GTAV PS4

EVO: Ono Discusses Cole in Street Fighter X Tekken, PS Vita Development

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Aug 02, 2011 // Senior Manager, Social Media

While the world’s greatest fighters were trading blows during EVO, I was scrambling to trade words with top fighting game developers who attended the tournament. In recent years, Capcom Producer Yoshinori Ono has become the face of the legendary Street Fighter series and he was on-site showing off the upcoming crossover Street Fighter X Tekken. I wanted to pick his brain concerning his friendly rivalry with Tekken director Katsuhiro Harada, his thoughts on PS Vita development, and why he chose inFAMOUS frontman Cole as an exclusive special guest for the PS3 and PS Vita versions of Street Fighter X Tekken.

Street Fighter x Tekken

PlayStation.Blog: What made you and Harada face off in the Ono X Harada video?

Yoshinori Ono, Producer, Street Fighter X Tekken: We started a tradition at last year’s Comic-con, this kind of a pro-wrestling-style rivalry. The new video is just this year’s version of our wacky rivalry. The game itself has kind of a festival atmosphere, so we didn’t want to be too serious about it. We wanted to bring Tekken fans and Street Fighter fans to the same table, and the best tool for something like that is humor.

PSB: On that note, what was the genesis of Street Fighter X Tekken? Who came to who?

Ono: It’s something we’ve both wanted to do for a long time. We’ve known each other for a long time, and years ago we’d have dinner and talk about the idea. But we were in different companies, so there was kind of an invisible wall between us…especially to combine our top brands and mix them together, that would have been unheard of a few years ago.

At one point, Capcom got out of fighting games for a little while. By the time we got back into them, I had risen within the company a bit; Harada had as well. So we have more political capital to make things happen back in the home office, so to speak. So it seemed like the right time to make something happen, and sure enough we pulled it off.

We actually set up a meeting between the presidents of both companies (Capcom and Namco Bandai). I was a little nervous — I thought they might back out or be lukewarm on the idea. Sixty seconds later, they’re shaking hands and the deal is done. So this was the right time to do this.

PSB: What are some other series that you have considered a crossover with? I know that, in the US, many fans would love to see a Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat…

Ono: I actually get a lot of requests for Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat on my Twitter feed and elsewhere. I understand why people want it, but it’s easier said than done. Having Chun Li getting her spine ripped out, or Ryu’s head bouncing off the floor….it doesn’t necessarily match.

But I’ve had a couple of dream projects in my head for a while, one being Street Fighter X Tekken, which is actually coming true. Another would be a Marvel vs DC game which would be pretty damned cool if we could ever pull it off. I’m a big comic-book fan.

Now if I can get the presidents of those two companies in the same room shaking hands, then we could get something started. I’d love to see that just as a fan!

PSB: It’s got to be tough to combine two radically different fighters; Tekken couldn’t be more different from Street Fighter. What were some ideas you had early on the process that you had to discard?
Ono: There was one feature that we gave up on, but then we brought it back: the Cross Rush combos. When you think of Tekken, it’s always been about aggression and in-your-face combos; dodging a move and then letting the opponent have it. The long Tekken combo strings…we thought, should we put them all in SF X Tekken? At first we thought, should we put them all in there? But if we did, we’d just be making a Tekken game. But we couldn’t take them all out, either, because there wouldn’t be much Tekken-ness left.

So we decided that the Cross Rush would be a good way to mix them together. You have that feel of rapid combos from Tekken, but it still feels like Street Fighter…or more precisely, a bit more Darkstalkers. But it’s sufficiently Capcom-y, so to speak. So the Cross Rush serves as a bridge between the two gameplay styles. It fits in there pretty nicely.

Street Fighter X Tekken for PS3 and PS Vita: ColeStreet Fighter X Tekken for PS3 and PS Vita: Cole

PSB: Tell me why you chose Cole from inFAMOUS for Street Fighter X Tekken. Did you seek him out? Are you an inFAMOUS fan?

Ono: Actually it was 50/50. I had been talking to SCE about perhaps getting Cole into one of our games because he seems well-suited to a fighting game: he’s got all of these cool moves. And it just so happened that, almost simultaneously, Sucker Punch was also wanting to do some sort of tie-in with Street Fighter. So it was a perfect storm, it was almost exactly 50/50. Luckily we could pull off the E3 announcement, which tied in nicely with inFAMOUS 2’s launch.

