Until Dawn

Jan 26

PlayStation Blogcast logo (use this!)

PlayStation Blogcast 009: Joystiq Joyride

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Sid Shuman on Jan 26, 2012 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Subscription Links:

After last week’s discussion on video game production with SCEA Senior Producer Kyle Shubel, we wanted to shed some light on the other side of the digital curtain — video game media. In this week’s five-way free-for-all, we’re joined by Joystiq’s Ludwig Kietzmann, who recently moved to San Francisco from South Africa (lekker!). In his new role as Editor-in-Chief of Joystiq, Ludwig now sits astride one of the biggest, most influential videogame blogs on the ‘net. In today’s episode, Ludwig gives some tips for would-be video game journalists, describes the South African gaming scene, names some of his most anticipated upcoming PlayStation titles, and even graces us with a new PSN Gem of the Week.

In addition to debuting the new PSN game releases for next Tuesday, January 31st (including a mysterious new demo…), we also highlight some of your most-anticipated 2012 games, answer a new batch of user questions, and serve up another farm-fresh user tip. Jeff, Rey and I also chat about our recent experiences at the PS Vita social clubs (now open for hands-on gameplay in eight US cities through late February) and why PlayStation fans are the best in the business. Seriously!

How’s our driving? We want your feedback, comments, questions, and suggestions, so leave ‘em in the comments below!

Action Items

Vita Hill Social Clubs: locations and info
Starhawk Public Beta rollout schedule
-PlayStation Blogcast on iTunes (suscribe and rate us — pretty please!)
UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss

Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Sid ShumanOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Jeff Rubenstein

Official PlayStation.Blogcast: Nick SuttnerOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Rey Gutierrez

Ludwig Kietzmann

The Cast

• Sid Shuman – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Jeff Rubenstein – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Manager
  • Rey Gutierrez – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Nick Suttner – PlayStation Sr. Product Evaluator
  • Ludwig KietzmannJoystiq Editor in Chief
  • Thanks to Cory Schmitz for our beautiful logo and Dormilón for our rad theme song and show music. Special thanks to Astro Gaming headsets for providing audio gear.
  • [Editor’s note: PSN game release dates are subject to change without notice. Game details are gathered from press releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating descriptions.]

PAGE 1 2

+ Logan22 on January 26th, 2012 at 7:17 pm said:

Rey! I posted this in your last The Drop, but I guess you were busy or something so I’ll just paste it here.

So which was better, Miami or Atlanta? Lol, either way, it was great meeting you in Miami man, and Thanks for letting us try that Gravity Rush Demo :) Awesome game it feels. I’m in Tampa but I think I may drive down there at least one more time before launch to try out heavy weights like MK and others, whenever they come. Peace!

Oh and Rey, can you give us any sort of time window we Vita Maniacs can expect your iPhone pics to blow up on the Blog, Destructoid, etc.?

+ ryanDm129 on January 26th, 2012 at 7:52 pm said:

what do you people think you are, why is there a missing level in the game crysis im f**king mad i dont get to fly the vtol u a holes

+ lisatsunami on January 26th, 2012 at 8:36 pm said:

Hey, Rey: I, too, platinumed Skyrim–on Sunday–and am still playing it anyway. I know I should let it go, at least until DLC, but….I can’t! So much more available to do in Skyrim, even after finishing the main & trophy quests.

Guys, I’m still really enjoying your podcast. The formula you use, 4 amigos plus a guest–keeps it interesting and fresh. I disagree with the poster above who said you were boring and unenthusiastic. The opposite is true.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on January 27th, 2012 at 10:55 am said:

Will you join me in getting a twinsie Skyrim tattoo?

+ Optimizm on January 26th, 2012 at 8:47 pm said:

Another great blogcast, guys! Thanks again for your hard work. I did have one question. What is the song you play at the end of this episode? It sounds pretty amazing. Keep up the awesome work!

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 27th, 2012 at 12:58 am said:

Email your guess to blogcast(AT)playstation(DOT)sony(DOT)com and you might win a free PSN game!

+ Logan22 on January 26th, 2012 at 10:03 pm said:

I think this is Rey’s sound bite I just ran into. Good stuff, the Twitter app on the Vita sounds like its going to be really useful. Did not know about the screenshot taking and tweeting you can do with it.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on January 27th, 2012 at 11:23 am said:

Yep. I snapped over 80 photos of Golden Abyss during gameplay. Its so simple to jump in and out of the Photo App and review your shots.

+ heyugetoverhere on January 26th, 2012 at 10:32 pm said:

Sid and crew, can you ask Activision to make BLUR come to PSN. Its on xbl and all the stores are sold out. THX :)

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 27th, 2012 at 12:59 am said:

I suggest you hit up @OneofSwords on Twitter, who works for Activision — I know he’s a big Blur fan, too :)

+ heyugetoverhere on January 26th, 2012 at 10:33 pm said:

BTW none of the PS BLOG videos work on with ps3 web browser. So everyone search SCEA BLOG in youtube xl.

+ PWorld_ on January 26th, 2012 at 11:23 pm said:

Loving the blogcast! Wouldn’t hurt to mix it up a lil more though.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 27th, 2012 at 12:59 am said:

How so? Interested in your thoughts.

+ Arjmand on January 26th, 2012 at 11:49 pm said:

Good evening gentlemen, congratulations on another great blogcast. Just a couple questions for ya

1) I know people fortunate enough to live in the United States have the opportunity to check out Vita at one of the Social Hill Clubs, but what about us who live in Canada!? As a passionate PlayStation devotee, I would love to see more events organized up north in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, etc

2) I noticed you guys didn’t talk about Insomniac putting the Resistance franchise to rest. Also, you guys didn’t really mention anything about The Tester 3. Can Canadians also apply for a spot in that?

Thanks for your time guys. Love the site as well, its quickly becoming my #1 spot for everything PlayStation!

– SeenMachine

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 27th, 2012 at 1:01 am said:

Glad you got your PS Vita question answered! Only just saw Ted Price’s video; glad they cleared the air. And finally, I believe The Tester 3 is open to US residents only, but the casting call is over anyway — on 2/7, the new season starts.

+ PWorld_ on January 27th, 2012 at 12:03 am said:

Are you guys playing the starhawk beta? And if so what are you’re thoughts? I’d love to have this read on the blogcast… [insertsmileyhere]

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 27th, 2012 at 12:56 am said:

I love it! I haven’t had enough time to really sink my teeth into it, but I’m a big fan of the Build & Battle elements with deploying turrets and walls and the like. I’ll be getting more hands-on time this weekend for sure.

+ Arjmand on January 27th, 2012 at 12:15 am said:

haha wow just checked the PlayStation Canada Facebook page and they have Vita Mall Tours in all 3 cities I mentioned. Scratch that question off lol

+ heyugetoverhere on January 27th, 2012 at 12:23 am said:

REY, what do u think of my ps blogshare idea:Create a search by price option in PS store and websites.

Sometimes PSN has great deals but they’re hard to to find.

Other times its hard to find all the free stuff on PSN :)

Searching by price would make life better :)

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on January 27th, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

I think thats a great idea. I know when I shop online, I always like to have the cheapest alternative on the very top. The PlayStation Store is always constantly evolving and changing to better serve our customers, all feedback is much appreciated by the PSN team!

PAGE 1 2