Ratchet & Clank PS4

Dec 28

A Twisted Metal Message from David Jaffe

Chad Cox's Avatar Posted by Chad Cox on Dec 28, 2011 // Producer, Twisted Metal

Hey all, we have a special holiday message from David Jaffe, Co-Director of the new Twisted Metal and co-founder of Eat Sleep Play.

While Dave and the team are hard at work finishing up Twisted Metal, he wanted to take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy holiday and make a special holiday announcement!

PAGE 1 3 4 5

+ Grande1313 on December 29th, 2011 at 9:44 am said:

Do you know if there are any future plans to release Twisted Metal Heads On Extra Twisted edition on PSN? I loved that game but unfortunately my slim ps3 isnt backwards compatible….

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:55 am said:

I have not heard of any plans but would love to see that happen! I think that game came out really good and I love all the extras that got packed in. Would love to see a PSN version. No plans at the moment, but I could see it happening down the line.

+ HeavyD-Love on December 29th, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

Hey David – HUGE fan of your work, thanks for posting this.

Will the original Twisted Metal for PS1 from 1995 ever be coming to PSN in digital format? I’d LOVE to get my hands on that classic again. Very surprised it isn’t up there yet.

Thanks again, and I will DEFINITELY be buying Twisted Metal on Valentines Day 2012.

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:54 am said:

Thanks man, I appreciate that!

PS1 as a digital download…well, I can assure you you are not the first to ask, but I’ve heard nothing about it hitting the PSN store. I imagine at some point it would and I’ll do some asking, see what I can find. But as of now, there are no plans that I know of to do a digi release of TM1.

And thank you for buying the new Twisted- that means a lot to us! Thank you!

+ xBlackBloodx on December 29th, 2011 at 11:16 am said:

Wow, David… I’m completely blown away by the amount of responses you’ve given to you’re potential consumers. I really respect that. Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for responding. You and I sorta had a conversation, along with MANY others, when you re-opened a twitter account. I really like that about you. It seems no matter how things may get you really think about US, consumer base, in the long run. That’s totally awesome of you. Even IF i wasn’t a TM, which i COMPLETELY am, i would buy the game JUST to support you guys. Went out on a limb back when god of war came out and bought it before hearing reviews. Got it based on your previous games and wanted to support the team. Played it.. and now… EVERYONE’s at least heard of the game. I would have said played.. but you know fanboys.. saying PS3 SUCKS.. It’s really a shame too. They’re missing out.. Anyway, just read this paragraph back to myself.. thought i was crossing the line of being respectful to being a bit.. creepy.. so i’m gonna shut it now.. Thanks again for the experiences. Really excited about the game. Thanks a lot.

+ THECHAOS0 on December 29th, 2011 at 12:32 pm said:

Sweet. I’ve played Black on PS2 and it was the best one to me.

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:53 am said:

Cool! Yeah, lots of folks say Black is the best one (altho of me, I dig 2 the most…)….hope you- like us- feel the new TM is the best one yet. I really do think it’s the best TM we’ve ever made. No idea if others will agree but man, I’m real proud of this title and the team that made it!

+ BigGunZ071 on December 29th, 2011 at 2:21 pm said:

cant wait for valentines day not only do i get to play smoochie kissy with my wife but i get to blow up plp online in the one of the best games of 2012. i feel for ya dave im still hung over and we still got new years to go..lol oh well only once a year. happy new year everybody

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:51 am said:

Smoochie Kissy with the wife, eh? Well please, focus on one thing at a time sir, least the misses get mad at us for messing up her Valentine’s Day. Last thing we need is for you to call out the name SWEET TOOTH while you’re engaged in a hot and heavy bout of Smoochie Kissy with the wife. :)

Good luck with the hangover and have a great, happy, safe New Year’s!

+ mjc0961 on December 29th, 2011 at 2:37 pm said:

“Hallmark should make a card, don’t you think?!?! :)”

Haha, absolutely. I’d buy that card right before I buy the game (because after I buy the game, it’s straight to playing it, no time for anything else).

Also, I’m just amazed to come back here a day later and see that nearly every comment has been replied to. That’s really something special. Everything you’ve done with this game is awesome, from keeping it a surprise until the E3 reveal to responding to so many fans here on the Playstation Blog and everything in between. Keep up the great work.

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:49 am said:

Cool man- thanks for that.

But please, buy the card AFTER you buy the game just to make sure you don’t run out of money and have to leave the game store empty handed :(….

