PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Futurlab’s Space Shooter VELOCITY Revealed, Free via PS Plus at Launch

James Marsden's Avatar + Posted by James Marsden on Feb 09, 2012 // Managing Director, FuturLab

Hi folks! I’m here today to show you our awesome new teleportation shoot ‘em-up that is packed with innovative features – and it’s a game that YOU named! We had hundreds of entries, which we were very grateful for, and settled on ‘VELOCITY’, as it described the concept and gameplay very well – and is a cool word!

Splash

Here at FuturLab we don’t think it is good enough to churn out cloned games. We wanted to do justice to the nostalgia of early games in the shoot ‘em-up genre, so that people can pick up Velocity and feel right at home, but also feel the excitement of playing something completely new!

After many months prototyping, we knew we had something special with Velocity – the teleporting mechanics had never been done before – so we wanted a big sound to complement the gameplay experience.

quarpinhanger

We are therefore incredibly excited that Joris de Man, the award winning composer that wrote and produced the music for Killzone 2 & 3, has co-written and co-produced the music for Velocity!

So it sounds incredible and is a genuine, high quality homage to the classic games us older folk remember fondly ;) Check out the trailer below:

Velocity is a portable-friendly shooter that is packed full of innovative ideas, designs, sounds and gameplay – and it’s really addictive!

We wanted to use the minis platform to do something nobody had seen before, so we really hope you enjoy playing on your PSP, PS Vita and PS3!**

Velocity is due for release in March in Europe and the US, and will be FREE to download for PlayStation Plus subscribers!

cockpit

If you want to find out more about the game, check out the screenshots, or stay in touch with me and the rest of the team, here’s a bunch of useful links:

*Some of you may be wondering what happened to the pilot’s name, as we asked people to name her too. Unfortunately we didn’t receive any suggestions that did it for us, so we named her ourselves: Kai Tana J

**If you like what we’ve done with Velocity, please show your support. There’s a powerful, shiny new handheld on the scene now, and we’d love to give Velocity the HD treatment! With your support we can do it! :)

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 7:05 am said:

Hey folks, very excited to be here today! Hope you like the look of Velocity. I’m here to answer any questions you might have :)

+ Xer0Signal on February 9th, 2012 at 7:12 am said:

Congrats on the release! I’m loving the look of this game. Pumped to play it on Vita.

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 7:21 am said:

Woo! I can’t wait to play it on VITA either :)

+ kilburni86 on February 9th, 2012 at 7:13 am said:

Hey James, the game looks really entertaining! I’m excited to give it a shot on my new vita when it releases. Also, thanks for working to make it free for PS Plus users!

+ jwspiker on February 9th, 2012 at 7:15 am said:

is this a mini for the ps3 then? that’s what it looks like… looks decent, if more mini’s do what the giraffe game did with visuals that’ll make the mini’s better on the ps3.

+ Psikorps on February 9th, 2012 at 7:16 am said:

James Marsden? You were great as Cyclops in Xmen :D…j/k

Looks pretty cool, looking forward to playing this on my Vita on the 15th…and being a PS+ member, the price is right to! BTW…teleporting is awesome.

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 7:29 am said:

Teleporting IS awesome isn’t it? :) I had this nagging feeling … :p

+ Nubuo on February 9th, 2012 at 7:19 am said:

The music sounds quite good, so it seems a shame not to give a shout out to the other person who worked on it (since you said de Man only co-wrote and co-produced). So my question is who was the other person?

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 7:20 am said:

The other person is me :)

+ Link01 on February 9th, 2012 at 7:19 am said:

Excited to try it out on Vita, just wish it wasn’t a mini so I could collect some trophies.

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 7:20 am said:

Hey, we’ve got a trophy system in the game, so you don’t need to worry!

+ D3m0n__89 on February 9th, 2012 at 7:23 am said:

Another great reason to be a Plus Subscriber!

Looking forward on the Launch date!

