see this on the EU store?

+ LordRaoh on December 20th, 2010 at 2:25 pm said:

great news, i love mag.

but on a side note.. any chance of getting SOCOM I, II and III HD Remakes? With online support?

while sony was looking for their online killer game and zipper was working on mag and slant six was busy pissing on confrontation all we want/wanted was more of the same from our beloved franchise. it just needed to be brought up to hd and online standards.

its hard to believe sony the zipper hasn’t realized there was no reason to divert from what made socom great. i’m looking forward to the new socom but, its not the socom i wanted. i also miss the offline campaign.

socom was truly sony’s online franchise to win the fans over and it seems the fans were not considered at all.

+ digitalman123 on December 20th, 2010 at 2:37 pm said:

No offense, but why do we need a trial for a multiplayer-only game?

+ digitalman123 on December 20th, 2010 at 2:38 pm said:

Oh, I’m not Plus, so yeah.

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on December 20th, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

@Jeremy Dunham

when you say: “We’ve found a way to minimize its size through a number of methods”

did you remove something compared to the original disc?
or it is a 1:1 copy

is this one have DRM policy?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on December 20th, 2010 at 3:26 pm said:

Localization for multiple regions takes up a lot of space when you’re supporting umpteen languages.

+ Dafreakzo on December 20th, 2010 at 2:47 pm said:

Not to sound ungrateful…but level 8 cap? What’s the point?

+ PhadedWun on December 20th, 2010 at 2:50 pm said:

So – I have one main question that has yet to be answered.

The full game trials that have been available to PS Plus users have a limit of one-hour play-time.

Is that the case with MAG? Does it have the one-hour play-time and then you have to turn it off?

+ jacob-813 on December 20th, 2010 at 2:53 pm said:

Hope this brings in more players!!! Do us mag disc owners get anything? ;)

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on December 20th, 2010 at 2:57 pm said:

@PhadedWun

If you are PSN + Subscriber you will get it for FREE with Level 8 Cap, that means you will not be able to advance beyond that level unless you buy it.

as long as you are suscribed to PS+
no 1 hours trial.
unlimited trial but level 8 cap.

+ wocyob on December 20th, 2010 at 2:58 pm said:

@jacob-813

yea more players

+ sTaB_u_N_uR_i on December 20th, 2010 at 3:04 pm said:

@ Mr. Dunham

Iv realy enjoyed playing MAG with the move, but will it ever get updated with sharpshooter move support? (like Socom 4)

The way the move works with MAG now, i cant see any way of using the sharpshooter with it.

Just wondering since both games are made by Zipper.

Thank you sir.

+ teekomeeko on December 20th, 2010 at 3:15 pm said:

Wow, I’ll be darned if this isn’t one of the most novel “trials” for a game I’ve ever seen. This also gives me a great reason to get Move earlier than planned (as in, before KZ3 comes out).

I gotta say, this news is fairly exciting.

+ Zezzler on December 20th, 2010 at 3:24 pm said:

@Jeremy

You said that there is a level 8 cap and we can play as long as we are members. Does that means that the 1 hour long thingy doesn’t apply for this trial?

+ ModernYorkster on December 20th, 2010 at 3:24 pm said:

I hope Sony continues to release full PlayStation 3 releases via the PlayStation Network!

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on December 20th, 2010 at 3:31 pm said:

@Zezzler

exactly :)

+ jwspiker on December 20th, 2010 at 3:37 pm said:

hmm would be nice to get the ability to have multiple accounts with the plus membership, one can hope.. i’ve gota 320 and may start to run out of space with all these full games… 500 gigs maybe in my future.

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on December 20th, 2010 at 3:42 pm said:

@jwspiker
better buy yourself a 1TB. haha! :D

+ manixram on December 20th, 2010 at 3:44 pm said:

great , PlayStation Plus FTW

+ Hogwild333 on December 20th, 2010 at 3:53 pm said:

That is cool that there is no time limit. This is going to be great for existing MAG players because it will get more people playing. Even if people never upgrade and keep playing at level 8, they will make good cannon fodder for those of us who are level 70. I like how they will still earn XP because it will give them an incentive to upgrade to the full game.

+ ncfoxriver on December 20th, 2010 at 3:58 pm said:

Those who are complaining about MAG trial, for only PS+ members. MAG Beta came out last year. Maybe those of you should have played it, then!

Zipper, any surprises for your loyal MAG Community…hmmm…can’t wait to see!

