LittleBigPlanet 3

Debut Trailer: Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD for PS3

Stewart Gilray's Avatar + Posted by Stewart Gilray on Sep 15, 2011 // CEO, Just Add Water

Hey everyone! It’s been a while since we visited these hallowed halls to talk about our upcoming PS3 and PS Vita game Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD. If you’ve been following the game’s development closely, you may have caught our announcement that we delayed the release of Stranger’s Wrath HD on the PS3 into the summer from its intended spring release. While summer is almost at an end, we wanted to tell you that the game is in the final part of development right now. We’re in beta and fixing bugs, and doing some last-minute optimizing where we can.

It’s been a long road for us, and we’ve made a whole truck full of updates. We’ve updated EVERY one of 83 characters in the game, the vast majority of the environmental textures, and a lot of the environment geometry. We’ve also completely updated the user interface, added some easter eggs into the game, and a whole raft of unlockable extras — some never seen before, and some rarely seen.

To celebrate being at the end of the development cycle for Stranger’s Wrath, we wanted to share this trailer with you. The trailer looks great but the game looks better: you just can’t capture 60 frames-per-second action in a web trailer!

We hope you enjoy the trailer and we’ll be back very soon to share full release details with you.

PAGE 1 2

+ jgrizzle358 on September 15th, 2011 at 5:08 am said:

did they seriously turn Oddworld into an FPS?

my nostalgia… it’s dying… :(

+ figureguy on September 15th, 2011 at 5:08 am said:

I never played the original and I think it looks great. I just hope since it is going to be for the PS3 as well as Vita, it doesn’t end up getting pushed back to coincide with the release of the VIta. I would rather have the PS3 version now, and the Vita version later.

+ Stewart Gilray on September 15th, 2011 at 5:13 am said:

The PS3 version is coming out before the Vita version :)

+ MarkakaJin on September 15th, 2011 at 5:14 am said:

I heard this game was good the time it came out but never got the chance to play it because I was busy with a particular game. I’m glad this is gonna have the HD treatment and I love how Sony is doing these awesome classic titles remastered in HD. Keep’em coming.
I know this is may be off-topic on this part but will we be able to have an ultimate Ratchet and Clank HD collection from PS2 and PSP? How about Devil May Cry Trilogy HD collection and Fatal Frame Trilogy HD collection?

+ ModernYorkster on September 15th, 2011 at 5:15 am said:

This looks excellent! I’m a big fan on HD remakes if there done correctly and Oddworld: Strangers Wrath looks to be a good port/remake. We’ve all been burned by Ubisofts poor attempts to remake there games in HD, so I’ve actually decided not to purchase any more Ubisoft games to this date. When this is released on the PlayStation Store you guys have my purchase, but I do have afew questions.

1. Will there be a Platinum trophy?

2. Will there be a Demo on release day?

3. Does Abe make any guest appearances?

Best of luck

+ Stewart Gilray on September 15th, 2011 at 5:18 am said:

1. Yes

2. Unsure at this time.

3. No comment.

+ iriihutoR48 on September 15th, 2011 at 5:17 am said:

Looks good. I remember reading that Move support was intended, is that still on? Also, this is a PSN and not retail release, right?

+ Stewart Gilray on September 15th, 2011 at 5:18 am said:

Yes and PSN only, NO retail release.

+ MarkakaJin on September 15th, 2011 at 5:21 am said:

How much will Stranger’s Wrath cost and will there be Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee HD?

+ Stewart Gilray on September 15th, 2011 at 5:23 am said:

We’re not talking about price yet, but it will be reasonable for a PSN title. And yes Munch’s Oddysee HD is also coming later in the year.

+ MarkakaJin on September 15th, 2011 at 5:26 am said:

Oh snap! I will put those 2 games on my money’s worth then. I used to play Abe’s Oddyssee so much back then and I loved the Oddworld games!

+ dante341 on September 15th, 2011 at 5:30 am said:

Can u tell us anything about Abe’s Oddyssee HD ? Has the development started for this game ? Can we expect it next year ?
it is the best one in the series in my opinion

+ DeejayQuest79 on September 15th, 2011 at 5:30 am said:

Agree with jgrizzle358. I remember Oddworld: Abe’s Odyssey fondly. It was definitely not an FPS. I saw the trailer was available, got excited, clicked the link, got disappointed. I’m sure those that didn’t play the original game will not know the difference and will enjoy it for what it is, a good looking and slightly different FPS, but I won’t be buying – unless you are including the original Abe’s Odyssey on the disc or as a DLC like they did with Alice.