Trophy support for the ps3??

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 7:25 am said:

:) No PS3 trophies no, that’s not allowed on minis – but we’ve created our own trophy system.

A total of 140 Trophies to collect in Velocity :)

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 7:23 am said:

If you’d like to know more about the game, check out:

http://www.psnstores.com for an interview

http://www.thesixthaxis.com for a hands on preview

and http://www.pushsquare.com for an in depth interview and a bunch of awesome wallpapers!

+ Nohons on February 9th, 2012 at 7:23 am said:

This is a mini?! It is great to see people like you pushing minis to the max and proving they can be unique and up to par with classic arcade games. I can’t wait for it.

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 7:25 am said:

Yay, thanks pal – we’re doing our best :D

+ D3m0n__89 on February 9th, 2012 at 7:31 am said:

Thanks for clearing that up James :)

Still 140 Trophies!! Wow… like that isn’t enough! Haha :p

Cheers!

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 7:35 am said:

Yep, my favourite is called Face Palm Napalm :)

+ GT-420 on February 9th, 2012 at 7:43 am said:

PLUS rocks!

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 7:43 am said:

Don’t forget to check out this Hands On Preview: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/02/09/exclusive-velocity-hands-on/

+ mzingarelli on February 9th, 2012 at 7:48 am said:

I’m looking forward for it to come to brazillian Playstation Store soon. It looks amazing!

+ EvilAbdy on February 9th, 2012 at 7:50 am said:

This looks really sick. Can’t wait!

Also coconut dodge has become the game my friends all play when they come over.

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 7:53 am said:

Hey, that’s great to hear!

Thanks for letting us know that :)

We hope that Velocity will take us to the next level…

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 8:07 am said:

Folks, if you like what we’re doing, come show your support on Facebook!

Then we can keep you up to date on all the cool stuff in Velocity that we haven’t had time to tall you about in this post :)

Fanx!

+ We_Met_Aliens on February 9th, 2012 at 8:13 am said:

This looks great! So wait, portable friendly? This will work on my PSP Go?

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 8:15 am said:

Yep, we’ve built half the levels on a PSP go :)

+ ModernYorkster on February 9th, 2012 at 8:23 am said:

Is this a PSN Exclusive?

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 8:25 am said:

Yup :)

+ ModernYorkster on February 9th, 2012 at 8:27 am said:

Day one purchase!

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 8:27 am said:

#win

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 8:28 am said:

Seriously, thanks :)

+ Enforcer_X on February 9th, 2012 at 9:08 am said:

This looks awesome, can’t wait!

Is there any chance of this coming to Xperia PLAY? Seems like it would be a nice fit.

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 9:13 am said:

Hiya, there is always a chance – if the game does well for us, we’ll look at pushing it to all PlayStation platforms. We like PlayStation.

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 9:12 am said:

If you folks haven’t checked out the interview with me and Robin the programmer at http://www.psnstores.com and the hands on preview with http://www.thesixthaxis.com, go there now! :D

+ DaMann22 on February 9th, 2012 at 11:46 am said:

Wow thats like a space shooter on crack. Fortunately I have ps+ but even if I didn’t I would still pick this up for my upcoming Vita. Thanks James for the post and keep up the great work.

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 12:19 pm said:

Nice, cheers for the comment :) Happy you like the look of it!

+ SlyCooperFan100 on February 9th, 2012 at 1:10 pm said:

Wow, this looks really interesting. I have to ask, though: what’s the word on pricing for non-PS+ subscribers?

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 1:11 pm said:

What do you want it to be?

+ SlyCooperFan100 on February 9th, 2012 at 1:18 pm said:

@23 I don’t know, that’s what you guys are there for! xD I wouldn’t like to see this game sell for too steep of a price… minis are typically cheaper than $9.99. So somewhere in that typical minis range, I guess.

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 1:57 pm said:

Go on, give us a price you’d pay… :)

+ lisatsunami on February 9th, 2012 at 1:57 pm said:

Free & works on Vita? What’s not to like, thanks!

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 2:11 pm said:

Yays!

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 2:04 pm said:

Check out these awesome desktop wallpapers folks!

+ Sevyne on February 9th, 2012 at 2:04 pm said:

Most of the time I download my ps plus minis, try em once, and never speak of them again. Seriously, 95% of them are pretty bad games. This game on the other hand has my interest.

I always was a huge fan of oldschool shmups. Hell, the only mini I actually enjoy is A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks, and Velocity seems to be kicking it up a notch. The teleport system seems to be a game changer much like polarity was to Ikaruga and I can get behind that. If I wasn’t a part of plus you’d have my money, and if I ever cancel my plus you will still have my money.

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 2:11 pm said:

Wow, thank you for those kind words :)

Please let your voice be heard – we need support from people like you!

Many thanks again.

+ DemoniOtaku on February 9th, 2012 at 2:51 pm said:

WOW! A game I could have paid for and is free por PS+ users… Thanks for your hard work! The Game looks Awesomelly fun!

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 4:18 pm said:

Thanks for your support – come and join us on Facebook and read some interviews, and grab some wallpapers ;)

+ VKTH777 on February 9th, 2012 at 3:34 pm said:

PS + Is the greatest subscription service. Now entering my 2nd year and I must say, you get your moneys worth!

+ AizawaYuuichi on February 9th, 2012 at 3:44 pm said:

Wow, I’ve been planning on porting all the Minis I’ve gotten for free over to my Vita once I get it, since most of them don’t look that great in 1080p. But most of the ones I’ve tried already were rather meh. A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks and 1000 Tiny Claws are two of the better ones, imo.
But this… this looks awesome. Can’t wait to have this to play on-the-go.
Also, in regards to the pricing question… If I didn’t have PS+, I could see myself paying between $3-$5 for this. Definitely looks to be worth it.

+ James Marsden on February 9th, 2012 at 4:17 pm said:

Hooray! That sounds good :)

Thanks for your comment, and your suggestion of price. That gives us something to go on… :p

+ SolduNuts on February 9th, 2012 at 5:02 pm said:

Wow. Good job guys. Plus members get it free on day one also. Really great job. Just another reason that I love being a plus member. This is what minis are meant to be, great games that are playable across PlayStation’s different consoles. Thanks for another great mini.

Sold.

+ James Marsden on February 10th, 2012 at 2:20 am said:

Agreed – minis give small developers an opportunity to try new things – some do :)

+ KGH on February 9th, 2012 at 5:17 pm said:

reminds me of Megaman x10 =)

+ DemoniOtaku on February 9th, 2012 at 5:54 pm said:

This game could have come out as a PSN game… btw it have some touch features on Vita? I suppuos that don´t have, but later You could make a game for that system… ;)

+ James Marsden on February 10th, 2012 at 2:18 am said:

We would have loved to make it as a PSN game – alas we cobbled together the budget for this game from savings and work for hire jobs. If a nice publisher or platform holder wants to swoop in and sign us up for a sequel or HD version, we’re game ;)

+ vanwinkle on February 9th, 2012 at 6:37 pm said:

James, you are seriously awesome. I’ll be getting this game day one, but due to you being such a cool guy by communicating with people on here, I’ll be sure to buy any game your team puts out! I actually have Coconut Dodge, and it’s awesome.I had no idea you guys made it. Keep up the good work! Game looks awesome, by the way. I’ll be playing it on my Vita.

+ James Marsden on February 10th, 2012 at 2:17 am said:

Thanks buddy! Coconut Dodge is good practice for Velocity – keep your fingers nimble ;)

+ Darius2632 on February 9th, 2012 at 11:59 pm said:

not usually much of a minis fan but this one actually looks kinda awesome!

+ James Marsden on February 10th, 2012 at 2:17 am said: