PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Trine 2 Hits PSN Tuesday: A Knight, a Thief, and a Wizard walk into a bar…

Aram Jabbari's Avatar + Posted by Aram Jabbari on Dec 16, 2011 // Manager of PR and Sales, ATLUS

Sorry for the silly post title, PlayStation.Blog amigos; we’re easily carried away. One could even say we’re Trine 2 hard.

Lollerskates, roflcopters, and other meme-related modes of transportation.

Jeer-worthy humor aside, we’re very excited to share with you that Trine 2, sequel to one of the highest-rated PlayStation Network games of all time, is coming to the PlayStation Store next Tuesday, December 20th.

But first: HAMMERTIME!

“What is Trine 2?” you ask, only to suddenly be filled with a powerful rush of guilt at your lack of Trine-related knowledge. “We’ll tell you,” we reply unnecessarily, clearly prepared to offer that information with or without your consent.

Trine 2 is a three-player cooperative action-packed physics-based platformer set in a lush fantasy world of cornea-searing colorful and beauty. Played from a side-scrolling 2D perspective (but breathtakingly rendered with polygons), gamers take control of one of three highly specialized characters — Pontius, the slow yet mighty knight; Zoya, the agile thief; or Amadeus, the crafty wizard — and guide them through puzzles and numerous foes. In addition to a host of improvements, additions, and tweaks over the original Trine, this much-anticipated sequel introduces highly anticipated online multiplayer, letting friends from all over team up and seek adventure.

trine 2 screens

Each character has distinct strengths and weaknesses, requiring the player(s) to properly use their skills to make it over, under, or through spike pits, gaping chasms, fiery hazards, and much more. As they quest and explore, the player can also acquire Experience vials that will ultimately allow them to learn new abilities for their three characters. Pontius, for example, can learn to swing a sword engulfed in flame, while Amadeus can improve his ability to craft multiple objects and even to throw enemies around using his magical powers.

Now, we could go on and on about just how vibrant Trine 2’s visuals are, or how improved it is in every sense over its predecessor. We really could, trust us. But why should we prattle on while we could just reinforce this charming attention grab with some third-party endorsement?

“Trine 2 is a lesson of how a great game should be. Action, platforming, puzzles, an impressive visual design, a great soundtrack, amazing level design and one of the best cooperative modes, both local and online, we have seen in a very long time.” -Vandal Online

“Trine 2 is a genuinely lovable game, and one that I can safely and heartily recommend to nearly everyone.” -GameSpy

“Trine 2 is a perfect sequel: better, bigger and funnier.” -Eurogamer.it

So, to recap… Physics-based action platforming? Check. Some of the most beautiful visuals EVER? Check. Satisfying action and puzzle solving? Check. Local and online support for the game’s beloved three-player cooperative multiplayer? Check.

Check, check, check, check, check… Oh wait, there’s one under the desk.. Check… Sorry, we spilled a box of checks and we’re just counting them. It’s messing up my train of thought as I check, er, write this.

Trine 2 will be available for PlayStation 3 system via the PlayStation Store on Tuesday, 12/20 for a price of $14.99. It is awesome and you should get it.

+ Destiny89 on December 16th, 2011 at 10:23 am said:

Thanks Atlus, i will pick it up and hope to see Persona 5 on PS3 in the near future :D

+ Butters360 on December 16th, 2011 at 10:29 am said:

LOVED the first game. I can’t wait to play the sequel. Love this game’s universe.

+ darkclouds01 on December 16th, 2011 at 10:32 am said:

silly post title or silly post video. If i didn’t know this game was a hit, I definitely would not be sold on this.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on December 16th, 2011 at 1:54 pm said:

darkclouds01,

Because of your comment, I asked the fine folks at PlayStation.Blog to add a second video to the post which is a much more comprehensive glimpse of just how awesome the game is.

Surely now the warm, loving rays of Trine 2 are piercing the darkclouds of your heart?

+ DaWolf619 on December 16th, 2011 at 10:38 am said:

I will by this as soon as it appears in the PS Store. I really enjoyed the first, can’t wait to play this.

+ El_Pollo_CA on December 16th, 2011 at 10:40 am said:

Looking forward to this title, Will there be a discount for plus members?

+ kivi95 on December 16th, 2011 at 10:55 am said:

Why are we in Europe not getting the game THIS YEAR???!!! The xbox360 is even getting the game before us!!!

+ stlthriot on December 16th, 2011 at 11:45 am said:

EXTREMELY excited for this! Ever since I played the first one, I’ve been hoping for and waiting for the 2nd! =D
Day-1 buy for sure!! And, perfect time for Christmas!

+ stlthriot on December 16th, 2011 at 11:48 am said:

Let’s just say, I’d be happy to see many more Trines after this one! Or, even another wicked 3d sidescroller from Frozenbyte!

Soundtrack and graphics are superb!

+ siriusbee on December 16th, 2011 at 11:59 am said:

Heh, this is probably the most irreverent PSN blog post I’ve read. Good stuff :)

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on December 16th, 2011 at 2:26 pm said:

Thank you, we try!

+ MPaullin on December 16th, 2011 at 12:37 pm said:

Plus discount? I will be buying this either way, but saving a few bucks would be nice!

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on December 16th, 2011 at 2:38 pm said:

There is no PlayStation Plus discount planned for Trine 2.

