PS4-Infamous

PSN Top Sellers: September 2011 Edition

Morgan Haro's Avatar + Posted by Morgan Haro on Oct 07, 2011 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

Welcome to the inaugural edition of a new monthly post that will reveal, for the first time, the top-selling PlayStation Network games each month. We hope you find this information valuable, and that it gives you some new perspective on popular PSN games that you may have missed. If you’re looking for the most-downloaded movies and TV shows on the PlayStation Video Store, you can find that information here.

Top 20 PSN Games of The Month
Clearly the April 2011 release of Mortal Kombat left PS3 owners wanting more, as the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection earned the top slot in September. Newcomers Resident Evil 4 HD, From Dust, Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, Burnout Crash! and Renegade Ops also made strong showings this month. The original PSone Resident Evil games also proved quite popular — and no, this list does not include PlayStation Plus members who downloaded the games for free.

Drop your thoughts in the comments below and tell us your favorite title from the list, or even your favorite October titles that didn’t make the list.

1.  Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection: This eagerly awaited collection of hit arcade fighters Mortal Kombat, MKII, and MK3 soars to the top of the September PSN sales chart. Finish him!
2. Resident Evil 4
3. From Dust
4. Angry Birds
5. Resident Evil 2
6. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
7. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

8. Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition: This fighting classic and PSN PLAY inductee cracked the top ten in its second month of availability. Check out PlayStation Store for a host of new DLC options, too.
9. Limbo

10. Final Fantasy VII:
This PSone RPG classic shows some remarkable staying power, hanging in the top 10 despite launching on the PlayStation Store more than two years ago. No Phoenix Down needed here!
11. Resident Evil Director’s Cut
12. Parasite Eve II
13. Burnout Crash!
14. Elemental Monster Online Card Game
15. Breath of Fire IV

16. Saints Row 2:
At 7 GB, this open-world crime epic is the largest game on this month’s download list. And at $20, it makes a fine chance to catch up before November’s Saints Row The Third.
17. Renegade Ops
18. Call of Duty Classic
19. Castle Crashers
20. Battlefield 1943

PAGE 1 2

+ Teflon02 on October 7th, 2011 at 7:59 am said:

kool :)

+ Sir_Dr_JM on October 7th, 2011 at 8:01 am said:

Sweet feature!

On a side note, any word on that Uncharted 3 contest for Canadians? ;)

+ Kryshalis on October 7th, 2011 at 8:02 am said:

I think it’s sad that almost half of these games are 10+ years old. What a lame month for PS Store. I bought a PS3 to play *PS3* games on!

+ Carl-G on October 7th, 2011 at 8:09 am said:

A lot of Resident Evil games on that List :D

I want more ‘Bitmap Brothers’ games on PSN + PS2 games on PSN please :-(

+ hypersk_us on October 7th, 2011 at 8:14 am said:

Hey Morgan, just a tip, you should add a comment for every game on the list… I don’t know why only a few “select” games have your comments, but it does not make sense. Reading the post like this leaves me with a feeling that the other games are just not that important.

Except for that, this post is indeed a good idea.

Thanks.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on October 17th, 2011 at 3:15 pm said:

Not sure if we can add a comment to each title due to space limitations with the title thumb, but we’ll consider it!

+ johnnyp70 on October 7th, 2011 at 8:16 am said:

Lots of PS+ freebies or discounts on here. Probably not reflective of what the non-plus gamers are buying. I’d be interested in seeing that list.

+ TomHoang on October 7th, 2011 at 8:25 am said:

@johnnyp70

“and no, this list does not include PlayStation Plus members who downloaded the games for free.”

+ Zeer0id on October 7th, 2011 at 8:25 am said:

Great to see this sort of thing on the Blog. Sales numbers are always interesting to read! And good god, Final Fantasy VII is a beast.

+ Airwalkinman17 on October 7th, 2011 at 8:27 am said:

Those are some awesome games right there! So many fond memories playing those classics (FF7,MK,RE1-4). I really like Renegade Ops and Street Fighter. This month I’m taking advantage of that promo. Going to nab all the new ones. Its like Christmas!!!

+ johnnyp70 on October 7th, 2011 at 8:27 am said:

@ TomHoang

D’oh! Thanks! I really need to read, and not skim.

+ thebgj on October 7th, 2011 at 8:29 am said:

@kryshalis

its part of the changing times. thats why most of the games on here are really old. Just like music and movies, they are all remakes or heavy heavy heavilly influinced by old movies and music. The originals and older stuff will always be better. Its nice to play the new stuff to but you cant ever go wrong with the old stuff.

+ Kartik21 on October 7th, 2011 at 8:29 am said:

Do you have any idea how much FF7 sold on PSN? The game has been in top 10 for almost 2 years now.

+ johnnyp70 on October 7th, 2011 at 8:34 am said:

It will b e interesting to see how the PS2 classics sell. I bought Maximo this week, and I have to wait to play it until the weekend. I am interested in any feedback on the PS2 games performance on the 3.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on October 7th, 2011 at 8:41 am said:

THIS MONTH ISNT OVER YET..SO U STILL THINK INFAMOUS OR ROCKETBIRDS WILL TAKE OVER TOP 1 …WE SHALL SEE..I KNOW FOR A FACT THEY WILL BE ON MY PS3 HDD..ALONG WITH NBA JAM AND OTHER AWESOME PSN GAMES COMING OUT THIS YEAR -

+ k-man450 on October 7th, 2011 at 8:42 am said:

Is this US only or world wide PSN sales?

+ Santos21 on October 7th, 2011 at 8:43 am said:

Great post Morgan! I really like this new post. Hey Morgan any new Uncharted 3 news or posts coming next week? Just saw the desert demo game play and im all pumped for this game! November 1st can come soon enough!

+ KwietStorm on October 7th, 2011 at 8:52 am said:

Final Fantasy VII will never drop off the list

+ Sonicfan11589 on October 7th, 2011 at 8:54 am said:

i have a question, will there ever be a Modnation Racers Game of the Year edition, I tried making it into an idea on PS Share.

+ Zoidzerg on October 7th, 2011 at 8:56 am said:

I have a lot of games but I have only purchased one of those (when it was half off). Huh. Interesting.

Course with all the older/classic games I have already played them to death and sold them off. RE4HD was tempting but I decided that they didn’t put enough effort into the ‘HDing’ of it. I think this month is just the month of nostalgia, with all the HD remakes, the RE anniversary, old games are just on peoples minds right now. They probably do not even need HD remakes but just want to go back to older games. No complaints here, the new games could take pointers in many cases.

Somewhat surprised people are buying RE1-3. Seems like if that is what you wanted you would have nothing to lose by grabbing a PS+ membership. Suppose they just don’t foresee quality freebees down the road (I disagree)?

My off comments aside, I like this feature. I may disagree with the masses often times but it is at least an interesting read to see what is being bought and hypothetically played.

+ RE_Player on October 7th, 2011 at 9:02 am said:

Good to see Final Fantasy 7 still selling, maybe this is a hint that we need a remake… Also glad From Dust is in the top 3.

+ KILLZONE79 on October 7th, 2011 at 9:04 am said:

hey morgan haro, whats going on with PC account management site, it says under maintenance
im talking about the store.playstation.com/login.gvm

+ EggySong85 on October 7th, 2011 at 9:06 am said:

I nabbed RE code Veronica, crysis, breath of fire 4, and final fantasy 8 two days ago. I want to beef up my PS1 classics collection a bit, but why does squeenix insist on charging $10 per game? Really curious about the parasite eve games, and I’m inclined to pick up FF tactics, but maybe I should wait for a vita and get the PSP version. I also want to grab FF9 and (maybe) ff7. What other ps1 RPGs are worth owning? What are some good bargains?

+ Jon_Mclane on October 7th, 2011 at 9:15 am said:

I wish Mortal Kombat Kollection had functional online play

+ jeffsmither on October 7th, 2011 at 9:16 am said:

Nice!
But do you include stuff people get free from PS+? If so, I think you shouldn’t.

+ siriusbee on October 7th, 2011 at 9:25 am said:

@15: Yeah, I’m curious as to which region PSN this list applies to. Is it just the US, or are EU, Japan, etc. etc. included?

+ LilWayneSuckz on October 7th, 2011 at 9:27 am said:

Why is Renegade Ops so low????….I didn’t buy it either :-( I plan on it though

+ digitalman123 on October 7th, 2011 at 9:28 am said:

Cool stuff! I contributed to Limbo sales…

+ jpbslayer on October 7th, 2011 at 9:29 am said:

our favorite october titles that didnt make the list? i thought this list was for april. Great another to blog to us

+ jpbslayer on October 7th, 2011 at 9:31 am said:

umm i meant september

+ ModernYorkster on October 7th, 2011 at 9:32 am said:

I hope to see more PSN Exclusives on that list in the future. I dont understand why players dont support the games that set themselves apart from the rest. Instead the masses purchase rehashed garbage from the latter years. They might as well call it Call of Duty 2012, 2013, etc. Support the developers people, and dont beg for exclusives if your not going to buy them.