+ Stewart Gilray on September 15th, 2011 at 5:33 am said:

Stranger’s Wrath was originally released in 2005 by Oddworld, this version is an HD update. It was the 2nd game they made in 3D.

As it happens, we have JUST started development on “Abe HD” a new title feature Abe as the main character, featuring 2D gameplay.

+ Stoffinator on September 15th, 2011 at 5:35 am said:

I have been waiting for this title for some time now. When you were on PSNation Podcast was always waiting for u to spring a release date. ;-]

+ theXsilentXchild on September 15th, 2011 at 6:00 am said:

I remember this game played and beat it. Shouldn’t of had the Oddworld name tacked onto it though. I Think they did that for marketing reasons as the game felt nothing like the other oddworld games in gameplay or style. I was excited for it when it came out but was very repetitive and bland as the game went on. Maybe it will get a better reach with a newer generation. Much rather see a new oddworld with abe as the hero again but he hasn’t be since 1998. Also with the ups and downs with Oddworld Inhabitants quintology it is doubtful .

+ Stewart Gilray on September 15th, 2011 at 6:53 am said:

Well, we are working on a new Abe title, and will also be starting work next year on Squeek’s Oddysee, the 3rd game in the Quintology :)

+ jh6269 on September 15th, 2011 at 6:00 am said:

Never played the original, or any of the Oddworld games for that matter, but really looking forward to this and the other HD remakes! Heard you on the PSNation PodCast talking about this, and have been hoping to play this ever since.

+ RE_Player on September 15th, 2011 at 6:04 am said:

Since this is a PSN release any chance of it launching with a 20% Plus discount like other downloadable games have done recently? I find that when a game is discounted at launch for Plus members I end up buying it instantly.

+ JUGGALO414 on September 15th, 2011 at 6:15 am said:

i used to love the oddworld games but this one is an insult to the original. can’t game developers think of games anymore that are NOT first person shooters or RPGs? i get so sick of the same games over and over *caugh* call of duty.

+ Stewart Gilray on September 15th, 2011 at 6:50 am said:

Actually, the original team mate this for another platform 6 years ago, so I’m not seeing how it is an insult to the original?

Anyway, as it stands, we are making a new Abe 2D title now :)

+ OrganicShadow on September 15th, 2011 at 6:28 am said:

so wait, is Abe HD a brand new title? or is that the name of the HD remake of Abe’s Oddysee? (3D engine but 2D gameplay)

i’m starting to get confused as to which titles are what, and which one’s are remakes and which are just re-releases.

+ hush404 on September 15th, 2011 at 6:32 am said:

Oooh, the vita is getting some love eh? Very kewl. Is there any word on teh Odd Boxx pack? Is that even coming to PS3?

+ RenderMonk on September 15th, 2011 at 6:34 am said:

So this was originally an Xbox (first system not a 360) exclusive. Now 6 years later, we get a HD remake of the game…..I’m sorry but by leading with the word Oddworld all the time, I was led to believe we were getting an Abe’s Oddesy remake, or new game. Now after watching the trailer, to see MORE regurgitated FPS crap, and one that was an Xbox exclusive half a decade ago at that, I’m very very disappointed. I will not be purchasing this game.

And as a message to sony and all their developers, leave the FPS experience to Xbox, start focusing PS3 on what made PS1, PS2 great. I don’t even need to explain what that is, cause you know! Stop trying to follow and predict trends, and start blazing your own trail, like you did back in the 90’s, and EVRYONE ELSE FOLLOWED YOU! Your fans will follow you, just market it right ,and commit to it, commit as much to it as you have to this failed path you’ve been on for the last 5 years.

+ dilbig5 on September 15th, 2011 at 6:36 am said:

I could never find the original so it’s nice that I can play an updated version. I heard the price was around $15. I really hope so, maybe a discount for Playstation Plus?

+ dilbig5 on September 15th, 2011 at 6:37 am said:

@JUGGALO414

I fail to see how this is anything like Call of Duty.

+ ODINGameslayer on September 15th, 2011 at 6:56 am said:

I love me some Oddworld, but um…. what’s with the FPS portions?

+ MrSignal on September 15th, 2011 at 7:09 am said:

Looks interesting, gonna look forward to giving the rest of the Oddworld series a go when they hit.