+ NeoMahi on December 29th, 2011 at 2:43 pm said:

Honestly, HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE seen something like this? So, I’m a big Red Wings fan and I’ve never seen so much red and white at a Red Wings game as I’ve seen in this post. So what I meant was, have you ever seen in your entire life the sort of interaction a developer has with their fans? Pretty much every post has its own unique response from Jaffe himself. I’ve never! If I ever get to form my own studio Jaffe, its a cross-breed of Eat, Sleep, Play and Naughty Dog. That’s really something that differentiates you from the pack. Most developers are really interact with the media and that’s great but, you’ve got a totally different view of things building those personal relationships with your fans. Its out of this world!

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:48 am said:

I have never seen anything like it!!!! I AM SO AMAZING!!!! :)

I keed, I keed! But seriously, as I’ve said before, you guys make it possible for us to do what we love to do for a living, you guys made it possible for me to buy my kids Christmas and Hanukkah presents this year, and you guys are fans of the work we do…why would we NOT take the time to answer questions that you guys took the time our of your lives to post! Goes both way, good sir!

+ NeoMahi on December 29th, 2011 at 2:43 pm said:

Can’t wait for the games release! Myself and my buddies are gearing up. By-the-way, how are we doing on those Slurpee cups for Twisted Metal you wanted? Have we seen those yet? I don’t have a 7-11 around here but my buddy can ship me one from Salt Lake. By-the-way, the box art is friggin awesome. I’m assuming with the MSRB stamp on it, that’s final box art then? Good luck and work hard in the coming months! Then you’ll have to get us the portable version on the Vita to take on the road using…. Transfarring? Is that what its called? Live Free, Ride Hard buddy! Glad you had a great Holiday season thus far!

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:46 am said:

Oh man, I so wanted the Slurpee cups! We even had mock ups made to help sell 7-11 on the idea but alas, it was not meant to be :(. Maybe if the new TM is a big hit, they’ll help us out and give us Slurpee cups for part 2! :)

Glad you like the box art- I do as well! As for it being final, ALMOST. A few minor tweaks (i.e. hair flares out too much on the sides) and it’ll be 100% done.

No Vita plans at the moment but you never know!

Holiday going great, same to you!

+ MadMeat001 on December 29th, 2011 at 2:45 pm said:

So sweet, I also have a question, when we run over people, will they fly away like they used to in twisted metal 2? I ALWAYS LIKED THAT :D

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:42 am said:

When you run over pedestrians they bleed and screem and go flying, sometimes over your car, sometimes under it, sometimes off to the side. It really is lots of fun!

And when you kill an enemy car, two peds emerge: the gunner and the driver. They are on fire and running around. After a few seconds they fall to the ground, dead, and fade away.

If you can run over the gunner before he dies and fades out, you get a random mystery weapon.
    If you can run over the driver before he dies and fades out, you get a small health bonus.

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:44 am said:

If you run over peds they get knocked up over your car, get thrown in front of your car; hell, sometimes they go under your car and come out the other side :)

If you blow up an enemy car, two peds emerge, both on flames and running around.

One is the driver. If you can hit him before he falls to the ground and dies, you get a small health bonus.
    The other is the gunner. If you hit him before he falls and dies, you get a random mystery weapon added to you inventory! Man, I love hitting those guys! :)

+ illmatic329 on December 29th, 2011 at 5:22 pm said:

I really hope ppl Buy this game.. I mean its one of those games that puts memories in your head.. perfect multiplayer and platform.. I cant wait to hop online.. if you getting this ADD me!!

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:41 am said:

You and me both, illmatic! We’d love to have a hit! But honestly, we’ve worked as hard as we could on this game and we’re super proud of it. The rest is up to the gaming Gods….and marketing. :)

As for adding you, sorry but I only add people to my PSN list that I know in real life. :(

+ TIME2DIE on December 29th, 2011 at 5:59 pm said:

Black was asome, Music from the Stones, cant wait…….. great valentimes gift from my wife……

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:39 am said:

You have a nice and – dare I say- Twisted wife! That’s so cool she’s getting you this. You guys should play some split screen together!

+ syk1288 on December 29th, 2011 at 6:15 pm said:

I’m extremely excited for this game! I had the games but never realized how awesome they were till I lost them. I know I played them a lot but just the multiplayer. This time I’m going to try to become on of the best players.

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:38 am said:

First off, love the avatar! Good to see those guys again! :)

I tell you what, I used to think I was a good TM player but then I started meeting the hardest of the hardcore on the net at sites like TMALLIANCE.COM and I was like: woah! I really suck compared to this crew! Man, they found strategies and tactics that we never even intentionally built into the game! Crazy stuff they do! Still, I like that you are gonna try to be one of the best players- the new Twisted should be fun for all levels of players (it’s certainly not designed to be ultra hard core) BUT we did build in a lot of depth so players who wanted to take the game much further than any TM before would have lots of opportunities.

Hope you dig it when it’s done- see ya online!

+ jkuc75sj on December 29th, 2011 at 7:17 pm said:

Hey Mr. Jaffe, Quick Question: If I buy games you made on PSN, do you still get money from it? (Ex.God of War 1, TM1 for PsOne classics, Calling all Cars, etc….)

