PS4 - Transistor

Ed Boon Talks Freddy Krueger in Mortal Kombat, Secret Origins of DLC Characters

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Jul 22, 2011 // Senior Manager, Social Media

You’ve seen the video. Now read what compelled Mortal Kombat co-creator Ed Boon to bring 80s horror icon Freddy Kruger to Mortal Kombat as a downloadable guest character this August. In discussing the news with the PlayStation.Blog, Boon shed light on the long, sometimes tangled genesis of Mortal’s Kombat’s other DLC characters — namely Rain, Skarlet, and Kenshi. One began as a joke, one was an incorrect rumor, and one…well, you’ll see.

Look for Freddy to hit PSN on August 9th for $4.99, and read on for my full chat with Ed Boon.

PlayStation.Blog: So what is the inspiration for bringing Freddy Krueger to Mortal Kombat as a DLC character?
Ed Boon, Creative Director, Netherrealm Studios: It was a number of things. It’s kind of hard to choose a character who would fit well into the Mortal Kombat universe, with the blood and violence that’s so associated with it. Kratos from God of War is a brutal, bloody character, so he makes sense. When we had the discussions about the DLC characters, we knew that we wanted to add a returning character, a new character, but also a guest character. That was one of the goals right from the beginning. A number of names were run by us: Jason, Michael Myers and all those guys. Freddy Kreuger, we felt, was the most instantly recognizable and he fits in with Mortal Kombat with his claws. It just seemed like the best fit.

PSB: Did you base Freddy off the 80s films or the reboot movie from a few years back?
Well…that’s a good question. We didn’t try to make him look like the actor Robert Englund, I don’t even know if we would be allowed to….Admittedly, I didn’t see the latest movie, the remake. But obviously the first few movies were huge — they left an undeniable mark on pop culture. When I look at him, I think of the original Freddy: he’s got the striped sweater and is instantly recognizable. He’s Freddy in general, we don’t really identify him as one version or another.

PSB: Freddy isn’t exactly a martial artist. How does he keep up with the kombatants?
[laughs] He doesn’t fight like a martial artist, either! We gave him two claws, which we explain in his character bio, so you can almost imagine a Baraka with shorter blades that are always out. He’s got lots of swipes, he can send his claws creepy-crawling on the ground or flying through the air. He can dig into the ground and the claws will come up under his opponent. He’s very claw-centric.

PSB: Will Freddy’s ability to invade his victims’ dreams play into his Mortal Kombat incarnation in any way?
Yeah, you’ll see some of that. His story ending really plays into that. In the middle of a fight, you won’t see him entering a guy’s head in a dream sequence or anything, but there is plenty of dream-related stuff in his introduction animation, his victory stance, his fatalities and so forth.

PSB: Ten, 15 years ago when Mortal Kombat was early in its lifespan, did you ever fantasize about getting Freddy Krueger into MK?
Yeah, yeah. Over the years, we’ve certainly had a number of conversations about guest characters. At one point, we had a conversation about having a group — imagine Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, Leatherface from Texas Chainsaw Massacre — of all these killers from the 80s and 90s flicks come in as a group of characters. We never got a grip on how we would do it, whether they’d be DLC characters or what. But yes, we’ve had lots of conversations over the years. We also wanted to introduce a character who was unexpected. This DLC thing opens the doors to realizing these ideas. Kratos was one we discussed as a DLC character a number of times, but luckily we could include him as the initial cast of characters [in the PS3 version]. With Freddy, we felt like the stars had aligned — it was time to do it.

Mortal Kombat: SkarletMortal Kombat: Kenshi

PSB: What is your process for choosing DLC characters? Why did you begin with Kenshi, who was the only character from the Deadly Alliance games to make the jump?
I’ve personally always big a big fan of Kenshi, as were many of the guys on the MK team. So we gravitated to Kenshi. We always knew we’d add Rain right from the beginning. I was bombarded for weeks on Twitter with fans begging for Rain, so I had a little fun with it. Each DLC character, I believe, satisfies a certain group of our audience that we knew was clamoring for it.

PSB: Speaking of Rain, he was originally hinted at in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. What was the genesis of Rain?
Rain was me being a jerk, basically. [laughs] When we were working on Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, I was thinking “what ninja color have we not done yet?” … and I’m a huge Prince fan, so I was thinking Purple Rain. I was probably still listening to the album. There was no time to actually make a character, because the game was done. So I hacked into the attract screen a quick little sequence of this purple ninja running at Shao Kahn. We didn’t even have the word “Rain” in the powerbar, so I manually built it using our font. So I included this quick glimpse just to drive people crazy. Once Mortal Kombat Trilogy came out, we gave Rain new moves and he finally became a real character. Later we brought him back for Mortal Kombat Armageddon. That’s one of the things about Mortal Kombat: many of the characters have these goofy development histories. Noob Saibot, Reptile…all of these odd origin stories.