Didn’t get a chance to play the originals so I’m glad for the opportunity. Heard nothing but good things about this.
Otherwise, gonna look forward to hearing more about Oddworld.

+ nwobhmrulz on September 15th, 2011 at 7:18 am said:

Is there ever going to be a kingdom hearts hd collection need some KH to hold me over while we wait for kingdom hearts 3

+ jgrizzle358 on September 15th, 2011 at 7:29 am said:

@22 you’re asking someone who works for Just Add Water about a Square Enix game….

FAIL

+ JonJonXD on September 15th, 2011 at 7:30 am said:

Looks good to me.

PS+ day one discount and I’m sold.

+ jockhotty on September 15th, 2011 at 7:30 am said:

I was forced to play this on Xbox!!!! Anyhow I would prefer you make the next entry to the series, I guess if it requires you to remake the old ones first, so be it. I couldnt help but feel a little charm has been lost by the techy texture changes. Lord forbid you changed the sounds because that would be A REAL INJUSTICE. Please get cracking on the next one, you finally have the tech and capacity you always wanted in making games at your disposal with the ps3/ps4.

+ HEMI707 on September 15th, 2011 at 7:50 am said:

come on guys, we all loved the original oddworld. Why you don’t make HD edition from Abe’s Oddysee and Abe’s Exoddus ?
And from now I am wetting Squeek’s Oddysee.

+ Stewart Gilray on September 15th, 2011 at 7:53 am said:

We are :)

+ CrimsonNemo on September 15th, 2011 at 7:58 am said:

No matter what the price is, I’ll be buying this. Video shows off how great it’s looking and I can’t wait to play it with the PSMove.

+ Bilsebob on September 15th, 2011 at 8:05 am said:

Oh boy,
Rage, Modern Warfare 3, Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath, and then Starhawk. My,my,my. Where can I find the time to play all of these wonderful games? Keep up the great work.

+ PainOfSarrow on September 15th, 2011 at 8:08 am said:

is this 3rd person view ? if not, then goodbye.

+ SarshelYam on September 15th, 2011 at 8:13 am said:

Thanks for swinging by and answering all of our questions Stewart. I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say how excited I am for this release. I thoroughly enjoyed the original release and still own the Xbox version, but you have my money again.

I also know you answered this question, albeit partially, in Question 5 regarding a retail release as it pertains to Stranger’s Wrath, but I have to ask…

Would there be a possibility of a retail released collection down the road? I’m still buying the network release, no doubts on that, and I’m fully aware you probably can’t answer my question as it would greatly offset, or potential offset sales of this release. That said, I love my Odd in tangible, consumable form…forms I can touch, smell…covet and display. I would LOVE a great Collector’s Edition release that included interviews with the team at JAW as you’re all filled with a passion that is so rare in this industry, for a franchise we’ve all grown to love over the years.

I guess what I’m saying is that I’m a spoiled fan of Odd who wants more…and I’d really love a disc on my shelf…

…and a Stranger statue…

…and some Odd boxers…

…and…

+ ABRipperXX on September 15th, 2011 at 8:24 am said:

Very Awesome job guys! I never got to play this back in the day for sure will now. Looks great and good luck with the rest of your projects!

+ GT-420 on September 15th, 2011 at 8:35 am said:

You guys who think this is a new game are funny….I laugh at your ignorance.

Always heard good things about this game but never owned an xbox. I might try it, but would really appreciate a demo, hint hint.

+ rjejr on September 15th, 2011 at 8:41 am said:

Looks good, seems like R&C: Quest for Booty. I was never a big fan of the Abe games. Loved Abe and the setting but the gameplay was too much puzzle trial and error for my liking.

My only complaint – enough with the price withholding already! We all know it’s either going to be $9.99 or $14.99, so just tell people already. I purposely didn’t buy the LBP2 DLC yesterday for springing the price the day before. I’m sure they knew for weeks, if not months, that it was going to be $9.99. Any retail game worth a damn has it’s MSRP out months before it’s released, secret prices are stupid. I’m no longer buying anything if I feel the price is being artificially withheld.

+ Stewart Gilray on September 15th, 2011 at 9:05 am said:

We are not deliberately hiding the price, we just have NOT decided on the price yet, we will be deciding in the next couple of weeks.

+ Zookey on September 15th, 2011 at 8:47 am said:

So wait, if I buy the PS3 version now will I be able to just pop it on to my Vita on launch day or will I have to rebuy the game?