+ Conaaando on December 16th, 2011 at 1:01 pm said:

I’ll be getting this one! :-) :-)

+ SpiritThief on December 16th, 2011 at 1:36 pm said:

Any new changes to the solo play?
Can two local players play with one online player?

Lastly, I hope Frozenbyte keeps this series going, everyone needs to buy this. Only a few more games away until Trine reaches its SOTN era!

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on December 16th, 2011 at 2:45 pm said:

The solo play has certainly seen changes!

For example, Amadeus (the Wizard) is no longer limited by a mana bar; he may create and levitate objects at will. Moreover, all the characters, including Amadeus, have new skills to learn.

Level designs are even more devious; it is far less likely players will be able to bypass hazards and puzzles.

And yes, you may play with two players on one system and a third player across the internets on another. We did that just a couple weeks ago with a member of the gaming press and it went swimmingly well!

We agree—everyone should give the Trine games a go… Tell your friends about it!

+ Sponge-worthy on December 16th, 2011 at 2:15 pm said:

Any QA issues this time around that we should know about? ;)

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on December 16th, 2011 at 2:49 pm said:

.—————.
    | o | o |
    | / |
    | (__ |
    | _____ |
    | |
    ‘—————‘

+ StackedPancakes on December 16th, 2011 at 2:54 pm said:

congratulations on the release. i loved part 1 and will purchase this as soon as i can.
i’m assuming this also has a platinum trophy and is $14.99, yes?
also, any word on Trine avatars?

+ Hell-Raiser-85 on December 16th, 2011 at 3:01 pm said:

Whats the release date for EU? Will it have a platinum trophy like the first one? Loved the first one and hope there will be more DLC this time around.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on December 16th, 2011 at 3:05 pm said:

Hell-Raiser-85,

I’ll be coming to the EU PlayStation Store just a little bit later. Thank you for your patience!

+ Carl-G on December 16th, 2011 at 3:42 pm said:

“A Knight, a Thief, and a Wizard walk into a bar…& the barman says “sorry we are closed for the Knight” The Thief & Wizard go home :D (worse ‘Joke?!?!’ ever sorry) ;)

Loved the 1st game. I will buy this;)

+ Lord_Rinja on December 16th, 2011 at 8:40 pm said:

Trine was incredible. I’m glad we are getting the second game. I’ll be looking forward to it. The Puzzles were pure genius

+ midnightshade on December 16th, 2011 at 9:08 pm said:

Can’t wait for this!!! Loved the first… and it will keep my mind off the fact that SCEA still hasn’t released the skyrim 1.3 patch that came out in every other Territory 2 freakn days ago!!

+ Enigma777 on December 16th, 2011 at 10:08 pm said:

I love your posts Aram. Also I’m looking forward to Trine 2 since I really enjoyed the first one.

+ Darewind on December 16th, 2011 at 10:34 pm said:

I can’t wait to buy and play this on my PS3.I got the original Trine through the humble indie bundle and fell in love with the game.I watched the giantbomb quick look at Trine 2 and watching them play it and seeing it work so well on consoles sold me and convinced me to not buy it on pc and wait for PS3 version.

+ the_FREELANCER on December 16th, 2011 at 10:58 pm said:

Does the PS3 version have 3D or will that come later?

+ SKI2000G on December 16th, 2011 at 11:49 pm said:

Two friends and I have been looking for another perfect co-op experience ever since we spent an entire night playing through Castle Crashers. This is exactly what we’ve been looking for. Trine 2 is penciled in for Wednesday night, and we can’t wait.

+ Elvick_ on December 17th, 2011 at 2:56 am said:

It’s fantastic, got it on Steam. Will buy it on PS3 as soon as I can too.

+ SnoopDoug on December 17th, 2011 at 6:36 am said:

What about a Trine 1 and 2 bundle for $20? I’m trine to get the first one for cheap if you see what I did there.

+ CmdrSinclair on December 17th, 2011 at 1:50 pm said:

Awesome, been waiting forever for this. Loved the first one. Will there be a soundtrack release for this too? Is the music as good as the first was?

+ Spectrum on December 17th, 2011 at 8:44 pm said:

any idea if you will have a bundle of the first game with the add on content? i missed the first one and would like to catch up on it. also any idea when””amy” is coming out?

+ Jedah_PR on December 17th, 2011 at 8:56 pm said:

I loved the first Trine; so getting this one is a no brainer.

+ MalGanis-DL on December 18th, 2011 at 10:06 am said:

Bundle it with the first, i have it on steam and is awesome

+ JonJonXD on December 19th, 2011 at 7:46 am said:

This game = bought.

I really loved Trine when that first came out on PSN. It was an amazing game.

I’m sure this game will be even better.

+ Jedicero on December 19th, 2011 at 4:53 pm said:

Yes! I’ve been waiting for it. Trine was an amazing game and I’m sure Trine 2 will be better. =D

+ Neksotus on December 19th, 2011 at 7:25 pm said:

Definitely gonna buy that as soon as possible, no doubt. Got that platinum trophy in the first Trine, I loved playing it… And this Trine 2 looks even better… Pretty decent christmas gift I think.

+ aNooBis420 on December 20th, 2011 at 12:41 pm said:

when can we expect it so be on the store its almost 3 over still not on..

+ CaptainChubChubs on December 20th, 2011 at 1:16 pm said:

I second you question, my friends and I are sitting here waiting on it to show up T_T