Mortal Kombat: RainMortal Kombat: Freddy Krueger DLC

PSB: What about Skarlet? She was a rumored secret character from MKII, right?
She was a completely rumored character. She never existed, she was born out of a rumor. It got such legs that a name actually came out of it; there was never a glitch that turned Kitana red, that never existed. That was just an urban legend like Animalities and Ermac — a rumor that we eventually wanted to make true.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ cheeky4life on July 22nd, 2011 at 7:17 am said:

When are we getting Crash Bash as Psone classic?

Has it been legally cleared or passed Q&A yet?

+ mixedkidbx on July 22nd, 2011 at 7:21 am said:

LOL your reporting is wrong right off the back.

Boon even stated on his twitter that they had planned 4 DLC charas but never said it would only be 4.

+ Sid Shuman on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:43 am said:

Did I say somewhere that there would be only 4 DLC characters? That’s the number they’ve announced for now. We’ll have to see if they announce more at a later time.

+ azariaspice on July 22nd, 2011 at 7:23 am said:

Interesting read. I can’t bring myself to get the game because it’s just… too graphic for me. I don’t mind the blood like in God Of War, but the bones and such getting cracked… *shivers*. But it’s cool how they came up with characters, stuck them in, etc.

+ QCVic on July 22nd, 2011 at 7:23 am said:

I have to say the Freddy DLC was surprising, but I’m interested to play as he. He might be the character of my dream…or nighmares..

+ Francision69 on July 22nd, 2011 at 7:23 am said:

I thought there’s more than just 4 DLC characters?

+ Sid Shuman on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:01 am said:

Not that I’m aware of, at least not officially. Guess we’ll have to wait and see…

+ Francision69 on July 22nd, 2011 at 7:24 am said:

Isn’t there more than just 4 DLC characters?

+ Harshevik on July 22nd, 2011 at 7:25 am said:

Any chance in getting Havik?

+ burningwind on July 22nd, 2011 at 7:29 am said:

Hopefully we get some more DLC in the future. I am not a purist so Freddy seems fun to me. Will definitely look odd next to Scorpion or Jax but so did Kratos and he is still fun.

+ Heavenly_king on July 22nd, 2011 at 7:34 am said:

This character SUCKS!!! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!!!!! I was hoping for MK related character. I am sad I´m nor going to buy. “Thx the gods” lol, that we already have an extra character and it is KRATOS!!!!

+ Sid Shuman on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:02 am said:

LOL. On the bright side, if you’re not a Freddy fan, just don’t buy him. Problem solved! ^_^

+ YungShep on July 22nd, 2011 at 7:34 am said:

I hope more dlc is planned or an Ultimate version of Mortal Kombat with new characters, stages, additional fatalities. But either way, I hope 4 is not the limit. We’ve waited too long for a reboot.

+ Sid Shuman on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:03 am said:

And don’t forget that the MK Arcade Kollection is heading to PSN as well. I’m excited to play MK3 again, weirdly.

+ Deathspear666 on July 22nd, 2011 at 7:38 am said:

Nice…You guys can add me if your not tards..

+ bakerarmy on July 22nd, 2011 at 7:40 am said:

Looks cool, but I wanted Bo Ri Cho, I would rather shoot fire out my butt for a fatality.

+ Sid Shuman on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:03 am said:

I can’t argue with that logic!

+ imdakaratekid123 on July 22nd, 2011 at 7:56 am said:

DUH HELLO

+ slaYer127 on July 22nd, 2011 at 7:56 am said:

WOOOO! This is awesome. Freddy is easily my favorite horror movie icon. looks like fun. THANKS NETHERREALM!!!

+ Ricky-1192 on July 22nd, 2011 at 8:11 am said:

They picked freddy because Jason Voorhes just wouldnt die

+ Sid Shuman on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

Good point. He’d be fatality-proof! Same with Michael Meyers. :)

+ KazeEternal on July 22nd, 2011 at 8:13 am said:

Kind of disappointed that the 4th character is Kreuger, a half baked left over from the 80′s. I’m sure the MK team did a great job bringing such an uninteresting character to the game. I would have rathered a new original character or some sort of short term team up with another fighting game.

Anyway when can we expect a DLC complete version on disc of this game? I refuse to buy it until all of the characters come preloaded on a bluray.

+ GET2DAACHOPPAAAA on July 22nd, 2011 at 8:19 am said:

So when does Ultimate Mortal Kombat 9 come out?

+ warlock7 on July 22nd, 2011 at 8:24 am said:

He looks like the reboot Freddy… clearly.

+ Sid Shuman on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:04 am said:

What are the visual differences between 80s Freddy and reboot Freddy?

