PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

PlayStation Nation – “Long Live Play” Celebrates YOU

Scott Steinberg's Avatar + Posted by Scott Steinberg on Oct 05, 2011 // VP of Product Marketing

Long Live Play: Celebrates You!

Hello PlayStation Nation,

Early last month, with some ambiguity, we announced that we were looking for a few good gamers to assist us with a special assignment related to our freshly launched Long Live Play campaign. Long Live Play honors gamers from all walks of life and recognizes you for making PlayStation who we are today.

We asked members of the PlayStation Nation to email us with pictures of themselves holding their PS3 controller and in 30 words-or-less, describe how they epitomize the ultimate PlayStation gamer. I know that PlayStation gamers are some of the most impassioned fans in the world, but I was blown away by the thousands of responses that flooded my email.

After weeks of anticipation, I can finally reveal the complete ambition behind Long Live Play. I’m delighted to announce that we’ve painstakingly reviewed each submission and selected a dozen or so die-hard gamers to represent the PlayStation Nation in a brand new Long Live Play campaign that will air on national TV starting October 5th. We think this film provides an insider’s look into what it’s like to be immersed in our universe and why it’s so compelling to game on the PS3.

For those already initiated into the Nation, I think you’ll find this film almost like a game itself. You’ll see a rich layering of different characters from some of your favorite game franchises – including cool everyman Nathan Drake from UNCHARTED, the mighty Kratos from God of War, the nimble Sackboy from LittleBigPlanet, and a monstrous Chimera from Resistance – all gathered together saluting “YOU” the PlayStation gamer. We spent months building out this experience and loaded it with numerous PlayStation Easter eggs. I’m pretty confident it will take several viewings before you find them all. Towards the end of the film be sure to notice the collection of photos of your fellow members of the Nation. This is one small way of demonstrating our sincere “Thanks” and to celebrate your tremendous commitment to PlayStation’s thriving community. And with PS3s available for under $250 – we welcome all gamers to come on board to experience the best in Blu-ray gaming.

It is our hope that this film showcases to all gamers the incredible characters and experiences that make PlayStation 3 the ultimate platform for people who love to game. You know that PlayStation has the industry’s best line-up of exclusive software titles, features highly immersive motion-control and 3D gaming, and free access to vast amounts of sports, movies, TV, games and more on PlayStation Network. Now, with your help, we’re spreading the word so the world knows that PlayStation continues to be the top destination for gaming.

Long Live Play!

311 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 7

+ wsh4and on October 5th, 2011 at 6:10 am said:

Amazing movie, amazing casts.

+ smintja on October 5th, 2011 at 6:12 am said:

SNAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!

+ jpbslayer on October 5th, 2011 at 6:12 am said:

You got to be kidding me right? this was the big announcement——EPIC FAIL

+ WHITEHAWK93 on October 5th, 2011 at 6:12 am said:

Who the heck is michael lol nice video playstation been a fan for yrs cant wait to see what the future has to offer for us gamers.

+ Romansiii on October 5th, 2011 at 6:12 am said:

That was an epic video. I approve.

+ Akibara12 on October 5th, 2011 at 6:13 am said:

THAT WAS AMAZING!!!!! Are those all the voice actors dressed as their characters?!?!?!?! That is awesome if it is.

+ ToFeY on October 5th, 2011 at 6:18 am said:

Eziooooo ;***

+ Stackcluster on October 5th, 2011 at 6:19 am said:

I laughed.

+ madecrazy on October 5th, 2011 at 6:20 am said:

cool video didnt see all that coming and seriously who’s michael off-topic: psvita has release of 3/31/12 says walmart amazon and target who forgot to say this

+ LatinoBoy28 on October 5th, 2011 at 6:21 am said:

Wow. Thanks all I have to say. I love PlayStation and their vids!!!

+ KazeEternal on October 5th, 2011 at 6:21 am said:

Cool.

+ morris1129 on October 5th, 2011 at 6:25 am said:

Cool ad but disappointed it wasn’t something EPIC like a new game or a new feature for XMB like Cross Game Chat.