+ Rotsujin on October 7th, 2011 at 9:51 am said:

I like the format. Sales numbers would be cool to know too.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on October 7th, 2011 at 9:54 am said:

Cool, but a list is pretty meaningless without numbers.

You could also give us a list of most active multiplayer games like they do on XBL, preferably with numbers.

+ xaos on October 7th, 2011 at 9:55 am said:

Gotta say, I’ve been really impressed with PSN offerings lately, especially happy to see more full games showing up and hopefully the first of many PS2 games coming our way. Good job, and keep ‘em coming, so I can keep giving you my money :)

+ mpb93 on October 7th, 2011 at 9:58 am said:

Payday the heist needs 2 say a date

+ Tremulan777 on October 7th, 2011 at 10:06 am said:

I’ve been playing castlevania hod and is really good. No surprise it’s on 7th place. Sweet!!!

+ FriedConsole on October 7th, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

Elemental Monsters is awesome!!

+ Kirkpad on October 7th, 2011 at 10:27 am said:

I’m expecting God Hand on the charts next month.

@3 makes a good point, only 4 of these games are new. The rest are ports, collections, remasters, etc.

+ lisatsunami on October 7th, 2011 at 10:36 am said:

@Morgan dude, you went from new guy to “manager” in like 3 months?! Congrats!

I like this new blog. I always wonder how well games sell, but am too lazy to actually do my own research. Thanks, 5 bars.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on October 17th, 2011 at 3:17 pm said:

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve always been Community Manager since I started; but certainly been kept busy since I started!

+ cee310 on October 7th, 2011 at 10:41 am said:

@ Morgan Haro can we get an top 20 games played online every month please.

+ JonJonXD on October 7th, 2011 at 10:42 am said:

I actually regret picking up the MK Kollection.

However, Renegade Ops was fantastic, as well as Burnout Crash.

I’m actually in the process of playing through Code Veronica. Great game :)

Oh, and Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is phenomenal. The netcode is really good and everything about it is just fantastic. I picked up all of the DLC for it already. I don’t regret it :)

+ Deathspear666 on October 7th, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

I could really care less about which ones are downloaded the most..all i want to know is when is the 4.0 system update is coming out…

+ boxmyth on October 7th, 2011 at 11:29 am said:

It’d be nice to have these broken down into categories as well, like top 10 PS1 Classics, PS2 Classics (once there are 10+), PSN games, etc…

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on October 17th, 2011 at 3:17 pm said:

Good feedback, thanks!

+ mcbuttz78 on October 7th, 2011 at 11:35 am said:

congrat haro. Also to be fair can omit games that have sold for many months and put them on seprate list of all time or something like that. It would give every new game a fair shake at making the list which good publicty for all games.

mcbuttz78
vp-psn legionarre gorup

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on October 17th, 2011 at 3:20 pm said:

hmm, so maybe Top releases of games that came out that month? Could be interesting; we’ll take a look into it and see if it makes sense, thanks for the feedback!

+ gillettjoe on October 7th, 2011 at 11:38 am said:

Such fond memories of FFVII, I must have completed that game at least 10 times. Would love to see a HD fixed-camera remake.

+ YungShep on October 7th, 2011 at 11:41 am said:

MK Arcade needs a patch… however the list is spot on with pretty much most of my purchases, the list shows that PS3 gamers tend to think alike with game interest. our console is the best because of the diverse library we possess. Picking up Rochard today!

+ Shuklar on October 7th, 2011 at 11:46 am said:

People actually paid for R2/R3? Weird.

+ Rene_Led on October 7th, 2011 at 11:51 am said:

RE2 and 3 are up there since many people picked em up for free with PS+ lol

+ DrPhiill on October 7th, 2011 at 12:07 pm said:

all great games! suck that i dont have enought time to play through them all! And the up coming games wont help AT ALL! :D

+ th4nGthO_241 on October 7th, 2011 at 12:11 pm said:

PLEASE REPLY!!! I DO SUPPORT DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION… WHAT’S WRONG WITH THE US, EU REGIONS HAVE A LOT OF NEW DIGITAL ONES… MAKE THEM AVAILABLE FR DOWNLOAD PLS!!!

+ Shuklar on October 7th, 2011 at 12:13 pm said:

@ Rene_Led

Last line of the second paragraph:

PAGE 1 2