PS4-Watch_Dogs

ModNation Racers: Road Trip – On A Bus, On A Plane, On A Boat Or A Train

Mark Wilson's Avatar + Posted by Mark Wilson on Feb 13, 2012 // Community Specialist, San Diego Studios

In just a few short days, ModNation Racers: Road Trip will hit store shelves alongside the release of the much-anticipated PS Vita! Our team at San Diego Studios has worked very hard to produce what we think is the best portable kart-racing game on the market. We’ve added many new features (see below) to the already acclaimed ModNation Racers franchise and we are quite excited to finally get them into the hands of gamers everywhere.

box

Sure, it may sound a bit silly to the uninitiated but the Mod, Karts, and Tracks YOU create become a small extension of yourself. You experience a sense of e-pride (just made that word up) similar to whipping out your wallet to show pictures of your gorgeous wife and kids to anyone who will listen. You’ll notice a grin on your face and a slight swell in your heart (admit it or not) the first time you hand your PS Vita and ModNation Racers: Road Trip to a friend as they “ooh and ahhhh” at YOUR “genius” creations.

Trust me, you will hear at least one of the following comments…

1. YOU did that?
  2. How did YOU do that?
  3. Make me! Make me!
  4. Do I know you?
  5. Let me try
  6. Ding!, fries are done.
  7. or quite possibly…

8. Wow, I really like your Mod! … are you single?

We hope you’ll agree the kart racing experience in ModNation Racers: Road Trip is second to none. Perfectly tuned racing physics and spectacular graphics add to the intense yet intuitive racing. With well over 500,000 tracks to race you’ll be busy until the next millennium going through them all. We know, We counted.

So if you are a fan of ModNation Racers, the Play Create Share family, or just kart racing in general we know you will enjoy ModNation Racers: Road Trip. If you haven’t made the leap into this great game and even greater community of players then we have just one suggestion – Try it – you’ll be hooked for life!

ModNation Racers Road Trip: Recent Features Preview
Track Studio I
Track Studio II
Mod Studio
Kart Studio
Racing Features
Big, Bad Weapons
New Career Mode
Mod Postcards
Online Features

ModNation Racers Road Trip: Tutorials Week 2
Track building has come a long way since using mom’s kitchen utensils to scrape out your course in the dirt. We’ve got some new-fangled track creating tools in ModNation Racers: Road Trip and these videos will help you get acquainted with the ins-n-outs of creating those tracks of your dreams!

Track Editing

Wednesday: Heart of Darkness by OnePoppa
Thursday: Thriller House by marusarusa
Friday: EATEN BY THE SNAKE by RADMANROB
Saturday: The Dragon’s Lair by Biver_
Sunday: Yeshua’s Tomb by prob_alex
This Week’s Top Tracks: PROJECT TIMESHIP – Week 2

This is what happens when a great group of creative people get together…

Top Tracks

ModNation Thursday Fun Races
Join ModNationSD for an evening of fun racing this Thursday from 4:30-5:30 PST. This is a great opportunity to meet some fun people in a casual racing environment. Bring your favorite Mods and Karts and strut your stuff out on the track. Check our ModNation Facebook page on the day of the races on how to join.

Let’s See What You’ve Got!
If you are interested in submitting your Mod, Kart or track for consideration as “Creation of the Week”, please visit us on the official ModNation Community site. Do you have the skills to make it into the blog? You’ll never know until you try!

+ hush404 on February 13th, 2012 at 7:29 am said:

Does MNR:R use content from the PS3 version of MNR? As in… I can download all of the created stuff from the PS3 version to my Vita version?

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on February 13th, 2012 at 9:59 am said:

It sure does!

+ MrPatrick16 on February 13th, 2012 at 7:32 am said:

im definately gonna try to get this game even though it doesnt have multiplayer..the first one for ps3 kept me so into it because of the story and i never really played the multiplayer cause id just get my butt handed to me most of the time haha..the track creator looks awesome and i may actually get into making an awesome track with it so maybe one day my name will be associated with being “track of the week”..one can hope right?

+ Winterwolf2010 on February 13th, 2012 at 7:41 am said:

This looks really fun, I can’t wait until I get a PS Vita. It looks like a beast of a machine. By the way, I’m not sure if this has already been implemented, or if you guys have thought about this, but it would be really cool if the PS3 version of Mod Nation racers could somehow connect to the PS Vita version, so that you can take your mods with you on the go and any tracks you make on the PS3 or Vita could be transferred. Also using the PS Vita as a controller for the PS3 version of Mod Nation Racers would be awesome experience. Anyways, Great work guys.

+ KilvasKills on February 13th, 2012 at 8:35 am said:

Sad to see this is the worst Vita launch game by far. If you want a well cooked racing game get Wipeout.

