Driveclub

PlayStation Blogcast Episode 007: Journey to the Center of CES

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Jan 12, 2012 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Subscription Links:

Even with Nick and I on death’s doorstep (::cough cough::) and Jeff and Rey at CES in Las Vegas, the PlayStation Blogcast marches on with another jam-packed new show! A Journey interview with thatgamecompany CEO Kellee Santiago? Done. An Origin Story for SCE President and Group CEO Andrew House? Confirmed. Starhawk Public Beta details and dates? Oh yes.

And, as always, we’ve got exclusive first details on next week’s PSN game lineup: a couple of “colossal” classics, two well-regarded Tom Clancy PS3 games, and the digital version of Crysis 2. And that’s just the beginning, dear listener…

And we’ve got another exclusive for you: first details on PlayStation Store’s 12 for ‘12 sales event, which cuts 30% off 12 top-rated PSN games (and 50% off for PS Plus subscribers) for one week starting Tuesday, January 17th. Listen to PlayStation Blogcast to learn six of the 12 titles, then check back next week for the full roster.

How’s our driving? We want your feedback, comments, questions, and suggestions, so leave ‘em in the comments below!

Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Sid ShumanOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Jeff Rubenstein

Official PlayStation.Blogcast: Nick SuttnerOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Rey Gutierrez

The Cast

• Sid Shuman – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Jeff Rubenstein – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Manager
  • Rey Gutierrez – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Nick Suttner – PlayStation Sr. Product Evaluator
  • Thanks to Cory Schmitz for our beautiful logo and Dormilón for our rad theme song and show music. Special thanks to Astro Gaming headsets for providing audio gear.
  • [Editor’s note: PSN game release dates are subject to change without notice. Game details are gathered from press releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating descriptions.]

+ Butters360 on January 12th, 2012 at 3:08 pm said:

Journey interview with Ms. Kellee Santiago on Journey?! Count me in! Journey is one of my most anticipated 2012 releases.

+ EvoAnubis on January 12th, 2012 at 3:11 pm said:

Starhawk info? Sold! I had a huge blast with the private beta; can’t wait for more! As a day-one Warhawk player, they really nailed the same feel. The additions with the build and battle system I have reservations about when I first heard of it, but after experiencing it for myself, it adds a lot of depth to the familiar formula.

Want more!

+ ERC1980 on January 12th, 2012 at 3:17 pm said:

I hope you don’t make people with the starhawk vouchers (like me) wait an extra week while plus users get earlier access.

That would be utter BS

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 12th, 2012 at 4:45 pm said:

Stop back tomorrow — the full schedule’s going up on the PS Blog and it’ll answer your questions on timing

+ Butters360 on January 12th, 2012 at 3:36 pm said:

You guys should put out a Blog post congratulating all the AIAS awards SCE WWS were nominated in. UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception leading with 12 nominations!

+ AnAppealToHeaven on January 12th, 2012 at 3:40 pm said:

hey sid, when you going to do your interview with the IO guys about hitman? really looking forward to that and hoping one of my questions gets anstered :)

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 12th, 2012 at 4:45 pm said:

Tomorrow!

+ AnAppealToHeaven on January 12th, 2012 at 3:44 pm said:

*answered

my apologies

+ Dcrazy204 on January 12th, 2012 at 3:47 pm said:

hey im very curious to know which of the 6 of 12 psn game,going to be on sale for psn plus.and also i want to know if rocket knight could be given free this year.Im feeling like not wasting money on game i could possible get from being a psn plus member.I bough back to the future for $10 last summer now is available for free for all psn plus.

+ JH-FallenReaper on January 12th, 2012 at 3:59 pm said:

Damn sony your killing me i havnt bought Ico and Shadow collection,and next month Jak and Dax HD collection plus my most anticipated game TWISTED METAL,and the 12 for 12 deal that ill probably get something out of!thats a good thing tough!

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 12th, 2012 at 4:47 pm said:

GIVE US ALL YOUR MONEY

+ tylerh1701 on January 12th, 2012 at 4:16 pm said:

Games on sale:

Okabu
    Rocket birds
    Payday
    Mortal kobat arcade
    Rochard
    Eufloria

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 12th, 2012 at 4:46 pm said:

Spoilerz! There are 6 more, too, for a total of “12 for ’12.” Check back early next week for the full list of all 12 games to get 30% off (50% off for PS+).

+ Dcrazy204 on January 12th, 2012 at 4:25 pm said:

thank tylerh1701.Im looking forward for payday the heist,mk arcade hd collection,and im hoping infamous festival of blood,sideway ny be on sale too

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 12th, 2012 at 10:35 pm said:

Check back Monday for the full list of 12 for ’12 games! :)

+ GabeP on January 12th, 2012 at 4:29 pm said:

Different feel to this episode with half the ‘B Team’ gone. For some reason I pictured you two talking while in a darkened, creepy room. Assuming Nick still has that man beard going on, definitely adds to the intense atmosphere..

Aaanyways, looking forward to Starhawk beta this Tuesday and Journey when it shows its pretty face. Dibs scarf! Gets quite cold over here in MN. Also, really wish you guys could squeeze out some more info for Dust514 from CCP. A lot of people, including myself, are literally starving for more.

You know, if you guys ever need someone to substitute sometime I’d definitely accept plane tickets and hangout for awhile, just saying :D

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 12th, 2012 at 10:35 pm said:

The office that Jeff and I share is pretty dark and creepy.

+ Crash15 on January 12th, 2012 at 4:33 pm said:

The song is from Folklore. That game is epic I wish it could have been patched for trophies. Great Show like always I want the PS3 controller tethered on vita I mean if the PSP Go can do it why can’t vita.

+ lisatsunami on January 12th, 2012 at 4:48 pm said:

Did you know that whooping cough is making a big comeback in CA? Not to worry you….

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 12th, 2012 at 10:34 pm said:

That must be what I’ve got! ::whoop whoop::

+ Dcrazy204 on January 12th, 2012 at 4:53 pm said:

any chance of ubisoft/konami bringing back tmnt turtles in time reshelled this year?

+ etur0 on January 12th, 2012 at 4:54 pm said:

my only complaint about the show is that it is to short it needs to be at least 2hours long

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 13th, 2012 at 10:08 am said:

There are a lot of dueling opinions on show length — some folks love the tighter length, others want a 3-4 hour show. We’ve tried to err in the middle; we’d rather leave folks wanting more, you know? :)

+ Surfaced on January 12th, 2012 at 4:59 pm said:

downloading this one for the Kellee interview

+ krae_man on January 12th, 2012 at 7:23 pm said:

Whoo! Gripshift.

Nick you must hound Mario daily till he caves and greenlights a sequel. Double points if it’s a PS3/Vita combo like that new Motorstorm game.

+ Blade133 on January 12th, 2012 at 8:06 pm said:

Do you guys have any plans on possibly giving away a Vita sometime in the future? It’d be a great opportunity for those who can’t make it out to one of the Social Club events.

+ PharmBoY044 on January 12th, 2012 at 8:25 pm said:

@GabeP, I got some bad news for you. Nick has shaved off that beautiful beard of his and gone all baby smooth.

@Blogcast, when are you guys gonna invite ManGod on the show? I thought this week would be perfect with Jeff and Rey out of town. That’s podcast gold that you guys are sitting on. Please use it by getting him on the show in the near future.
    Thanks!

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 13th, 2012 at 10:02 am said:

Nick’s beard leapt off his face and attached itself to mine. I can feel its hooked barbs digging deeper into my skin, tapping into my nervous system…

+ C_Y_P_H_E_R on January 12th, 2012 at 8:36 pm said:

oh man. you guys are killing me. i need to save money for a new dj mixer. after twisted metal comes out the ps plus discounts will have to be more than 30% off to force me to impulse buy them.

+ neuropunk on January 12th, 2012 at 8:41 pm said:

Lara Croft and Castlevania Harmony of Despair plez.

+ ShadowPhoenix18 on January 12th, 2012 at 9:44 pm said:

Hey guys, you asked about what gaming quirks we have in games? In RPGs that I play, I have to talk to EVERY NPC in any town or environment, two or three times to make sure they don’t have variable speech. If they talk, I have to hear what they have to say. I feel like I am not a story completionist if I didn’t experience all of the fine script points that the writers made. Also, I check anything that looks like a garbage can or a box in case they have hidden items. Games like Dragon Age that make items glow or sparkle help save me from that, fortunately haha.

+ DarklingVladd on January 13th, 2012 at 2:45 am said:

Hey guys, I am enjoying these blogcasts. So, Armored Core V hits Japan on January 26th, Europe early March and US March 20th. It will be the latest in a long series dating back to PS1. ACV is brought to you by the same people who made Dark Souls, Demon’s Souls and 3D Dot Heroes. Can you guys help get the word out about ACV? There are few series that have gone on as long as Armored Core. Most notable would likely be Final Fantasy. Armored Core has been on PS1, PS2, PSP and PS3 and has thirteen console titles with four Japan only mobile titles.
    Thank you for reading and keep up the good work,
    DarklingVladd

+ Logan22 on January 13th, 2012 at 5:12 am said:

Hey guys, last week you guys explained how and why Vita’s 3G can’t be used for multiplayer gaming. My question is what can we use 3G for, or rather more specifically, using it for downloading items off the playstation store. Last week you guys explained how 3G is used for some rather new, Vita specific features, I just want to know how it can be used for things were already used to from the PS3.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 13th, 2012 at 10:01 am said:

Sure! 3G will come into play for certain apps of course (details to come), you could obviously browse the web using it, send messages from (almost) anywhere using it. And a lot of games tap into it for “asynchronous” multiplayer, such as Unit 13 and ModNation Racers, where you’re getting live updates from your buddy’s progress and competing against it. Further 3G details will be coming to light as we move closer to launch, so stay tuned.

+ Elvick_ on January 13th, 2012 at 7:27 am said:

I can’t wait for Journey much longer, the wait is killing me. The beta was phenomenal. I hope the other 6 games that go on sale are ones I want, or maybe not since I don’t know if I can buy anything anyway. xP

+ Elvick_ on January 13th, 2012 at 7:50 am said:

Ha, I keep stock pile items in RPGs too. “I might need this desperately, I can’t use it now!”

+ CHARLYPOSHO on January 13th, 2012 at 10:38 am said:

SOTC and ICO will be the PS2 versions or the new remastered versions? Will they include the videos and the extra stuff?

+ willster98 on January 13th, 2012 at 11:37 am said:

Hey guys, great show as always. I do have one question though that I have not seen answered. I am curious why there is such poor support for the public trophy site (ex: http://us.playstation.com/publictrophy/index.htm?onlinename=willster98). None of the new games show up, and haven’t since early last year. I know this isn’t a big deal for some people but I like to use it to compare with friends. Do you have any info on when this site will be fixed?

Crack some heads…and I can’t help saying it…

Trophies, Yo!

+ JDSSLP on January 13th, 2012 at 12:52 pm said:

Great episode this week, but no mention of James Bond? 007…

Please keep the origin stories and “gaming habits” coming, the habits will also be a great way to promote new games as they are released.

+ GameBoss01 on January 13th, 2012 at 7:12 pm said:

I’ve got a question….

If I already have a contract with AT&T for my smartphone (Xperia PLAY 4G btw :D) with DATA enabled, could I just use my cellphone’s SIM card on the VITA or, is it in any way different?

+ AkitosanJP on January 13th, 2012 at 9:35 pm said:

Love the show but I still gotta say…. BEYOND!

+ kyoshira71 on January 13th, 2012 at 10:12 pm said:

The direct download link is down.

+ Guv_Bubbs on January 14th, 2012 at 2:05 pm said:

Did you guys answer the question about Tomba?

+ NothingToLoseNow on January 16th, 2012 at 2:06 am said:

I want a voucher.

+ scriptures on January 16th, 2012 at 5:04 pm said:

Hey guys, great show.Question, I wonder if Sony would ever possibly offer users a chance to change their username but allow you to keep all your trophies, online progress, and content bought with that username. Maybe a one time fee for the ability to do this?

+ Nates4Christ on January 17th, 2012 at 8:53 am said:

I really thought my email question to you guys was valid. I asked if the rayman vita game is going to be able to use the transfarring with the ps3 version of the game. I tried posting on the ubisoft and ign forums and NO ONE WILL ANSWER ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why can’t I get an answer about this game?!!

+ syk1288 on January 17th, 2012 at 10:09 pm said:

HEY SID!!! I MET YOU TODAY!!!! I WAS THE GUY THAT ASKED YOU IF THERE WAS GOING TO BE PARTY CHAT ON HAND AND BROUGHT UP THE PODCAST!!! My name is Ranjel. NICE TO MEET YOU!!!

HAVE FUN AT BOSTON TOO!!!