PS4-Infamous

Retro/Grade Rocks the Galaxy’s Face Off, in Reverse

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Sep 28, 2011 // Sr. Social Media Manager

We’ve featured Retro/Grade several times on the PlayStation.Blog over the past couple of years. And so, we know a lot about it: it’s a shooter, controlled with a guitar controller, in reverse. But before Fantastic Fest 2011, I had never seen someone actually play the thing. As a pretty experienced Rock Band-er, I thought I’d be able to jump in and kick some ass, but the reality is, my gaming brain had never been taxed in quite this way.

So we set up a camera for 24 Caret Games’ Matt Gilgenbach, clad in a hard hat, to show you how the game actually plays. He actually beats the game in the first 30 seconds, but that’s not an accident…

While at Fantastic Fest, Destructoid called it “a blast in the pants.” I agree (I think). Retro/Grade will be coming exclusively to PSN in 2012. Hold on to those plastic guitars.

+ dilbig5 on September 28th, 2011 at 10:08 am said:

Looks pretty cool. Too bad I suck at using guitar controls

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Matt Gilgenbach on September 28th, 2011 at 10:38 am said:

You can play with a DualShock if you prefer. Retro/Grade has been designed from the very beginning to be equally fun with the DualShock and the guitar controller, so you aren’t missing out if you don’t want to play with a guitar.

+ D-Squad3 on September 28th, 2011 at 10:10 am said:

Only if I played the guitar. lol

+ infamousXX87XX on September 28th, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

looks good

+ SyrupCakeEater on September 28th, 2011 at 10:24 am said:

Looks really interesting, hope there is a demo some time soon :). Looking forward to playing it.

+ Midgetguy on September 28th, 2011 at 10:24 am said:

I love games like this!

The PS2 was awesome because of all of the really creative original music games that came out on it. (Parappa the Rapper 2, Gitaroo Man, Amplitude, Frequency, etc…)

So far, the current generation has been lacking in terms of really creative, unique music/rhythm games… and this game is definitely a step in the right direction!

Thank you for keeping the music game genre alive! I’m not a fan of guitar hero or rock band… and thankfully, this title is fresh enough to keep me happy!

= )

+ Kirkpad on September 28th, 2011 at 10:33 am said:

Woah! 2012… how many years is that now?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Matt Gilgenbach on September 28th, 2011 at 10:39 am said:

Retro/Grade has been in development for around 3 years now. We have a small team (basically 3 people), so it’s taking us a while to put together the game, but it should be worth the wait.

+ mcbuttz78 on September 28th, 2011 at 10:34 am said:

is the game longer than 30 seconds or less (lol). . Also will gamer with t he gh ,rock band with the banjo’s/ guitars oe w/e they are be able to use those items.? How will the controller layout work..

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Matt Gilgenbach on September 28th, 2011 at 10:44 am said:

You just play with time moving forward for 30 seconds, and then time reverses, and the actual gameplay begins.

You can play with any Playstation 3 guitar controller. With the guitar controller, the colored fret buttons move the ship to the corresponding space lane, strum un-fires your lasers, the whammy bar activates the Retro/Rocket, which is they undo thing, and tilting the guitar activates a score multiplier.

+ mcbuttz78 on September 28th, 2011 at 10:35 am said:

sorry for the errors typos.?

+ Shin-Ra on September 28th, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

1080p 60fps MLAA

You’re one of my heroes of graphical polish.

+ madecrazy on September 28th, 2011 at 10:45 am said:

@mcbuttz78 anything with a whammy bar and the four color string button things can play the game

+ JLP_M on September 28th, 2011 at 11:27 am said:

Holy crap, this game looks interesting. Hmm, 2012. I will def like to hear more of this game!

+ GibbShift on September 28th, 2011 at 12:05 pm said:

Absolutely digging the music. How much do those plastic guitars go for nowadays?

+ plaztiksyke on September 28th, 2011 at 12:34 pm said:

@9, I’m with you!

@12, the music does sound awesome. will it be 24-bit and/or losslessly-compressed while playing in-game? we don’t want another Fret Nice on our hands, which had amusing gameplay and art, but TERRIBLE sounding MP3 assets.

PS: 24-bit doesn’t just mean 16-bit but LOUD. we want decent dynamic range, especially for explosions, not just the top end!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Matt Gilgenbach on September 28th, 2011 at 1:33 pm said:

We haven’t decided our final audio format yet, but we are committed to make sure it sounds great.