+ spartan5585 on October 5th, 2011 at 6:26 am said:

*sniff* *sniff* im glad that im a playstation fan =D

+ Peppy-la-Moca on October 5th, 2011 at 6:27 am said:

Lame! Was expecting something worthwhile. I am disappoint…

+ AnthonyDa1nOnli on October 5th, 2011 at 6:28 am said:

This was the biggest freaking let down in recent memory, with all the momentum from vita you follow up with this, how about u upgrade the ps3 to 4.0 already or fix the issue with not being able to change ur psn id, u guys always seem to build up hopes only to make us realize u never listen to anything we really want as ps3 owners… This trend has to reverse it itself or risk pissing off the people who wanna support u… sounds like a rant but in actuality i am just tired of u guys not living up to your potential that we all know sony could do if u would just stop with these bs excuses of fan service, real fan service would be do most of the things on the top of psblog share.. testing my loyalty

+ xMILLZEx on October 5th, 2011 at 6:28 am said:

Well, that was an epic fail.
I know it was only the fans hyping it up to be a new feature for PS3, or Vita, but this is all you can release? An ad campaign about 12 PS3 gamers? FAIL.

+ dude2341 on October 5th, 2011 at 6:31 am said:

That was very AWESOME i like the concept a series of commercials that promote the player! Nice Sony you are showing the costumer that they are appreciated and it is welcome.

+ Apollo4x on October 5th, 2011 at 6:32 am said:

All I have to say is wow. That was COOL AS HELL. When you all posted the post about this I didn’t know what the heck it was so I over looked it, but now to see what you were going at… MAN I WISH I HAD SENT IN A PIC. Next time have a walk on for the big gamer you picked. Like with Michale, at the end have him come walking through the door to this that would of been FREAKING COOL!

+ AnthonyDwyer on October 5th, 2011 at 6:33 am said:

Again another fail. Mind you it’s gamers own fault for expecting something worthwhile from Sony :P

+ that-acmilan-guy on October 5th, 2011 at 6:33 am said:

I got the email to be featured in the Michael ad, but is this the one? I can’t even find myself :(

+ iochu5 on October 5th, 2011 at 6:33 am said:

Osom as hell! great movie ;D

+ sinneD– on October 5th, 2011 at 6:34 am said:

Yeah wikked video, but… still don’t like that the PS3 can’t multitask while doing an install.
Example – I got RAGE last night and the install took like 15 mins. I cant do anything else on the PS3 until that’s done? grrr

+ ThakidIg on October 5th, 2011 at 6:35 am said:

Reward us gamers by bringing back 8days.

+ dilbig5 on October 5th, 2011 at 6:37 am said:

LOL@ all the people still complaining and saying this is a fail video. Any gamer could see that this video is freakin epic.

+ Cannahuana on October 5th, 2011 at 6:37 am said:

made me smile

+ LilWayneSuckz on October 5th, 2011 at 6:38 am said:

Thats pretty cool

+ B_RAN_DO on October 5th, 2011 at 6:38 am said:

Are they going to name the other 11?

+ tdog06051991 on October 5th, 2011 at 6:39 am said:

At least I was expecting something like the customizable Move add where any gamer can put their name and picture in. This sort of makes me angry because I was expecting innovation or a launch date for the PS Vita but all I got was something that was cool but should have been longer. Why restrict it to only one person?

+ nikrel on October 5th, 2011 at 6:40 am said:

I enjoyed the video, wasn’t reading more into it like some people were, but I did not expect this.
Awesome video.

LLPS3

+ Apollo4x on October 5th, 2011 at 6:40 am said:

OK every one CALM DOWN. This isn’t something geared to US it is GEARED to all the hard head losers out there that are sitting on the sidelines about which system to get. Granted it has Easter eggs in it for us Sony gamers but it is still not meant for us. So get over your selves, and as for some of the things that are on the suggestion list give them time and or see if they have said any thing about it any were. I know that the Vita will have some of those features in the system but that is only because when they made the Vita they knew then that the features would be wanted and put the needed amount of memory into the system so as it could actually do it. For some of the suggestions that you guys have put out there it would take Sony to release a newer version of the PS3 and make every one that wants those features to buy that newer version. Personally I am not about to give up the system I have just to get cross chat and what not. So BACK OFF OF SONY and let them do what they can do.

+ AnthonyDwyer on October 5th, 2011 at 6:42 am said:

@24 the video is good, but its a fail from the prospective of a surprise, it’s the equivalent of Sony teasing a big announcement only to send you a pen with your name on it. They could have just released this video today without teasing for it. typical Sony to let the hype snowball over nothing.