+ Major_Hoare on February 13th, 2012 at 8:43 am said:

No online = no purchase of MNR:RT. You guys should’ve followed what Wipeout did or at least offered AdHoc or Infastructure multiplayer…and I guess it’s not too late to offer a DLC patch to update MNR:RT to feature online multiplayer but what you REALLY should’ve done is continue to polish then release this game in the fall instead of releasing an incomplete game to have something to shill with the launch of the hardware.

+ FrIeD-GoAt on February 13th, 2012 at 8:53 am said:

First reviews in!

And

Ouch sorry guys, maybe a delay and some online modes would have got these higher.
Well, At least you know now for future reference that online IS A MUST for an online game.

+ LionFranco on February 13th, 2012 at 9:00 am said:

Where have some of you people been regarding the online play in MNR: RT? Perhaps you should go back a few weeks, where many of us were complaining about the lack of online play, and one of the devs posted comments on his personal PSN account (not red replies, but actual comments), explaining the reasoning for why there isnt any online play at launch, and the possibility of getting online play in a patch.

Some of you jokers are a little late to the party, like 3 weeks late to the party.

+ Major_Hoare on February 13th, 2012 at 9:39 am said:

@7

You, sir, are jumping the gun. The ‘possibility’ of getting online play in a future patch does not change the facts of the matter at hand. No online = no online and if I had a quarter for every time a developer made a vague promise to ‘fix’ something about such and such title (tbd post release) and never came through…that bag of quarters would make payment in full for my vita preorder.

+ D-Squad3 on February 13th, 2012 at 9:40 am said:

Bring LittleBigPlanet Karting to the Vita!

+ dragonmagician on February 13th, 2012 at 9:55 am said:

So many bad reviews :(

But unfortunately, I bought the game already on the PSN last week (before the reviews), since I wanted to support you guys even with the lack of online multiplayer. But I am now realizing that this game is aim to be a quick cash-in, which is quite disappointing.

With LBP Karting coming out, and this game being a disaster, the ModNation Racer IP is in real trouble and you basically killed it with the quality of this game.

Please enjoy my $30, you will probably not see anymore from me with this franchise; in return, I will at least try to enjoy your game…

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on February 13th, 2012 at 10:05 am said:

Hi dragonmagican,

It’s the players experience we value most and I think once you play it you will really enjoy it.

+ Mist_Shark on February 13th, 2012 at 10:12 am said:

Can creations made on the Vita be downloaded on the PS3 version?

+ Yaholo on February 13th, 2012 at 10:16 am said:

I have to admit, I was REALLY looking forward to this one. I love ModNation Racers for PS3, but don’t have a lot of opportunity to play. Having a near PS3 ModNation experience on a mobile device sounded great.

However, no online multiplayer is real deal killer. It is the biggest strength of the game, everything else is just a skeleton. What’s the point of customization without showing it off, it is psychological. Players form an identity with their character and then enjoy interacting with it.

Are there any plans to add online multiplayer?

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on February 13th, 2012 at 11:04 am said:

Hi Yaholo,

As mentioned in these blogs a few different times the possibility of an online patch is being discussed by the development team. Stay tuned.

+ zekececil14 on February 13th, 2012 at 10:27 am said:

What do you guys think about LBP: Karting? I don’t think it will be a big deal because a LBP karter would be something different.

You guys have an amazing game that lets you create your own tracks, mods, and karts. There have been lots of amazing creations too.

The difference with LBP is the HUGE amount of things you can do. So, in LBP: K you will be able to put in A LOT of detail.

I think it will be easier for people to create with MNR, but then the guys who should basically make video games can have a field day with LBP.

So, you may not be able to go into as much detail in MNR, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing because it is easier to create.

Long story short, I will own both.

WANT ROAD TRIP SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Sniffynose on February 13th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

About that “player experience” is it normal to have frame-rate issues and Async multiplayer that needs wifi or 3g enabled to upload a score?

I had this game pre-ordered and it’s getting cancelled, way to blow it!

Unless you come back right now and announce a patch due within a week or two, kiss all sales goodbye. Having no online multiplayer (or at least he ability to upload track records without being online at the moment you get it) and having frame rate problems is just unreal…

Would it have killed you guys to hold the game back a month in order to do it right? It’s not like there is another kart racer on the vita you would have been competiting with, instead you just lost sales by being lazy….

I honestly expect an answer, and if there is a rumoured patch to fix fps/multiplayer (I saw the old post) then when exactly is that happening???

