Days Gone

Dec 16

Dec 16

Trine 2 Hits PSN Tuesday: A Knight, a Thief, and a Wizard walk into a bar…

Aram Jabbari's Avatar Posted by Manager of PR and Sales, ATLUS

Sorry for the silly post title, PlayStation.Blog amigos; we’re easily carried away. One could even say we’re Trine 2 hard.

Lollerskates, roflcopters, and other meme-related modes of transportation.

Jeer-worthy humor aside, we’re very excited to share with you that Trine 2, sequel to one of the highest-rated PlayStation Network games of all time, is coming to the PlayStation Store next Tuesday, December 20th.

But first: HAMMERTIME!

“What is Trine 2?” you ask, only to suddenly be filled with a powerful rush of guilt at your lack of Trine-related knowledge. “We’ll tell you,” we reply unnecessarily, clearly prepared to offer that information with or without your consent.

Trine 2 is a three-player cooperative action-packed physics-based platformer set in a lush fantasy world of cornea-searing colorful and beauty. Played from a side-scrolling 2D perspective (but breathtakingly rendered with polygons), gamers take control of one of three highly specialized characters — Pontius, the slow yet mighty knight; Zoya, the agile thief; or Amadeus, the crafty wizard — and guide them through puzzles and numerous foes. In addition to a host of improvements, additions, and tweaks over the original Trine, this much-anticipated sequel introduces highly anticipated online multiplayer, letting friends from all over team up and seek adventure.

trine 2 screens

Each character has distinct strengths and weaknesses, requiring the player(s) to properly use their skills to make it over, under, or through spike pits, gaping chasms, fiery hazards, and much more. As they quest and explore, the player can also acquire Experience vials that will ultimately allow them to learn new abilities for their three characters. Pontius, for example, can learn to swing a sword engulfed in flame, while Amadeus can improve his ability to craft multiple objects and even to throw enemies around using his magical powers.

Now, we could go on and on about just how vibrant Trine 2’s visuals are, or how improved it is in every sense over its predecessor. We really could, trust us. But why should we prattle on while we could just reinforce this charming attention grab with some third-party endorsement?

“Trine 2 is a lesson of how a great game should be. Action, platforming, puzzles, an impressive visual design, a great soundtrack, amazing level design and one of the best cooperative modes, both local and online, we have seen in a very long time.” -Vandal Online

“Trine 2 is a genuinely lovable game, and one that I can safely and heartily recommend to nearly everyone.” -GameSpy

“Trine 2 is a perfect sequel: better, bigger and funnier.” -Eurogamer.it

So, to recap… Physics-based action platforming? Check. Some of the most beautiful visuals EVER? Check. Satisfying action and puzzle solving? Check. Local and online support for the game’s beloved three-player cooperative multiplayer? Check.

Check, check, check, check, check… Oh wait, there’s one under the desk.. Check… Sorry, we spilled a box of checks and we’re just counting them. It’s messing up my train of thought as I check, er, write this.

Trine 2 will be available for PlayStation 3 system via the PlayStation Store on Tuesday, 12/20 for a price of $14.99. It is awesome and you should get it.

Add Your Own

Destiny89 said:

December 16th, 10:23 am

Thanks Atlus, i will pick it up and hope to see Persona 5 on PS3 in the near future :D

Butters360 said:

December 16th, 10:29 am

LOVED the first game. I can’t wait to play the sequel. Love this game’s universe.

darkclouds01 said:

December 16th, 10:32 am

silly post title or silly post video. If i didn’t know this game was a hit, I definitely would not be sold on this.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

Aram Jabbari said:

December 16th, 1:54 pm

darkclouds01,

Because of your comment, I asked the fine folks at PlayStation.Blog to add a second video to the post which is a much more comprehensive glimpse of just how awesome the game is.

Surely now the warm, loving rays of Trine 2 are piercing the darkclouds of your heart?

DaWolf619 said:

December 16th, 10:38 am

I will by this as soon as it appears in the PS Store. I really enjoyed the first, can’t wait to play this.

El_Pollo_CA said:

December 16th, 10:40 am

Looking forward to this title, Will there be a discount for plus members?

kivi95 said:

December 16th, 10:55 am

Why are we in Europe not getting the game THIS YEAR???!!! The xbox360 is even getting the game before us!!!

stlthriot said:

December 16th, 11:45 am

EXTREMELY excited for this! Ever since I played the first one, I’ve been hoping for and waiting for the 2nd! =D
Day-1 buy for sure!! And, perfect time for Christmas!

stlthriot said:

December 16th, 11:48 am

Let’s just say, I’d be happy to see many more Trines after this one! Or, even another wicked 3d sidescroller from Frozenbyte!

Soundtrack and graphics are superb!

siriusbee said:

December 16th, 11:59 am

Heh, this is probably the most irreverent PSN blog post I’ve read. Good stuff :)

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

Aram Jabbari said:

December 16th, 2:26 pm

Thank you, we try!

MPaullin said:

December 16th, 12:37 pm

Plus discount? I will be buying this either way, but saving a few bucks would be nice!