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:35 am said:

I do not but that is because all of those games are games I worked on when I was an employee of Sony. Sony always had a super generous bonus program for its employees and those games- and my bosses- treated me very well. But once I left, I gave up all opportunities to make back end/bonus on those games. So alas, I don’t see a cent any longer off those titles. Thanks for reminding me…sheesh! :)

+ jrowand on December 29th, 2011 at 8:10 pm said:

I have mine Pre-Ordered and had it for months now and nice to see Twisted Metal Black in the game because I’ve never got to play that game. I do know however that TM Black is online so will it be converted to the PSN online as well?

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:34 am said:

Thanks for the pre-order! Much, much appreciated jrowand!

Sadly, we just didn’t have time to get the online TM:Black working with this download. That would have been very cool but we’re all cranking on the new PS3 title. This download will be a duplicate of the June 2001 release from back in the day :).

+ Enigma777 on December 29th, 2011 at 9:03 pm said:

Mmmmmm, love the smell of free games. Looking forward to February!

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:29 am said:

It’s a damn good smell, I agree! :)

All of us on the team are very much looking forward to February as well! Hope to see ya online!

+ Nightmare_Lord on December 29th, 2011 at 9:11 pm said:

Played every TM game, and even have the download TM 1 on PS3, big fan can’t wait for the new one, I am however confused why all the characters are clowns? maybe I missed the part where you explain that. Would love to know. Also any chance guys are making TM to take advantage of PS Move? would love to use the move controller to control the vehicles, or create a PS move wheel (if one not already out) to take the game to the next level. Also will this one have online? (I don’t recall if that was a go, if not love for it to as playing online would rock)

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:30 am said:

Hey- thanks for playing all the games in the series! Hope you dig the new one the most!

Yes, online is a huge aspect of the new Twisted Metal! 7 ranked modes with up to 16 players and a persistent level up/rank/leaderboard system. Also, a good set of host options for unranked online modes to change up the game. 2-4 local split screen with a number of modes + 2 player online split + a campaign that can be played with 1 or 2 players.

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:24 am said:

Hey! Thanks for playing the whole series so far, hope you dig this new one the most!

I’ll try to answer your questions:

1- They are not all clowns. In the MP it’s factions vs. factions so you’ve got The Sweet Tooth faction (the Clowns), the Dollface Faction (the Dolls), the Mr. Grimm faction (the Skulls); and the Preacher faction (The Holy Men). In single player/campaign, you play one of the three main characters (Tooth, Dollface, Grimm) but in MP, you play as one of the faction members.

2- Game has online in a big way. Local 2-4 split screen, 2P split screen campaign, 2P split screen online, and up to 16 player online with 7 ranked modes with lots of options to adjust how those modes play in unranked.

3- No Move support planned at the moment.

Hope to see you online!

+ David Jaffe on December 30th, 2011 at 12:38 am said:

-No MOVE support planned at the moment.

In single player/campaign, you take on the role of Tooth, Dollface, or Mr. Grimm. But in MP you fight as and against faction members of these main characters (Tooth’s clan is THE CLOWNS; Grimm’s clan is THE SKULLS; Dollface’s clan is THE DOLLS; Preacher’s clan is THE HOLY MEN).

Hope you give the new game a shot and you like what you play!

+ KAPADO on December 29th, 2011 at 9:29 pm said:

Gotta love David Jaffe, I’m buying this game matter of fact preordering it right now from amazon, because I support eat sleep play and the HipHopGamer has a great song in the game.
Canceled my pre order when they pushed the release date to 2012 but this one will stay.
Hail kratos father

+ David Jaffe on December 29th, 2011 at 11:53 pm said:

Cool man- thank you for giving us another shot with the REPREorder! :)

And yeah, I like HHG’s song as well- looking forward to people hearing the whole thing. He just had a little bit of it on his Youtube channel; but yeah, I dig the whole song!

+ OPS_GEAR107 on December 29th, 2011 at 10:19 pm said:

Does Twisted Metal Black have trophy support?

+ David Jaffe on December 29th, 2011 at 11:52 pm said:

Alas, it does not :(. That woulda been cool but we just didn’t have the time to support it. We’re not a huge team and all of our efforts have been going into making sure the new TM is the best we can make it. Hope you give it a play and like it!

+ FonFahbre on December 29th, 2011 at 11:32 pm said:

So many replies. A true developer devoted to it’s fans. Much respect, Jaffe!.

+ David Jaffe on December 29th, 2011 at 11:51 pm said:

We are nothing without all of ya’ll. Thanks for the support and thanks for allowing us to do a job we all love- Happy Holidays!

PAGE 1 3 4 5