PS4 - Transistor

WipEout 2048 Bringing the Birth of Anti-grav Racing to PS Vita

James Gallagher's Avatar + Posted by James Gallagher on Aug 17, 2011 // Blog Manager, SCEE

The WipEout series is synonymous with PlayStation hardware launches and so there’s a warm feeling of familiarity to knowing that WipEout 2048 is coming to PlayStation Vita during the launch window.

The game focuses on the birth of Anti-grav racing and the Liverpool Studio team is keen to focus on how the architecture of the futuristic city shapes both look and gameplay. I caught up with Graeme Ankers and Stuart Tilley out in the sunshine between presentations.

It’s fantastic to see a new WipEout game on its way, particularly one that is looking to take the series in a new direction. We already know that it will support cross platform play allowing Vita and PS3 players to go head-to-head online and I’ve just learned that the soundtrack – a vital ingredient in the WipEout DNA – features new remixes of Underworld and Leftfield tracks from the original game, as well as a new track from Deadmau5.

Can’t wait!

24 Comments

+ Robbie_G_lrish on August 17th, 2011 at 10:27 am said:

This video is private…

+ G-Force08 on August 17th, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

Deadmau5?

Well, I was already planning on getting this game along with the Vita, but if there is a soundtrack sold separately, I would get it just to hear his track. Deadmau5 has some of the best tunes spinning on the 1s and 2s.

+ TarzanSr on August 17th, 2011 at 10:54 am said:

Finally they use YouTube for ebeding videos rather then that other random site! Looks awesome!

+ SpiritThief on August 17th, 2011 at 11:25 am said:

So can I play this on the PS3 too? Will a Vita be required?

Or is 2048 a expansion pack for HD or a stand alone? It going to take more for the Vita to equal a buy for me. I need new RPGs and the cross platform is helping. But no one mentions if these games are buy one it works for both *so your required to have a Vita linked to your PS3. Or if they are two different versions.

Just give me more Wipeout HD I love it. More tracks new or remade I don’t care.

+ boxmyth on August 17th, 2011 at 11:32 am said:

Looking forward to this, but I just hope they don’t repeat those weird modes they put into Wipeout Fury. I stopped playing when those modes appeared.
Just stick to racing fast. That’s what Wipeout is.

+ CaruthK on August 17th, 2011 at 11:36 am said:

This sounds Sweet. I’ve played every WipEout game. Please Please Please put I Remember by Deadmau5 & Kaskade I love that song Plus all the others. If it has Custom Soundtrack Like WipEout Pulse did for PSP I’ll add them myself.

P.S: Don’t make the Trophies as hard as WipEout HD I still ant platinum it yet.

+ Enigma777 on August 17th, 2011 at 12:25 pm said:

God, I love me some Wipeout, and this one looks absolutely stellar!

+ remanutd5 on August 17th, 2011 at 12:27 pm said:

cant wait to play it !!!!!

+ Feisar on August 17th, 2011 at 12:45 pm said:

This is gonna be THE SHIZ ! WHOOO!

+ Feisar on August 17th, 2011 at 12:50 pm said:

So here is a question – if we’ve got VITA vs. PS3 racing, who’s getting the extra tracks to race with? The PS3 version getting 2048 tracks or vice versa? Or *gasp* both?

Also, is this a Japanese launch title so I can import it? ;)

+ MatheAdi on August 17th, 2011 at 12:57 pm said:

I’m really excited for this game!!!! Wipeout HD was so good, this will be more than 2x as awesome!

+ lxcainxl on August 17th, 2011 at 12:57 pm said:

You know,
I’d be happy with addon packs for Wipeout HD that simply gave us the levels and races from the old games: Wipeout, Wipeout XL, & Wipeout 3.

Things seemed better when they were still Psygnosis. :`’(

+ materclobber on August 17th, 2011 at 1:14 pm said:

CAN’T FOR PS VITA AND WIPEOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Playstation vita will change playstation history! I have wipEout HD/Fury and love the game although it’s a hard game if you are a rookie/beginner.

+ Budapesti on August 17th, 2011 at 1:25 pm said:

I remember buying WipEout along with my original Playstation on launch day back in England. WipEout Pure was the first game I bought on PSP. WipEout HD is probably the best looking game on PS3.

This is a must purchase for me.

+ Jonny-man on August 17th, 2011 at 2:01 pm said:

Ahhh, Vita. Looks so awesome. Cannot wait.

+ BlackIceJoe on August 17th, 2011 at 2:48 pm said:

I can’t wait to play this. I just hope after this game out that SCE Liverpool will make other games from their Psygnosis days. Like a new Colony Wars.

+ CASTRADOMIS on August 17th, 2011 at 3:14 pm said:

How will cross platform play work? Will the 2048 tracks be released for HD Fury? If not how will it work?

Also, no unnecessarily hard trophies this time k?

+ BrodiMAN on August 17th, 2011 at 3:19 pm said:

I freaking love Wipeout!!!! This series was bliss under Psygnosis, but it’s downright orgasmic with Studio Liverpool on it.

YESSSS!!!11!!1!!11

+ JEC94 on August 17th, 2011 at 4:43 pm said:

cool

+ Charles_Surge on August 17th, 2011 at 7:52 pm said:

Hey Studio Liverpool, thanks for your work to get the frame rate on 2048 as good as possible for launch! We love ya.

+ crowsticky1234 on August 17th, 2011 at 8:21 pm said:

So hearing about a online campaign and a ghost challenge, I’m very interested in this game and the developers seem to like what Vita is capable of. About the weapon slot, are they saying I can store as many weapons depending on the company I choose like AG Systems or Piranha etc.? If yes, how much can you store? Great Interview.

+ Budapesti on August 18th, 2011 at 1:24 am said:

@BrodiMAN I believe Studio Liverpool actually ARE Psygnosis. They changed their name sometime after Sony bought the developer.

+ WelmoscaBR on August 18th, 2011 at 12:24 pm said:

when I get my hands on Vita I’ll get wipeout for sure.

+ ratsmart9242 on September 14th, 2011 at 4:28 pm said:

I am a huge fan of WipEout, Can’t wait to play it!!