+ Midgetguy on February 13th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

Hey, take the game for what it is…
Instead of complaining about what the game DOESN’T have, how about we praise the developers for doing a great job on all of the innovative features that ARE included!
The stuff Road Trip is doing in terms of location based gaming is pretty awesome, and I’ve never heard of a game doing things like that before!
The game looks absolutely beautiful, and plays like a dream!
The track creation is a perfect fit for the touch screen controls, and I can see myself spending a lot of time creating thing in it!
And, the fact that ALL PS3 content is shared in the Vita version means a pretty endless supply of replayability! Who wouldn’t like that?
Not to mention the fact that there’s Ad-Hoc multiplayer, trophies, and tons of unlockables! This game is PERFECT for gaming on the go!

+ Midgetguy on February 13th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

I’ve already bought my copy, and I have it sitting in my room now! (I don’t have the Vita yet, but I’m getting the early edition when it launches.)
To be honest, I’m not a big fan of the PS3 Modnation. (Sorry, it just felt clunky to me…) But, the Vita version is infinitely more robust and fine-tuned AND it’s got tons of great and innovative content and features! I simply HAD to support the developers by purchasing this fine title!
There’s tons of fun to be had in Road Trip, even without online multiplayer. Open your mind a little, and try to enjoy something new for once.

+ Sniffynose on February 13th, 2012 at 10:47 am said:

My eyes glazed over when I realized the load times too upwards of 40 seconds yet again… On the PS3 I couldn’t even play it because I spent 90% of the time in a loading screen. Guess they will never learn eh?

+ magicx11 on February 13th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

can’t wait to make my own custom tracks using the touch screen. But can we use the back panel to make tracks?

+ LionFranco on February 13th, 2012 at 10:56 am said:

@18.

I believe that the back panel is not used for the track portion, but for modifying terrain and stuff (pushing on back panel to raise terrain, and pushing on front panel to lower terrain, etc).

I cant wait to be able to play this, and hopefully we will get a multiplayer patch so that i can play with friends.

+ Pericynthion on February 13th, 2012 at 11:12 am said:

To @zekececil14 comment, I’d like to hear how the teams see the long term future for both MNR products , and also LBP Karting. I can’t help feel that we’re all going to buy both, but if MNR is going to get left on the shelf it would be a shame.

Something from United Front (who I hear is responsible for both) on at least what they forsee would be nice (I doubt I’ll only buy LBP:K for a move steering wheel :-) )

+ dragonmagician on February 13th, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I do think I will get some enjoyment out of it, and I am quite interested in trying out the distant traveled feature (not sure if/how well it works with Wifi only).

But from the reviews, load times sound really long and touch interface menus are bad (both of these points I have noticed in my brief demo at the store), and these will definitely ruin my “players experience”, and I doubt it is easily fixable. I mean, I understand the PS3 version having long load times (with it reading from a BR disk), but on a portable when I have a limited amount of time to play, it is difficult to accept.

+ Major_Hoare on February 13th, 2012 at 11:40 am said:

@15

“The game looks absolutely beautiful, and plays like a dream!”

– Great to hear you’re enjoying the game in spite of its having been gimped.

@16

“I don’t have the Vita yet, but I’m getting the early edition when it launches.”

– Oh, so your prior post was a bunch of BS because you haven’t actually played the game yet but that hasn’t stopped you from commenting on here as a fanboi troll.

+ Natureboy99 on February 13th, 2012 at 11:50 am said:

Will definitely look into this game after online multiplayer patch.

+ thenoobinator50 on February 13th, 2012 at 12:04 pm said:

I will still buy on launch day due to the fact that the development team is still considering or having conferences about adding online play. You, the developers, should add it. No online is the only thing keeping this game from selling millions. If nobody buys this game then the developers will not see a reason for spending time and money to add online. Support day one if you can.

+ Sniffynose on February 13th, 2012 at 12:24 pm said:

Should we “stay tuned” beyond the release date? IE: Don’t buy until we get a patch date?

3 things are killing this:

1: Frame rate issues, this game dies once things get crazy on screen, since it is a cartoon based racer with weapons, this happens to be quite often. Is this being fixed?

2: Load times are beyond horrible, to have to wait 40+ seconds for a 2 minute race is insane to say the least, again is this being looked into?

3: Online multiplayer: yup we heard there “might” be a patch down the line. I “might” become the next president of the USA, however the likelyhood of that happening is 0.

All it takes to save your fans and customer base is to announce that those 3 above issues are actively being fixed and that patch (with a date tagged to it) will be released to correct those issues.

If Sony is the reason you are being held behind maybe print my comment off for them, anyone with basic comprehension will understand that the things I mention can make or break a game aka investment!

+ TUSTIN1 on February 13th, 2012 at 12:43 pm said:

No sir, no online still equals no purchase.

The only chance you may have at getting any of my cash would be a sale on the PS3 career extension DLC. Even that isn’t a for sure purchase anymore considering how much time has passed.