+ NeonReaver on July 22nd, 2011 at 8:26 am said:

“He’s Freddy in general, we don’t really identify him as one version or another”

No Boon. It’s reboot Freddy and you know it, so don’t try to pass it off as if it’s not. WB probably forced NRS to use reboot Freddy because new comers to the series only know reboot Freddy and they are probably wanting to make more sequels based on the remake, so they want to keep consistency. No point in lying about it.

+ Sid Shuman on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

What makes him reboot Freddy? I saw the new movie and I don’t specifically see what makes this version of Freddy so tied to the new movie.

+ ZeroNBK on July 22nd, 2011 at 8:35 am said:

Please Ed! Bring Jason, Myers and Leatherface! That would be awesome!

+ djnealb on July 22nd, 2011 at 8:43 am said:

I’m ok with using the newer look and the 2 claws, but why couldn’t you at least get Robert Englund to do the voice. That would have upgraded this announcement from great to EPIC!

+ KidCommando on July 22nd, 2011 at 8:52 am said:

Was really excited when I heard the announcement that Freddy was coming…then I saw the video and it all went away.

It is clearly the crappy, not scary, not funny, reboot version that holds ZERO relevance and meaning to the Friday the 13th series.

It is sad that you make this amazing reboot, have Kratos looking perfect, and then you get to Freddy and it is lazy as all hell.

This would have been the first DLC I would have bought for MK, but all those nostalgic feelings just don’t come across when I see this version of Freddy. so sad.

+ KidCommando on July 22nd, 2011 at 8:58 am said:

lolz….oops

Nightmare on Elm Street!

+ korgon117 on July 22nd, 2011 at 9:07 am said:

Don’t get me wrong, I love MK but Freddy? Really? I would much rather have some one like Bo Ri Cho ( Not sure how to spell his name) or anyone else but Freddy. I don’t think I’m getting this DLC character. Maybe it’s because I just could get into a Nightmare on Elm Street movie, any of them, but please put in someone cooler next. Maybe Duke Nukem! lol just kidding.

+ Sid Shuman on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:06 am said:

Duke Nukem in Mortal Kombat — you just made my day.

+ korgon117 on July 22nd, 2011 at 9:10 am said:

woops forgot the word not before could.

+ korgon117 on July 22nd, 2011 at 9:11 am said:

I mean after @_@

+ adolson on July 22nd, 2011 at 9:11 am said:

Li Mei, please!!!

+ TONY-Q on July 22nd, 2011 at 9:13 am said:

woulda been better to use the robert englund freddy, n i dont think i like the 2 claw gloves. u shoulda had him throw flames or something with the other hand. the claws comin up from ground is cool.

+ mgsnull617 on July 22nd, 2011 at 9:15 am said:

wow ppl are stupid enough to buy this crap…..the crap game cost fifty bucks alone but to add more characters is 20 more bucks what ever happened to beating the game to unlock extra players….freddy has one claw in his movies why 2…who makes this stuff up….. whos the next unlockable jigglepuff from pokemon

+ mgsnull617 on July 22nd, 2011 at 9:16 am said:

So is he wolverine, edward sissor hands…… what dogg I thought we get freddy lol

+ madhi19 on July 22nd, 2011 at 9:36 am said:

You should have asked Englund to do some one liners for the character. Plus I can see Jason being next the Kane Hodder era version not the tinny smock that replaced Hodder in the last two movie.

+ ENRICHOVEGA on July 22nd, 2011 at 9:37 am said:

Since you opened the door for horror movie characters… Please add The Tall Man, Pinhead, & Dr. Giggles.

+ Sid Shuman on July 22nd, 2011 at 2:28 pm said:

This would please me.

+ JohnnyX on July 22nd, 2011 at 9:44 am said:

Please say they are releasing more charecters. 4 is not enough. Come on Netherrealms, we all know you want to take some more of our $$$$$. Release more charecters.

+ jamesgrim on July 22nd, 2011 at 9:53 am said:

I think Freddy Krueger will be a great character in MK9. I also think putting Jason, Micheal Myers, and Leatherface would be great additions to MK9 as well. Why not put Dante and Nero from Devil May Cry 4 as a DLC? There hellish looks blends in with most Mk9 characters such as Scorpion, Ermac, Quan-Chi, etc. You should definitely put more serial killers in Mk9 because that would be legit. Thanks and if you all need idea’s i got em’!.

+ Sid Shuman on July 22nd, 2011 at 2:25 pm said:

All good ideas in my book :)

+ guitalex2007 on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:00 am said:

For those complaining about Freddy having two claws. HAVING ONE CLAW WOULDN’T WORK WITH THIS GAME.

Remember the useless Stance Change button? Same as hitting two kicks? Many moves and combos leave the opponent in one of the two stances.