Here’s a little bit of behind-the-scenes info for you. inFAMOUS 2 was still in development and we didn’t have a lot of visibility into it, so our original version of Cole was mostly based on his appearance in the first inFAMOUS. Then we started talking to Sucker Punch and they showed us inFAMOUS 2 and we said, “Oh crap, he uses weapons now! We don’t have any weapons.” So we went back to the drawing board to make his moves more familiar to inFAMOUS 2 players.

It was a good collaborative process. Sucker Punch offered us a lot of information and data, so we’ve done our best to mimic the way he looks and feels. It was a fun process that’s still ongoing, but it’s been a real pleasure working with those guys.

PSB: How would you describe Cole’s play style?

Ono: If I was going to compare him to any character, it would be Seth — he has a lot of sneaky, tricky moves. I took the latest build of Street Fighter X Tekken up to Sucker Punch just before EVO, and even those guys were wondering if Cole wasn’t too strong [laughs]. So there’s still some tuning to be done. I don’t want to upset Street Fighter and Tekken fans by making the strongest character from neither camp!

PSB: What did you think of your first trip to Sucker Punch’s studio?

Ono: Actually, the impression that I got there was that it felt very Capcom-y to me, a lot like our Osaka office. Clearly these guys love games, and the dedication and energy that they put in reminds me of our Osaka office. And for an American studio, they’re in kind of a unique position in that they’ve worked on the same IP for a long time with a lot of the same time — that’s not necessarily common in America. That part is very much like Capcom. I think we can do something really special together.

All joking aside, I talked to the president of Sucker Punch while I was there about how awesome it would be if SCE, Capcom and Sucker Punch could get together and do something really cool. I plan on taking that conversation to SCE next time I’m there!

The biggest difference between Sucker Punch and Capcom is that those guys have all this free soda and cereal and snacks…Capcom’s way to cheap to do that kind of thing, we have nothing like that! [big laughs]

Street Fighter x TekkenStreet Fighter x Tekken

PSB: Have you played any interesting fighting games lately?

Ono: I’ve been playing a couple of things, and some of them make me feel a little bit bad about myself. One of the reasons we went with a tag system in Street Fighter X Tekken is because I personally loved the first Tekken Tag Tournament so much. In talking to Harada, he dropped that he thought of that in five minutes and it was a simple idea. That made me feel like a dumbass and just reinforced to me what a genius he is. I still do play Tekken Tag Tournament when I can.

I also have a penchant for wacky, over-the-top games so I’ve been playing a lot of Mortal Kombat, enjoying their Story mode. And they did such a good job with their Story mode and some of the other features that I feel like they kind of beat me in that sense. So I’m playing these other fighters and enjoying them, but sometimes it depresses me, too.

As far as upcoming games, I can’t wait to play Skullgirls. It looks like a really cool independent fighter, I’ve been on YouTube checking it out. I would love to meet that team someday, those guys seem like they know what they’re doing.

PSB: There’s obviously going to be a PS Vita version of Street Fighter X Tekken. What’s your philosophy for PS Vita development?

Ono: First of all, it’s always fun to work on new hardware and try new things….We’re doing a lot of customization and tweaking to make sure it’s as good as possible on PS Vita.

The really cool thing about PS Vita, of course, is the wealth of new features: Wifi, 3G, GPS, the gyroscope, and touch panels on both sides. There are all sorts of cool things that we can do with those. We want to take advantage of that and really encourage people to get out into the world with their PS Vita and play Street Fighter X Tekken. And we’re looking at ways to link to the PS3 version as well to get you into the habit of leading a double-life of Street Fighter X Tekken. When you’re out of the house, you play it on PS Vita and then you come home, turn on your PS3 and keep going.

PAGE 1 2

+ shaikhrabi on August 2nd, 2011 at 1:53 pm said:

This is really Cool ..If it was Street Fighter v/s Mortal Kombat i would take Cole against Kratos !! =)

+ Cck17 on August 2nd, 2011 at 2:05 pm said:

Ps3 has a lot of exclusive content for games :o

+ BuchNasty on August 2nd, 2011 at 2:07 pm said:

Lol street fighter vs mortal kombat? You should let whoever is saying that on the twitter know thats a stupid idea. Mortal kombat is not a game that can be crossed over without losing its violence until another violent fighter comes out. I think street fighter x tekken is the best match up personally. Especially since theres such a rivalry between the two sets of fans.

+ Heavenly_king on August 2nd, 2011 at 2:16 pm said:

PLEASE MAKE POISON A WOMAN!!!!! AND NOT “NOT FEMALE”!!!!!! For GOD sake what the hell is happening in today´s gaming industry. I understand that punching in the face a transvestite would be fun in a brawler (final fight) in the US some years ago, but come on, having a “NOT FEMALE” with such body is just plain wrong!!!!