+ ThA_h8d_On3 on December 20th, 2010 at 4:14 pm said:

ok here is the run down people the game is on [psn] period 4 everyone to buy for $30.00 ok [ps+] users get a trial which will let them play the game 4 free as long as they have [ps+] activated meaning they can play as much as they want 4 FREE ok but they stop leveling up after level 8 ok but they can still play the game as much as we want being [ps+] users ok and all the experience that we get will be tracked even after we max out at level 8 so if we buy the retail or downloadable verison we will receive all the experience earned ok now what i still wonder is since it gives you all the content given up to 2.10 do that mean we get all the dlc with the downloadable verison in if so do we get the same offer going to buy the retail greatest hits edition?

+ doesgo on December 20th, 2010 at 4:17 pm said:

Sony offers free stuff to PS+ members and it’s a fail? How is that possible? It’s never been a secret PS+ members get additional discounts and freebies. That’s the whole point! If you don’t want to be a member, don’t be. But expecting something for nothing time and time again seems ridiculous.

+ doesgo on December 20th, 2010 at 4:19 pm said:

Anyway, more on topic: Thank You! I’ve been considering trying out MAG and now with my PS+ membership I can try it easily and conveniently for free. Wow. Fantastic! I think I’ll be upping my three-month PS+ membership to a full year!

+ thechoosenone on December 20th, 2010 at 4:30 pm said:

Are you going to repost the discounted add ons?

+ StrboyMo on December 20th, 2010 at 4:37 pm said:

My brain hurts…Don’t any of you people read…I swear more than half of the comments are people asking the same questions….and then you guys force me to waste more valuable space by writing this.

REVIEW

MAG on PSN for 29.99 for full game purchase
MAG for PS+ members Free with a level cap of 8 – Cap removed on full purchase.
It has all the latest patches and MOVE support.

The reason its available for download, they removed languages and other region specific items to shrink the file size.

PLease read…It will save me a lot of time..lol

+ StrboyMo on December 20th, 2010 at 4:39 pm said:

Hey, totally unrelated to MAG, but somewhat relevant…..you should tell the guys at zipper to do the same thing with Socom confrontation. promotion for the new socom and get some new players to a very underrated game.

+ adolson on December 20th, 2010 at 4:45 pm said:

I already bought MAG, but have a question / clarification. If a friend trials MAG, hits the level 8 cap, and then buys the DISC version, does the XP still carry? It seems so, but wasn’t directly confirmed (see #59), so I thought I’d ask.

+ KILLZONE79 on December 20th, 2010 at 4:56 pm said:

this just weird full games going up on playstation store
so this means developers are not using entire bluray disc space

+ Axecution on December 20th, 2010 at 5:02 pm said:

@Killzone79: No. No it doesn’t.

+ NotoriousGamer on December 20th, 2010 at 5:18 pm said:

do trophies appear as trail trophies or normal trophies?

+ cobra14316 on December 20th, 2010 at 5:33 pm said:

What about if we had played the game already and passed lvl 8? Will I just be playing as that lvl with no increase?

+ Shinra_Soilder on December 20th, 2010 at 5:51 pm said:

Wow. This is awesome. I’ll download this but don’t know when I’ll get to play it. So many games I need to catch up with.
PS+ sure does have it’s benefits.

+ ZalAamir on December 20th, 2010 at 6:01 pm said:

best game trial ever,IMO.
1 hour trials are so limited :P
can barely test out the game before it expires.

and with MAG being an online ONLY game, level caps the best way to go. :)

+ shtunot on December 20th, 2010 at 7:17 pm said:

I very much respect the decision you’ve made for the PS+ deal for MAG…BUT…if you want to really impress me give me PMC slots as a one time purchase and NOT a “Rental”…as I’ve said on the facebook page…To whom it it may concern on the decision to make it a rental can go “F” themselves…What’s next??? Rental of DLC expansion packs??? OR…Hey want more ammo to help your PMC??? Go to the store and BUY some!!!! “Get the winning edge for your side…Go Raven!!!!!”. Give me a break…

+ WarriorOfPersia on December 20th, 2010 at 7:24 pm said:

Okay… this is a good incentive to be a member…

+ Hooligantuan on December 20th, 2010 at 7:54 pm said:

Wow. We pushed for a demo or trial of MAG all year, and when it finally happens, it’s capped at Level 8 and it’s only for PlayStation Plus subscribers.

I keep wondering how the people in control of MAG could keep shooting themselves in the foot like this, but they always find they have another foot to shoot.

This should be available to EVERYONE.