+ Stewart Gilray on September 15th, 2011 at 9:04 am said:

You will need to re-buy the game, but on the plus side, you can use the same save game progress :)

+ EggySong85 on September 15th, 2011 at 8:48 am said:

Woah, did you say move support? I am so in on this!

+ Pukadon on September 15th, 2011 at 9:08 am said:

Fantastic. I loved Strangers Wrath on Xbox, and I’m looking forward to replaying it. Still one of the most exciting and unique shooters ever made.

It’s been too long since Oddworld games were a regular part of my gaming routine – keep ‘em coming!

+ elfbarf on September 15th, 2011 at 9:11 am said:

I know this is the official Playstation website, but I was just curious, are there plans for a PC release of the HD remake?

+ Stewart Gilray on September 15th, 2011 at 9:22 am said:

Ssssssh… Yes :)

+ xoiea on September 15th, 2011 at 9:12 am said:

WoW, shows the age of most commenters, on how ignorant they are and those who keeps pushing of the idea that Just Add Water “remade” Oddworld into an FPS, read the article, it’s just an HD remake from an old Original Xbox exclusive game.

That said, day one purchase, so does the new Abe game you guys are hinting.

+ DeathGazer on September 15th, 2011 at 9:19 am said:

I was worried when this was delayed. Twice.

But that trailer just erased my fears. It looks gorgeous…release date soon, please!

+ Stewart Gilray on September 15th, 2011 at 9:23 am said:

+ Tyfighter80 on September 15th, 2011 at 9:27 am said:

I’m blown away that people are raging because they think this is a brand new game.

You call yourselves huge Oddworld fans and you had no idea this came out 6 years ago? Hokay…

+ zzamaro on September 15th, 2011 at 9:28 am said:

Never played that one, but that’s not an oddworld game. It looks like a Turok game…with 3rd person elements, of course.

+ Darewind on September 15th, 2011 at 9:31 am said:

I hope they make this version work better than the pc releases of oddworld games.They were awful unplayable messes (managed to get a refund from steam due to the issues with the games).

+ Stewart Gilray on September 16th, 2011 at 12:44 am said:

I’m aware this is not the place to discuss this, however the majority of people (excluding ATI users) are now perfectly happy with Stranger. We cannot be held responsible for bugs in drivers.

+ Phillyblunz on September 15th, 2011 at 9:31 am said:

An xbox exclusive that was never intended for PS3??

I dont play COD, and one of the main reasons is they give xbox priority in all matters but especially fine tuning and DLC.

Years later you send us the scraps from the uneaten portion of the xbox’s dinner, yeah thanks.

Bottom line, it wasnt good enough for PS2, so it sure as hell isnt good enough for PS3, thank you come again.

Abes odessey was my very first PLaystation game along with Twisted metal 2, good times, great puzzles, funny, entertaining, original.
Of course the xbox version was a FPS, LOL.

Cant wait for the actual Playstation games in HD and new installation, but wont be buying this.

Cheers.

+ Neil on September 15th, 2011 at 9:58 am said:

I will buy this

+ mcbuttz78 on September 15th, 2011 at 10:21 am said:

i think alot are confusing. the trditional rpg dungoen view for a cod fps view. alot games back in 1998 had this view, It was popluar for dungoen Rpg games .. where you played it like a fps view but i has rpg elements..

I think this will work great for ps move.. the view. I just wonder if it has a rpg element to it becuase thats only way this is going to work..lol

Its glad to see you back :).

+ estrada4955 on September 15th, 2011 at 10:31 am said:

Yes! I’m drooling in anticipation I finally get to play it after 6 years in HD on my ps3 just one question will you be able to switch between first person and third for the shooting portions of the game? That would make my day.

+ mcbuttz78 on September 15th, 2011 at 10:32 am said:

i meant im glad to see you back mr Gilray

+ Kane22_ on September 15th, 2011 at 10:38 am said:

will this game ever come out like soon. its been a very longtime and still no release date. also im afraid u guys are gonna wait on a bust month to release it which is a big mistake.

+ NamesIrish13 on September 15th, 2011 at 10:48 am said:

This is one of those games that you played an really enjoyed playing, but no one you talk to has ever played it.. Which is odd because it was a fun game. Love the animal ammo!!!

+ devilmosh on September 15th, 2011 at 11:47 am said:

I’m looking forward to visiting Oddworld again.

PAGE 1 2