Poison in the Japanese version of final fight was a woman so hopefully CAPCOM will make it that way in this game WORLDWIDE……if not, most probably it will be the first time for me to import a game and learn Japanese :S

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on August 2nd, 2011 at 5:48 pm said:

I don’t want to speak for Capcom here, but my understanding is that Poison started as a woman but was shifted to a “man” for the US home release due to sensitivity over striking women (this was in the early 90s, don’t forget). That led to confusion over time and it kind of blew out of proportion.

+ Budapesti on August 2nd, 2011 at 2:16 pm said:

How about Mortal Kombat vs. DC. That’d make an awesome game!

Oh, wait…

+ poweredbyzen on August 2nd, 2011 at 2:19 pm said:

can we expect nix and kuo to make a cameo?

+ WrekGar on August 2nd, 2011 at 2:34 pm said:

Can’t wait to play as him. Was extremely happy to see another “Sony” hero put into a fighting game. Hhhhmm is a PS version of Smash Brothers in the future?

The PS Blog Stalker
WrekGar

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on August 2nd, 2011 at 5:49 pm said:

That would be awesome! ^_^

+ Detective-E on August 2nd, 2011 at 2:54 pm said:

I would love Marvel vs. DC!

+ NinjaQ9000 on August 2nd, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

Why is cole is damn buff?…anyways he fits right in. ^_^

+ DNAgent on August 2nd, 2011 at 3:43 pm said:

I know the game seems to be focused on tag matches but will there also be 1 vs 1 matches for people who want to take a break from the tag matches?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on August 3rd, 2011 at 12:39 pm said:

Good question. They’ve only shown off the tag model, so I’m not sure…I’ll ask next time!

+ elias820 on August 2nd, 2011 at 3:47 pm said:

@Sid Will Playstation Plus user ever get cross game voice that would be GREAT and many more people would subscribe to Playstation Plus

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on August 3rd, 2011 at 12:39 pm said:

No news to share…

+ VideoGamer35 on August 2nd, 2011 at 3:52 pm said:

Cole in a fighting game…… That’s a really……….. AWESOME IDEA!!!!!

+ bloodrevenged on August 2nd, 2011 at 4:07 pm said:

anyone want a resistance 3 beta key? :( my ps3 messed up and i wont get another for about 2 weeks sooo, someone else can enjoy the beta.

+ Joyce139 on August 2nd, 2011 at 4:08 pm said:

the Evo games on PS Home was sooo entertaining. especially Tekken but I was really impressed by the guy that won the Mortal Combat tournament… I 4got his name, it was Legend somthing (???)

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on August 2nd, 2011 at 5:49 pm said:

I’m glad you got to watch. Exciting, wasn’t it?

+ RichieAppel on August 2nd, 2011 at 4:22 pm said:

Why do these stupid fighting games, keep tacking on characters that don’t belong in the games. Kratos, and Freddy Kruger in Mortal Kombat. Now Cole from InFamous in Street Fighter X Tekken. I realize it’s purely a marketing gimmick, but it’s a really stupid gimmick.

+ nirojan45 on August 2nd, 2011 at 4:28 pm said:

@5 That already happened buddy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_vs._DC_Universe
Came out back in ’08 for PS3/360!

+ explodingbullet on August 2nd, 2011 at 4:38 pm said:

@bloodrevenged ill take that beta code if you dont mind and ill add you to my freinds list if you ever wanna play ac2 or cod bo

+ IceSamurai on August 2nd, 2011 at 4:45 pm said:

I hope Street Fighter X Mortal Kombat does not happen, I wish DC Vs Marvel happens soon. And what about Namco X Capcom? I only play it for like a hour in japanese (Which i don’t know) and it was SUPER Fun. Sony needs to bring that to PSN.

+ Badmamajamma on August 2nd, 2011 at 4:58 pm said:

How about a giant game called FIGHT fighter where every fighter from every fighting game ever created would appear in it. You dream the fight it happens. Night Crawler vs Eddie Gordo, Skarlett vs Superman, Scorpion vs Ghost Rider, King vs Nightmare, I can’t even begin to name them all.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on August 3rd, 2011 at 12:53 pm said:

That would kick so much ass. On a similar note, I’d love to see a deathmatch-style shooter with all the big FPS characters fighting it out — Doom guy, Duke, Quake, etc.

+ NEJI64 on August 2nd, 2011 at 5:08 pm said:

PlayStation vs Capcom now that’s a fighting game that can work.

PlayStation fighters…
Kratos
Cole
Nariko
Ratchet
Clank
Sly Cooper
Sackboy
Zeus
Kessler
Nix
Kou
N. Drake
and could be fighters….. a Helghast and Chimera.

