Until Dawn

Jan 26

PlayStation Blogcast logo (use this!)

PlayStation Blogcast 009: Joystiq Joyride

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Sid Shuman on Jan 26, 2012 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Subscription Links:

After last week’s discussion on video game production with SCEA Senior Producer Kyle Shubel, we wanted to shed some light on the other side of the digital curtain — video game media. In this week’s five-way free-for-all, we’re joined by Joystiq’s Ludwig Kietzmann, who recently moved to San Francisco from South Africa (lekker!). In his new role as Editor-in-Chief of Joystiq, Ludwig now sits astride one of the biggest, most influential videogame blogs on the ‘net. In today’s episode, Ludwig gives some tips for would-be video game journalists, describes the South African gaming scene, names some of his most anticipated upcoming PlayStation titles, and even graces us with a new PSN Gem of the Week.

In addition to debuting the new PSN game releases for next Tuesday, January 31st (including a mysterious new demo…), we also highlight some of your most-anticipated 2012 games, answer a new batch of user questions, and serve up another farm-fresh user tip. Jeff, Rey and I also chat about our recent experiences at the PS Vita social clubs (now open for hands-on gameplay in eight US cities through late February) and why PlayStation fans are the best in the business. Seriously!

How’s our driving? We want your feedback, comments, questions, and suggestions, so leave ‘em in the comments below!

Action Items

Vita Hill Social Clubs: locations and info
Starhawk Public Beta rollout schedule
-PlayStation Blogcast on iTunes (suscribe and rate us — pretty please!)
UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss

Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Sid ShumanOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Jeff Rubenstein

Official PlayStation.Blogcast: Nick SuttnerOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Rey Gutierrez

Ludwig Kietzmann

The Cast

• Sid Shuman – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Jeff Rubenstein – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Manager
  • Rey Gutierrez – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Nick Suttner – PlayStation Sr. Product Evaluator
  • Ludwig KietzmannJoystiq Editor in Chief
  • Thanks to Cory Schmitz for our beautiful logo and Dormilón for our rad theme song and show music. Special thanks to Astro Gaming headsets for providing audio gear.
  • [Editor’s note: PSN game release dates are subject to change without notice. Game details are gathered from press releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating descriptions.]

PAGE 1 2

+ etur0 on January 27th, 2012 at 1:12 am said:

the personal 3d viewer is an awesome idea but it need to be worked on a bit more like 1080p better headphones be cheaper the location of the wire seems to be in a bad spot and need to be comfortable for hours and hours of use it might be already and maybe some other stuff that I can’t think off

and if anyone here wants to find out more info search for Sony personal 3d viewer or go here: http://store.sony.com/c/S_Personal_3DViewer/en/c/S_Personal_3DViewer

+ dizeeStL on January 27th, 2012 at 1:59 am said:

LOL @ the guy on the podcast who said FF13s and 13-2 combat was/is good cause it was tactical and you didnt have to button smash.

are you kidding me? All you do is SMASH THE X BUTTON over and over and over. auto attack auto attack auto attack. ya alot of tactical play there huh LMAO.

that series has been terrible since 10. let the xboxers have that crappy series now, more power to em.

+ etur0 on January 27th, 2012 at 2:30 am said:

also well does it work and how comfortable its with someone with a huge head that wears glasses

+ Kchow23 on January 27th, 2012 at 2:55 am said:

Just got around to listening to this week’s episode and while it was good, maybe you guys spread yourselves a bit thin? I think that you guys try to cover too many topics and hardly go in-depth in any of them which makes it feel less cohesive and muddled. I mean if all I am getting from the blogcast is reading of next week’s PSN list then why not just post them on the blog? I think that the PS blogcast at times tends to feel a bit too much like an interview instead of a casual chat among yourselves and guests.

While, this may just be how you guys are and I feel like it is something that isn’t fair to complain about, but bring some more energy and passion into the show? I think that the show at times feel like you guys are watching what you say or laugh for the sake of laughing at times. I thought that the Greg Miller episode helped that issue since he cracked jokes and his personality was a good compliment to the rest of you guys. I like the opinionated discussions on Giantbombcast or Podcast Beyond, but they also make me laugh and have a fun time listening.