+ fester420 on September 28th, 2011 at 12:54 pm said:

Wow we first heard of this game on the blog about 2-3 years ago, I remember because I’ve been wondering if it was ever coming out.

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on September 28th, 2011 at 1:01 pm said:

Real cool idea.

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on September 28th, 2011 at 1:29 pm said:

looks cool, hopefully there will be a demo

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Matt Gilgenbach on September 28th, 2011 at 3:02 pm said:

A demo will be available around the same time we release the game. Thanks!

+ kebebasan on September 28th, 2011 at 2:50 pm said:

This looks really cool.

+ DARKKNIGHT_2518 on September 28th, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

Idk if this is the right type of game for me but ill look into it

+ NATURALGUY on September 28th, 2011 at 3:38 pm said:

What tv model is that one?
i might get it if its cheap.

+ lyfestory on September 28th, 2011 at 4:18 pm said:

does look really cool, but since those music games were never my thing, its good to know ya don’t have to play it using the guitars… you’d probably limit sales that way as well, since a shooter game is a far cry from a music game… im happy there are still devs who are thinking outside the box as well as willing to still do side-scrolling 2d work… i’d like to see more adventure 2d side-scrolling games tho… like Magician Lord was to the NEO-GEO or the Ghosts N Goblins series or Wizards & Warriors… those were fun games…

+ TubaDude49 on September 28th, 2011 at 4:29 pm said:

Been watching this one for quite some time, still love the Terms of Use for the PC demo.

Any chance of being able to use the drum controller?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Matt Gilgenbach on September 28th, 2011 at 5:05 pm said:

I tried implementing drum controls, but it was extremely difficult to control, so we decided against supporting them. Maybe next game!

+ EvoAnubis on September 28th, 2011 at 5:00 pm said:

I saw you try to +1 this for G+, Jeff. It doesn’t work; it never has. I have no idea why. I’ve brought it up here a few times, and then kinda forgot about it.

+ LordRazen38 on September 28th, 2011 at 6:34 pm said:

Are there any news on the DARK SOULS? Or you want to make it a surprise???

+ TubaDude49 on September 28th, 2011 at 7:54 pm said:

As difficult as they might be to control, drums would be a nice alternative. I plan to pick it up either way, but would it really have to wait for the next game? I’m assuming since you got it up and running before it wouldn’t be to terribly hard to add it back in, or at least patch it later.

Of course this is coming from someone who’s played Mega Man on a drum controller and actually enjoyed Donkey Konga. Just a thought. Keep up the good work

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Matt Gilgenbach on September 29th, 2011 at 9:47 am said:

Sorry, what I meant was maybe our next game would be designed around using the drums to control it. I tried to come up with ways to make drum control fun for Retro/Grade, but I wasn’t satisfied with anything I came up with.

+ TubaDude49 on September 28th, 2011 at 7:58 pm said:

Also, would the game recognize RB3 keyboards? Like having the keys shift the ship and the pitch modifier button fire? That would be cool.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Matt Gilgenbach on September 29th, 2011 at 9:49 am said:

I don’t have a Rock Band 3 keyboard, but I will investigate the feasibility of including support. It may not be possible because the controller communication code may be proprietary.

+ kiNG_AzRaeL on September 28th, 2011 at 8:25 pm said:

hey guys, just wanna ask why cant I make a new account for ps3? if I go to the psn sign up through the internet it says under maintenance, but if I go to the ps3 psn sign up, it wont let me make a new account, I tried all kinds of diferent names but it really wont let me make a new one, I even tried qwerty123 and other random names.. can anybody tell me the problem? thanks :)

+ K3ViNPwNz- on September 28th, 2011 at 9:45 pm said:

Where is uncharted 3 mp demo?

+ HGX-SSZ on September 29th, 2011 at 12:38 am said:

woooooo

+ fester420 on September 29th, 2011 at 4:17 am said:

If you add 3D support I will buy it.

+ ODINGameslayer on September 29th, 2011 at 6:39 am said:

Ya know, if you’d told me about it, I wouldn’t have been interested. But after seeing it in action, I gotta say, it was pretty intriguing.

+ patrickmolling on September 29th, 2011 at 12:17 pm said:

Since you can use a dualshock I’m down.

+ NATURALGUY on September 29th, 2011 at 1:13 pm said:

Can someone please tell me what bravia model this tv is?