+ Keyeszx on August 2nd, 2011 at 5:27 pm said:

@2 Not really. It’s just developers are finally seeing what a great system PS3 is and shouldn’t have left them out in the rain.

+ FireDragonGod on August 2nd, 2011 at 9:00 pm said:

This Is All Cool :)

Imma Pick Up A Vita & SF X Tekken 4 It Next Summer

+ GeneralChaz9 on August 2nd, 2011 at 9:09 pm said:

MK vs Street Fighter would be amazing, but it would be hard to make…maybe bring back MK friendships? XD Good times…

How about a Sony vs Microsoft game? You know, Kratos vs Master Cheif. Or is that going too far? lol :D

+ DemoniOtaku on August 2nd, 2011 at 10:14 pm said:

@Heavenly_king, You still can buy the jappanese edition of the game if in the US it’s “NOT FEMALE”

Trapguy? WHY NOT?

+ DCS-Tekken on August 2nd, 2011 at 11:09 pm said:

LOL! POISON FTW!

We all know she was a girl to start with… USA messed her up… SHAME on them! back in those days what were they thinking…

Hopefully this game fixes the Poison Problem once and for all!

By: DCS

+ loadstone007 on August 3rd, 2011 at 12:47 am said:

I liked what I read about the PS Vita plans!
Now I hope to see the same with FIFA 12!

+ ToFeY on August 3rd, 2011 at 2:35 am said:

LOL ;O
cole looks so wrong in the picture

+ KOENSIGG123 on August 3rd, 2011 at 7:57 am said:

when will ps vita come out?

+ abbasman47 on August 3rd, 2011 at 10:28 am said:

PLEASE ANSWER…..is cole going to be playable ONLY ON the PS VITA version of the game?, or both the PS3 and the PS VITA version?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on August 3rd, 2011 at 12:54 pm said:

Both, as far as I understand.

+ abbasman47 on August 3rd, 2011 at 10:30 am said:

@28 KOENSIGG123 – at E3 2011, they announced that it will be released some time in the holiday, but i think , i am not 100% sure…

+ pooju5 on August 3rd, 2011 at 11:21 am said:

is minecraft going to be on vita?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on August 3rd, 2011 at 12:54 pm said:

No clue, haven’t heard a peep.

+ WelmoscaBR on August 3rd, 2011 at 11:38 am said:

bloodrevenged hey my friend can you give to me?I’m so excited to play the beta.

Well this game will be awesome…and cole too…but I’m waiting more for tekken vs street fighter…It would be awesome if we have cole there too.

+ WelmoscaBR on August 3rd, 2011 at 11:38 am said:

@bloodrevenged – hey my friend can you give to me?I’m so excited to play the beta.

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on August 3rd, 2011 at 1:02 pm said:

Cole looks awesome!, sadly I don’t buy anything from Capcom anymore, since they love to screw their fans

+ Laviathan19 on August 3rd, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

Alright; I want a PSVita, ‘nough said. I think this game will rock on a launch lineup (hopefully a planned launch game?) and would be a great way to transition between being out-and-about and getting home to continue your save file.

What I’m more concerned with, though, is whether it’d be a good idea or not to get the 3G version. As I understand it, the Near function/app on the PSVita uses GPS to approximate distance to other Vita users, and only the 3G hardware could make use of that. AT&T isn’t doing unlimited plans anymore, and those who are lucky enough to still have them are going to get charged extra for “excessive usage” and have their connection rate slowed. Sure it’s only the top 5% of data users, but when you look at average data consumption with online gaming (not the best way to allocate data/bandwidth usage on a cell plan in general) I can only see people reaching that data treshold within a few hours. I think the jeers, and faux cheers, from the crowd at E3 say enough from industry professionals, without even going for the cries from the general public who have an interest.

You know if Sony has any plans to renege on it’s “agreement” with AT&T?

+ YuukiFayt on August 3rd, 2011 at 3:56 pm said:

wtf did they do to cole? dont put him ons teroids goddamit

+ Marioface5 on August 3rd, 2011 at 8:26 pm said:

I understand that this is a fighting game, and that everyone is traditionally ripped because of that, but I think it would be a lot better if Cole looked like he’s supposed to. Cole’s strength comes from his powers, even his melee attacks in the games involve electricity. Giving him huge muscles and that weird face makes him look really bad.

+ Marioface5 on August 3rd, 2011 at 8:29 pm said:

Sorry for the double comment, but I forgot to mention another thing that goes against the ripped Cole. A huge part of both games is Cole’s parkour abilities; he’s a fairly light and agile character. So again, it really doesn’t make sense to buff him out.

+ Burning_Typhoon on August 3rd, 2011 at 8:39 pm said:

I’m not going to spend too much time here, and read everyone’s post… But, the entire thing with Poison being a woman in Japan is a myth.

Poison was never intended to be a man; even by the character’s creator… She was a man in drag in the original version of Final Fight, in Japan. And, Capcom US, thinking “he” was a man, changed him to a man, if that makes since…

And, at some point, Capcom JP made Poison into a pre-op transsexual. And, at the same time, Capcom US made “her” a Post-op…. But, either way, to me, she’s post op because, well, look at those shorts… (and, she’s going to be whatever you want her to be in your mind).

But, whatever. With all of the over-exaggerated of bodies in video games. She’s modeled to look like a woman, regardless of what “her” back story is. And, certain things aren’t rendered in a T-Rated Capcom fighter, if you get what I mean.

And, just because she “used” to be something is no excuse for her not to be hit. She’s hitting others too, and not a punching bag bonus stage that’s tied to a rope. That would be wrong.

+ Burning_Typhoon on August 3rd, 2011 at 8:44 pm said:

Sorry to double post, but. in the second paragraph, “And, Capcom US, thinking “he” was a *woman, changed him to a man…” I know, it didn’t make much sense to me either when I read it, that’s why I added “if that makes sense”…. my mind is somewhere else….

Again, no matter what you think of poison’s past, he, or she is a transsexual, regardless of if you think she is due to the myth, or, you know the actual story… So, don’t get too much into it. Her character model is modeled after a woman, so, take it as that, in my opinion.

+ MadMeat001 on August 4th, 2011 at 12:04 am said:

hmm I was send during the end of the interview :(

+ MadPowerBomber on August 4th, 2011 at 12:37 am said:

Poison is a guy pretending to be a girl. Always has been, and prolly always will be (as is stated in All About Capcom several years ago). In the original Final Fight (the uncensored version) the voice acting for Poison was done by a guy… pretending to be a girl. It was only in the Super Nintendo version that the game was censored, Poison and herm’s buddy, Roxy, were removed and replaced by Cid and another fellow. That was all Nintendo’s doing, not Capcom’s. (Similar to the blood and gore and fatalities of the original Mortal Kombat being removed from the Super Nintendo version of the game.)

Poison’s a dude. Read over this for reference, the street fight plot guide taken from all official Capcom of Japan sources: http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/583625-street-fighter/faqs/26094

+ saintaqua on August 4th, 2011 at 9:24 am said:

I like Cole’s look in the game.
I hope we see more cross overs!

+ SBacon54 on August 4th, 2011 at 10:22 am said:

Will Playstation Home be available on Playstation Vita?

+ Kaizer-Tempest on August 4th, 2011 at 11:03 am said:

Cole, how random, but cool!

+ SuNnYBoI on August 4th, 2011 at 1:13 pm said:

@20
You forgot Jak and Daxter.
BUT instead of having a “______ vs Street Fighter,” why not just have a Smash Bros type of thing with only Sony characters developed by Sony? Imagine a Sony franchise icon brawler with:
Crash Bandicoot
Nix
Kuo
Nathan Drake
Harry Flynn
Zoran Lazarevic
Sackboy
[Bonus DLC Characters could be Altair Ibn La-Ahad and Ezio Auditore de Firenze with Ubisoft's permission, considering the AC franchise has PS3 exclusive content for their biggest franchise]

All these top notch characters can be incorporated into a fighter, that way we’d get the best of Sony in one action packed game [let's pretend that PlayStation Move: Heroes didn't happen]. MAKE IT HAPPEN SONY! :D :D

+ spiderboy59 on August 4th, 2011 at 5:05 pm said:

playstation should make a game with all the psn characters

+ spiderboy59 on August 4th, 2011 at 5:13 pm said:

like SuNnYBoI said:

You forgot Jak and Daxter.
Crash Bandicoot
Kuo
Nathan Drake
Harry Flynn
Zoran Lazarevic
Sackboy

+ blackiemist88 on August 4th, 2011 at 5:27 pm said:

UGH…I JUST CAME WHEN HE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT MARVEL VS DC…..COULD U IMAGINE?! A MARVEL VS DC GAME MADE BY CAPCOM……..SONY PLEASE HELP HIM MAKE THIS A REALITY

+ ugo_88 on August 4th, 2011 at 11:15 pm said:

want to mix mortal kombat with another fighting game? then do it with killer instinct!

PAGE 1 2