+ Kchow23 on January 27th, 2012 at 2:57 am said:

@31 You should checkout Bestbuy, they will have PS Vita demos this Saturday!

+ Kchow23 on January 27th, 2012 at 3:01 am said:

Also I think that listening to Kojima Productions podcast might be a good idea for the PS blogcast since they aren’t a opinionated podcast either and they provide interesting information about their games and have discussions on other games at times. However, it feels like a casual discussion among themselves and they just appear to have a fun time chatting as well.

+ Sid Shuman on January 27th, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

Thanks for the feedback, very valuable! :)

+ dani_dachamp on January 27th, 2012 at 5:24 am said:

hi i need help … yesterday i lost my psn account my ps id shaniyousaf someone using it i didnt remember day of birth plz help……

+ krae_man on January 27th, 2012 at 11:41 am said:

Also regarding downloading Vita games to the PS3. Can you please update the PS3 firmware so that the install files can be placed into folders.

+ Graywolffe on January 27th, 2012 at 7:27 am said:

This is the first time I’ve heard one of these blogcasts. Addictive & fun to listen too. I’ll check back from now on for further castings. LOVE the VITA coverage!

Lookin’ forward to hearin’ further news on the VITA. For example: I want to go 100% digital download, but ONLY if there is some digital download discount (even 10% lower than retail). Any official news on this prior to actually seeing it on the 14th would be GREAT!

+ EXO-shot on January 27th, 2012 at 7:59 am said:

Great show guys.

My question is who won the Folklore mystery theme? I don’t recall you announcing it; and I am curious to know if I or someone else won.

+ Nick Suttner on January 27th, 2012 at 1:38 pm said:

The winner received a code via e-mail, sorry about that. Better luck next time!

+ RE_Player on January 27th, 2012 at 8:27 am said:

I haven’t commented on the blogcast in awhile but I just had to for this episode. Seriously this one was the best yet. The whole crew was back and brought a lot to the table, Ludwig was a good guest, good humor, gaming discussion etc. You guys always ask for suggestions/feedback but all I have to say is keep it up.

+ krae_man on January 27th, 2012 at 9:04 am said:

The Vita is doing a Mall Tour in Canada and will be in a bunch of Bestbuys.

Checkout Playstation (dot) ca for the mall tour list and bestbuy (dot) ca/psvita for the list of bestbuy stores it will be in.

Ashley should be posting on the blog a lot more then she does telling us about this stuff.

+ blakseed on January 27th, 2012 at 1:43 pm said:

I bet Ludwig felt so out of place lol. Probably having withdrawals without at least a mention of a certain console in the discussions.

+ Bue2_222 on January 27th, 2012 at 2:31 pm said:

Hi, Love the show and I got a question about the vita.

What Customizable features does the vita have (e.g. Themes, able to switch between LiveArea to XMB and back, etc)?

Can’t wait for the next show

+ BlueBl1zzard on January 27th, 2012 at 12:39 pm said:

Another great episode guys! I cannot wait for the release of the Vita!!!

Anyway two questions:

1) What franchises would you like to see come to the Vita? I personally would love to see a Grand Theft Auto, Just Cause, Metal Gear Solid, Soul Calibur, and Monster Hunter come to the Vita!

2) I heard Resistance Retribution may be getting an update that would allow the use of both analog sticks. Is this true? And if so, will any other games get dual analog stick support?

+ Viewtiful_Josh on January 28th, 2012 at 2:09 am said:

I just started listening to these blogs (first one I listen was 008) and I have to say they are really informative and fun! I download them to my iPod and sometimes get a confused face from the people around me as I suddenly smile and giggle, because of the jokes. :D

I also like the stories that people talk about how they got to where they are, which inspires me.

Keep them up you guys! I’ll go ahead and download 001-007. :)

By the way, you guys answer question on the show, and I was wondering where do people ask the questions? Thanks!