+ that-acmilan-guy on October 5th, 2011 at 6:43 am said:

@B_Ran_DO I got to be featured in the ad, in the legal agreement it says the commercial was to be called ‘Michael’. So think this is it… :(

+ remanutd5 on October 5th, 2011 at 6:48 am said:

ok i saw ratchet , sackboy( gotta love his charm and charisma lol) , Snake, sweet tooth , cole , helghast , rico , chimera , drake ( hitting on lighting lol ) , mauer and of course the freaking bad ass Kratos but where the heck is the motorstorm driver ? lol

+ Tailgunna on October 5th, 2011 at 6:49 am said:

brought a tear to my eye… well worth the view, though i think the tease led people to expect something more monumental, dyt?

+ remanutd5 on October 5th, 2011 at 6:51 am said:

yea sony where ARE The Getaway 3 and Eight Days ? you guys stopped production of those games for Eyepet ? come on

+ B_RAN_DO on October 5th, 2011 at 6:52 am said:

@ that-acmilan-guy, I just checked my agreement, didn’t notice that it was named Michael when I signed it. If I was in the video, I couldn’t see it, I thought that the pic would at least be large enough to see clearly.

+ MarkakaJin on October 5th, 2011 at 6:53 am said:

That was actually pretty cool seeing some live action characters from some of the awesome games ever created.
It’s a good ad campaign, nevertheless.

I’ll still say it loud and proud: LONG LIVE PLAY!!!

+ Vaughn21 on October 5th, 2011 at 6:54 am said:

Loved it! Great video. Makes you feel good to be a gamer!

+ Sephir007 on October 5th, 2011 at 6:55 am said:

Great ad, I enjoyed it a lot, but yes we want more features for our PS3 also.

+ LilRican on October 5th, 2011 at 6:56 am said:

LOL Portal and sackboy!!!

+ jazzyrider on October 5th, 2011 at 6:56 am said:

Michael–Seriously?! It should be more like to Kevin Butler! To Kevin…Kevin, Kevin, Kevin!

+ E112279 on October 5th, 2011 at 6:56 am said:

You guys at Sony are starting to get on my nerves. When are you guys going to give us the option to install disk games fully to the hd? Also, how about the option to queue downloads from within a web browser? How about making the XMB more compact while playing a game. The xbox live and functionality team are making you look like rank amateurs.

+ jpbslayer on October 5th, 2011 at 6:59 am said:

@dilbig yes i agree that commercial is awesome and epic —–BUT—- There were commercials leading up t o this day – something was coming for the ps3! i dont think anyone expected an advertising campaign for commercials.. Imagine this, seeing a new ford commercial – dosent say much but eludes to a date—well the date comes – and they bring out a commercial for stuff they already had. wouldnt that seem redundant? a commercial for commercials

+ Death_to_Xbox_ on October 5th, 2011 at 7:00 am said:

Hey you think I use a Wii just look at my screen name. Been a Playstation-er since ’96 my thumbs are happiest with the only game pad I want in my hands.

+ jpbslayer on October 5th, 2011 at 7:00 am said:

and thats what this was —thats why EPIC FAIL. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE QUALITY OF THE VIDEO

+ ratchet678 on October 5th, 2011 at 7:00 am said:

@29, THANK YOU for letting these idiotic people know that this was just sony saying to all the fans for supporting them throughout all the years that have past and future years. For all those that are saying that this was an “EPIC FAIL” by sony, you all are not truly playstation fans and just putting up a front. I’m tired of everytime sony reveals or tease at something; most y’all think its a NEW GAME OR NEW FEATURE/ UPDATE. Quit expecting soo much from one company that actually appreciate the fans and not always about making money!!!! People like that ruin the fun for everyone else!!

+ djnealb on October 5th, 2011 at 7:03 am said:

Dear Sony,
Please abandon the online pass. All it does is hurt those consumers who may not be able to afford to buy games new, but still wants to purchase your products. Used games do NOT hurt your bottom line since they were already bought beforehand as new. If you’re trying to get more people to buy new then there are MUCH better ways to go about it. What id software is doing with Rage is a perfect example. Also, you can try to prevent people from wanting to sell their games by way of new DLC.
Yours truly,
A concerned Sony fan.

P.S.
reference: http://www.destructoid.com/confirmed-online-pass-for-all-future-online-sony-games-212882.phtml

+ Shacojin on October 5th, 2011 at 7:04 am said: