Final Fantasy XV

Jan 31

Jan 31

Twisted Metal Multiplayer Demo Coming to PSN Today

Chad Cox's Avatar Posted by Producer, Twisted Metal

Twisted Metal: E3 2011

We know your appetite for destruction is growing as we draw closer to Twisted Metal‘s Valentine’s Day release (2/14), so we’re pleased to announce that the Twisted Metal Multiplayer Demo goes live on the PlayStation Store this afternoon!

• Eight vehicles to choose from, each with their own unique special weapons
  • Two multiplayer modes: Classic free-for-all Death Match, and team-based Nuke mode—a Twisted take on Capture the Flag that’s brand new to the series
  • Challenge mode, where you can practice with each vehicle to hone your destructive skills

Twisted Metal: E3 2011

Be sure to try out all the vehicles and modes available in the multiplayer demo and let us know your favorites. Servers will be up today through February 7th, so you’ve got a week to practice before the full game comes out on February 14th. Get killin’!

To celebrate today’s release, Game Director David Jaffe chimed in with answers to some popular user questions. This Q&A relates to the final retail game, not today’s multiplayer demo, but it will give you a closer look at what to expect this February 14th.

Will Twisted Metal feature a Party System for easy play with friends?
100%! The new Twisted Metal supports Party and Clan systems allowing players to easily jump into ranked and unranked matches together. The party system was key, not just because it’s a staple for online games, but because we heard from so many players who came up playing this game with friends (be it as little kids, or college students) and now their crew have scattered across the globe and they were asking us for a fast, easy way to jump into games with friends so they could relive some of those fun memories (and ideally make a lot more new ones)!

Will Twisted Metal have splitscreen coop missions?
Split screen local co-op has been a staple of the series since TM2 and it’s back and better than ever. The campaign that you and a buddy can go through together is more varied than any other TM campaign we’ve done. And the other split screen modes- for 2 to 4 players on the same tv- allow for free for all and team games with lots of host options for players so they can tweak and adjust the game so it always says fresh. In 2 player split the players have 30+ levels to choose from. In 3 and 4 player split, players can choose from 10 battlegrounds.

Is there any gameplay relevance related to the pedestrians in the environments, mechanics and trophies?
Yes to all three questions :). A good example: in the level called BLACK ROCK STADIUM- which is this ‘hi tech meat grinder-meets-Roman Gladiator Colosseum’ players can park their vehicles on pressure plates. Sitting on these plates long enough causes audience members to get ejected from the stands. Each audience member that is ejected is wearing one of two kinds of vests: a vest with a cross on it and a vest with a question mark. Hitting cross vested peds yields health. Hitting mystery peds yields a random weapon pick up.

If you kill an enemy, the drive and gunner eject from the explosion and their burning bodies go running around in terror. After a few seconds they die, but if you can hit the gunner before he dies, you get a random weapon. If you hit the driver before he dies, you get a little extra health.

Which characters are some of the Twisted Metal team’s other favorites?
All of the human characters in the new Twisted made it in mainly because they represent the team’s favorite from a 50+ roster of characters that live in the Twisted Metal universe. So besides Tooth, we’re all big fans of Calypso, Mr. Grimm, Dollface, and Preacher. We also tend to dig No Face and Minion. As for vehicles, we love the cast of vehicles in the new Twisted and that’s a big reason they made the cut. We do miss some of our old friends however, such as Thumper, Pit Viper, Yellow Jacket, Twisted, and Mr. Slam.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

Relgstorm said:

January 31st, 12:13 pm

no one here’s getting any bandwidth tonight!

a_striped_lombax said:

January 31st, 12:15 pm

my thoughts exactly… I am so pumped! There better be some Rob Zombie on this soundtrack! ALSO, TWISTED METAL… Y U NO SIMULVIEW?!?!

space_vaquero said:

January 31st, 12:19 pm

I’m wating

Zacky-V-A7X said:

January 31st, 12:19 pm

Awesome Can’t Wait!!! please some Twisted Metal avatars!

playaplus said:

January 31st, 12:20 pm

nothing beats throwin something at someone for messing up. offline co-op ftw

thebgj said:

January 31st, 12:21 pm

Will it eventually have Simuview??

@a_striped

Do you have that sony tv?
how is it?

HeavyD-Love said:

January 31st, 12:23 pm

Been a fan of Twisted Metal since 1995 on the original Playstation.

Speaking of which, can the powers that be at Sony please get the original Twisted Metal released on PSN as PS classic? Being the first, it’s my absolute favorite and currently TM2 is available, but not TM1.

Can’t wait for the new TM thanks!

jerk_man said:

January 31st, 12:26 pm

SWEEEEET!!!!

GroovyJooky said:

January 31st, 12:29 pm

love it.

GET2DAACHOPPAAAA said:

January 31st, 12:30 pm

No Thumper? lol

Does this game have an online COOP campaign?

technole said:

January 31st, 12:31 pm

Awesome. Of course I already pre-ordered Twisted Metal :) Your old fans have your back David!

DrPhiill said:

January 31st, 12:50 pm

YEAH! cant wait to get on the Beta tomorrow! (eu here) been so long since there were a good car combat game! thank you Jeff and the gang for bringing this back! <3

DJHaole said:

January 31st, 12:50 pm

All I have to say is Kick ARSE and Urgent Fury Approves this carnage lol

Sparx88 said:

January 31st, 12:51 pm

Looking forward to getting my hands on this!

shredder110 said:

January 31st, 12:55 pm

It’s not in the psn store yet :(

shredder110 said:

January 31st, 12:56 pm

It’s going on 4pm here! So much for “this afternoon”

ChaseHammerJ said:

January 31st, 12:56 pm

What?!? You arent charging people to play the multiplayer demo?

You already lost 2 sales from me (Twisted Metal and SSX) because of these ONLINE PASSES total B-S. Keep it up and I wont buy anything new or used in protest.

A bought copy is a bought copy it doesnt matter who owns it.

twistedfloyd said:

January 31st, 12:56 pm

!!!!!!

Words can’t express how pumped I am to play the game. I probably won’t be able to play until late tonight if at all because of school, but when I get the chance I am going to be all over this. Probably not going to play anything else until the demo is over, and subsequently when the game is released (for a while).

shredder110 said:

January 31st, 12:57 pm

Hang on let me insert my foot in my mouth lol, it’s not downloading!

espino91 said:

January 31st, 12:58 pm

super pumped to play and get some practice in for this game!!!!!!!!!!!

xjoey420x said:

January 31st, 12:58 pm

I can’t wait to get down on twisted metal i am so pumped for this game i have it pre-ordered already i will be playing this demo all week.

shredder110 said:

January 31st, 12:59 pm

ChaseHammerJ ! You need to realize that online pass is for a good cause. If everyone bought a used copy, ESP won’t get a big cut, there by, no Twisted Metal 2! Support the game you free loader!!

BHK3 said:

January 31st, 1:02 pm

IT’S OUT SEARCH FOR IT ON THE STORE THE DEMO IS OUT

ChizFreak said:

January 31st, 1:06 pm

@BHK3 It’s TRUE! The demo is out RIGHT NOW! SEARCH TWISTED METAL DEMO ON THE STORE! GOGO! I’m downloading it right now, it’s 1526 MB.

JonJonXD said:

January 31st, 1:07 pm

:D

NoPlace2Run said:

January 31st, 1:08 pm

Downloading…Oh Ya!!!

gtmartin69 said:

January 31st, 1:08 pm

TRUE its OUT NOW! search “twisted” and its labeled Twisted Metal MultiPlayer Demo. also, search Syndicate and that demo is out now as well!!! happy playing!

xjoey420x said:

January 31st, 1:09 pm

sweet it really is out i’m downloading it right now i can’t wait for it to finish so i can get my twisted metal i have been waiting for another twisted metal ever since black came out.

megamixer said:

January 31st, 1:10 pm

I was under the impression this demo would have offline single-player content in addition to multi-player. Guess that isn’t the case? Oh well. I’ve got the game pre-ordered anyway so I’ll just go into it “blind”.

BEASTXJASON said:

January 31st, 1:11 pm

+ ChaseHammerJ on January 31st, 2012 at 12:56 pm said:
What?!? You arent charging people to play the multiplayer demo?
A bought copy is a bought copy it doesnt matter who owns it.

You know youll have it day 1 so why complain man. Hater. Cant wait to play this. so happy it has a demo. win!

moli_18 said:

January 31st, 1:11 pm

what time will be on the playstation store?

BEASTXJASON said:

January 31st, 1:11 pm

+ megamixer on January 31st, 2012 at 1:10 pm said:

did you not read the post? Practice arena….

MarkakaJin said:

January 31st, 1:15 pm

Downloading right now. It’s been a very, very long time. I had so much fun playing Twisted Metal III and I’m glad we’re having a new TM game for the PS3!

gtmartin69 said:

January 31st, 1:17 pm

@moli_18 : its out now, search “twisted” and its labeled Twisted Metal MultiPlayer Demo. btw, you use the search feature within the Store

megamixer said:

January 31st, 1:19 pm

@BEASTXJASON
“Once the demo hits the Store, you’ll get a taste of Twisted Metal’s online play with:
* Challenge mode, where you can practice with each vehicle to hone your destructive skills”

Of course I read the post! As it says, “get a taste of Twisted Metal’s ONLINE play”… yes challenge mode is mention but they didn’t specify it as single-player. As always this game SP keeps getting swept under the rug in favor of its MP. Which I’ll admit still makes me nervous, but time will tell. In any case I’m commited to buying the game, and “challenge modes” were never my cup of tea so I’ll continue to ignore this demo. Had they included a taste of story mode well… then I’d be downloading it right alongside everyone else. :)

moli_18 said:

January 31st, 1:28 pm

@gtmartin69: Thanks, I’m working so I could not verify it.

shredder110 said:

January 31st, 1:32 pm

It’s a good thing no single player is in the demo. don’t wanna spoil the goods right? Its enough fuel to keep us burning until 2/14.

MarinoBrea said:

January 31st, 1:38 pm

TWISTED METAL!!!!!!!!!!

Detective-E said:

January 31st, 1:45 pm

wish this said the map downloading now

warezIbanez said:

January 31st, 1:53 pm

Hell yeah, *RA* will be tearing up the streets!

ToKKeNbL00dMoNeY said:

January 31st, 2:30 pm

can anyone tell me if splitsceen is an option in this demo, if not i was kinda hoping for since thats my favorite part of this game, but even without splitscreen im SOOOOOO EXCITED right now XD

dilbig5 said:

January 31st, 3:10 pm

@ChaseHammerJ

They lost a sale on a game that’s not even out yet?? Why complain about a game that has an online pass when it hasn’t come out yet and you would of bought it new anyway? FYI, SSX doesn’t require an online pass but it does have one, you need read up.

“Keep it up and I wont buy anything new or used in protest.”
Get a new hobby, video games are obviously too much for you.

“A bought copy is a bought copy it doesnt matter who owns it.”
New copies generate revenue for the developers and publishers. Used copies generate ZERO revenue for anyone except the person you bought it from. Use your head.

dilbig5 said:

January 31st, 3:12 pm

@megamixer

If the campaign is gonna be anything like it was with the old Twisted Metals, then get over it. The multiplayer for those was the exact same for the campaign. Especially since the series was always based around it.

angelspawn77 said:

January 31st, 3:18 pm

Downloading now! Wish I could play it when its done downloading, but I gotta do some HW and be ready for my final today. 2 days till I graduate, wooo! Gonna definitely hop on tonight though :D

MA16v3 said:

January 31st, 3:59 pm

Can’t seem to get into any DM or Nuke games. A buddy was online and doing well in a DM but the connection went out on him. Now neither of us can join a game. Is this an issue with traffic and I should try again later?

Corb1301 said:

January 31st, 5:41 pm

So excited for this! I’ve been a fan since day one when the first Twisted Metal on the ps1 graced me with its uniqueness. Never has a game come close to it and plenty have tired. Jaffe has always had a special place in my gaming heart because he created my all time favorite game God of War, and even now he continues to create gems like this. Keep on keepin on David Jaffe, you deserve great things for what you’ve done for Playstation and Playstation fans!

Loserkid said:

January 31st, 5:43 pm

Will the full game have subtitles for the campaign(s)? Deaf people need some love when it comes to the story, u know…

Logan22 said:

January 31st, 6:14 pm

So, whatever happened to the Twisted Metal Slurpee cups? I take it they’re not happening…

tonydamiani said:

January 31st, 6:47 pm

The MP is not working for me DX

Maybe too many people? o.O

BigGunZ071 said:

January 31st, 6:58 pm

i cant even get on the twisted metal server !!!! so WTF sony? im not buying this unless i get to try it online cuase the single player challange map suxs!!! WTF u against 5 bots ? come on really!!!?

PAGE 1 2 3