+ Sid Shuman on January 30th, 2012 at 11:46 pm said:

You can ask them right here! Or email: blogcast(AT)playstation(dot)sony(dot)com

+ krae_man on January 28th, 2012 at 2:26 pm said:

Sorry guys, but you gave incorrect advice with the “am I missing out if I go download?” Question. You are forgetting a couple things:

1) sometimes preorder bonuses are a physical object(such as the Junpei Hat for Persona 3 Portable). Can’t get those off the playstation store.

2) Download versions of games are often missing bonus content to keep the file sizes down. Ico Collection: Missing some of the video content. Sly Collection: Missing the Move Minigames. No reason to believe that won’t continue to happen on the Vita. If anything it’s more likely to happen. Keeping file sizes down is even more important with the Vita.

I could let the first one slide, but the second one is a very big oversite.

+ Sid Shuman on January 30th, 2012 at 11:47 pm said:

Both good points, thanks! It ultimately boils down to whether you want something quick and accessible or physical and (often) more comprehensive.

+ krae_man on January 28th, 2012 at 2:34 pm said:

Actually, now that I think about it, Removing content from downloadable games isn’t necessarily about getting file sizes down. There are other reasons decisions like that are made. Still no reason to believe they will stop with the Vita.

+ iamhannah on January 28th, 2012 at 8:43 pm said:

Hey guys, I really enjoy the show but as a sound engineer I have a few things to point out. You need to have someone edit the show. Your audio levels are bad. The laughing into the mic needs to stop. Also sometimes people mumble and it is very hard to hear. Please get someone to mix the show for you. I’ll volunteer.
    I’m not slamming you guys I really love the show just my ears hurt. Just thought you should know.

I do have a question though about the PSN store. Will we be able to gift games and/or content in the foreseeable future? Also how about a wish list so we don’t forget some awesome games we might want to buy but might not have the money on said day? Both features would be great.

Again great show guys, I really enjoy the content keep up the great work.

+ Sid Shuman on January 30th, 2012 at 11:49 pm said:

I’m not surprised you’d say that — an audio engineer would definitely pick up on it. It’s a tough balance for us in a number of areas — the quick turnaround time needed, our lack of space, our lack of an actual mixing guy — and our audio edits tend to be simpler. Appreciate the advice and believe me, we’re well aware of our limitations. That said, we sound pretty good stacked up against other gaming podcasts. Would definitely like to take it to the next level in the future.

+ etur0 on January 29th, 2012 at 2:16 am said:

I really think you guys need to explain what the 3g on the vita is going to be used for and give many examples I know some like in warrior’s lair and unit 13 because from what I have been seeing allot of people seems to be confused about I believe it will be worth it

+ alsoindian on January 29th, 2012 at 2:14 pm said:

Awesome podcast but a few comments, there are some times when its just news, and those times can get a little boring, perhaps you could add some humor an example would be the i doubt it i guarantee it schtick. Also it would be really awesome if you could call up ben yahtzee crawshaw to be on your show. in my opinion this guy is the best video game reviewer that has ever existed, that makes your sides split from laughter.

+ gamefreak3o3 on January 29th, 2012 at 7:00 pm said:

Good job on the podcast. I think it’s been getting gradually better. You guys have talked about Vita games a lot, but which one (or two) game(s) would you get on launch day if you couldn’t afford anymore than that? I can’t decide what to get and want some help.

+ sbattu on January 29th, 2012 at 10:32 pm said:

+ guillaumecribier on January 30th, 2012 at 2:51 am said:

+ mockduck on January 30th, 2012 at 1:25 pm said:

Maybe it’s possible to do this and I’m just not aware of it, but is there a way to easily download these podcasts to my PSP, using my PSP? Yeah, I could bookmark the blog, find the link, and download it from there, but it’d be awesome to have a quick click-and-download of the show.

+ Chaoz on January 30th, 2012 at 7:38 pm said:

Do you think we will see any bundles for the ps3 game and vita game for an additional price. Like MLB 13 The Show PS3 game 59.99 Vita game 39.99-49.99. Or the combo for 79.99-89.99. That is something I personally would love to see and would invest in.

+ Chaoz on January 30th, 2012 at 7:44 pm said:

Correction MLB 12 The Show!

