PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Starhawk: Dylan Jobe Talks Space Combat, Jetpacks

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar + Posted by Rey Gutierrez on Aug 17, 2011 // Senior Social Media Specialist

Greetings from Cologne, Germany! Moments after we wrapped up our PlayStation Gamescom press event, Dylan Jobe and I jumped in front of the camera, and he did what he does best–talk Starhawk. Lightbox Interactive and Santa Monica studios finally revealed the much-anticipated outer space combat settings, as well as a fan favorite from Warhawk — the jetpack (with some new bells and whistles.)

Make sure to watch all three minutes of our interview for the quick skinny for the latest on Starhawk at gamescom. For a more in-depth look, keep an eye out for Jeff’s feature from his behind close door session with Dylan Jobe coming up later this week.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ cavewulf on August 17th, 2011 at 4:19 pm said:

k rain………… and JKar that is an epic idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im goin with that

+ FORMIK on August 17th, 2011 at 4:26 pm said:

Here’s my thoughts on a collector’s edition. Some of my ideas have already been posted, such as:
- Dynamic theme
- Warhawk multiplayer character additions
- Soundtrack
- A figurine (dust collector) of some sort

How about these?
- A comic-book style presentation of the story, as told through the storyboards used to create the campaign
- Behind the scenes videos on the disc to be viewed in the video category of the XMB, or on a separate Blu-Ray
- A keychain that contains some trapped rift energy (since some people like trinkets)

The game’s looking great! I’m looking forward to announcements of additional vehicles.

P.S. My life would be just fine if there was a PSN Pass. I plan on buying the game new, anyway. I wouldn’t want to buy a used game and then jump onto a maintained server. But, that’s a separate argument.

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on August 17th, 2011 at 7:03 pm said:

more good stuff. Keep it coming. We haven’t decided if we’ll do a Collector’s Edition yet but this is good stuff to consider

+ falconsfan07 on August 17th, 2011 at 4:27 pm said:

This game looks better with every video I see of it. I simply cannot wait to get my hands on it. Keep up the good work!

+ cavewulf on August 17th, 2011 at 4:29 pm said:

Jkar the only thing about that is Harvard said the people dont get a swimming lesson. but i see what you mean…

if another map has water players will think u can swim in it then they go in and die.

i am relly onna love the space combat…

Names of maps not named
1.Abandoned Dessert
2.Snowblind (if u guys make a Snow base)
3.Space Station
and so on… you probably have some more maps and names im just givi n u some

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on August 17th, 2011 at 5:33 pm said:

COLLECTORS EDITION SHOULD HAVE A SPECIAL WEAPON MULTIPLAYER …A DRIFT COSTUME FOR HOME….AN XMB THEME AND LETS NOT FORGET A NICE WARHAWK FIGURINE!! NOT THE CHARACTER BUT A WARHAWK PLANE MODEL …I WOULD DEFINITELY PRE ORDER THIS DAY 1!…I UNDERSTAND ITS NOT FOR EVERYONE BUT THATS WHY ITS A COLLECTORS EDITION..ITS FOR COLLECTORS..NOT AVERAGE GAMERS WITH NO MONEY :P

+ ClassicSpyroFan on August 17th, 2011 at 5:51 pm said:

The space looks AWESOME!!!! and I love how the jet pack will come with the game, smart move. Next time can you show us the weapons and stuff like that, because toward the end of the video you see the players lined up with some guns and Id like to know what some of them do. Sweet job so far!!!

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on August 17th, 2011 at 7:04 pm said:

good idea

+ cavewulf on August 17th, 2011 at 6:36 pm said:

when you reveal the vehicles to us be sure to do weapons…. and the build and battl.. like what you can deploy

+ cavewulf on August 17th, 2011 at 6:46 pm said:

I like how u actually see your player get in and out of the vehicle or strap on the jetpack instead of popping in and out of it you guys really did good with that still waiting for the vehicle release and stuff for us fellow warhawk fans

Are there going to be add ons for clothes,maps, and vehicles or just maps and vehicles like in warhawk

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on August 17th, 2011 at 7:02 pm said:

yeah, we wanted to have much more polish this time around. Animating into and out of vehicles seems simple but it makes a big difference on how the game feels. As far as expansions, we are concentrated on the game right now so I have nothing to update you with on that

+ SHINSPIKES on August 17th, 2011 at 6:51 pm said:

Move support?

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on August 17th, 2011 at 7:04 pm said:

not planned at present

+ cavewulf on August 17th, 2011 at 6:55 pm said:

no move support right yet… why does everyone keep askin that question when harvard says not yet

+ Zeo784 on August 17th, 2011 at 6:59 pm said:

Really waiting on this game,looks really fun and creative many games really don’t have much originality in them but boy dose this game have something going for it, good job on this fantastic looking game Lightbox Interactive now if I could only play it aww well going to play good old warhawk to make the waiting a little less painful.

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on August 17th, 2011 at 7:00 pm said:

For us being original or innovative is not enough. The game has to be damn fun. We’ve all seen plenty of games that are so innovative they miss the mark.

+ cavewulf on August 17th, 2011 at 6:59 pm said:

so you guys are doin asingleplayer and multyplayer demo do you guys know what the multiplayer map will be? will itt be 1 like in warhawk or 2 this time?

PLEASE ANSWER…..

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on August 17th, 2011 at 7:04 pm said:

we will have a demo but we’re not ready to release the details yet

+ gameboy0895 on August 17th, 2011 at 7:11 pm said:

The EPIC Starhawk collector’s edition should have:
Miniature Hawk Replica (transformable if possible) or Pistol Replica
Emmett Graves’ Scarf or Rift Energy Crystal. (The rock Emmett juggles in the open trailer video ;))
Starhawk Complete Score (Christopher Lennertz is awesome!)
Concept Art Book (A comic version of the story? ;))

2012 belongs to Starhawk!!!!!!!! Warheads, Lock n’ Load!!

+ rockinjs864 on August 17th, 2011 at 7:31 pm said:

I’m just surprised Harvard is replying so much and he does it on every starhawk post that alone would make me want this game I never seen this in any other devs post

as for collectors edition glowing knife,scarf,steel case of course,mech/hawk, 24 hour double xp and some skins would do it for me no matter the price I would have to bite

+ mikeymonty on August 17th, 2011 at 7:33 pm said:

well done guys. this is shaping up to be game of the year.

+ D-Squad3 on August 17th, 2011 at 9:39 pm said:

I would really want a Starhawk/Mech Statue/Figurine that can transform for the CE.

+ jason_ac on August 17th, 2011 at 10:14 pm said:

A hawk statue would be cool. If it looks like a work of art, not a toy. Look like it’s made out of metal or stone or something.

Also customizations to make us look unique in multiplayer. I want everyone to know that I bought the CE.

A t-shirt.

About jetpacks, you know they were very divisive in Warhawk, right? Many players despised them, while others loved them.

+ Blackdust09 on August 18th, 2011 at 8:22 am said:

ive been playing wwarhawk since thaat game came out!! and trust me me and my friends(even my xbox loving ones) LOVE THIS GAME!!!! me and My friendds are going to get star hawk an take this war to the NXT level!! SPACEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

+ BigSqual on August 18th, 2011 at 8:32 am said:

I would like the collector’s edition to come with

1. Soundtrack
2. Behind the scenes: Actors, developers, music and what have you
3. Transforming toy version of the mech…..would be sweet!
4. And some guy said a poster earlier. Maybe the rift parts glow in the dark.

+ High-Def on August 18th, 2011 at 9:40 am said:

Please NO MOVE SUPPORT. If it doesn’t work with your core mechanics then don’t force it. It ruined SOCOM 4. I’m glad Uncharted 3 refused to put it in.

The game looks great. Keep it up.

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on August 19th, 2011 at 11:56 am said:

No Move support is currently planned

+ cavewulf on August 18th, 2011 at 10:23 am said:

The Space map takes warhawk and starhawk to a whole new level

+ cavewulf on August 18th, 2011 at 10:26 am said:

Hey why dont the players get a swimming lesson ….. it would make it a little better but if ur in the tundra and ur in the water for more thatn 30 seconds u die!- acid sea u die and melt- im just thinkin what u guys would do if u gave us a swimming lesson but hey….