+ Teflon02 on February 13th, 2012 at 12:49 pm said:

Firstly, the crap about Destructoid means NOTHING, why? they always hate on sony exclusives and GameRadar is not a site to be proud to see reviews on. Why don’t you show IGN’s or something, a review that matters?
IGN 7.0 and the game is great they said, but the load times and frame rate, plus no online knocked it down.
Now, I’m hearing some say just over 30 seconds, and one over 40. But now I ask, I thought it was confirmed to me last week it was shorter then the ps3 one. But when online the ps3 one loads faster or about the same as this version :/. I’m buying it and begging for a online announcement soon, and a patch that makes the game smoother and shorter loads, but other then that, the games looking amazing. Also if the online is added, Please 8 players vs online and not 4, because 4 will not be fun for longer then a week I promise you, especially when competing games in the genre have 8 players at 60fps thanks, and hope to hear a little more soon

+ Welford on February 13th, 2012 at 2:00 pm said:

“and we are quite excited to finally get them into the hands of gamers everywhere.”
everywhere but Japan :)

Do you at least have plans to release it in Japan? Can we get a rough idea when?

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on February 13th, 2012 at 5:37 pm said:

Hopefully all these problems get addressed as I’m getting this game with the Latinamerican Launch Bundle, I like the PS3 version a lot but load times are really a let down, I’m concerned with the IGN review, maybe I’ll just sell the game on launch day

+ DarkOne_PR on February 13th, 2012 at 11:23 pm said:

Guys did u saw what having no online made to the score of the game? I told guys… :(

I love the franchise! i tell u this bc im a day one buyer. but no online for this… sorry ill wait for the patch, if it cant be done then ill wait for LBP karting…. (BTW the name its horrible sony change that name ASAP)

+ TUSTIN1 on February 14th, 2012 at 3:02 am said:

With San Diego Studios doing MNR: Road Trip and MLB: The Show, it’s not hard to figure out how all the time and resources were allocated.

As far as people talking about LBP: Karting, we’ll just have to wait and see I guess. One thing I do know is the idea of a Move steering wheel is stupid and very Nintendo. I don’t want or need a new plastic peripheral for every game that comes out. People didn’t like steering with the Sixaxis (which if you tape a cardboard ring to it, is essentially a ‘Move steering wheel’) to steer and the functionality didn’t last beyond a couple of titles. Why would a Move steering wheel be any different – unless there’s some innovation I’m completely missing…

+ SHREEVEERA on February 14th, 2012 at 6:53 am said:

Absense of ONLINE Multiplayer game mode is one of the Biggest DISAPPOINTMENT for me.

I cancelled my pre-order just knowing the omission of this fun and crazy Online experience.

Is there any chance to add it eventually as an online PATCH or something??

Come on SONY, MNR could absolutely rival Mario Kart 7 on 3DS if it has some sensible Online multiplayer.

I’m totally waiting for it.

+ Khronikos on February 14th, 2012 at 9:06 am said:

To not have online in this is a complete and utter atrocity. Who and the **** are you guys selling this to? People that want your awful AI? How do drop the ball like this for a launch title. Your reviews are going to be horrendous because you rushed this. You are basically destroying the property right here and now with this awful launch. SONY REALLY needs to get some people to manage their business better because right now they don’t have a ******* clue.

Portable Modnation with crap single player, worse graphics, and no online. Uhhh, no thanks.

+ Garylisk on February 16th, 2012 at 8:15 am said:

Abysmal load times, major cheating, tracks that are just to get trophies clogging up the track creations lists, and pop culture references clogging up all the creations categories. That was MNR on PS3, which I bought brand new on release day, so hyped to finally see a great kart racer other than Mario Kart.

Boy was I wrong.

So sorry, Sony… I have to pass on this one, too. Until you can control cheating and come up with the technology to decrease load times, I will have to get my racing fix from WipeOut 2048, which will hopefully NOT have long load times.

+ atheistsw on February 17th, 2012 at 5:23 am said:

Just to say that Dragon’s Lair, by Biver_ is an AMAZING track, such a shame that on hotlap racers will likely only see half of what’s available, due to Biv’s unique structure, those going for the fastest timewon’t even get to visit the dragon’s lair, lol! :(

+ SackBoy153 on February 17th, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

ssssssssssssssswwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttttt yeah

+ thenoobinator50 on February 19th, 2012 at 12:39 pm said:

I played this game at my local Gamestop for ten minutes, and I have to say it is EXTREMELY AWESOME! The racing is just like the PS3 gameplay, I didn’t see any framerate issues, the tracks are awesome, and yes, you can have up to eight carts on the track. Now my every waking hour is spent waiting for the 22nd to come sooner. great job devs!

+ Angry_Goku on February 21st, 2012 at 3:06 am said:

I have to agree with Yaholo whats the point of customization if i cant show it off to friends online is there any new news if a patch is definitely being made for online because if not you have lost my pre-order will be canceling it