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

Aram Jabbari said:

December 16th, 2:38 pm

There is no PlayStation Plus discount planned for Trine 2.

Conaaando said:

December 16th, 1:01 pm

I’ll be getting this one! :-) :-)

SpiritThief said:

December 16th, 1:36 pm

Any new changes to the solo play?
Can two local players play with one online player?

Lastly, I hope Frozenbyte keeps this series going, everyone needs to buy this. Only a few more games away until Trine reaches its SOTN era!

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

Aram Jabbari said:

December 16th, 2:45 pm

The solo play has certainly seen changes!

For example, Amadeus (the Wizard) is no longer limited by a mana bar; he may create and levitate objects at will. Moreover, all the characters, including Amadeus, have new skills to learn.

Level designs are even more devious; it is far less likely players will be able to bypass hazards and puzzles.

And yes, you may play with two players on one system and a third player across the internets on another. We did that just a couple weeks ago with a member of the gaming press and it went swimmingly well!

We agree—everyone should give the Trine games a go… Tell your friends about it!

Sponge-worthy said:

December 16th, 2:15 pm

Any QA issues this time around that we should know about? ;)

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

Aram Jabbari said:

December 16th, 2:49 pm

.—————.
    | o | o |
    | / |
    | (__ |
    | _____ |
    | |
    ‘—————‘

StackedPancakes said:

December 16th, 2:54 pm

congratulations on the release. i loved part 1 and will purchase this as soon as i can.
i’m assuming this also has a platinum trophy and is $14.99, yes?
also, any word on Trine avatars?

Hell-Raiser-85 said:

December 16th, 3:01 pm

Whats the release date for EU? Will it have a platinum trophy like the first one? Loved the first one and hope there will be more DLC this time around.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

Aram Jabbari said:

December 16th, 3:05 pm

Hell-Raiser-85,

I’ll be coming to the EU PlayStation Store just a little bit later. Thank you for your patience!

Carl-G said:

December 16th, 3:42 pm

“A Knight, a Thief, and a Wizard walk into a bar…& the barman says “sorry we are closed for the Knight” The Thief & Wizard go home :D (worse ‘Joke?!?!’ ever sorry) ;)

Loved the 1st game. I will buy this;)

Lord_Rinja said:

December 16th, 8:40 pm

Trine was incredible. I’m glad we are getting the second game. I’ll be looking forward to it. The Puzzles were pure genius

midnightshade said:

December 16th, 9:08 pm

Can’t wait for this!!! Loved the first… and it will keep my mind off the fact that SCEA still hasn’t released the skyrim 1.3 patch that came out in every other Territory 2 freakn days ago!!

Enigma777 said:

December 16th, 10:08 pm

I love your posts Aram. Also I’m looking forward to Trine 2 since I really enjoyed the first one.

Darewind said:

December 16th, 10:34 pm

I can’t wait to buy and play this on my PS3.I got the original Trine through the humble indie bundle and fell in love with the game.I watched the giantbomb quick look at Trine 2 and watching them play it and seeing it work so well on consoles sold me and convinced me to not buy it on pc and wait for PS3 version.

the_FREELANCER said:

December 16th, 10:58 pm

Does the PS3 version have 3D or will that come later?

SKI2000G said:

December 16th, 11:49 pm

Two friends and I have been looking for another perfect co-op experience ever since we spent an entire night playing through Castle Crashers. This is exactly what we’ve been looking for. Trine 2 is penciled in for Wednesday night, and we can’t wait.

Elvick_ said:

December 17th, 2:56 am

It’s fantastic, got it on Steam. Will buy it on PS3 as soon as I can too.

SnoopDoug said:

December 17th, 6:36 am

What about a Trine 1 and 2 bundle for $20? I’m trine to get the first one for cheap if you see what I did there.

CmdrSinclair said:

December 17th, 1:50 pm

Awesome, been waiting forever for this. Loved the first one. Will there be a soundtrack release for this too? Is the music as good as the first was?

Spectrum said:

December 17th, 8:44 pm

any idea if you will have a bundle of the first game with the add on content? i missed the first one and would like to catch up on it. also any idea when””amy” is coming out?

Jedah_PR said:

December 17th, 8:56 pm

I loved the first Trine; so getting this one is a no brainer.

MalGanis-DL said:

December 18th, 10:06 am

Bundle it with the first, i have it on steam and is awesome

JonJonXD said:

December 19th, 7:46 am

This game = bought.

I really loved Trine when that first came out on PSN. It was an amazing game.

I’m sure this game will be even better.

Jedicero said:

December 19th, 4:53 pm

Yes! I’ve been waiting for it. Trine was an amazing game and I’m sure Trine 2 will be better. =D

Neksotus said:

December 19th, 7:25 pm

Definitely gonna buy that as soon as possible, no doubt. Got that platinum trophy in the first Trine, I loved playing it… And this Trine 2 looks even better… Pretty decent christmas gift I think.

aNooBis420 said:

December 20th, 12:41 pm

when can we expect it so be on the store its almost 3 over still not on..

CaptainChubChubs said:

December 20th, 1:16 pm

I second you question, my friends and I are sitting here waiting on it to show up T_T