+ cavewulf on August 18th, 2011 at 10:28 am said:

Still waiting for something for us warhawk fans!……maybe we could be able to get the clothes we had from warhawk and wear em in starhawk but then it would defeat the purpose of the space cuz some people dont have helmets

+ cavewulf on August 18th, 2011 at 10:31 am said:

it would look weird

+ cavewulf on August 18th, 2011 at 10:42 am said:

i think there gonna do-weapons,vehicles, and build and battle system (what you can deploy) next that will get us fans rolling

+ WelmoscaBR on August 18th, 2011 at 12:20 pm said:

This is amazing…I’m sold.Since the first gameplay of this game is a must have.

+ mortamur on August 18th, 2011 at 2:47 pm said:

i cant play starhawk im a brig.gen on warhawk but this company gave use a motam that has no internet cords out i cant hock up my wireless so this suks wish i could get online i would pre order it if i had online sony should save some of the ppl buying stuff from psn so thy can help the poor fans out i just need internet plz help me sony

+ DROPGRAVY on August 18th, 2011 at 7:16 pm said:

I want a StarhawK T shirt

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on August 19th, 2011 at 11:55 am said:

Come to PAX

+ doghound62 on August 19th, 2011 at 11:37 am said:

Jetpacks – UUUUUGGGG , hated using them and hated even more playing with them…………………………… -always played other servers – What? No other servers now – hmmm may have to cancel my pre-order. Have to make a decision after the beta I guess. This is turning into a kitchen sink game, throw everything in including the dirty water. Never would have thought in a million years that jetpacks would back.

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on August 19th, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

yeah, play the beta.

+ MarinoBrea on August 19th, 2011 at 2:26 pm said:

@doghound62

Never thought jetpacks would be back? you clearly lack imagination, Starhawk being a game set in space…

+ EL_MACHO_GUERO on August 19th, 2011 at 11:39 pm said:

Santa Monica + Lightbox = The Most Epic 3rd person shooer EVER!… I Can’t wait for this game it looks Freakin’ SWEET!

+ therimescheme on August 25th, 2011 at 8:26 pm said:

(P1/2) I know I’m a little late to the discussion here, but I have a few thoughts on a possible collector’s edition of Starhawk. As someone who has purchased both the original headset bundle back in ’07 and the PSN versions of Warhawk, I’m a huge fan and can’t wait for this game. My ideal collector’s edition would come with some of the following:

-SteelBook case is a must. They’re extremely swanky.
-Definitely a serious (like, more than the dinky 40 or 50 pages that’s now commonplace) artbook. With the rich universe that Starhawk creates, that’s almost a necessity.
-Some physical statue or action figure. Maybe a statue of Emmett or the new Hawk, or an Outcast. Something high-quality and unique to the Starhawk universe. I’m thinking of the sweet Warhawk models handed out to tournament winners in the past as a reference, here.
-Something in-game for multiplayer to indicate who purchased any special or collector’s edition, along the lines of the Golden Lancer in Gears of War 2, Flaming Helmet in Halo: Reach, or the Zealot Armor in Dead Space 2. Maybe a different effect for Emmett’s/the Outcasts’ Rift corruption, or something similar?
-Swanky t-shirt? I think yes.

+ therimescheme on August 25th, 2011 at 8:26 pm said:

(P2/2) -Soundtrack, clearly. That raggedy violin and guitar song that seems to be something of a theme for Starhawk is awesome. Preferably CD-based and not a download token, but I’m not super picky.
-Bonus DVD/Blu-ray with more developer diaries, level design, and all that fun stuff.

Obviously this stuff wouldn’t be cheap, but I think fans who really loved Warhawk would easily shell out a good chunk of change for something that fantastic. If you guys are thinking of any sort of Special Edition, please, make it worthwhile even if that does mean it’s a little pricier. The cheap replica and poor ‘lithographs’ in Dead Space 2 is a prime example of what not to include. These Editions too often nowadays are merely cash-grabbing attempts, and not items intended for true fans, who really like to see all those extra goodies and are in love with a game or series. Killzone 3′s special edition was fantastic, and chock-full of those sweet goodies and stuff a real fan would really care about. That’s the kind of bonus stuff I’d like to see in any sort of Special, Limited, or Collector’s Edition for Starhawk.

Regardless, I can’t wait to play it guys! Looks awesome!

PAGE 1 2 3