If he had only one claw in his back hand, then did a move so his claw became his front hand, ALL of his combos would change. Either range or damage, making him too inconsistent for anyone to care.

IT’S REALLY A MINOR DETAIL, and a sacrifice done so he can actually use the Front Punch/Back Punch/Stance Change mechanic in this game.

+ XxiUniiQuExX on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:05 am said:

Wow putting freddy in here just makes it more AWSOME!! i love all the dlc characters and cant wait until freddy comes out! im definatly getting the game and the dlc! Thanks PSN! Your the best!

PS: I was wondering when would these games go on sale?- Castle Crashers, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Plants vs Zombies? hopefully soon cuz i really want to get them! and also COD: World at war map pack bundle! im really interested in tht one but its kinda alot $25 :[

+ MsDemeanor12 on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:19 am said:

I miss the “friendships” :)

+ Sid Shuman on July 22nd, 2011 at 2:26 pm said:

Me too! The Babalities help fill the void, however.

+ BAEZE_L on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:25 am said:

Hmmm…. What Is “Cool” About Haveing A Horror Movie PEDOPHILE-SERIAL KILLER As A Playable Character In MORTAL KOMBAT? … I Mean… If You Were To Have Michael Myers As A Playable DLC Choice, THAT Would Be “Cooler” Than Popularizeing A Character Whose Claim To Fame Is That He Was/Is A Serial Murderer AND A PEDOPHILE Who Comes Back From The Dead To Terrorize Children In Their Dreams!!!

I Think That You Guys In The MK Franchise Have Done SomeThing Stupid In Glamourizeing Freddy Kruegar AS A Playable Character.

Really… WHAT Is So “Cool” In THAT Move?

+ juslab on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:26 am said:

I would buy the characters but for 5.99 plus tax for 1 character its too much also the the free pack give 2 costumes anyway so it not like im getting anything new i say sell them at 1.99 and I buy them or come out with a 4 pack deal that cost 9.99 itsjust to pricey for me not gonna spend $18+ on a $60 that I dont play alot anyway

+ Sponge-worthy on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:27 am said:

I don’t like the dual claws.

+ BAEZE_L on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:34 am said:

Hey… I Have A Suggestion To You Mr. Boon… Obviously You MK Dudes Have Been Listening To WAY TOO MUCH “KORN”… So….How About INSTEAD Of “Freddy Kruegar”… (Whose Character Is A “SUPER-PEDOPHILE”.)…

MayBe…. You Can Replace Him With The Hero From That Classic Video Game “SPLATTERHOUSE”!!!

Now… THAT Would Be Freaking AWESOME To Play Mortal Kombat As THAT CHARACTER!!!

+ SEAL_TEAM_7p on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:36 am said:

This may be one of the best guest characters ever. I need this game. Any one who says that this sucks is just too soft to play MK in the first place, Freddy is my hero in the horror genre. HEY BOON please try to get all of the master slasher mentioned above into the game. You are the man.

+ awesomo96 on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:38 am said:

ok, freddys only a pedophile in the new movie, not the originals. i dont wanna sound like everyone else naming off all the horror icons to be put into this game, but ash from army of darkness just needs to be in this game

+ PainOfSarrow on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:46 am said:

why suchh low ratingss ? this is sickk, getting first day haha freddy my hommie of nightmares come true.

+ justin0323 on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:56 am said:

I cant wait.I am a huge freddy fan.I think he will be a great addition to mortal kombat.Thank You Ed Boon! I just hope it dont stop there I hope they add all the the major horror icons into the game. It would be like Terrordrome but much better. This Mortal Kombat is quickly becoming one of the greats.

+ D-Squad3 on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

Kinda random if you ask me, so shouldn’t they bring other horror characters?

+ X_TheSage_X on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:21 am said:

Freddy will be interesting… but i cannot believe that noone has suggested The Predator!!!!!!!!!!!! as an MK fighter ive been thinkin that for years!!!!!!!!!!!

+ GCXtreme_Boombox on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:27 am said:

Alright people, here is the list of Mortal Kombat characters that got denied by Ed Boon on his Twitter.

Shinnok
Fujin
Tremor
Drahmin
Bo’ Rai Cho
Motaro
Mokap
Li Mei
Kira
Mavado
Havik
Chameleon
Hsu Hao
Frost

However, here is the list of Mortal Kombat characters that might be available as a DLC.

Reiko
Tanya
Meat
Daegon
Sareena
Cyber Smoke
Shadow Priest

+ DRCMessiah on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:33 am said:

Hey Boon, Will this DLC fix the 10,000 other problems with the game or just add more?

MK9 + ONLINE = Sad Face

+ xRedxViolence on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:42 am said:

people wanted Mortal Kombat Trilogy but instead we got MK2 and next UMK3 and MK 1 not bad but Trilogy would of done the trick.

PAGE 1 2 3