+ camillakoutsos on January 31st, 2012 at 2:48 pm said:

Thanks for the Shatter love. People can hear the Shatter OST at http://sidhe.bandcamp.com.

BTW Sidhe is pronounced ‘She’, rather than ‘Sheed’ :)

+ babytwon on January 26th, 2012 at 3:46 pm said:

Loving the blogcast!!! Keep up the great work.

+ gerneric123 on January 26th, 2012 at 3:51 pm said:

Help Modnation Racers on Vita get an online mode: share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/01/20/modnation-racers-road-trip-ps-vita/

+ Sid Shuman on January 26th, 2012 at 4:36 pm said:

Good use of Share, sir.

+ Neil on January 26th, 2012 at 4:12 pm said:

I haven’t listened to the podcast since episode 2 because the podcast is kinda dry and well, boring to be honest. The segments are too formulaic and you guys seem unenthusiastic. I’ll give this one a shot.

+ Sid Shuman on January 26th, 2012 at 4:39 pm said:

Good feedback, and thanks. We don’t play the opinion game because, well, there are a million other podcasts that can give you that. Our goal is to try to get you a peek behind the curtain and give you some insight into things you couldn’t learn anywhere else. We’re still ironing out the formula, but feedback like this helps — let us know what you think of episode 009!

+ WilHiteWarrior on January 26th, 2012 at 4:21 pm said:

When does the MGS: HD collection release on the PSN? Q.Q

+ Eq_Ketchup on January 26th, 2012 at 4:25 pm said:

i was wondering if any good mmo will put on psn like eqoa i love that game and there are no new mmo out there that can come close to a 10yr old game is crazy love to see it on ps3 and is there any news of the next eq on ps3 platform?

+ Robbie_G_lrish on January 26th, 2012 at 4:28 pm said:

Hey Sid, whatever happened to Malicious? I thought it was supposed to come to North America a while ago, is that not going to happen?

+ Sid Shuman on January 26th, 2012 at 4:38 pm said:

Haven’t heard a peep! Sounds like it’s a Japan title for now, but we’ll update you should that change. It DOES look cool!

+ ToxicZero on January 26th, 2012 at 4:36 pm said:

Rey, I would’ve totally ran off with your Vita. lol.

+ Rey Gutierrez on January 26th, 2012 at 6:58 pm said:

My Vita has a special tracking device. I would’ve hunted you down. =)

+ Jeff Rubenstein on January 26th, 2012 at 5:29 pm said:

He would’ve deserved it!

+ Enigma777 on January 26th, 2012 at 4:41 pm said:

Ludwig, eh? Sweet. Will give it a listen tonight.

+ fijski8 on January 26th, 2012 at 4:42 pm said:

Any hints for a Final Fantasy sale like the UK? XD.

+ Jetup on January 26th, 2012 at 4:51 pm said:

@robbie ive bought malicious on the jp psn, you’re not missing much. Its a boss rush game. Though it would fit perfect on the Vita. And for those wondering on buying the game, menu’s are in English but story text is in Japanese

+ ChaseHammerJ on January 26th, 2012 at 4:59 pm said:

Another great show fellas.

PS: I never received the voucher code for you answering my question last week. Did I miss it?

+ Omegian-Ultima on January 26th, 2012 at 5:07 pm said:

Twitling my thumbs waiting for the flac release of this show… cmon psn users am I the only audio fanatic on here??? I want to hear the brushing of the beard and movement of chairs!!!

+ Enigmatech on January 26th, 2012 at 5:08 pm said:

Can we get some Uncharted 3 Chloe PSN Avatars? Maybe even her own dynamic themes?

I’d love to see her in her own games but I wouldn’t bet on it.

+ camiwaits_us on January 26th, 2012 at 5:49 pm said:

I have a question. I don’t have Wi-fi, if i get a PS Vita would i be able to download vita games to my PS3 and then transfer them to play in the PS Vita, if so, what would i need to do so?

