PS4 - Destiny

ModNation Racers: Road Trip – Kart Studio Preview

Mark Wilson's Avatar + Posted by Mark Wilson on Dec 05, 2011 // Community Specialist, San Diego Studios

Welcome to ModNation Monday! In response to questions from loyal ModNation Racers fans, let’s investigate a few features from the Kart Studio in the upcoming ModNation Racers: Road Trip for PS Vita.

1. Kart Parts – Explode View
Yep, it’s as fun as it looks! ModNation Racers: Road Trip for Vita brings you even closer to a true Kart modeling experience (without the sticky toxic smelling glue) with the rotatable “exploded” view of your Kart and it’s customizable components. It’s as simple spreading your thumb and finger on the screen to open and then a pinch to close the view. We can’t say it enough but there is just something intrinsically fun with the tactile feel of using your fingers to “explode” you kart open, spin it around, rinse and repeat!

kart1kart2

2. Drag and Drop
As with the Mod Studio Edit feature, you simply drag and drop your parts and props right onto your Kart. You’ll feel like a real mechanic as you drag a new set of wheels onto your kart or simply touch the color selector and add that “new coat of paint to items like your shocks, engine, seat, etc. The same ease of drag and drop also goes for adding stickers and text to your Kart (or Mod). Drag, drop, rotate, resize, etc… all with ease of using your finger(s). If you have a penchant for sticker mania this feature is your new best friend.

3. Shake To Randomize
ah… finally a way to “encourage” your Kart (or Mod) to randomly transform into your perfect creation… by shaking it! It’s an experience similar to the PS3 randomize feature yet while playing the nickel slots in Vegas. As opposed to your time in a casino, a few shakes of the Vita may find you hitting the road in the car of your dreams!

random

ModNation Racers Road Trip: Recent Features Preview

PS3 ModNation Racers News

This Week’s Top Tracks: Best of PSN ID: PH1LThy31

ModNation Player Profile: PSN ID: PH1LThy31
In our opinion one of ModNation’s most unheralded premier track creators is PH1LThy. He is a VERY respected creator amongst his peers and one of the best track design collaborators in the game. We hope a little long overdue public recognition will garner his tracks a few more eyes. Take a look at his tracks and get ready for some spectacular racing moments. Some off his own personal favorites are … Cliffside, Japanese Tea Garden, Cool Breeze, Green Acres, and Trailblazer. Read PH1LThy’s player profile HERE.

Creations of the Week: Best of PSN ID: Hey-There-You

cotw

Hot Lap Tracks of the Week: Ruins of Aztlan by prob_alex

A truly EPIC track. Never been anything like it, probably never will be.

totw

Monday: Ruins of Aztlan by prob_alex
Tuesday: White Summit Winter Games by IndustrialSavior (an instant classic in my book. Hockey FTW!)
Wednesday: “Red Sun” Oil Factory by marusarusa
Thursday: Junglira Shrine by dane9261
Friday: River of Eternal Life by IndustrialSavior (I loved this track. I actually felt as if I was racing along a beautiful river. Very well done!
Saturday: Immortal Rainforest by atheistsw and PH1LThy31 (Difficult to not choose this as “Track of the WeeK”. Two top creators joined up to create a beautiful track that has to be raced a few times to see everything it has to offer. Five stars at least!
Sunday: Multi-Story Mayhem! by OnePoppa and atheistsw (another great collaboration this week with atheistsw)

If you are interested in submitting your mod, kart or track for consideration as “Creation of the Week,” please visit us on the official ModNation Community site and who knows? You might see your hard work on the PlayStation ModNation Monday blog or in-game on the Hot Lap section of the Modspot. You never know what catches our eye.

ModNation Thursday Fun Races
Join ModNationSD for an evening of fun racing this Thursday from 4:30-5:30 PST. This is a great opportunity to meet some nice people in a casual racing environment. Check our ModNation Facebook page on the day of the race on how to join.

+ JNM-CIM on December 5th, 2011 at 7:27 am said:

The “explode” feature is pretty cool, I like how you can see all of the different parts of the kart with it.

It’s kind of funny cause I was actually thinking of making an Ice hockey arena like in IndustrialSavior’s “White Summit Winter Games”. But I’m glad he did it, cause it looks a lot better than I think I could’ve come up with.

+ Blade133 on December 5th, 2011 at 8:17 am said:

You think glue SMELLS toxic? Try tasting it . . .

+ yellowkillsteveC on December 5th, 2011 at 8:28 am said:

I wanna know if all these touch controls are mandatory?I dont hate touch controls or any thing but it would be nice to just use buttons instead.

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on December 5th, 2011 at 9:35 am said:

No, they are not mandatory.

+ El_Santo_Poly on December 5th, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

Hola mark all this vita features are great but what about ps3 fans? Will be able to play vita tracks on ps3? online races vita-ps3? And the new weapons?
I love the game and community
LONG LIVE MODNATION!!

+ PapaPins on December 5th, 2011 at 9:58 am said:

I really like the intuitive touch controls and the freedom you’ll have to customize. Kind of wish you could incorporate these into ModNation Racers using Playstation Move controls. Any hope on this?

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on December 5th, 2011 at 10:17 am said:

Yeah the touch controls are really cool. No plans to incorporate Move to do this on the PS3 game.

+ zombie9 on December 5th, 2011 at 10:15 am said:

Count me out Vita has NEW memory card’s that are way to expensive for me. We can’t use are old one why?
Who ever decided that vita needed a new kind of memory Stick should be Fired on the spot and removed by security out the Door. Those new memory cards just killed it for me Sorry $300+ for a portable (:

+ KeiKaemon on December 5th, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

Not on topic, but theres no news story about it (Of course, its bad), but whats the whole reasoning behind the “One account per vita” at a time? I have 2 accounts, each with paid items on my PSP, and now suddenly I have to format my card to be able to play it? So these JPN games I have, and have DLC for, are now unusable on the Vita unless I want to format my entire system each time?

That makes no sense.

I have a vita and a multitude of JPN games paid for, but now I have to make the choice: Play them and never have DLC, or format my system all the time.

+ poodude on December 5th, 2011 at 11:32 am said:

Is it possible to turn off the “shake to randomize” feature? I don’t want to spend an hour crafting the perfect kart and then accidently have it randomize on me :p.

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on December 5th, 2011 at 11:51 am said:

Good question. It is only “live” at the first step of creating just like the randomize button.

+ Warped on December 5th, 2011 at 11:41 am said:

Great game!! but would you or anyone else happen to know if there is going to be some kind of PS plus integration with the vita. Like will it be a apart of it just like it is in ps3

+ Behonkiss on December 5th, 2011 at 11:45 am said:

Would you be able to tell us yet if the Career mode in Road Trip will be an all-new campaign with new courses and unlockables, or a repeat of the PS3 version’s campaign? This will probably be the make-or-break factor in me buying it.

Also, is there any more DLC in the works for the PS3 ModNation game?

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on December 5th, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

I know its kind of a tease but we will roll out info on the career mode soon but between you and I, you’ll be pretty happy. :)

+ zekececil14 on December 5th, 2011 at 11:57 am said:

It’s nice and all, but you guys don’t HAVE to keep giving us Road Trip information, I’ve already packed my bags! ^-^ (see what I did there)

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on December 5th, 2011 at 12:04 pm said:

Well played young sir. Well played!

+ Hooligantuan on December 5th, 2011 at 12:17 pm said:

Why are the creations of the week being monopolized by single players?

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on December 5th, 2011 at 12:30 pm said:

I would say “showcased”. When the creation submissions are low I will feature certain creators. :)

+ atheistsw on December 5th, 2011 at 1:35 pm said:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for choosing my collabo projects with PH1LThy31 and OnePoppa as weekend hotlaps, had a great time working on both of them and we’re all really pleased with the end result. :) Was just wondering if you had a chance to play my ‘Yanikuta Gulag’ track, seems to be one of my more popular tracks for quite some time, thought it might have at least gotten a mention in the blog at some point seeing as it was published over 3 weeks ago…

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on December 5th, 2011 at 2:06 pm said:

Yes I did try the track. Very unique!

+ Hooligantuan on December 5th, 2011 at 5:33 pm said:

Seriously.

+ karlhenry86 on December 5th, 2011 at 5:53 pm said:

+ blueDragon666 on December 5th, 2011 at 7:40 pm said:

Please, please let there be a zoom in feature for complex sticker work!! (while your at it put it on PS3 too, not all of us have fancy HDTVs so sticker work is a pain with a blurry screen).

+ Hooligantuan on December 6th, 2011 at 6:25 am said:

What we could really use is a custom sticker/flatten image/merge layers sorta thing. Probably end up being less memory intensive, even.

+ HandsomeDave85 on December 6th, 2011 at 8:43 am said:

Any chance that the PS3 MNR DLC packs might go on sale soon? Maybe for christmas?

+ bigz512 on December 6th, 2011 at 9:25 am said:

My second most anticipated game, beng topped by Gravity Daze.I already payed the 6 games I’m getting at launch in full. Uncharted, Gravity Daze <3, Modnation, WipEout 2048 and Shinobido 2.

Now we play the waiting game :(

+ XxKINGDOM_LORDxX on December 6th, 2011 at 1:23 pm said:

wen does this come out

+ Dusean17 on December 8th, 2011 at 7:04 am said:

I really wish I could get a VITA but my budget would literally kill me if I did that,so for now I’ll just get the PS3 version and have some fun.
Sorry VITA should’ve launched on Christmas