+ Rey Gutierrez on January 26th, 2012 at 7:01 pm said:

Totally! You can download Vita titles onto your PS3 off the PlayStation Store. Then, simply plug your Vita into your PS3 (via USB,) your Vita and PS3 will magically sing together with Content Manager. Simply hit, PS3 to Vita connection, and select Apps and Games. And you should be good to go. Just make sure to have the same PSN ID assigned to your PS3 and PS Vita.

+ DaGimp13 on January 26th, 2012 at 6:11 pm said:

really? you guys named it Joystiq Joyride….oh my, that is gonna get made fun of for quite some time, considering it’s 5 guys cramped into a small room roflz

anyways, great episode guys, keep up the awesome work!

+ Sid Shuman on January 27th, 2012 at 12:57 am said:

Well, you know. What happens on PlayStation Blogcast stays on PlayStation Blogcast

+ Angry-Puppy on January 26th, 2012 at 6:31 pm said:

I was there in Chicago. Worth every minute of the wait!

+ Ranmabot on January 26th, 2012 at 6:35 pm said:

Great job with the podcast, guys! Loved having Ludwig on the show. I miss the old Joystiq podcast with him, but I’m really excited now to see what he does at the helm of their site.

Hey Sid, how do I send answers for the menu music trivia? I don’t use twitter, so can I at least send an email and to where? Thanks, and looking forward to the next podcast! :D

+ Sid Shuman on January 26th, 2012 at 11:01 pm said:

You can email the answer to blogcast[AT]playstation[dawt]sony[dawt]com!

+ Exalted_Knight on January 26th, 2012 at 6:38 pm said:

a certain Demo Im playing this 31st! ;) Deals with Shadow of a certain someone, and if he sees it then 12 days the title will be released.. :P Can’t Wait!!!!! Every time I see more and more awesome PlayStation events.. tempting me to move to California!

+ Sid Shuman on January 26th, 2012 at 11:02 pm said:

I’m excited to see that mysterious demo for myself :)

+ RydogV on January 26th, 2012 at 8:55 pm said:

Another great show…lots of great VIta discussion and it is getting me pumped for release!! Thanks for the heads-up on the Vita Hill Social Clubs…think I will take a trip down to Beantown and check it out (days and hours of operation??).

I am definately going to look into the Rachet & Clank, Jak & Daxter (and Sly Cooper) collections for suppliment my unbalanced diet of action shooters.

And that Sony Personal 3D Viewer just made it onto my must have list. I was planning on getting the PlayStation 3D Monitor for my man cave but I think I am going to hold out for the headset instead!!

Still waiting for some Dust 514 discussion…maybe next time :)

+ Rey Gutierrez on January 27th, 2012 at 10:58 am said:

Awesome to hear. The PlayStation 3D Display is a great product as well. But if you’re willing to spend a little more for a very unique device, you should totally invest on the Sony Personal 3D Viewer. I watched Paranormal Activity 3 on it last night, and all the POV shots were far more intense!

+ focaldragonfly23 on January 26th, 2012 at 9:06 pm said:

how fast is download speed

+ sbattu on January 26th, 2012 at 9:39 pm said:

+ Logan22 on January 26th, 2012 at 9:53 pm said:

Wow, great episode, probably my favorite so one so far. Last week was my least favorite, so we can probably say that Rey is the key ingredient lol. His voice is a bit lower than the others though, and he doesn’t speak too too soft in person so maybe raise his mic up a little? He gave the best advice/discussion today regarding the 3D viewer; I have the 3D display and it IS a real bummer how so many games have ghosting ruining moments. If stuff like that is truly gone with the Star Trek lookin thing, I’m definitely going to invest into one whenever I can as I’m just as much of a 3D whore as Rey. Child of Eden is really the only one that stands out as Perfect on the 3D display with absolutely no ghosting, and shows off the display the best.

Let us know on the Blog when new games like Mortal Kombat come to the Vita Clubs. The clubs will still be the best option if your around one. I know I’m going to drive to Miami from Tampa at least one more time to try the demos I didn’t get to from opening night, as well as the new ones.

And yes, trading around Rey’s Vita for Gravity Rush was definitely the highlight! Awesome game! Let us know when that one is coming too when you can.

PAGE 1 2